11281 replies to this topic

#3201 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,954 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 16, 2018 - 11:02 AM

I’m I don’t see Brad Stevens as a “great” coach but a very good one certainly, enduring and adapting to roster changes esp star players out gives him big ups but I see the present Lakers beatin’ these Cavs that have no D or inspired players except non hoop plays check JR’s stats he should be benched or waived, drinking Henny right after a game is not good preparation for the series imo. Well I’ll be watching the draft not just for Laker picks but competitors as well. If our choices equal the recent past we’re on greAt shape Zubic future is in his hands but we’ll still need another center and 3 point shooters to maximize Lonzo’s talents and he’llneed To strengthen hisbodyand offense to be a more complete player

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, May 16, 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#3202 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,568 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 16, 2018 - 11:21 AM

So what did you do in the seasons where LA didn't win or couldn't win?  Cry? Didn't watch? Cuz between 05-08 LA wasn't winning [expletive]

I didn't support management until they got Ariza and Gasol. But I'm still a fan of the team after all.

I just don't like this small-minded mindset of it's okay we'll just get PG, be a bottom seeded playoff team, and not make any more moves. We're the Lakers, we have to swing big. Winning rings is the only thing that matters. That mentality is what makes guys like Kobe and Jordan so great. If you don't agree with me, like I said, I'm sure the Raptors could use some more fans. 

• DaSmoothOperator likes this

#3203 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,886 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 16, 2018 - 11:51 AM

I didn't support management until they got Ariza and Gasol. But I'm still a fan of the team after all.

I just don't like this small-minded mindset of it's okay we'll just get PG, be a bottom seeded playoff team, and not make any more moves. We're the Lakers, we have to swing big. Winning rings is the only thing that matters. That mentality is what makes guys like Kobe and Jordan so great. If you don't agree with me, like I said, I'm sure the Raptors could use some more fans. 

Of course every fan of a given team wants their team to compete for a chip, but your mindset and mentality of "swinging big" and "making moves" is very flawed. You act as if it's an easy task to gather a championship contender.  There's a reason only a combination of the same 3-4 teams or a Lebron led team has won the title in the past 2 decades.

All people on the forum are saying is be realistic and accept the fact that there's a much greater chance that we only acquire 1 key piece this offseason and slowly build up and progress, rather than somehow miraculously acquiring (A) the best player in the league in Lebron, (B) trade for the best two way player in the league in Kawhi, and © sign Paul George.

This isn't baseball where you can throw money at players and have a huge pay roll.

This isn't the earlier era of basketball where the Los Angeles spotlight and fame made it a MUST COME location for star players.

Also side note... what does a players winning mentality in Kobe and Jordan have anything to do with a fans perception of a team?   

• Jody Smokes likes this

#3204 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,954 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 16, 2018 - 11:54 AM

Agree we are “the LAKERS” don’t ever forget that! Some of us have endured far worse in the early days playing at the Sports Arena before the Forum was even built! Losing to the Celtics over n over til we became the feared ones!
  • FranklinPeanuts likes this

#3205 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,378 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:09 PM

Of course every fan of a given team wants their team to compete for a chip, but your mindset and mentality of "swinging big" and "making moves" is very flawed. You act as if it's an easy task to gather a championship contender.  There's a reason only a combination of the same 3-4 teams or a Lebron led team has won the title in the past 2 decades.

All people on the forum are saying is be realistic and accept the fact that there's a much greater chance that we only acquire 1 key piece this offseason and slowly build up and progress, rather than somehow miraculously acquiring (A) the best player in the league in Lebron, (B) trade for the best two way player in the league in Kawhi, and © sign Paul George.

This isn't baseball where you can throw money at players and have a huge pay roll.

This isn't the earlier era of basketball where the Los Angeles spotlight and fame made it a MUST COME location for star players.

Also side note... what does a players winning mentality in Kobe and Jordan have anything to do with a fans perception of a team?   

I have a problem with people who say the Lakers should stick to the core and not even go for the super-team, not people who say it's unlikely to happen. I actually agree with that.

It seems to be a given among certain fans that the Lakers' core will develop into contenders on their own, which is utterly ridiculous based on what they've actually done on the basketball court so far.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#3206 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,568 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:23 PM

I have a problem with people who say the Lakers should stick to the core and not even go for the super-team, not people who say it's unlikely to happen. I actually agree with that.

It seems to be a given among certain fans that the Lakers' core will develop into contenders on their own, which is utterly ridiculous based on what they've actually done on the basketball court so far.

This is what I'm saying

#3207 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,886 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:24 PM

There has been alot of different scenarios presented throughout the offseason.  

In my opinion, and I'm sure most will agree, is that the player with the highest odds of coming to LA is probably Paul George.

If there were to happen, then there's no combination of trades you can make that will put LA in contention.  If you only have PG, the best route is to keep the youth movement going and allow them to develop their games alongside a proven star.  

#3208 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,568 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:24 PM

Then what's the plan? We sign PG, and by the time our young guys develop and we know if they're any good, PG is exiting his prime? That accomplishes nothing.

Or we sign PG and then try to sign Leonard or Klay in summer 2019? That's very unlikely to happen.

That's the only two plans I've seen from people in that camp, and that's not going to work. We have to be more strategic than that. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 16, 2018 - 12:25 PM.

#3209 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,886 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:29 PM

Then what's the plan? We sign PG, and by the time our young guys develop and we know if they're any good, PG is exiting his prime? That accomplishes nothing.

Or we sign PG and then try to sign Leonard or Klay in summer 2019? That's very unlikely to happen.

That's the only two plans I've seen from people in that camp, and that's not going to work. We have to be more strategic than that. 

What is going to work then?

What is your plan?

#3210 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,378 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:31 PM

There has been alot of different scenarios presented throughout the offseason.  

In my opinion, and I'm sure most will agree, is that the player with the highest odds of coming to LA is probably Paul George.

If there were to happen, then there's no combination of trades you can make that will put LA in contention.  If you only have PG, the best route is to keep the youth movement going and allow them to develop their games alongside a proven star.  

I'm saying the Lakers should at least go for Kawhi trade and a LeBron signing. It's perfectly ok to say that's unlikely to happen. But, that should be plan A instead of hoping the young players develop.

If it comes to that, fine. In fact, I don't even think George goes to the Lakers by himself without Kawhi and/or LeBron going to the Lakers as well.

Some fans legitimately don't want Kawhi and/or LeBron to go to the team at all and think banking on the core players to develop into those type of players is a better option. That's my only issue here.

Edited by Japago, May 16, 2018 - 12:33 PM.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#3211 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,886 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:33 PM

I'm saying the Lakers should at least go for Kawhi trade and a LeBron signing. It's perfectly ok to say that's unlikely to happen. But, that should be plan A instead of hoping the young players develop.

If it comes to that, fine. In fact, I don't even think George goes to the Lakers by himself without Kawhi and/or LeBron going to the Lakers as well.

Okay that's perfectly fine.  I too agree that if you have Lebron and George, you should towards some extent be willing to trade a few assets in order to try and lure Kawhi. 

Albeit the odds are very slim it all falls in place, I'm on that boat.

However, what would you suggest the Lakers do if George is the only star that is obtainable in the free agent market?  

#3212 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,250 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:46 PM

Magic Johnson last month,

“Kyrie Irving got with young, talented players,” Johnson said. “It’s not that you have to have a Big Three anymore. You have to have young horses to go with a superstar or two.”

If the Lakers sign only PG, it’s not unrealistic for them to keep a max slot open and let the young guys keep growing with PG. It’s actually very likely. That’s a good team that will improve yearly...doesn’t mean we don’t want championships or are content with a middling team. This is just one step, not everything happens in one summer.

Edited by Massacre, May 16, 2018 - 12:46 PM.

• FranklinPeanuts and LakeShow1o1 like this

#3213 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,568 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:52 PM

What is going to work then?

What is your plan?

We go for LBJ and PG and trade our young guys for Leonard if needed. If you look a few pages back I posted a framework for the offseason already. 

This forum has had the tendency to overrate our young talent tremendously. I've been hearing the same [expletive] starting from way back in the day with Jordan Farmar, Andrew Goudelock, Devin Ebanks, even Clarkson and Nance (look how they are doing now). We don't know how good Ingram, Randle, Kuzma, and Ball will be. Better to get the proven talent now. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 16, 2018 - 12:52 PM.

#3214 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,886 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:55 PM

We go for LBJ and PG and trade our young guys for Leonard if needed. If you look a few pages back I posted a framework for the offseason already. 

This forum has had the tendency to overrate our young talent tremendously. I've been hearing the same [expletive] starting from way back in the day with Jordan Farmar, Andrew Goudelock, Devin Ebanks, even Clarkson and Nance (look how they are doing now). We don't know how good Ingram, Randle, Kuzma, and Ball will be. Better to get the proven talent now. 

Again, my question is what do you do if George is the only player that comes?  Because in all likelihood, it'll probably be just him.

And please, Farmar, Goudelock, Ebanks, Clarkson, and Nance never had the potential that our current guys in Ingram, Kuzma, and Lonzo do.   STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#3215 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,568 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:55 PM

Magic Johnson last month,

“Kyrie Irving got with young, talented players,” Johnson said. “It’s not that you have to have a Big Three anymore. You have to have young horses to go with a superstar or two.”

If the Lakers sign only PG, it’s not unrealistic for them to keep a max slot open and let the young guys keep growing with PG. It’s actually very likely. That’s a good team that will improve yearly...doesn’t mean we don’t want championships or are content with a middling team. This is just one step, not everything happens in one summer.

If we resign Randle and can't get Leonard or Klay in FA, we have very little flexibility to improve iteratively like the Sixers and Celtics did. We won't have any draft picks that will be high enough to get all-star talent, and lack the cap space to go after another large free agent. We will be stuck in the "good but not good enough" purgatory that a lot of teams are. 

#3216 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,568 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 12:58 PM

Again, my question is what do you do if George is the only player that comes?  Because in all likelihood, it'll probably be just him.

And please, Farmar, Goudelock, Ebanks, Clarkson, and Nance never had the potential that our current guys in Ingram, Kuzma, and Lonzo do.   STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

According to this forum and people in this thread, Farmar was going to be better than Rajon Rondo and Jodie Meeks was better than Klay Thompson. 

I don't know the answer to that, but I know that it's not "pray the young guys develop" like what many here seem to think. 

#3217 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,378 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:03 PM

Okay that's perfectly fine.  I too agree that if you have Lebron and George, you should towards some extent be willing to trade a few assets in order to try and lure Kawhi. 

Albeit the odds are very slim it all falls in place, I'm on that boat.

However, what would you suggest the Lakers do if George is the only star that is obtainable in the free agent market?  

Well, I would search for other trades for stars first. You never know what's out there until you look. Once in awhile, there are surprising star trades.

Barring that, there's really nothing else to do. I guess the Lakers would have to do what some fans' first option is and hope the core players develop. 

#3218 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,886 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:03 PM

If we resign Randle and can't get Leonard or Klay in FA, we have very little flexibility to improve iteratively like the Sixers and Celtics did. We won't have any draft picks that will be high enough to get all-star talent, and lack the cap space to go after another large free agent. We will be stuck in the "good but not good enough" purgatory that a lot of teams are. 

The same can be said if we gut our youth in an attempt to trade for Kawhi.  In order to acquire Kawhi, odds are you're going to have to give up Ingram and Kuzma at the very least.

A lineup of 

Lonzo

George

Leonard

Randle

With no depth is also going to be a middle of the pack team in the West.

According to this forum and people in this thread, Farmar was going to be better than Rajon Rondo and Jodie Meeks was better than Klay Thompson. 

I don't know the answer to that, but I know that it's not "pray the young guys develop" like what many here seem to think. 

You joined the forum in 2011 when Farmar wasn't even in a Laker uniform anymore and everyone knew Jodie was a role player at best so I'm not sure if you're referencing the correct forum or you're simply splatting nonsense at this point.

#3219 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,568 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:11 PM

The same can be said if we gut our youth in an attempt to trade for Kawhi.  In order to acquire Kawhi, odds are you're going to have to give up Ingram and Kuzma at the very least.

A lineup of 

Lonzo

George

Leonard

Randle

You joined the forum in 2011 when Farmar wasn't even in a Laker uniform anymore and everyone knew Jodie was a role player at best so I'm not sure if you're referencing the correct forum or you're simply splatting nonsense at this point.

That team with the right role players could be a contender. You have 2 elite defensive players who can also give you 30 points on any night. Would much rather have that than George + young guys and praying one of them becomes as good as Leonard. 

I've been on this forum (and many others) since it was getgarnett.com under different names. The CP3 trade getting nixed pissed me off enough to re register. I can link you to the threads I described... 

http://lakernation.c...guard-mitchell/

http://lakernation.c...+thompson +pick

#3220 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,378 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 01:20 PM

A lineup of 

Lonzo

George

Leonard

Randle

Lakers would be able to add other players to that in FA though. Keep in mind you're subtracting the salaries of the players the Lakers are sending out in the trade for Kawhi. I think PG13 + Leonard trade + Randle would equate to $55 million if the Lakers are able to keep Randle under his cap hold while they go for other free agents.

I think Leonard is better than what Ingram and Kuzma hope to become one day. So, it's worth it if he gives a good indication he'll re-sign and lures in Paul George and/or LeBron. People take for granted that Paul George will actually want to go to the Lakers by himself. You got number 1 + 2 options on a championship team and the hope for good developments for Ball and Randle instead of hoping for good developments from 4 players to build a championship team.

• bfc1125roy likes this

23 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users

Japago, Bing (1)