Photo

LaVar Ball slams Lakers coach Luke Walton again: 'They don't want to play for him'

lavar ball luke walton

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 460 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kyle Kuzma

Posted January 07, 2018 - 11:19 AM

BIRSTONAS, Lithuania -- LaVar Ball says Los Angeles Lakers coach Luke Walton has lost the team.

Ball, who was up at 5 a.m. local time Saturday to watch his son Lonzo Ballin his first game back with the Lakers since suffering a sprained shoulder on Dec. 23, expressed his frustration with Walton in an exclusive interview with ESPN.

"You can see they're not playing for Luke no more," Ball said from a spa resort in Birstonas, where he is staying while his two youngest sons, LiAngelo and LaMelo, get ready to make their professional debuts with Lithuanian team Prienu Vytautas. "Luke doesn't have control of the team no more. They don't want to play for him.""That's a good team," he added of the Lakers, who have lost nine straight games. "Nobody wants to play for him. I can see it. No high-fives when they come out of the game. People don't know why they're in the game. He's too young. He's too young. ... He ain't connecting with them anymore. You can look at every player, he's not connecting with not one player."

LaVar Ball has had issues with his sons' coaches the past few years and even pulled LaMelo from Chino Hills High prior to the start of the season because of problems with first-year coach Dennis Latimore.

"Lonzo looked good, but he also looked disgusted," Ball said. "He was ready to play. Four minutes left in the first quarter, he dunked it, getting in a flow and Coach sits him down. Sat him down. Now game goes from four points to 10 to 15 to 20. I don't know what they're doing. If he's ready to play, let him play. Don't try and monitor no minutes, put on restrictions."

When Lonzo Ball was replaced by Kyle Kuzma with 4:38 left in the first quarter of Friday night's 108-94 loss to the Charlotte Hornets, the Lakers were down 22-18. When Ball re-entered the game to start the second quarter, they were down 28-24. Ball, who missed six games with the injury, finished with 11 points and five assists in 27 minutes.

Lavar Ball also said he is confident that LeBron James, whom he has never met, will be coming to the Lakers this offseason as a free agent.

"LeBron's coming to L.A. I know he's coming to L.A.," Ball said. "LeBron is not a fool. What's the only way he can beat Jordan? You can't get more championships. Only one way, to say every team I've gone to I've won a championship. Go to Lakers and win a championship, then you're better than Jordan.

"You can't give my son the best player in the league, and don't expect them not to win. Get rid of everybody. Give him LeBron and Gelo [LiAngelo Ball]. You got a 2 and a 3. And it's a win. It's a wrap. Then all you need are two rebounders -- [Julius] Randle and [Larry] Nance Jr."

But even with James, Ball doesn't feel that Walton is the right man to lead the Lakers to a title.

"Even if you bring in a LeBron or a [Paul] George, he can't coach them guys," he said. "What is he gonna tell them? He's too young. He has no control."

http://www.espn.com/...alton-lost-team

Edited by dbtbandit67, January 07, 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#2 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,845 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 07, 2018 - 11:32 AM

lol he’s just a nutty guy
  • GCMD likes this

#3 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 460 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 11:37 AM

He's sounding less and less like a sinister man with an agenda and more like an overly supportive soccer dad with a very loud microphone.

The Lakers would have the same record regardless of who was coaching them. If you gave them Popovich things would be worse.

It's not Luke's fault!

• pkflyers likes this

#4 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 238 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 07, 2018 - 12:05 PM

The media lives off attention. Lavar's a cash cow in that regard. Other than that, what he says is worthless.

• Rekal likes this

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,223 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 07, 2018 - 12:45 PM

LaVar is no more different than any Lakers fan on a blog or message board.  Not sure why he bothers people so much. 

• FranklinPeanuts, GCMD, pkflyers and 2 others like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#6 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,250 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 01:04 PM

ESPN is fake news. Here they go again twisting words in an attempt to make a headline. Did the same thing to Kobe and he called them out for it.

https://www.twitter....071320053628933

#7 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,890 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 07, 2018 - 02:58 PM

ESPN is fake news. Here they go again twisting words in an attempt to make a headline. Did the same thing to Kobe and he called them out for it.

Yea thats not even that bad. ESPN at it again. 

#8 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,582 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 07, 2018 - 03:15 PM

I actually agree with him based off on what he said and how e said it. Reading the op had me saying STFU lol I can’t stand ESPN writers

ap1.png

#9 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,890 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 05:21 PM

Luke Walton says a few NBA coaches have reached out to him today about LaVar Ball’s comments. They’ve been supportive and told him not to worry about a parent’s opinion.

lol what?

#10 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,890 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 05:23 PM

Several NBA coaches plan to ask media relations staffs to revoke credentials of basketball writers who interview LaVar Ball, league sources tell AmicoHoops. Ball was critical of Lakers coach Luke Walton in comments made to ESPN.

Bad precedent. 

#11 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,562 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 07, 2018 - 05:47 PM

Lavar Ball knows whats up.

#12 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,569 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 07, 2018 - 06:05 PM

Sam Amico
@AmicoHoops

Several NBA coaches plan to ask media relations staffs to revoke credentials of basketball writers who interview LaVar Ball, league sources tell AmicoHoops. Ball was critical of Lakers coach Luke Walton in comments made to ESPN.

Bad precedent.

So they are mad Lavar is telling the truth? Wow
  • Rekal likes this

#13 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,498 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 07:49 PM

So they are mad Lavar is telling the truth? Wow

No they’re mad that this guy has a platform to even tell the “truth” not saying anything about lavar

But lol if anyone thinks this is purely about lavar and not also about the sports reporters who created him.
Posted Image

#14 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,890 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 09:18 PM

I asked Luke about taking Lonzo out early to get run with the second unit. It was supposed to be a basketball question. His response? “His dad was talking [expletive] so I took him out early.” He was obviously joking but I damn near fell out of my chair.

• Rekal likes this

#15 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,845 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 07, 2018 - 09:39 PM

Laker Film Room@LakerFilmRoom 3m3 minutes ago

More

I asked Luke about taking Lonzo out early to get run with the second unit. It was supposed to be a basketball question. His response? “His dad was talking [expletive] so I took him out early.” He was obviously joking but I damn near fell out of my chair.

having fun lol

LaVar is a fan; his opinion is whatever
As long as Lonzo reminds professional

Edited by Rekal, January 07, 2018 - 09:43 PM.

#16 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,242 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 07, 2018 - 11:39 PM

Lavar is a dad.

Media has made him out to be far worse than he is.

I say ignore it and watch the game.

• bfc1125roy, Jody Smokes and LACAS like this

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#17 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,772 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 08, 2018 - 09:24 AM

He is serious click bait for espn... the e on ESPN is for entertainment and they have that with him.
  • Rekal likes this

#18 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,890 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 10:21 AM

NerdOnPistons ‍♂Retweeted NerdOnPistons ‍♂

This led to a pretty spirited exchange between SVG and I as I sought clarity as to whether he was threatening to withhold access. Not doing that. But threatening to withhold what he deems extra cooperation.

NerdOnPistons ‍♂Verified account @Vincent_Ellis56 8m8 minutes ago

More

NerdOnPistons ‍♂Retweeted NerdOnPistons ‍♂

Regard ESPN game vs. #Wizards on Jan. 19, #Pistons SVG said he wrote in an e-mail to Adam Silver: "I'm not meeting with their announcing crew before the game, I'm not doing in-game interview. I’m not going to participate in the thing."

#19 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 460 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 11:38 AM

I think Lonzo is the only one that can make his dad stop. His dad depends on him financially. I wouldn't go so far as to threaten to cut that off, that's your family for God's sake, but you know, Lonzo needs to ask his dad to stop. Lonzo, ask your dad to stop. And if things keep getting out of hand, take it from there.

#20 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,223 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 08, 2018 - 11:55 AM

I may get a warning for this but this clown [expletive].  His Father and Mother raised 3 boys, fed and clothed them all their [expletive]ing lives.  How the [expletive] can you assume that his dad "depends" on him to live?  From what we know he wasn't some deadbeat dad sitting around waiting on his kid to be drafted.  He worked and took care of HIS FAMILY. Lonzo doesn't NEED to do ANYTHING he doesn't want to do.  Some of yall want that braggadocious black man to go away so bad you forget that the reason you even have Lonzo to root for is because of his upbringing. 

He's no different than most good parents.  Some people just love the microphone.  If that's the worse he can do he's harmless in terms of society.  Lavar doesn't owe Luke or the Lakers [expletive].  He can say wtf he wants when he wants as long as he can stand by what he says.  If Lonzo doesn't have an issue then neither should you. 

I think Lonzo is the only one that can make his dad stop. His dad depends on him financially. I wouldn't go so far as to threaten to cut that off, that's your family for God's sake, but you know, Lonzo needs to ask his dad to stop. Lonzo, ask your dad to stop. And if things keep getting out of hand, take it from there.

Edited by Jody Smokes, January 08, 2018 - 11:56 AM.

• Massacre, bfc1125roy, JayTheGreat and 3 others like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lavar ball, luke walton

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users