Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,282 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 11, 2017 - 09:24 AM

https://basketball.r...-Space-For-2019

Doubling back again it seems

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,577 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 11, 2017 - 09:27 AM

I saw this [expletive] coming. They know full and well PG and Cousins aren’t leaving and neither is Lebron. They are bracing us for another losing season and nothing being done in the offseason so no draft pick then another horrible season next year as well.
  • Rekal likes this

#3 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,979 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 11, 2017 - 09:48 AM

A little surprised to hear him say it this early, but whatever.  We all know Magic can't control his mouth.

It's better than hearing that they are thinking of signing Mozgov & Deng 2.0 next summer.

By the way, I don't think Kawhi is going anywhere, nor is Durant.  But, it will be interesting to see what Klay does.   They even overpaid Iggy.  At some point, this catches up to them right? 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#4 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,168 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted December 11, 2017 - 09:49 AM

Haha sounds like the logical thing to say, what were you expecting him to say? 

PG and Boogie are out of Lakers control until they hit free agency even then we have to work for it.

Magic knows many things can happen; they can resign with their current teams, they can be traded to another team and like the situation there, etc...

Magic said nothing of any importance.  

#5 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,288 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 10:02 AM

Magic and Rob’s confidence was always weird to me...not because I doubted it, but because it’s clear they were tampering and sending feelers out for at least PG.

I think they’re confident in getting one guy (PG), but not two and that’s where we see the back-tracking (save cap for 2019, “one guy can really elevate us the way Kyrie is with Boston.”)

That scenario works for me.

Edited by Massacre, December 11, 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#6 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,071 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 11, 2017 - 10:35 AM

Magic could choose to say nothing. What is gained by telegraphing this?

• UKUGA likes this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#7 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 28,164 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 11, 2017 - 10:53 AM

If the lakers do nab two max players it will probably be PG and Cousins. They make the most sense, they fill in KCP, and Lopezs spots when they leave and both are on teams that aren't going anywhere. I don't think we will get both though. The money to me seem too tight and until they solve that I don't think we will have the space by this offseason. I really just want them to focus on PG and nothing else. OKC isn't going to do anything this year. They might barely make the playoffs but it will be a bottom seed and either GS, Houston, or Spurs are going to destroy them in the 1st round. 

This is probably whats going to happen. Melo will not leave his last year. Its for 27 mill and there is no way any team is giving that guy anywhere near that amount of money and he has got to know that by now. His stats are mediocre and he'll be 34 next season. So that will put their cap at 110 mill with PG leaving his last year. 

Now lets say Melo for some reason doesn't keep his last year and goes FA. They still have 88 mill on the books. Just a little under the cap.So OKC will be in a position where they are incapable of adding much more talent to their group even if melo leaves. And Westbrook will still be westbrook. The guy is never going to change. PG isn't going to see past the 2nd round with this team. 

I am personally a bigger fan of just signing PG. He alone will get us over .500 and puts us a defensive center(Deandre jordan?) away from being a contender. This lets us keep Clarkson and Randle who can always be used for a trade later to get that last piece if its available. To me this is the safest option thats give the lakers FO a ton of options in the coming years. 

• Xinxin and Adam like this

#8 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,071 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 10:59 AM

If the lakers do nab two max players it will probably be PG and Cousins. They make the most sense, they fill in KCP, and Lopezs spots when they leave and both are on teams that aren't going anywhere. I don't think we will get both though. The money to me seem too tight and until they solve that I don't think we will have the space by this offseason. I really just want them to focus on PG and nothing else. OKC isn't going to do anything this year. They might barely make the playoffs but it will be a bottom seed and either GS, Houston, or Spurs are going to destroy them in the 1st round. 

This is probably whats going to happen. Melo will not leave his last year. Its for 27 mill and there is no way any team is giving that guy anywhere near that amount of money and he has got to know that by now. His stats are mediocre and he'll be 34 next season. So that will put their cap at 110 mill with PG leaving his last year. 

Now lets say Melo for some reason doesn't keep his last year and goes FA. They still have 88 mill on the books. Just a little under the cap.So OKC will be in a position where they are incapable of adding much more talent to their group even if melo leaves. And Westbrook will still be westbrook. The guy is never going to change. PG isn't going to see past the 2nd round with this team. 

I am personally a bigger fan of just signing PG. He alone will get us over .500 and puts us a defensive center(Deandre jordan?) away from being a contender. This lets us keep Clarkson and Randle who can always be used for a trade later to get that last piece if its available. To me this is the safest option thats give the lakers FO a ton of options in the coming years. 

I think our chances at PG remain pretty good. His team is having chemistry issues on offense and is badly underperforming. On top of that, you couldn't pay me to live in OKC (granted PG is coming from another cultural deadzone in Indy). I see PG leaving still, and the Lakers are still promising destination. He can just take KCP's spot.

Now PG alone doesn't make us a serious contender though. If the second Free Agent is Boogie....I'm not sold on the prospects either. Stay away from Cousins, he has never been able to win wherever he has been. There's a good reason for that.

Edited by kray28, December 11, 2017 - 11:01 AM.

pkray.png

#9 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 2,127 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 11, 2017 - 11:16 AM

Of course, I was expecting this from Magic, but not now... it's weird...

#10 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,282 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 11, 2017 - 11:44 AM

I don't think them saving cap is a bad thing just think it looks goofy they are changing up.  I wholeheartedly think they get Paul George barring a WCF run (which I seriously doubt happens). 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#11 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted December 11, 2017 - 12:10 PM

I think our chances at PG remain pretty good. His team is having chemistry issues on offense and is badly underperforming. On top of that, you couldn't pay me to live in OKC (granted PG is coming from another cultural deadzone in Indy). I see PG leaving still, and the Lakers are still promising destination. He can just take KCP's spot.

Now PG alone doesn't make us a serious contender though. If the second Free Agent is Boogie....I'm not sold on the prospects either. Stay away from Cousins, he has never been able to win wherever he has been. There's a good reason for that.

Dude had/or has a beautiful place on the lake in indy. (Pretty sure it was indy)

Just watched an episode of TANKED where the 2 goofballs from vegas install aquariums for celebs. 

This was from 2016.

Cost of living in OKC has to be 1/2 what it is in LA, not that it makes it more attractive.

Im still on the bron bandwagon, but if not PG is fine by me

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#12 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,168 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted December 11, 2017 - 01:13 PM

<yawning>

#13 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,695 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 01:56 PM

Cousins 2018, Klay Thompson 2019?
Posted Image

#14 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted December 11, 2017 - 03:11 PM

Dude had/or has a beautiful place on the lake in indy. (Pretty sure it was indy)

Just watched an episode of TANKED where the 2 goofballs from vegas install aquariums for celebs. 

This was from 2016.

Cost of living in OKC has to be 1/2 what it is in LA, not that it makes it more attractive.

Make that the Bronwagon

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#15 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

The Innovators

• 1,755 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Kyle Kuzma

Posted December 11, 2017 - 03:31 PM

might as well re-write that and say 2020.

"If you're going to lose, you have to lose because you can't be in the middle of the pack. You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick" - Earvin Magic Johnson

#16 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,288 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 03:40 PM

I don't think them saving cap is a bad thing just think it looks goofy they are changing up. I wholeheartedly think they get Paul George barring a WCF run (which I seriously doubt happens).

Think it’s more like Presti tries to get value at the deadline than OKC making any sort of playoff run. Not unless Westbrook completely changes the way he approaches the game or Melo moves to a bench role.

Only concern I have at this point is what number PG wears, lol. Definitely going to shake up the whole PG13 brand.
  • kball likes this

#17 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,071 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 04:16 PM

This was from 2016.

You need to visit Oklahoma to understand just how unremarkable the place is. It's flat and dirt colored....everywhere for miles. 

Edited by kray28, December 11, 2017 - 04:16 PM.

pkray.png

#18 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,597 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted December 11, 2017 - 05:52 PM

We're not getting Klay. He has no desire to leave. 

PG and Deandre doesn't make us a contender. We need 2 max players plus one of Randle/Clarkson to contend. One of those 2 max players needs to be LBJ for us to have a really solid chance. 

#19 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 5,339 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 11, 2017 - 06:26 PM

We need to save as much money as we can. You know. For emergencies.

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,862 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 11, 2017 - 07:08 PM

Julius is playing better and they want to save resign him ...add George and then evaluate a sophmore Lonzo and Kuz
  • Jody Smokes likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users