#3221 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,900 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:21 PM

That team with the right role players could be a contender. You have 2 elite defensive players who can also give you 30 points on any night. Would much rather have that than George + young guys and praying one of them becomes as good as Leonard. 

I've been on this forum (and many others) since it was getgarnett.com under different names. The CP3 trade getting nixed pissed me off enough to re register. I can link you to the threads I described... 

http://lakernation.c...guard-mitchell/

http://lakernation.c...+thompson +pick

Where will you find these role players?  You can use the arguement that "a team with the right role players" for pretty much any franchise with 2 perennial All-Stars. George and Kawhi are great two-way players but even with decent quality role players you're still no match for GSW and the Rockets.

Reading the first thread, I saw alot of people comparing Farmar to Rondo and spewing alot of random stuff.  It's safe to say 95% of those posters aren't even active on this forum anymore.

As for the Klay Thompson thread, only one person valued Meeks over Thompson, which was Majesty.  99% of the other post that I saw in that thread had people rating Klay much higher than Meeks.

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#3222 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,583 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:25 PM

Where will you find these role players?  You can use the arguement that "a team with the right role players" for pretty much any franchise with 2 perennial All-Stars. George and Kawhi are great two-way players but even with decent quality role players you're still no match for GSW and the Rockets.

Reading the first thread, I saw alot of people comparing Farmar to Rondo and spewing alot of random stuff.  It's safe to say 95% of those posters aren't even active on this forum anymore.

As for the Klay Thompson thread, only one person valued Meeks over Thompson, which was Majesty.  99% of the other post that I saw in that thread had people rating Klay much higher than Meeks.

We will have cap space and there will be plenty of FAs looking to sign with us. That's how championship rosters are typically filled out. Nobody is itching to play with 4 unproven young guys. We have 0 perennial all stars right now.

I'm pretty sure there was more than just a few folks overhyping our young guys in those threads - but that's besides the point, I'm not going to dig through those.  I picked two of the most egregious examples, but we've overrated our young talent for a long time as a fanbase, and it's time to stop doing that. We don't have any "sure bets" like Utah, Philly, Minnesota, etc. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 16, 2018 - 01:25 PM.

#3223 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,900 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:26 PM

Lakers would be able to add other players to that in FA though. Keep in mind you're subtracting the salaries of the players the Lakers are sending out in the trade for Kawhi. I think PG13 + Leonard trade + Randle would equate to $55 million if the Lakers are able to keep Randle under his cap hold while they go for other free agents.

I think Leonard is better than what Ingram and Kuzma hope to become one day. So, it's worth it if he gives a good indication he'll re-sign and lures in Paul George and/or LeBron. People take for granted that Paul George will actually want to go to the Lakers by himself. You got number 1 + 2 options on a championship team and the hope for good developments for Ball and Randle instead of hoping for good developments from 4 players to build a championship team.

Let's say the Lakers trade Ingram and Kuzma for Kawhi.

Lonzo = $7.5 million

George = $30 million (rough estimate)

Kawhi Leonard = $19 million

Julius Randle = $15 (rough estimate, he may even get more)

Luol Deng = $18 million

Josh Hart = $1.5 million

Ivica Zubac = $1.5 million

That's already over $90 million in cap space.  You're not signing any quality role players with the remaining $11 million considering the max cap projection is at $101 million, maybe one decent player at best.

#3224 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,583 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:32 PM

Lonzo = $7.5 million

Luol Deng = $18 million

Josh Hart = $1.5 million

That's already over $90 million in cap space.  You're not signing any quality role players with the remaining $11 million considering the max cap projection is at $101 million, maybe one decent player at best.

You have the MLE - plus Deng becomes an expiring. 

#3225 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,900 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:36 PM

You have the MLE - plus Deng becomes an expiring. 

The MLE is $8.8 million which is spare change.  No quality role player is going to sign for a non-championship contender for $8.8 million.  If we're fortunate enough, Brook Lopez will take the MLE, but even then it's a reach.

As for Deng, he doesn't become an expiring contract until the 2019-2020.  By 2019-2020, we would have already resigned Kawhi to a max contract if we followed the path you suggested.

Hypothetical Pay-Roll in 2019-2020 (considering we traded for Kawhi)

Lonzo Ball - $9 million

Kawhi Leonard - $35 million (considering we resigned him to a max contract)

Paul George - $30 million

Luol Deng - $20 million (expiring contract)

That's already roughly $94 million in cap space spread across 4 players.  With the max cap limit for the 2019-2020 season projected at $108 mil, you only have $14 million (not even counting minor role players such as J Hart, Zubac, etc) in flexibility which once again, is nothing.  Deng's expiring contract is meaningless for a team trying to shed salary immediately.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, May 16, 2018 - 01:43 PM.

#3226 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,787 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:41 PM

Yea. Deng is on for 2 more years

That's Jimmy Fallon EW!

Edited by FranklinPeanuts, May 16, 2018 - 01:42 PM.

#3227 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,583 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:42 PM

The MLE is $8.8 million which is spare change.  No quality role player is going to sign for a non-championship contender for $8.8 million.  If we're fortunate enough, Brook Lopez will take the MLE, but even then it's a reach.

As for Deng, he doesn't become an expiring contract until the 2019-2020 season so...

That roster is a contending roster, so we can get players for cheap, plus things like a veteran's minimum actually become useful.

Right on Deng - so you gain some additional flexibility a season later, which was my point. And a lineup of...

Ball/PG/Leonard/x/Randle

With Hart, and maybe a few other guys like a Thomas Bryant coming off the bench - could be a problem in the league. No team will ever have the offense to beat the Warriors in their current state, but good defense can get the job done. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 16, 2018 - 01:44 PM.

#3228 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,900 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:48 PM

That roster is a contending roster, so we can get players for cheap, plus things like a veteran's minimum actually become useful.

Right on Deng - so you gain some additional flexibility a season later, which was my point. And a lineup of...

Ball/PG/Leonard/x/Randle

With Hart, and maybe a few other guys like a Thomas Bryant coming off the bench - could be a problem in the league. No team will ever have the offense to beat the Warriors in their current state, but good defense can get the job done. 

I'm sorry but that ain't no problem in the league.  That's a single ant in the sock of of the Warriors.

Veterans and players aren't going to be signing for cheap and taking a paycut to play alongside Kawhi and Paul George when they can simply go 300 miles north to play alongside a Western Conference juggernaut whom will have made their 5th/6th straight finals appearance.

With Deng, you gain flexibility LATER, but weren't you one to say that we shouldn't wait because by then George will be declining and exiting his prime?

Edited by LakeShow1o1, May 16, 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#3229 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,399 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:54 PM

Lonzo = $7.5 million

Luol Deng = $18 million

Josh Hart = $1.5 million

Lakers could always trade or stretch Deng. Without Deng, the numbers are significantly better.

Kawhi >>>>> relying on either Ingram or Kuzma to get to that level.

I think people here just really overrate the young core and their likelihood of developing into stars. I think that's all it really comes down to.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#3230 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,583 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 02:00 PM

I'm sorry but that ain't no problem in the league.  That's a single ant in the sock of of the Warriors.

Veterans and players aren't going to be signing for cheap and taking a paycut to play alongside Kawhi and Paul George when they can simply go 300 miles north to play alongside a Western Conference juggernaut whom will have made their 5th/6th straight finals appearance.

With Deng, you gain flexibility LATER, but weren't you one to say that we shouldn't wait because by then George will be declining and exiting his prime?

That is a problem for them. The way you beat the Warriors is to have a switch heavy defense and play physical to disrupt their shooters rhythm just enough. PG and Leonard can make Durant and one of the Splash bros have a hard time. At that point, with the right coaching, you can help Randle develop into a strong defensive player and bother Green. That's enough to eek out victories. On top of that, you have Lonzo Ball at point guard, making it so we can switch all the Warriors screens, making their split actions that much tougher to deal with. Think of it as a combination of what the Celtics are doing now to the Cavs (or the Warriors to the Rockets quite frankly) plus what the Cavs did to Curry in 2016.

On offense, Leonard and George are solid there, plus you have Ball to facilitate. 

With Deng, that's 1 year you have to wait, versus 3-4 or even more for the young guys to develop and that's when George will be exiting his prime. Leonard who's even younger extends your contending window also.

Veterans will be pining at the chance to dethrone the Warriors - who most players around the league are not a fan of - and join 3 unselfish players in George, Leonard, and Ball 

We're overrating our young players. Best case scenario is Ingram becomes Leonard. Why not just get the sure thing?

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 16, 2018 - 02:03 PM.

• GCMD likes this

#3231 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,900 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 02:00 PM

Lakers could always trade or stretch Deng. Without Deng, the numbers are significantly better.

Kawhi >>>>> relying on either Ingram or Kuzma to get to that level.

I think people here just really overrate the young core and their likelihood of developing into stars. I think that's all it really comes down to.

Stretching Deng opens up about an additional $12-$14 milloin per year I believe, which will get you a single quality role player, maybe the JJ Reddick type caliber, but even then that's not going to take this roster over the hump.

I don't overrate the young talent, I just believe that banking on their development and having talent on rookie contracts is what provides for the much needed financial flexibility in this current era.

The players that you can get for cheap and that will allow you to have financial flexbility are the young players we currently have right now in Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, etc.  That's why you keep them and hope that they develop into something star-like.  Sure Kawhi is a proven commodity and easily the best two-way player in the league now  that Lebron's defense has fallen off, but a duo of Kawhi and George surrounded by even the best role players is still no match for the Warriors.

Hell, the Rockets have Harden playing at an MVP caliber level, Chris Paul a hall of fame point guard, Clint Capela one of the top defensive big men in the league, alongside a bunch of top notch role players in Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, Trevor Ariza, PJ Tucker, and even Gerald Green providing some quality minutes. 
Yet the Warriors make them seem irrelevant and will likely win the series 4-1.

Yeah sure, maybe people are overrating our young talent and there's no guarantee that Kuzma and Ingram will ever even scratch the surface of what Kawhi produces.  However, the financial flexibility and the production that both Ingram and Kuzma can provide cumulatively may be better than what Kawhi provides alone.  On top of that, there may be a really good chance Kawhi signs here in 2019 (A CHANCE).

• LACAS likes this

#3232 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,583 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 02:05 PM

Stretching Deng opens up about an additional $12-$14 milloin per year I believe, which will get you a single quality role player, maybe the JJ Reddick type caliber, but even then that's not going to take this roster over the hump.

I don't overrate the young talent, I just believe that banking on their development and having talent on rookie contracts is what provides for the much needed financial flexibility in this current era.

The players that you can get for cheap and that will allow you to have financial flexbility are the young players we currently have right now in Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, etc.  That's why you keep them and hope that they develop into something star-like.  Sure Kawhi is a proven commodity and easily the best two-way player in the league now  that Lebron's defense has fallen off, but a duo of Kawhi and George surrounded by even the best role players is still no match for the Warriors.

Hell, the Rockets have Harden playing at an MVP caliber level, Chris Paul a hall of fame point guard, Clint Capela one of the top defensive big men in the league, alongside a bunch of top notch role players in Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, Trevor Ariza, PJ Tucker, and even Gerald Green providing some quality minutes. 
Yet the Warriors make them seem irrelevant and will likely win the series 4-1.

Yeah sure, maybe people are overrating our young talent and there's no guarantee that Kuzma and Ingram will ever even scratch the surface of what Kawhi produces.  However, the financial flexibility and the production that both Ingram and Kuzma can provide cumulatively may be better than what Kawhi provides alone.  On top of that, there may be a really good chance Kawhi signs here in 2019 (A CHANCE).

The Rockets have 2 problems

1) Their offense is predicated on PnR generating mismatches which they exploit via ISOs. The Warriors versatile defensive players make this a problem.

2) It's a D'Antoni team, they play lackluster defense. Harden is one of the biggest culprits. Paul is getting up there in age and not as good as he's used to. Ariza and Capela help, but the other guys you mentioned like Anderson and Gordon are matadors.

The Rockets are an offensive team. I stated before that's NOT how you beat the Warriors. You beat them with defense - and we'll have 2 elite defensive players in George and Leonard.

Also, if you value flexibility so much, what will you do with George and 4 young guys?

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 16, 2018 - 02:06 PM.

#3233 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,900 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 02:18 PM

The Rockets have 2 problems

1) Their offense is predicated on PnR generating mismatches which they exploit via ISOs. The Warriors versatile defensive players make this a problem.

2) It's a D'Antoni team, they play lackluster defense. Harden is one of the biggest culprits. Paul is getting up there in age and not as good as he's used to. Ariza and Capela help, but the other guys you mentioned like Anderson and Gordon are matadors.

The Rockets are an offensive team. I stated before that's NOT how you beat the Warriors. You beat them with defense - and we'll have 2 elite defensive players in George and Leonard.

Also, if you value flexibility so much, what will you do with George and 4 young guys?

I agree with everything you stated about the Rockets, their coaching and gameplan is the polar opposite of what you want facing head to head with GSW.

They're trying to outshoot/outscore the Warriors which is a recipe for failure.

With George, Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, and Randle.  I'd hope to see some growth and development their first year together.  Possibly a playoff birth.  Magic and Pelinka have shown that they may have interest in maintaining financial flexiblity for 2019 so hopefully if things work out you can sign an additional star player that offseason whether it be Kawhi or Klay (I think he resigns with GSW).

The 2019 free agency class is also filled with a bunch of quality role players and All-Star caliber players in Paul Milsap, Al Horford, Kevin Love, Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka, Ryan Anderson, Goran Dragic, Draymond Green, and a list of other names.  I'm not saying the Lakers should go after said players, but the market in general will be filled with quality talent.  Much deeper than this years class and previous years.

2018-2019 Lakers Salary

Lonzo = $9 million

George = $30 million

Brandon Ingram = $6 million

Kyle Kuzma = $1.7 million

Luol Deng = $18 million

Julius Randle = $15 million (rough estimate of if we were to resign him)

That's roughly $80 million across 6 players.  I'd use the remaining $20 or so million as well as the MLE to sign quality role players on 1 year deals to maintain the financial flexibility heading into the 2019 offseason.  If you decide to not resign Randle, then you'd have a max slot available for 2019.

The 2019-2020 contracts will be very similar give or take $2-3 million.  

I don't think Pop let's Kawhi walk for nothing, but I do think that their relationship has gone down the drain and there's no way he wears a Spurs uniform come 2019.

My plan does bank on alot of chips falling in place and of course, my hope in the youth developing at a reasonable rate.  People seem to get crucified for wanting to take a risk in hopes that our young players develop.  

Edited by LakeShow1o1, May 16, 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#3234 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,250 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted May 16, 2018 - 02:27 PM

We go for LBJ and PG and trade our young guys for Leonard if needed. If you look a few pages back I posted a framework for the offseason already.

This forum has had the tendency to overrate our young talent tremendously. I've been hearing the same [expletive] starting from way back in the day with Jordan Farmar, Andrew Goudelock, Devin Ebanks, even Clarkson and Nance (look how they are doing now). We don't know how good Ingram, Randle, Kuzma, and Ball will be. Better to get the proven talent now.

I dont think anyone is opposed to signing James and PG then trade for Leonard.

#3235 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,900 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 02:32 PM

I dont think anyone is opposed to signing James and PG then trade for Leonard.

Some are opposed to it depending upon who you're trading.  I for one am willing to trade one key young player but find it pointless to trade a plethora of them in order to get him.

The reason being is because when you have a player like Lebron, the best way to maximize his production and abilities is surrounding him with shooters and having depth.  I'm not saying Kawhi wouldn't work alongside Lebron, I just think it's best to have more production at numerous positions if you get Lebron.

#3236 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,250 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted May 16, 2018 - 02:35 PM

Some are opposed to it depending upon who you're trading. I for one am willing to trade one key young player but find it pointless to trade a plethora of them in order to get him.

The reason being is because when you have a player like Lebron, the best way to maximize his production and abilities is surrounding him with shooters and having depth. I'm not saying Kawhi wouldn't work alongside Lebron, I just think it's best to have more production at numerous positions if you get Lebron.

would you do Kuzma Ingram and a first round pick? I would if that was an option

#3237 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,900 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 02:43 PM

would you do Kuzma Ingram and a first round pick? I would if that was an option

Crucify me but no I wouldn't.  I have a lot of faith in Kuzma and Ingram, and yeah there's a good chance they never reach Kawhi's level of skill and production.  However, there's also a slim chance they exceed our expectations and develop into special guys.  Maybe neither ever each Kawhi, but both individually given their skillets may collectively be better.

I like Kuzma and Ingram because the production to cost ratio is a huge bargain.

In the next 2-3 years this is their payroll.

Kuzma = 2018 ($1.6 mil), 2019 ($1.9 million), 2020 ($3.5 million), 

Ingram = 2018 ($5.7 million), 2019 ($7.2 million), 2020 ($9.5 million)

With Kawhi alone, yes you'd be getting perrenial All-Star type production, but at the cost of $35 million per year. With Ingram and Kuzma, you're possibly getting All-Star type production for a combined $6-$11 million.  On top of that, you even have the chance of signing Kawhi anyways in 2019.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, May 16, 2018 - 02:44 PM.

• LACAS and Adam like this

#3238 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,583 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 03:21 PM

I agree with everything you stated about the Rockets, their coaching and gameplan is the polar opposite of what you want facing head to head with GSW.

They're trying to outshoot/outscore the Warriors which is a recipe for failure.

With George, Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, and Randle.  I'd hope to see some growth and development their first year together.  Possibly a playoff birth.  Magic and Pelinka have shown that they may have interest in maintaining financial flexiblity for 2019 so hopefully if things work out you can sign an additional star player that offseason whether it be Kawhi or Klay (I think he resigns with GSW).

The 2019 free agency class is also filled with a bunch of quality role players and All-Star caliber players in Paul Milsap, Al Horford, Kevin Love, Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka, Ryan Anderson, Goran Dragic, Draymond Green, and a list of other names.  I'm not saying the Lakers should go after said players, but the market in general will be filled with quality talent.  Much deeper than this years class and previous years.

2018-2019 Lakers Salary

Lonzo = $9 million

George = $30 million

Brandon Ingram = $6 million

Kyle Kuzma = $1.7 million

Luol Deng = $18 million

Julius Randle = $15 million (rough estimate of if we were to resign him)

That's roughly $80 million across 6 players.  I'd use the remaining $20 or so million as well as the MLE to sign quality role players on 1 year deals to maintain the financial flexibility heading into the 2019 offseason.  If you decide to not resign Randle, then you'd have a max slot available for 2019.

The 2019-2020 contracts will be very similar give or take $2-3 million.  

I don't think Pop let's Kawhi walk for nothing, but I do think that their relationship has gone down the drain and there's no way he wears a Spurs uniform come 2019.

My plan does bank on alot of chips falling in place and of course, my hope in the youth developing at a reasonable rate.  People seem to get crucified for wanting to take a risk in hopes that our young players develop.  

Some are opposed to it depending upon who you're trading.  I for one am willing to trade one key young player but find it pointless to trade a plethora of them in order to get him.

The reason being is because when you have a player like Lebron, the best way to maximize his production and abilities is surrounding him with shooters and having depth.  I'm not saying Kawhi wouldn't work alongside Lebron, I just think it's best to have more production at numerous positions if you get Lebron.

Crucify me but no I wouldn't.  I have a lot of faith in Kuzma and Ingram, and yeah there's a good chance they never reach Kawhi's level of skill and production.  However, there's also a slim chance they exceed our expectations and develop into special guys.  Maybe neither ever each Kawhi, but both individually given their skillets may collectively be better.

With Kawhi alone, yes you'd be getting perrenial All-Star type production, but at the cost of $35 million per year. With Ingram and Kuzma, you're possibly getting All-Star type production for a combined $6-$11 million.  On top of that, you even have the chance of signing Kawhi anyways in 2019.

Guess I'm just less risk tolerant than you, and that's where we'll have to agree to disagree. As I think the approach you've outlined, while valid, is not optimal. 

#3239 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,694 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 16, 2018 - 03:29 PM

Crucify me but no I wouldn't. I have a lot of faith in Kuzma and Ingram, and yeah there's a good chance they never reach Kawhi's level of skill and production. However, there's also a slim chance they exceed our expectations and develop into special guys. Maybe neither ever each Kawhi, but both individually given their skillets may collectively be better.

With Kawhi alone, yes you'd be getting perrenial All-Star type production, but at the cost of $35 million per year. With Ingram and Kuzma, you're possibly getting All-Star type production for a combined $6-$11 million. On top of that, you even have the chance of signing Kawhi anyways in 2019.

You have to pay these guys eventually. Those rookie deals dont last forever. Look at the Randle situation right now. Is that what you want to go through with every young player?

We could just as easily put ourselves in a situation where he have a team that is barely a 6th seed and we have no cap space. This is what usually happens when teams try to build this way. Those teams usually don't have the free agent options that we will have this offseason. Look around the league at all the teams with no cap space that are nowhere near a title, we are not immune to this. If one of these players never become a superstar, it doesn't matter how much depth we have.

Edited by KidRN, May 16, 2018 - 03:31 PM.

• GCMD and bfc1125roy like this

#3240 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,399 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 16, 2018 - 03:41 PM

I don't think you understand how special it is to have the kind of player that can lead a team to a championship as its best player. That kind of player is worth more than 2 regular all-stars. And, I don't know if Ingram and Kuzma will even be that good.

I don't think getting him in 2019 will be a good possibility because I think he'll get traded if he doesn't re-sign with the Spurs this off-season. And, I think it'll be a good team that will be able to re-sign him if he does like Philadelphia. I think the Thunder situation with Paul George is a rare occurrence. Besides, that would have the Lakers rely on the young core yet again to attract a major FA. At the very least, I don't see them being good enough by that time. They're not going to be all-stars next season.

• bfc1125roy likes this

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)