4843 replies to this topic

#1781 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,879 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 14, 2018 - 05:41 AM

In a vacuum definitely Lebron but if it means not being better short term without the Bron drama sure I can wait. 

Serious question...not sure if this is possible financially due to rookie contracts and extensions. Haven’t looked that far.

But do you take 33 year old LeBron this year or 27 year old AD in 2020...knowing he’ll likely be top 3 at that time and only trending upwards.

• LACAS likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#1782 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,966 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 14, 2018 - 05:51 AM

http://www.espn.com/...-angeles-lakers

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Julius Randle has heard more times than he cares to count how Magic Johnson and the Los Angeles Lakers will put on a full-court press this summer for two superstar free agents at his expense.

The Lakers' big man is fully aware that his future is tied solidly to the team's master plan to woo the likes of LeBron James and Paul George this summer and that he will more than likely have to go to help clear up to $70 million in cap space.

"Oh, man, it came to a certain point where I was just numb to it," Randle said.

But Randle is not sitting idly by and accepting whatever his fate may be. Instead, he's doing all he can to show the Lakers, and the rest of the league, what he can do.

With James in Staples Center for perhaps the last time as a Cleveland Cavalier on Sunday, Randle turned in a superstar performance, posting a career-high 36 points, 14 rebounds, seven assists and two blocks before a nationally televised audience. He made his final nine shots and scored 19 points in the last 18 minutes to turn a close game into a Lakers rout.

Randle is trying to alter the narrative about him having to go in order to land James and George by playing the best basketball of his career, and in the process, he's doing his best to make the Lakers think twice about what to do with him.

"I haven't talked to a lot of other coaches about him, but what he's doing right now, he has to be on everyone's radar," Lakers coach Luke Walton said. "He's playing unbelievable basketball. He's a matchup nightmare for teams; he's versatile. This is just me guessing, but I would imagine most teams are pretty impressed with what he's doing."

Even James had to take notice of Randle, who is averaging 18.4 points and 9.1 rebounds since entering the starting lineup on Dec. 29.

"Everybody's had a hard time with him as of late," James said.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#1783 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,966 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 06:27 AM

"He's that hybrid forward position that five or six years ago, there wasn't necessarily a place for him in the league," Miami coach Erik Spoelstra said before Randle set the tone by bullying the Heat for 21 of his 25 points in the first half of a 131-113 Lakers win on March 1. "And now everybody is trying to find a guy like that."

But, we should let him walk because we are stuck with Luol Deng's contract?

I'm not buying it anymore. 

Edited by UKUGA, March 14, 2018 - 08:16 AM.

• FranklinPeanuts, Busty Bluth and Rekal like this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#1784 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,879 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 14, 2018 - 08:28 AM

The thing about all the max free agent talk is that things are fluid.  Most of that was before the year started.  Look at the growth that we saw from Randle and Ingram this year.  They also would have never expected Hart and Kuzma to be this good out the gate.  I honestly think they'll prioritize Randle over Paul George this offseason based on the other players alone. 

Lebron might be the only one that complicates things but we don't even know what he wants.  I hope he stays put b/c I like the balance in the league we are seeing.  The Warriors are so good they aren't fun anymore.  I'd like us to get somewhere around the 2016 Dubs team one day in terms of pure fun and winning. 

• UKUGA, Busty Bluth, K-Kris and 1 other like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#1785 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,968 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted March 14, 2018 - 08:50 AM

The thing about all the max free agent talk is that things are fluid.  Most of that was before the year started.  Look at the growth that we saw from Randle and Ingram this year.  They also would have never expected Hart and Kuzma to be this good out the gate.  I honestly think they'll prioritize Randle over Paul George this offseason based on the other players alone. 

Lebron might be the only one that complicates things but we don't even know what he wants.  I hope he stays put b/c I like the balance in the league we are seeing.  The Warriors are so good they aren't fun anymore.  I'd like us to get somewhere around the 2016 Dubs team one day in terms of pure fun and winning. 

I agree with this, Im hoping Lakers roll with PG and Randle.

#1786 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,162 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted March 14, 2018 - 09:42 AM

I agree with this, Im hoping Lakers roll with PG and Randle.

Do you guys not want a championship?

Who the hell cares how we win one? I don't understand this young player love fest.
  • fido and bfc1125roy like this

#1787 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,129 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted March 14, 2018 - 09:43 AM

I also wonder if PG may be odd man out.

I think i may be leaning team LeBron and Randle

• Busty Bluth likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#1788 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,162 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted March 14, 2018 - 09:45 AM

I also wonder if PG may be odd man out.
I think i may be leaning team LeBron and Randle

Lebron is not coming here to play with our current roster lol

Edited by KidRN, March 14, 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#1789 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,628 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 14, 2018 - 10:00 AM

And he will choose Houston who has no money
No wait... He will choose philly? No wait.. they're too young
He will stay with Cle because the stars ate therr. No..
Ummm

OH yea.. how aboutnthe Lakers. Noo. They're too young too. In that case.. He should retire

I got it. He's going to San Antonio. There it is folks. LeBron is going to play with Pau LA and Leonard. There it is. And retire happily in Texas

Whatever
  • Busty Bluth, MaceWindu and Rekal like this

#1790 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,968 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted March 14, 2018 - 10:05 AM

Who the hell cares how we win one? I don't understand this young player love fest.

Are you guaranteeing me a championship?

#1791 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,964 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 14, 2018 - 10:09 AM

Agree 100%. Obviously you do everything to keep him, but if we have to lose him to get LBJ and PG, then by all means Julius who? 

#1792 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,966 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 10:16 AM

Agree 100%. Obviously you do everything to keep him, but if we have to lose him to get LBJ and PG, then by all means Julius who? 

But . . .

Why is it you have to sacrifice him?  

Is there anyone else you can sacrifice to keep him?

Randle is arguably the best player on our roster.

You have a quote from Erik Spoelstra saying, "everybody is trying to find a guy like (him)."  

The Lakers have him, but we let him walk.  Why?

Because he's not good?   It's not that.

Because he doesn't fit with what we're trying to do?  It's not that.

He's bad in the locker room?  It's not that.

We have a replacement for him already on the roster?  It's not that.

Why?  

All I can see is that we would let him walk because we can't unload Deng's contract.  

So, what can be done to get rid of Deng's contract?

Is letting Randle walk for nothing really the Lakers only option for getting George and James?

Or, is attaching another asset (Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart, Bryant, 1st round pick, etc.) also a possibility?

Why is it untenable that we would attach the necessary asset to unload Deng, but we would just let Randle walk away for nothing? 

IMO, if it comes to that, then this situation has been poorly managed. 

• Busty Bluth and Adam like this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#1793 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,190 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted March 14, 2018 - 10:26 AM

The only thing that is insane was for you to make such loud statements about why Randle didn't fit the offense and wasn't a system player who couldn't make his teammates better, when all we had at that time were a bunch of young guys with raw talent. In my opinion you dont give up on talented guys just because of questions of fit in a system that weren't even determined yet. 

We kept Randle, which was good. And the coach you didn't want us to get - Luke - has done a fine job at putting him in a position to succeed and lo and behold, we added a 3pt shooting C, a few shooters and a PG that could attack and now he's really really good.

And you were ready to give up Randle for AJ [expletive]ing Hammons because he would fit the system better? That's the part that's insane. 

Yes.  Let's do this.  Let's prove why everything I said was right and you were wrong, again.

If you want to rehash this, let's take it to the Randle thread.  I have no problem with that.  

Let's make this CLEAR:

If you want to discuss what I said about Randle last year, we will use Randle's PLAY last year.
If you want to discuss what I said about Randle THIS YEAR, see my first post in that thread.

You won't be able to dispute one single point I made.

Sad part is, your level of basketball knowledge leads you to believe you have a point.  You don't even know how wrong you have been.

And if you're going to quote me, quote me in context.  If you're going to just throw out random comments, you're on your own.  I won't waste my time with foolishness.

Basketball Knowledge😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1794 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,964 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 10:59 AM

But . . .

Why is it you have to sacrifice him?  

Is there anyone else you can sacrifice to keep him?

Randle is arguably the best player on our roster.

You have a quote from Erik Spoelstra saying, "everybody is trying to find a guy like (him)."  

The Lakers have him, but we let him walk.  Why?

Because he's not good?   It's not that.

Because he doesn't fit with what we're trying to do?  It's not that.

He's bad in the locker room?  It's not that.

We have a replacement for him already on the roster?  It's not that.

Why?  

All I can see is that we would let him walk because we can't unload Deng's contract.  

So, what can be done to get rid of Deng's contract?

Is letting Randle walk for nothing really the Lakers only option for getting George and James?

Or, is attaching another asset (Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart, Bryant, 1st round pick, etc.) also a possibility?

Why is it untenable that we would attach the necessary asset to unload Deng, but we would just let Randle walk away for nothing? 

IMO, if it comes to that, then this situation has been poorly managed. 

Obviously if you can keep Randle and get them then you do. But I'm talking about the mutually exclusive scenario. In that case you go with LBJ and PG over keeping Randle + PG. 

#1795 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,897 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted March 14, 2018 - 01:20 PM

I'll be pissed if Deng's contract ends up being the reason we have to let Julius go ..

• UKUGA and bfc1125roy like this

#1796 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted March 14, 2018 - 01:29 PM

I think Ukaga brought up a great point. this discussion for LBJ/PG/JR has mostly been framed in the context of two of the three but not all three. And despite being aware of not needing to let randle go for nothing, I still lost sight of that. So mad props for bringing that back to our attention. 

It all comes down to deng. I don't know who was mentioning it or what thread but someone was throwing around the idea that deng has two years left. the second year would be a big fat 18 million dollar expiring and that would be an ​asset​. The problem is next season's 18 million dollars. we need to pay teams to eat that contract and I think some combination of the two first round picks we have in 2018 and 19 and the Chicago 2nd round pick, cash considerations, and maybe a young player (their place in the rotation would not be higher than #8) will get it done. 

I honestly think we'll have lonzo, ingram, George, james, randle, kuzma, and hart on the team next year. hopefully lopez signs a team friendly deal and sticks around. having a 7' stretch five to play with that team would be incredible. we're going to have our cake and eat it too. 

• UKUGA likes this

#1797 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 321 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 01:31 PM

can someone tell us how cash considerations work in a trade? any limitations? deng +first + five million anyone?

five sounds like a lot but if we signed the other first round and second round pick that'd be like 1.5 million anyways 

...and it's not my money either so..

#1798 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,964 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 01:40 PM

I'll be pissed if Deng's contract ends up being the reason we have to let Julius go ..

Thank cupcake for that

• LACAS likes this

#1799 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,964 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 01:40 PM

I think Ukaga brought up a great point. this discussion for LBJ/PG/JR has mostly been framed in the context of two of the three but not all three. And despite being aware of not needing to let randle go for nothing, I still lost sight of that. So mad props for bringing that back to our attention. 

It all comes down to deng. I don't know who was mentioning it or what thread but someone was throwing around the idea that deng has two years left. the second year would be a big fat 18 million dollar expiring and that would be an ​asset​. The problem is next season's 18 million dollars. we need to pay teams to eat that contract and I think some combination of the two first round picks we have in 2018 and 19 and the Chicago 2nd round pick, cash considerations, and maybe a young player (their place in the rotation would not be higher than #8) will get it done. 

I honestly think we'll have lonzo, ingram, George, james, randle, kuzma, and hart on the team next year. hopefully lopez signs a team friendly deal and sticks around. having a 7' stretch five to play with that team would be incredible. we're going to have our cake and eat it too.

A pick won't be enough to make a team eat Deng. He's dead weight considering he hasn't even played this year. Best thing to do is extend and stretch. 

#1800 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 321 posts

Posted March 14, 2018 - 01:49 PM

deng has two years. one is total crap. the other is a valuable expiring contract worth 18 million!!! 

we need to pay a team to take that first crap year.

can we have a discussion about which teams could do that and then what we could offer them to actually do it? 

Philly has space but not a lot of incentive. If they strike out in FA they might be buyers though. only way they're buyers is if all their targets sign quickly and I don't think that'll be quick enough for us. 

actually the hawks, bulls, mavs, pacers, and lakers are projected to have cap space. there are a handful of teams that can create cap space - kings, suns, grizzlies, sixers. 

someone mentioned Chicago in some thread. 

• UKUGA likes this

56 user(s) are reading this topic

15 members, 39 guests, 0 anonymous users

MambaMentality, Julien, DaSmoothOperator, GCMD, mrclutch, Jackson, bfc1125roy, LakeShow1o1, bigfetz, Miggs, Japago, Bing (2), Nightmare, Massacre, Disaster in Paradise, GenkiSushi