lakers.png

pelicans.png
PELICANS GETPG - JORDAN CLARKSON
PF - JULIUS RANDLE
PF - LARRY NANCE JR.
C - IVICA ZUBAC
SF - LUOL DENG
2020 1ST ROUND PICK

In this situation, the Lakers get the best of both worlds. Not only do they land Cousins, but they also unload Luol Deng and his albatross of a contract.

Yes, they take on Omer Asik and his $10 million annually over the next three years. Still, that’s about $7 million annually less than Deng, so it’s a win. More importantly, they get a worthless contract off the books. Asik won’t provide much value, but at least he doesn’t cost as much to keep around. He’s also a more movable asset who can be traded again at a later date, or simply be bought out.

Losing Clarkson and Randle is tough, but it’s a move the Lakers appear willing to make. Larry Nance Jr. and Ivica Zubac are included to add value while helping the Pelicans fill the frontcourt minutes with both Cousins and Asik gone. I know the common belief is that Magic and Pelinka aren’t willing to part with future draft assets, but getting Cousins in return makes it worth the risk.

Finally, the Lakers at least get a 2019 second round pick in return. It likely won’t offer a ton of value, but this Los Angeles scouting staff has proven itself capable of finding diamonds in the rough. With three young prospects departing, it helps fill out the roster or least add some upside to the Lakers’ G League team.

Again, the focus here is on getting rid of Deng. Unfortunately for the Lakers, I don’t see the Pelicans taking him on, even if they do have a need for more talent at small forward.

Trade No. 2
LAKERS GETC - DEMARCUS COUSINS
SF - DANTE CUNNINGHAM
lakers.png

pelicans.png
PELICANS GETPG - JORDAN CLARKSON
PF - JULIUS RANDLE
PF - LARRY NANCE JR.
C - IVICA ZUBAC
2018 2ND ROUND PICK

Chances are the Pelicans aren’t interested in taking on Deng’s contract, so let’s skip to the next idea. It’s very similar to the last one, except with less thrown in on both sides.

The Lakers still get Cousins to give them one of the best offensive centers in the NBA right now. To help fill some roster spots, I also threw in Dante Cunningham. This solves the Lakers’ problems in the post, gives them a legitimate superstar and a solid veteran small forward.

In return, the Pelicans get Clarkson, Randle, Nance and Zubac. There are no superstars in the bunch and it leaves them with a logjam at power forward, but the young assets are nice for a team likely headed back into rebuild mode. With four quality players included in the deal, the Lakers only send a 2018 second round pick instead of parting with their 2020 first round pick.

When New Orleans originally landed Cousins, it parted with Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway, a first round pick and a second round pick. Realistically, this package isn’t that far off. With the big man potentially bailing via free agency, the Pelicans only have so much leverage as it is.

I will make this point, as well. If Cousins does actually want to play for the Lakers, other suitors will be informed that he won’t re-sign. That could force the Pelicans to pull the trigger on the best deal Los Angeles has to offer.

Trade No. 1
LAKERS GETC - DEMARCUS COUSINS
PG - IAN CLARK
lakers.png

pelicans.png
PELICANS GETSF - BRANDON INGRAM
SG - KENTAVIOUS CALDWELL-POPE

Realistically, the first two trades were wishful thinking. As much as Lakers fans would like to believe the Pelicans would take a package of young, slightly above-average players, that’s unlikely. Chances are other teams would offer more, making the Lakers’ offer irrelevant.

If Los Angeles really wants Cousins, it’s going to have to part with a rising star to get him.

There were really only three options in this situation: Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball or Kyle Kuzma. I know they’re all considered “untouchable,” but the prospect of acquiring Cousins could pry one of them from Magic’s grasp.

It was a tough choice, but in the end I went with Ingram for a couple of reasons. The first was that they already have an exciting wing scorer in Kuzma. The second was that Ingram hasn’t shown as much consistency through his first two seasons as Kuzma has through half of one.

Obviously I wasn’t going to get rid of Ball — no way Magic would ever make that move.

So Ingram it was. Not an easy choice to make, but a potential free agent addition like Paul George or LeBron James could handle the small forward duties. Luring one of them to Los Angeles would also be much easier with a lineup that consisted of Ball, Kuzma and Cousins.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is thrown in to make the financials work. Especially with his recent struggles in the shooting department, losing him for the second half of the 2017-18 season is a bearable burden. If anything, the Lakers would be glad to stop paying him so much money to be such an inefficient go-to threat.

https://hoopshabit.c...rcus-cousins/4/

#2 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 432 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 31, 2017 - 05:04 PM

I don't see the Lakers giving up Brandon Ingram for anyone. They didn't want to give him up for Porzingis in the offseason. Ingram and something else for Porzingis now is fair enough, but I don't see the interest in either side there.

I like the idea of proposals #1 and #2 but let's scale it back a bit.

No team will take the last 2 years of Luol Deng's contract off us. The best we can do is swap it with another bad contract that's not as bad.

Let's not lose Nance in addition to Clarkson/Randle

I like the idea of Clarkson/Randle for Cousins, for the most part, being the core of the deal. Sure you swap in a little something here, a little something there, to get it through the finish line, but that 2 for 1, for the most part, should be the bread and butter for it. New Orleans isn't resigning Cousins even if they somehow won the Finals this year. Their not gonna get a better deal than Clarkson and Randle.

I also like how the Lakers won't give up Clarkson and/or Randle for just draft picks. If you give either or both of them up, get a good player back. They are good enough to keep and pay market price for if you can't get a good player in return.

#3 M.X.M.

M.X.M.

@WeCarpeDiem

• 4,035 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted January 02, 2018 - 11:17 AM

were giving way to much for all 3 trades. 

IG: @WeCarpeDiem 

Twitter: @WeCarpeDiem

#4 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,735 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 02, 2018 - 09:05 PM

Kuzma Ingram are untouchable the rest can kick rocks
  • MaceWindu and KidRN like this
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#5 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,971 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 05, 2018 - 07:44 AM

Surprisingly, I'm not opposed to including Nancy in these trade scenarios.

#6 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,455 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 05, 2018 - 10:24 AM

Surprisingly, I'm not opposed to including Nancy in these trade scenarios.

unless your name is Luke Walton you shouldn’t be ha

#7 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,889 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 05, 2018 - 10:37 AM

What? Nance is our most xomplete PF.

Kuzma is statistically the worst defensive PF in the league. Julius is a small CENTER.

WE arent good. Stop blaming Luke

#8 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,142 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 05, 2018 - 10:58 AM

Starting too feel that it is the lack of experience in these younger players. It is not all Luke's fault. Yes his rotations aren't that good.. it most of the players are either young and or not that good.
  • UKUGA and LACAS like this

#9 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,530 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 05, 2018 - 12:27 PM

With a core of Ball (20), Ingram (20), Kuz (22) and Randle (23) what did you think was going to happen? The core average age is 21... what team led with a core average age of 21 is causing havoc?

#10 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,680 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 05, 2018 - 12:45 PM

Cousins:   If the Clippers keep playing better (now that Blake is healthy), they could pass NO.   If NO is on the wrong side of the play-offs come the trade deadline, they will need to do something bold:  whether adding talent or trading Cousins, something needs to happen.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#11 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,889 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 05, 2018 - 04:10 PM

Clippers ben losing last few and will continie

#12 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,467 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 05, 2018 - 05:46 PM

It’s completely over for the clippers and I love it

ap1.png

#13 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,455 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 05, 2018 - 06:00 PM

What? Nance is our most xomplete PF.

Kuzma is statistically the worst defensive PF in the league. Julius is a small CENTER.

WE arent good. Stop blaming Luke

We aren’t good.
Randle and Kuz are better than Nance imo

Edited by Rekal, January 05, 2018 - 06:00 PM.

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,379 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 06, 2018 - 01:25 PM

The fact that NO is struggling to make the playoffs and are one of the worst defensive teams shows that LA should stay far away from any package surrounding Big Cuz

Cousins:   If the Clippers keep playing better (now that Blake is healthy), they could pass NO.   If NO is on the wrong side of the play-offs come the trade deadline, they will need to do something bold:  whether adding talent or trading Cousins, something needs to happen.

• Wilt Chamberneezy likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: demarcus cousins, jordan clarkson, julius randle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users