Posted January 02, 2018 - 11:16 AM

New years thread!

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,714 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 02, 2018 - 11:17 AM

Pretty candid stuff from Paul George about L.A. with Lakers and Clippers coming up. Says he has no regrets about Lakers popping up as trade destination when he was with Pacers:

https://twitter.com/...262839281770496

#3 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,604 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 12:14 PM

All I got from that answer is that Paul George is signing with the Lakers this summer. Give him a standing ovation tomorrow night.
  • FranklinPeanuts and LACAS like this

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,714 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 12:31 PM

All I got from that answer is that Paul George is signing with the Lakers this summer. Give him a standing ovation tomorrow night.

Convinced me that he will be a laker. I know he wont be with OKC next season for a lot of reasons but this is a bit reassuring for next offseason. Especially when the lakers have been playing so bad as of late. 

• LACAS likes this

#5 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,604 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 12:42 PM

Convinced me that he will be a laker. I know he wont be with OKC next season for a lot of reasons but this is a bit reassuring for next offseason. Especially when the lakers have been playing so bad as of late.

See, I’ve always maintained optimism George would be coming despite our record (it was trash last season, too).

There were reports last summer from credible guys (Amick) stating that those close to George said he wants to be the guy to turn the Lakers around and help get the franchise back to where it was. As a hometown guy, who wouldn’t want to be in that situation.

After all the noise this season and OKC starting to click, I think it’s good we hear this. Kind of need it after the month we’ve had, lol.

Edited by Massacre, January 02, 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#6 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,142 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 02, 2018 - 01:45 PM

I can only hope. To have an all star caliber player to close the game out for the Lakers...

#7 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,262 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 02, 2018 - 04:45 PM

I've never been worried about the acquisition of George.  It's more so that 2nd star and what the front office can surround him with that I question.

Ball

Ingram

Kuzma

will be great alongside PG, but it's not nearly enough fire power to make the slightest of noise in the West.

• LACAS likes this

#8 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,530 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 02, 2018 - 06:03 PM

I've never been worried about the acquisition of George.  It's more so that 2nd star and what the front office can surround him with that I question.

Ball

Ingram

Kuzma

will be great alongside PG, but it's not nearly enough fire power to make the slightest of noise in the West.

Agreed.

Im torn on that 2nd acquisition, I was leaning towards Boogie but JODY brought up some valid points against DMC.

Edited by LACAS, January 02, 2018 - 06:04 PM.

• LakeShow1o1 likes this

#9 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,680 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 02, 2018 - 06:23 PM

https://www.hoopsrum...ason-trade.html

George previously described the talk of his desire to play in Los Angeles as “overstated,” while maintaining that winning is the top priority. Today, he told the media that he has no regrets about discussing the Lakers and reiterated that he’s not solely focused on playing in his home state.

“No, no regrets at all. All that was said was that a destination I would love to go to,”George said (via NBA.com). “There wasn’t, you know, a ‘hey, gunpoint to the head, send me here.’ I just stated somewhere that I wanted to go play. You ask 80, 70 percent of the guys in the league if they would love to go back home and play for their city, play for their home, that’s all I stated. I would have loved to go back home and play for my city.”

Don't feed the trolls. 

#10 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,379 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 02, 2018 - 07:10 PM

Maybe not today but next year.  Outside of the top 2 the West can shift fairly quickly.  GS, HOU and maybe Spurs.  OKC w/o PG isn't a threat.  The rest of the West isn't really strong at all.

Ball

Ingram

Kuzma

• LakeShow1o1 likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#11 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,776 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 02, 2018 - 08:45 PM

Ball

Ingram

Kuzma

I agree that Paul George alone wont be enough to make a push in the west for next season, but given how good the top 2-3 teams are right now i think its tough to compete regardless of who we get. OKC or NO or Cavs aren't winning a damn thing either and should be happy if they can push the warriors to 5. Realistically, the only team that has a chance at beating the Warriors is the Rockets and that's only if their shots are falling.

IMO the plan should be the next 10-15 years, not just the next 1-2 seasons, which is why it is important to do things right from the beginning and set up the team so we can build around 3-4 guys, while turning over the 4th/5th guy every few years. The OKC-model, basically, but in a bigger market and with an ability and willingness to spend when it matters.

Also, because the west is so tough i think it might just as likely that we land two stars than just one. Of course, some combination of Lebron, George, Boogie, DJ or even CP3 would ideal, but if we "only" get one guy i think there is a good chance we could get a combination of 2nd/3rd tier guys, which may not be all that bad.

Could be Derrick Favors and Avery Bradley, while keeping one of Julius Randle or Jordan Clarkson. Or we could take on 2019 expirings - such as Rubio, Thabo, Lin, Vucevic, Chandler - or even play the restricted free agency field. I'm sure Marcus Smart could be had with an early offer. Maybe try to get Aaron Gordon. And/or Clint Capela.

#12 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,604 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 08:49 PM

Maybe not today but next year. Outside of the top 2 the West can shift fairly quickly. GS, HOU and maybe Spurs. OKC w/o PG isn't a threat. The rest of the West isn't really strong at all.

You add PG to this team and an above average Center (doesn’t have to be Boogie), then you’re looking at a great team out West.

One thing we have that not a lot of those other teams do is young players who will continuously improve. Same situation in Boston. No we’re not going to beat GSW (who is?), but come April 2019, you’re looking at Ball, Ingram and Kuzma playing at 1-2 levels above what they are right now and of course we all know playoff PG is a real thing. That teams takes everyone in the West 6-7 games...outside of GSW, who I don’t see anyone beating unless Curry/Durant are hurt.

Edited by Massacre, January 02, 2018 - 08:54 PM.

• Jody Smokes and LACAS like this

#13 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,714 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 11:48 AM

Shahan AhmedVerified account @shahanLA
FollowFollow @shahanLA
More

Paul George on Lonzo Ball: "As far as being a basketball player, at his age, he's one of the best basketball players that has played this game. He has a knack to play the game the right way."

• UKUGA likes this

#14 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,680 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 03, 2018 - 12:12 PM

Shahan AhmedVerified account @shahanLA
FollowFollow @shahanLA
More

Paul George on Lonzo Ball: "As far as being a basketball player, at his age, he's one of the best basketball players that has played this game. He has a knack to play the game the right way."

Yay!

Don't feed the trolls. 

#15 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,604 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 03:19 PM

Oklahoma City Thunder forward Paul George said Wednesday that the Indiana Pacers suspected his relationship with Los Angeles Lakers associate head coach Brian Shaw constituted tampering over the summer, but the NBA's investigation found no evidence of tampering by Shaw, multiple sources told ESPN.

"They thought it was tampering," George said after the Thunder shootaround before their game in Los Angeles (10:30 p.m. ET, ESPN). "There was no tampering at all. It was kind of crazy. Our relationship, myself and B-Shaw, was far more stronger than the team's, me coming to the Lakers, was. B-Shaw has been a mentor for me, so it was kind of comical.

I never even considered the Brian Shaw aspect of this situation. Dude coached PG in Indiana and was like a mentor to him. Bananas...first time this has ever surfaced my mind.

If this doesn’t seal it, I don’t know what more to say. PG is obviously a fan of this team and he’s talking up the young guys and making it no secret he wants to play in his hometown. It’s not even the All-Star break yet, lol.

Hopefully OKC stays at the 4/5 slot and gets that ass whooped by GSW in Round 2. Send PG right on over here for us.

#16 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,530 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 03, 2018 - 03:55 PM

Unless OKC wins the ship... its clear where PG will be next season.

#17 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,142 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 03, 2018 - 03:57 PM

I refuse to be happy until I see OF in a Laker jersey. Lol

Been getting my hopes honor seasons.. not this time. I shall wait

#18 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,244 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 05, 2018 - 03:33 PM

This is just my feeling, but I don't think the Lakers' current core is good enough to lure in players as is. I don't think they're as good as the Timberwolves were last season before they lured in Jimmy Butler + others and the Cavs before they got LeBron back.

I think you could tell those teams had players on the cusp of stardom and were good enough to be considered mediocre as is. I really think there is a big difference between being in the mid-30s in wins and being in the mid-20s in wins.

#19 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,889 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 05, 2018 - 04:09 PM

Naw. You wrong.

Bron liked Kyrie and knew the young pieces could be traded or utilized.
If he or others like Lonzo... and we know that Kuz or Ingram can net veteran help thats all you need

#20 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,829 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 05, 2018 - 06:32 PM

BBIQ that’s correct, the SoCal market still has appealjust think about how freezing cold it is there right now, our core is just young that’s a +\minus at the same time, we’re just through the toughest schedule any team has had to play and still managed a couple wins now it’s a little easier but health must return to get a flow going. Don’t lose faith!
  • LACAS likes this

9 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

LAkerFan85