47 replies to this topic

#21 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 9,266 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 30, 2018 - 12:31 AM

you guys think DC's injury caused DJ's stock to rise?

Not sure if DJs stock has risen all that much. Clippers probably weren't too happy with how things are looking and if DJ - or even Lou Williams - were to leave they'd be a lottery team. Now they'll cash in whatever they can for Lou and DJ and be in position to chase a couple of max guys OR re-build from scratch.

#22 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,119 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 30, 2018 - 01:41 AM

Good (albeit far too late) move by the Clippers.. This should've been done years ago when his value was sky high.

He isn't getting any team anywhere as the lead guy.  Their chances of winning with him there were about as much as they are without him, so you might as well ship him out and start over.  It's smart to the fact that the Clippers don't have that stupid contract hanging over their heads for a guy that gets them nowhere.  Griffin has long been an insanely overrated player.

For the Clippers it's shedding salary to make a go-nowhere run at LeBron run next summer.

The Pistons are grasping at pointless straws with this.  Griffin may put a couple more butts in the seats, but they're going nowhere with him.  His salary is a giant albatross and he won't attract free agents.  His chasing away of Paul with his poor attitude saw to that.  Griffin is a second tier player that thinks he's a top tier player.  If he was willing to take a backseat in order to let someone else lead, he would have more success.  Ultimately, he won't do anything until he learns how to rebound better and play defense now and then.

The Pistons got blinded by a name and the Clippers are blinded by a false hope that they'll have a chance at LeBron.

As to this Lakers getting Jordan sentiment.  It won't happen because Jordan's contract runs through next season.  The Lakers won't add any money to the books that will cut into space for next summer.  I'm sure the Clippers aren't done yet.  My bet is the Cavs get Lou Williams and Jordan heads East to a team like Milwaukee or Indiana trying to solidify their playoff spot.

• bfc1125roy and LakerGeezer like this

#23 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,068 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 03:16 AM

Porzingis has been vocal about a vertical move that will push Knicks to playoffs this year. If the sides can sit and discuss the deal, a deal centered around Noah, picks and Jordan could work.

fXlFKv8.gif

#24 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,129 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 30, 2018 - 07:28 AM

I'd take Blake over PG every day of the week Fido.

As a comparison of 2nd tier players

Maybe PG is a 3rd tier player

• Busty Bluth likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#25 fido

fido

• 15,119 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 10:21 AM

Not me,. I like players who play defense and know their role on a team.

Dunking and pout prone players don't interest me at all.

#26 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,191 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted January 30, 2018 - 10:25 AM

Clippers should’ve tried to trade Blake for Durant couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • fido and LakerGeezer like this

#27 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,390 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 30, 2018 - 10:58 AM

wow the end of an era

thank you blake for bringing the trophy to LA.... NOT  :D  :D

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#28 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,572 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 11:39 AM

I think its a win win situation, especially for Clippers...

Pistons arent attractive enough to lure free agents like Blake.. So they get a name, although with a big price tag.

About time Clippers realize they arent going nowhere with BG...

#29 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,824 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted January 30, 2018 - 12:35 PM

Anyone who thinks the Clips got robbed needs to look at recent history and see a pattern.  2nd tier stars that can't truely carry a team but get paid like they do are going to bounce around a lot and don't cost the farm to acquire.  In the next year or two maybe we see this with Lillard, Wall, etc. 

Every time a non top 10-12 star gets traded we always say the selling team didn't get enough back but after PG, Boogie, Griffin I think the reality is this is just what these guys are worth. 

A productive player or a young player with upside PLUS a low lottery pick (10-14 range) PLUS some fillers (second rounder or an expiring contract) can get you a 2nd tier star if the circumstances are right.   

• Busty Bluth likes this

#30 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,129 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 30, 2018 - 01:15 PM

Anyone who thinks the Clips got robbed needs to look at recent history and see a pattern.  2nd tier stars that can't truely carry a team but get paid like they do are going to bounce around a lot and don't cost the farm to acquire.  In the next year or two maybe we see this with Lillard, Wall, etc. 

Every time a non top 10-12 star gets traded we always say the selling team didn't get enough back but after PG, Boogie, Griffin I think the reality is this is just what these guys are worth. 

A productive player or a young player with upside PLUS a low lottery pick (10-14 range) PLUS some fillers (second rounder or an expiring contract) can get you a 2nd tier star if the circumstances are right.   

Except PG and Boogie were in last year of their deals.

Blake was in first year

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#31 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,191 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted January 30, 2018 - 02:43 PM

The trick will be getting those 2nd tier guys into taking less than max.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • lakerfan98 likes this

#32 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 30, 2018 - 05:17 PM

Good move by the Clipps.  That core was going nowhere, barely a PO team at this point.  Detroit is going to really regret the deal.  But the Clipps just sent a terrible message to future potential FAs.

• fido likes this

#33 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,824 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 12:07 PM

Forgot to even mention Jimmy Butler.  Errmagerd the Bulls got hosed what a bad trade.....orrrr maybe it's just Jimmy Butler and everyone calm down lol.

There's a talent boom in the NBA right now and that dilutes the market value for second tier stars.  There wasn't even a sub-20 win team last season and doesn't project to be one this year either.  I think it was 2 years ago Wall put up 20 / 10 / 5 / 2 and didn't even make the all NBA 3rd team lol.  And the Wiz were a playoff team to boot.  There have been guys like that in the past Allan Houston, Rashard Lewis, Joe Johnson types but they were exceptions.  Not comparing Wall to them directly to be clear I'm just saying there is a larger pool of 2nd tier stars than there was 15-20 years ago.  I remember reading an article a while back suggesting the Blazers trade Lillard before or right after they extended him for this very reason.  Not a top 10, true #1 option franchise player but you have to pay him like he is and that caps how successful the team can become.      

Edited by lakerfan98, January 31, 2018 - 12:08 PM.

#34 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,227 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 01:38 PM

Forgot to even mention Jimmy Butler. Errmagerd the Bulls got hosed what a bad trade.....orrrr maybe it's just Jimmy Butler and everyone calm down lol.

There's a talent boom in the NBA right now and that dilutes the market value for second tier stars. There wasn't even a sub-20 win team last season and doesn't project to be one this year either. I think it was 2 years ago Wall put up 20 / 10 / 5 / 2 and didn't even make the all NBA 3rd team lol. And the Wiz were a playoff team to boot. There have been guys like that in the past Allan Houston, Rashard Lewis, Joe Johnson types but they were exceptions. Not comparing Wall to them directly to be clear I'm just saying there is a larger pool of 2nd tier stars than there was 15-20 years ago. I remember reading an article a while back suggesting the Blazers trade Lillard before or right after they extended him for this very reason. Not a top 10, true #1 option franchise player but you have to pay him like he is and that caps how successful the team can become.

The lakers were sub 20 wins. They won 17 and the sixers were as well with 10 wins
Posted Image

#35 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,824 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 12:47 PM

The lakers were sub 20 wins. They won 17 and the sixers were as well with 10 wins

I know time flies in these lean years but that wasn't this season or last lol.  

#36 fido

fido

• 15,119 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 05:57 PM

Busty, I proposed that deal here three years ago (when both teams would've been willing to do it) and got roasted for the thought.

#37 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,227 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 08:47 PM

I know time flies in these lean years but that wasn't this season or last lol.

Ya I guess so lol
Posted Image

#38 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,545 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted February 01, 2018 - 11:32 PM

Let’s ride this season out and see which FA’s come round!

#39 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 04, 2018 - 08:27 AM

The scrubs they got for Biff looked good against the Bulls, but then who hasn't?

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#40 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,531 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 04, 2018 - 07:09 PM

Busty, I proposed that deal here three years ago (when both teams would've been willing to do it) and got roasted here for the thought.

3 years ago, if you're referring to the 2015-2016 season, Blake played just 35 games with the quad injury while Kevin Durant was top 5 in MVP voting and easily viewed as the best all round scorer in basketball...

The Thunder weren't going to trade KD ever....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users