Photo

What is up with our record and team recently?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,370 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 29, 2017 - 08:49 AM

We started the season solid with some good wins and we were at the rank 9,10 at the beginning of the season. Sheesh, I think we even had the spot 8 in the west in november(of course early season)

But right now its looking bad.. We are facing a tough schedule for the next 11 games and our rotation sucks bad right now. IDK what Luke is up to but he kind of brings guys in for like 3 min. like Ennis and then ultimately substitutes them out or guys like Caruso. Whats up with that?

Plus okay, we are not getting blowed out like we used to. THIS IS A GOOD POINT! But we are losing to teams, which we should beat. Like the ugly Grizz game on wednesday...

Right now it looks like a bad season again in a nirvana land. I think even the Kings have overcome us in the rankings...this sucks..

Ball is hurt, Lopez is hurt and the grind which these players had at the beginning of the season is fading away..

Whats going on?

• Rekal likes this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#2 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,920 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 29, 2017 - 09:28 AM

Played a really tough stretch, followed by Lonzo's injury.

Lonzo is the straw that stirs the drink, much as (gulp) Russell was last season.

We actually played well just prior to his injury and appeared to be on the verge of finally putting something together.

• LACAS likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#3 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,839 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted December 29, 2017 - 09:39 AM

a little bit of everything.
bad rotations
injuries
Bad games from key players

gotta shake it off at get back to work

#4 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted December 29, 2017 - 01:49 PM

Rookie Wall ???

#5 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 434 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kyle Kuzma

Posted January 01, 2018 - 10:46 AM

Think of everything Dennis Rodman did great

None of the Lakers do any of it. Normally someone who lacks on nearly every offensive skillset doesn't get playing time; unless he is an all time great when it comes to offensive (94) and defensive rebounding (99) and offensive (93) and defensive awareness (99). Tack in an 84 block 88 steal 90 vertical 88 speed even 92 clutch, you are foolish not to play him. The Lakers don't call out screens, make adjustments on defense, play help defense, box out, grab rebounds, contest shots while trying their best not to foul, dive for loose balls, set effective screens, use their bodies and physical strength to stay in front of players (how can they, when the majority of them are lighter than the rest of the league at their position) etc.

Their not doing the dirty unglorious and tiring work it takes to win games. Look at Julius Randle's screens. They are so uneffective, they didn't actually get the defender off his guy, yet he is quick to roll. When a defense shoots, they go throw the motions of boxing out, not actually fighting to potentially get an offensive rebound. On defense the bigs don't yell out screens, quick to switch over before the other team can drive into the lane. Not like a screen was even necessary, because they all just go throw the motions of a defensive stance, they don't use their bodies and physical strength to stay in front of their man, give a hard contest without fouling, with the rest of the team giving a tough box out and chasing after the loose ball and getting the rebound. We have one of the best offenses in the league, we're scoring more than enough points to win, but we don't have enough guys, at least none that are worth playing for significant minutes, that do the dirty work. 

A big issue is also not having a 4 and 5 that are good offensively yet also have those defensive traits. The whole "We're the Lakers, and if anything too much defense is our problem, tee-hee!" lasted exactly 1 game. The first one. Blaming it on modern NBA rules and officiating is just an excuse because you can still play hard defense in today's league. It doesn't have to be the way it was in the 90s, they just gotta do enough of it to win games. I understand that 48 minutes of it expended on the roster is physically tiring, but this is what you signed up for. The mentality should be points and stops, not buckets buckets and more buckets.

Edited by dbtbandit67, January 01, 2018 - 10:52 AM.

#6 lildvl10

lildvl10

Sixth Man

• 3,749 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted January 01, 2018 - 11:59 PM

We started the season solid with some good wins and we were at the rank 9,10 at the beginning of the season. Sheesh, I think we even had the spot 8 in the west in november(of course early season)

But right now its looking bad.. We are facing a tough schedule for the next 11 games and our rotation sucks bad right now. IDK what Luke is up to but he kind of brings guys in for like 3 min. like Ennis and then ultimately substitutes them out or guys like Caruso. Whats up with that?

Plus okay, we are not getting blowed out like we used to. THIS IS A GOOD POINT! But we are losing to teams, which we should beat. Like the ugly Grizz game on wednesday...

Right now it looks like a bad season again in a nirvana land. I think even the Kings have overcome us in the rankings...this sucks..

Ball is hurt, Lopez is hurt and the grind which these players had at the beginning of the season is fading away..

Whats going on?

Good question.. i dont have the answer to your question but i hope the lakers do.. and they better find the answer to your question really soon. On paper we are a better team than last year, but the fact is right now we arent

Edited by lildvl10, January 02, 2018 - 12:03 AM.

#7 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 8,893 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 12:27 AM

The front office masquerading as three monkeys don't help this team.

• MambaMentality likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#8 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,370 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 02, 2018 - 02:52 AM

not gonna lie

im not gonna wake up for this team at 4.30h am again, done witht hat seriously...

• Rekal likes this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#9 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,920 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 02, 2018 - 06:35 AM

College Football Play-offs > Los Angeles Lakers

Go Dawgs!

Don't feed the trolls. 

#10 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 435 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 02, 2018 - 09:18 AM

jeanie and magic need to go.

The front office masquerading as three monkeys don't help this team.

#11 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 2,041 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 02, 2018 - 10:46 AM

The best players are too young or even rookies, some of the guys already know that they won't be here soon, our veterans aren't good at all, Brook has been horrible but we're worse without him, KCP's morale can't be good these days (and he sucks), we have one of the worst coaches in the league.
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#12 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,839 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 02, 2018 - 01:15 PM

This is why I don’t trip on FO/GM changes.
Magic can act excited all he wants but, we still suck and our future is in the hands of Free agents who are allowed to do whatever the please.
I pray we get at least one big time FA
  • FranklinPeanuts likes this

#13 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,475 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted January 02, 2018 - 01:41 PM

I'm not banking o it but I hope they sign one ad well

#14 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,005 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted January 02, 2018 - 02:13 PM

Magic said there's no pressure, right. I think you are seeing what the team is like without Lonzo's impact to stabilize things. 

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#15 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,155 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted January 02, 2018 - 03:41 PM

This is what I expected coming in. Doesn’t bother me, I’ve gone numb to it. It seems like forever since we were relevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • manaro90 likes this

#16 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,092 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted January 02, 2018 - 04:44 PM

And judging by the history of teams in the Lakers' spot it will be several more years before they are relevant again.

#17 lildvl10

lildvl10

Sixth Man

• 3,749 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted January 02, 2018 - 04:54 PM

And judging by the history of teams in the Lakers' spot it will be several more years before they are relevant again.

Do you still believe in this current front office management fido?

#18 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 9,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 02, 2018 - 08:08 PM

Whats going on?

Well, the schedule has been brutal and we've been without Lopez, KCP and Lonzo.

#19 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,286 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 02, 2018 - 10:00 PM

Well, the schedule has been brutal and we've been without Lopez, KCP and Lonzo.

Except the Lakers have been losing to the likes of the Clippers and Grizzlies as well.

The team just isn't good. It's not a very talented team, and I'm starting to think Luke isn't a good coach either.

I didn't expect a good record, but the team should at least be improving every season. They're on pace to win 25 games and they won 26 games last year. I want the team to finish in the low 30s in wins. I think it's very important to show tangible progress every season. And right now, they're just not doing that.

The one good thing you can say about the team is that they are at least being led by potential future core players for the team. Last season, I didn't think D'Angelo, Brandon, and Julius were really leading the team for a large portion of the season. So, that's something at least.

• UKUGA, Busty Bluth and Rekal like this

#20 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,092 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted January 02, 2018 - 11:31 PM

It's been one year and still cleaning out the bad culture of the last regime.  I give them a second year and a summer with money to convince someone to sign before I judge completely.

I tried to be blindly optimistic, saying this team may win 29 games, but there's simply no way in any version of Earth that's going to happen.  If they pull 25 wins, it'll be a shock.

As long as this team continues to rely on young players, they'll go nowhere.  Welcome to what I called a while ago, the lottery rabbit hole.  Few teams ever get out of this.  If they ever do, which is rare, its typically decades before they become anything of note.  (i.e. - Golden State)  I'm not willing to wait 30 years until the Lakers win something again.  I've watched no games this year (aside from being monumentally busy with my businesses and bigger things) because I have no desire to watch development hell.  I'm not a fan, in any way, of young teams. Unless a team gets a once in a generation kind of player, they don't win rings developing their young talent alone (again unless its decades and lots of luck later).

I saw this terrible run coming, this futile dependency on kids to turn the franchise around, and until they right that thinking my interest wanes.

• lildvl10 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users