247 replies to this topic

#181 wvlaker

wvlaker

Rookie

• 253 posts
  • Fan Since:8 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 09, 2018 - 09:42 PM

Seems to me its about 50/50 homegrown and acquired.

Jamaal Wilkes another we acquired with a retired jersey. Along with...

Shaq, Wilt, Kareem, Gasol (will be retired without question), Goodrich

vs

Kobe, Magic, Worthy, West, Baylor

I may be forgetting someone.

Byron doesn't make list

Or Cooper

Or Horry

Or D Fish

in my mind all role players

I have no issue with acquiring players. I like taking a player that wasn't able to get over the hump elsewhere (Gasol, Shaq) and the Lakers elevate their game and legacy through a culture of winning vs adding a player who was winning titles elsewhere and it's simply our turn to share in their glory. If we can't find a way to win without having to add the established "best player in the world" it says a lot about how far our franchise has fallen. Things could go poorly over the next two months, but as of right now we're showing signs of finding ourselves again. I'd rather rebuild the Laker brand than be an extension of the LeBron brand. I think we can contend in the next 2 - 3 years even without him.

• LACAS likes this

hey 

#182 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,845 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted February 10, 2018 - 12:28 AM

These dudes look heart-broken.

Gonna miss them and hope them the best.

https://www.youtube....h?v=8IVDF3eF2Lg

There’s a video where Nance tell someone he “upgraded”

#183 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,350 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted February 10, 2018 - 03:26 AM

I have no issue with acquiring players. I like taking a player that wasn't able to get over the hump elsewhere (Gasol, Shaq) and the Lakers elevate their game and legacy through a culture of winning vs adding a player who was winning titles elsewhere and it's simply our turn to share in their glory. If we can't find a way to win without having to add the established "best player in the world" it says a lot about how far our franchise has fallen. Things could go poorly over the next two months, but as of right now we're showing signs of finding ourselves again. I'd rather rebuild the Laker brand than be an extension of the LeBron brand. I think we can contend in the next 2 - 3 years even without him.

Its going to be really really hard to compete against GS for the next 3-5 years without some of the best talent in the league.

Theres a chance without LeBron Lakers can reach the playoffs. I think thats possible.

But we have to realize GS is right now among the most powerful franchises ever built. As good or better than Boston, LA, CHI, SA ever was since the 80's.

Maybe Boston in the 60's theres a case for more dominance. And lakers in 50's a case to be made.

I'd say if Rockets don't get better, and Spurs don't get better (Leonard injury), OKC blows up, then Minny might even be the main competition in the next 3 years to GS.

Time will tell.

Our current guys are a long way from elite status or all star status. But for sure on uptrend.

I feel we still need to add not 2 major pieces, but 3 major pieces to be relevant again

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#184 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,470 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 10, 2018 - 04:18 AM

TBH I dont want LeBron

I just dont want him in a lakers jersey, cause to me that is just ehh.. wrong in a way.. He is not a true champion for me. He needed help and he always needs help.

• DeeZee and Oasis Lover like this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#185 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 3,072 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted February 10, 2018 - 05:13 AM

TBH I dont want LeBron

I just dont want him in a lakers jersey, cause to me that is just ehh.. wrong in a way.. He is not a true champion for me. He needed help and he always needs help.

oh god **rolls eyes**
  • Rekal and lakerfan98 like this
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#186 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,350 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 05:38 AM

I'm wondering which player of the 4 Cleveland acquired has the biggest impact/role in their quest to get back to finals??

Clarkson

Nance

Hill

Hood

I think maybe JC with the early chance

Hood would be my next pick

Edited by kball, February 10, 2018 - 05:38 AM.

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#187 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 3,072 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 06:20 AM

I'm wondering which player of the 4 Cleveland acquired has the biggest impact/role in their quest to get back to finals??

Clarkson
Nance
Hill
Hood

I think maybe JC with the early chance

Hood would be my next pick

oh god **rolls eyes**

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#188 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,098 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted February 10, 2018 - 06:22 AM

Its going to be really really hard to compete against GS for the next 3-5 years without some of the best talent in the league.

I dont think GS has another 3-5 of dominance left in them... I think they have 2-years of dominant basketball left... like many past dominant teams they seem to be bored and boredom can catch up on you.

#189 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,098 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 06:31 AM

I have said it many times I want PG and I dont care whether or not we get Bron, personally I rather pass on Bron... had this been 2-years ago my opinion would differ. My opinion is solely based on his age and mileage and the age of our team, I rather roll with a younger vet(s) such as PG or/and a Kahwi, guys who are old enough to lead yet young enough to grow with the kids.... in other words compete for years.

My opinion has nothing to do with like or dislike for Bron, there is no denying his greatness and place in the game... its taken us this long to finally see the light, Im in no rush at all especially at a time where no rush is needed (GS). In addition it is my opinion that even if we added Bron + PG we still are not beating GS.

Im not saying it will or could happen but my ideal scenario would be sign PG this summer, kids develop and progress, we have an entertaining and competitive team next season and next summer we bring in Kahwi.

Edited by LACAS, February 10, 2018 - 06:33 AM.

#190 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 3,072 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:09 AM

I have said it many times I want PG and I dont care whether or not we get Bron, personally I rather pass on Bron... had this been 2-years ago my opinion would differ. My opinion is solely based on his age and mileage and the age of our team, I rather roll with a younger vet(s) such as PG or/and a Kahwi, guys who are old enough to lead yet young enough to grow with the kids.... in other words compete for years.

My opinion has nothing to do with like or dislike for Bron, there is no denying his greatness and place in the game... its taken us this long to finally see the light, Im in no rush at all especially at a time where no rush is needed (GS). In addition it is my opinion that even if we added Bron + PG we still are not beating GS.

Im not saying it will or could happen but my ideal scenario would be sign PG this summer, kids develop and progress, we have an entertaining and competitive team next season and next summer we bring in Kahwi.

we are not beating GS with Kawhi either. He will never recover from injury bank it

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#191 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,072 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:48 AM

This is bull[expletive].  Kareem had a HOF career before coming to LA (6 dominant years and a ring).  Shaq had already been to the Finals and was headed to be the best C in the game when he signed in LA.  Lets NOT rewrite history. 

My reason for not wanting LeBron is legacy stuff for our franchise. The Lakers are a team that generates legends, not one that needs to be saved by one. I hate the idea that we'll be a contender or win it all again because it was simply our turn to have LeBron. I'm as tired as losing as everyone else, but I'd like to win with guys we built or with players who came here so the Lakers could take them to the next level not the other way around.

Kobe was here as a rookie.

Gasol never won a playoff game before he got here.

Shaq never won a Finals game before he got here.

Magic, Worthy, Byron, etc. all were here as rookies.

Kareem was the last guy who was a known winner before getting here.

Everything else was before most of our lifetimes, but aside from Wilt we established Baylor and West as they came as rookies.

Maybe it's because I don't live in LA, but getting excited about the Lakers just because they were next team to rent LeBron turns my stomach a little bit and would make winning a title feel like we got to be part of a player's legacy rather than a franchise's. 

I understand I'm in the minority though.

• MaceWindu likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#192 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,072 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:49 AM

So Kobe didn't need help?  Were you around when he was trying to get traded to Pluto?  Or does that not count?

TBH I dont want LeBron

• kball, Rekal and lakerfan98 like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#193 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,098 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:51 AM

we are not beating GS with Kawhi either. 

The difference is one is 33 year old with 14 years of heavy mileage while the other is 26 years old with 6 years of mileage... either way we aren't beating GS with either but with Kawhi we can compete longer.

#194 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,072 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:52 AM

The only reason I dont want Lebron is mainly b/c I want this team to have it's own legacy and for the young guys to grow into something hopefully.  Lebron can help them become a contender but at this stage of his career he'll always feel like a "hired hand" instead of our guy.  As a fan of the TEAM that matters.  Paul George is still young enough and doesnt have a legacy that can overshadow everything else going on.  There are also guys on this team that could be more popular than him.  No one is ever going overshadow Lebron until he retires.  I just dont want that circus here at his age.  I want something new and organic.  

• MaceWindu and LACAS like this

#195 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,098 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:54 AM

He will never recover from injury bank it

Wow.

#196 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,072 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:55 AM

Watching GS this year Im starting to get away from this thinking.  They are starting to appear much more mortal than some think.  It's extremely for teams to dominate for that many years and not drop off.  This year they likely win but next year fatigue and boredom and financial issues will take over.  If a team makes the right moves it could set them up to knock them off.  We already have the foundation with the type of players to match up with them.  Kuz/BI/Ball/Hart and potentially PG are great weapons vs them.  Of course they have KD and Steph but its worth going to battle.  Remember the ball doesnt care.  

The difference is one is 33 year old with 14 years of heavy mileage while the other is 26 years old with 6 years of mileage... either way we aren't beating GS with either but with Kawhi we can compete longer.

• MaceWindu and LACAS like this

#197 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,098 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:58 AM

Watching GS this year Im starting to get away from this thinking.  They are starting to appear much more mortal than some think.  It's extremely for teams to dominate for that many years and not drop off.  This year they likely win but next year fatigue and boredom and financial issues will take over.  If a team makes the right moves it could set them up to knock them off.  We already have the foundation with the type of players to match up with them.  Kuz/BI/Ball/Hart and potentially PG are great weapons vs them.  Of course they have KD and Steph but its worth going to battle.  Remember the ball doesnt care.  

Agreed for the most part.

You might be right but I think beating GS is feasible, beating GS in 7 not so much unless they're bit by injuries or boredom snuck up on them... to beat GS in 7 team X would have to play flawless near perfect basketball sustained for an entire series.

Edited by LACAS, February 10, 2018 - 08:00 AM.

#198 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,448 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 08:31 AM

If Kobe and shaq could appear mortal I think golden state can

Let’s be real 2001 lakers wipe the floor with golden state. Shaq would put up 50 a game on them
  • UKUGA likes this
Posted Image

#199 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,350 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 10:08 AM

I guess you guys can try to WISH GS to not be dominant.

But they still will be unless they lose 2 players out of the 4.

Not just 1.

One they can make up pretty easily.

I'm fine with it being their time and honestly it would be a lot more frustrating being a Houston fan right now.

But when STOPS matter in the playoffs and teams have to turn up the intensity on both ends of the floor, who does that better than GS?

They can be and are the best team in the league in the regular season, and they get better in the playoffs.

Thats a recipe for not only success but all time greatness. 

It will take another SUPERTEAM to beat them or a few of their guys nicked up to keep them from contributing.

Lakers still 3 to 4 moves away from being in a position to do that.

And even then...

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#200 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,448 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 10:17 AM

I guess you guys can try to WISH GS to not be dominant.
But they still will be unless they lose 2 players out of the 4.
Not just 1.
One they can make up pretty easily.

I'm fine with it being their time and honestly it would be a lot more frustrating being a Houston fan right now.

But when STOPS matter in the playoffs and teams have to turn up the intensity on both ends of the floor, who does that better than GS?

They can be and are the best team in the league in the regular season, and they get better in the playoffs.
Thats a recipe for not only success but all time greatness.

It will take another SUPERTEAM to beat them or a few of their guys nicked up to keep them from contributing.

Lakers still 3 to 4 moves away from being in a position to do that.
And even then...

I don’t think anyone is saying they’re not dominant

I think people are more saying that the clock is ticking on them. Also I think klay walks in 2019. I think klay wins another 2 rings with GS and decides he wants to spread his wings and be the guy somewhere else

Personal opinion nothing more
Posted Image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)