#1601 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 8,184 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 06, 2018 - 02:56 PM

Outside of Dwight (at the time).  I remember I got killed on these forums for suggesting those guys would pass AND that they were bad ideas to sign.  I was team tank in 13-14 lol.  Glad everyone else came around. 

Yeah, I too was not too high on either Melo or Aldridge.  The fact that we've gotten 3 consecutive second round picks and have compiled what we currently have now since then is pretty damn good.

The only thing that hurt in regards to Aldridge was the negative feedback and slaughtering of our front office in how they handled the pitch.  That summer really placed our FO in an extremely bad light and fortunately our new one has come around to repairing and reshaping that image.

I’m talking about the now. I was team tank too in those years. I wanted to build our own stars. Everytime we lost I was excited like we won. Only person out of that list I wanted was Howard. But that turned out to be a blessing. All I’m saying is I’m tired of the cap room talk. You got PG13, you got Lebron, You got DMC. Go get one! Or build your own Lonzo, Ingram, Randle, Kuzma. So I’m not saying we should have taken everybody or anybody I’m just tired of the cap space talk.

Of course now is the time to go all in.  The Lakers, as well as any competitive sports franchise never truly wants to "hold onto cap space".  Not only are there huge financial risks and drawbacks in doing so, but for a large market team (2nd in the entire league) it's obvious that Magic and Pelinka want/need a true star.  The only thing holding us back of course is an actual star player wanting to bring his talents here. 

Even with money it's going to be very tough.  Regardless of the whole George and Lebron talk, my big question mark is the Julius Randle one.  His value is very difficult to gauge and I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to pay him with or without a guy like PG13 or Lebron on our roster.  It's evident that he's been a key contributor on both ends and is a guy whom truly helps make our lineups more versatile, but is he worth what he'll be asking for?

#1602 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,043 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted March 06, 2018 - 04:01 PM

Lebron and KD were left off of that list! We couldn't even get a meeting with KD.

The cap space game was old last season. At some point you need to either commit to our young guys or commit to a quick rebuild. Saving cap space doesn't help our young core. That space could be used to bring in players that can help them develop and gain confidence.
  • Rekal likes this

#1603 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,845 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted March 06, 2018 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, I too was not too high on either Melo or Aldridge. The fact that we've gotten 3 consecutive second round picks and have compiled what we currently have now since then is pretty damn good.

The only thing that hurt in regards to Aldridge was the negative feedback and slaughtering of our front office in how they handled the pitch. That summer really placed our FO in an extremely bad light and fortunately our new one has come around to repairing and reshaping that image.

Of course now is the time to go all in. The Lakers, as well as any competitive sports franchise never truly wants to "hold onto cap space". Not only are there huge financial risks and drawbacks in doing so, but for a large market team (2nd in the entire league) it's obvious that Magic and Pelinka want/need a true star. The only thing holding us back of course is an actual star player wanting to bring his talents here.

Even with money it's going to be very tough. Regardless of the whole George and Lebron talk, my big question mark is the Julius Randle one. His value is very difficult to gauge and I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to pay him with or without a guy like PG13 or Lebron on our roster. It's evident that he's been a key contributor on both ends and is a guy whom truly helps make our lineups more versatile, but is he worth what he'll be asking for?

If you believe he can grow.
Than absolutely.

#1604 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 29,550 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 06, 2018 - 04:22 PM

Well on the PG front. 

OKC is 1.5 games ahead of the 9-seed, with 17 games remaining. Their schedule includes Houston twice, Golden State, Toronto, Boston, San Antonio twice, Portland, LAC, Denver, NOLA, and Miami twice. Given their performance of late, it may be more likely that they miss than make.

• LACAS likes this

#1605 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,654 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 06, 2018 - 07:27 PM

They get 7th or 8th seed its the same result.  First round exit. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#1606 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 8,184 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 07:36 PM

If the Thunder don't even make the playoffs, would that team be a bigger disappointment than the Howard, Kobe, Nash, Metta, Gasol project we had?

#1607 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,043 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 07:42 PM

If the Thunder don't even make the playoffs, would that team be a bigger disappointment than the Howard, Kobe, Nash, Metta, Gasol project we had?

No...Kobe is one of the greatest of all time, Dwight was the best C in the nba, and Nash is also an all time great. That team was considered to be more stacked but age and injuries killed them. Dwight had already carried a team to the finals and Kobe had 5 rings. They were on a different level. Imo the Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton team was a bigger disappointment than both.

Edited by KidRN, March 06, 2018 - 07:45 PM.

• LakeShow1o1 and kball like this

#1608 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,672 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 09:44 PM

No...Kobe is one of the greatest of all time, Dwight was the best C in the nba, and Nash is also an all time great. That team was considered to be more stacked but age and injuries killed them. Dwight had already carried a team to the finals and Kobe had 5 rings. They were on a different level. Imo the Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton team was a bigger disappointment than both.

Disagree

Dwight was coming off a major back injury and couldn’t move correctly at all

Nash broke his leg early

Okc has been completely healthy. I mean sure the names were bigger but the players themselves were shells of their former selves

Kobe had to carry them

I feel as though the 2004 lakers made it to the finals and in reality Payton and Malone were both past their primes by a long shot

This okc team obviously doesn’t have the names at the level of those 2 teams but it’s 3 guys totally in their primes and one guy in Melo who’s just on the other side of his

They’re most definitely a massive failure
Posted Image

#1609 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,961 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 06, 2018 - 10:03 PM

I’m talking about the now. I was team tank too in those years. I wanted to build our own stars. Everytime we lost I was excited like we won. Only person out of that list I wanted was Howard. But that turned out to be a blessing. All I’m saying is I’m tired of the cap room talk. You got PG13, you got Lebron, You got DMC. Go get one! Or build your own Lonzo, Ingram, Randle, Kuzma. So I’m not saying we should have taken everybody or anybody I’m just tired of the cap space talk.

Sure. But it should be over pretty soon. LA has two summers to spend - 18 and 19 - and after that the extensions start to kick in which means that we wont really be players in free agency.

This summer we will be going hard after one or both of George and Lebron.

Just heard Kevin O'Connor from the Ringer say on their podcast that "if it's not Cleveland, LA just feels like a no-brainer". The reason being all the young prospects, the and development of Lonzo and Ingram and that Lebron and George would result in every veteran would want to go there.

#1610 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,961 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 10:06 PM

Disagree

Nash broke his leg early

Okc has been completely healthy. I mean sure the names were bigger but the players themselves were shells of their former selves

Kobe had to carry them

I feel as though the 2004 lakers made it to the finals and in reality Payton and Malone were both past their primes by a long shot

This okc team obviously doesn’t have the names at the level of those 2 teams but it’s 3 guys totally in their primes and one guy in Melo who’s just on the other side of his

Exactly. The Lakers were completely destroyed by injuries where the Thunder doesn't really have an excuse for being crap.

#1611 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,977 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 10:18 PM

The Lakers were the bigger disappointment only when you factor in pre-season expectations. A lot of people expected that team to win the title. Started 0-11, fired the coach 5 games in.

But they weren’t THAT terrible...it was the injuries. That team ran 3-4 different offenses in one season and it felt as though every game was going to be the “break through one.” When everyone was healthy, they weren’t terrible and Kobe as we know him basically died carrying that team into the playoffs. Disappointment, sure...but in a different way than OKC. Dwight wasn’t Dwight, Pau was out for months, MWP missed some time, Nash was out for months, Kobe was banged up at the end...3 different coaches. It was a mess.

OKC is just...terrible. Everyone is healthy, they have a reigning MVP and they still can’t put it together.

Edited by Massacre, March 06, 2018 - 10:20 PM.

• lakerfan98 likes this

#1612 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 8,184 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 11:51 PM

The Thunder's woes actually surprise me...

Steven Adams is basically the most niche Tyson Chandler esque center you can find in the NBA.

Melo is still a very serviceable stretch 4 and a pretty elite offensive player.

PG13 is playing at an extremely efficient level on both ends.
Westbrook is Westbrook

The fact that they're barely slipping into the playoffs is beyond me.

#1613 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,961 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 01:20 AM

The Thunder's woes actually surprise me...

Steven Adams is basically the most niche Tyson Chandler esque center you can find in the NBA.

Melo is still a very serviceable stretch 4 and a pretty elite offensive player.

PG13 is playing at an extremely efficient level on both ends.
Westbrook is Westbrook

The fact that they're barely slipping into the playoffs is beyond me.

Westbrook is the problem and he's always been the problem.

He's extremely productive and an insane competitor, but it comes at a cost on the defensive end and in terms of building an actual team.

#1614 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,977 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 02:01 AM

Westbrook has been in the league 10 seasons and still hasn’t grasped the concept of moving when you don’t have the ball.
  • Jody Smokes and LACAS like this

#1615 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,609 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 02:17 AM

OKC has no future. In 2-3 years they are going to trade Westbrook for "rebuild" or Westbrook will bolt in FA. It is not totally Westbrook's fault. They should have kept Harden. Harden - Westbrook dynamics could have turned into one hell of a combo 6 years ago. (Time really flies huh) I would think Durant would stay in that scenario as well.

fXlFKv8.gif

#1616 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,654 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted March 07, 2018 - 05:26 AM

Even with his issues he's not all to blame at all.  Without him the Thunder are a guaranteed lottery team.  He has his quirks tho.  The biggest issue is that they have way too many non skilled players getting minutes like Jerami Grant, Josh Heustis and Patrick Patterson filling out their rotation.  Melo has been a disappointment on both ends. 

When Melo isn't playing they always seem to do a bit better. 

Westbrook is the problem and he's always been the problem.

He's extremely productive and an insane competitor, but it comes at a cost on the defensive end and in terms of building an actual team.

• DanishLakerFan likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#1617 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,982 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 07, 2018 - 05:46 AM

No.

Not only were the Lakers supposed to win a title that year; but, the moves made that summer were supposed to position the Lakers for a continued successful run.

So many things blew up that season, from firing Brown, to not hiring Phil, to Nash's injury, Gasol's inconsistency, and ultimately the ruptured Achilles.

On top of that, we blew a chance to trade Dwight, and then let him walk for nothing, we also didn't trade Gasol (that season, or the next), when we might have been able to get something for him; we over-used Kobe, and missed a potential opportunity for him to transition gracefully into the twilight of his career.  Plus, we are still paying for that Nash trade, given that we don't have our first round pick and it is once again going to be a lottery pick.   (We are fortunate that it didn't cost us more, given that we "won" the lottery the last two years, letting us draft Ingram and Ball, rather than giving up the pick already).

OKC took a swing, knowing  that at the end of the day, they still have a prime Westbrook under contract going forward.  (Although he didn't sign until after they made other moves, including George).   They still looked like they would be no better than 3rd in the West, and didn't look like a team that could seriously upend GSW.

OKC is a small-market club, and not a free agent destination.  If this falls apart and George walks, they can still retool around a healthy Westbrook.

The Lakers had nothing to rebuild around, so they over-paid Kobe.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#1618 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,043 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 06:32 AM

Disagree
Nash broke his leg early
Kobe had to carry them

OKC was never supposed to even make the finals though. Those lakers teams were looked at as favorites to win it all.
  • UKUGA, Jody Smokes and LACAS like this

#1619 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 12,187 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 07, 2018 - 07:50 AM

This can be debated. Both are disappointments to me.the Lakers were chosen to win that year but dis not. OKC made moves this season to try to beat GS, they don't have the complimentary pieces to go with theor big 3.

#1620 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,582 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted March 07, 2018 - 08:39 AM

Crazy that if Harden wins MVP Presti will have drafted three of them and kept the worst one lol

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)