43 replies to this topic

#41 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,709 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 26, 2017 - 12:43 PM

You can't use obviously unless you're speaking in hindsight.  Russell at the time was a good pick.  Porzingis would have been the better pick from a talent/potential standpoint.  He also wasn't considered a reach at 2 at the time but Euro scare, LA going after a big man in FA and Russell having a bit of swagger in his game making him marketable played a factor IMO.  From reading about Porzingis workouts teams were super intrigued.  I believe I read somewhere that Hinkie wanted Porzingis but ownership was trying to move out of the "tanking" phase and wanted a for sure name.  Porzingis would have raised too many questions with "fans".  

The issues Russell had went beyond scouting.  Like his work ethic and maturity.  Those things I dont think can easily be sniffed out.  

I still think Russell ends up being the 2nd or 3rd best player in the 2015 draft.  I still think he's a better player than Devin Booker.  I think he had his issues but so did the Laker front office.  The Lakers don't allow themselves to operate like any other basketball team for some obvious reasons. 

Please dont intentionally take my post out of context. If you want to have a real and fair discussion than we can but this is nonsense.

If we had drafted Porzingis it would have been a reach because he wasn't considered the 2nd best prospect in that draft. Because of that, there would have been complaints all throughout the rest of the offseason. Nobody complained when Ball was drafted because he WAS the consensus #2 pick, people are complaining NOW because of his play on the court. Once again these two situations have nothing in common. You are trying to force Ball into this conversation and he doesn't fit.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#42 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,289 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted November 26, 2017 - 01:54 PM

I still think Russell ends up being the 2nd or 3rd best player in the 2015 draft.  I still think he's a better player than Devin Booker.  I think he had his issues but so did the Laker front office.  The Lakers don't allow themselves to operate like any other basketball team for some obvious reasons. 

I'm pretty confident he's not going to be better than Towns or Porzingis, so 3rd at best. I don't think he's better than Booker, so I would put him at 4th for now. He can probably be anywhere from 3rd to 5th. Myles Turner has some upside as a 2-way player, so I think he's in that conversation too. Although, he needs too show more on offense.

I think it's a big reach to see how he could possibly be better than the best 2 guys though. I'd probably trade every player on the Lakers right now for either of those 2 guys.

#43 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,940 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 26, 2017 - 03:31 PM

You can't use obviously unless you're speaking in hindsight.  Russell at the time was a good pick.  Porzingis would have been the better pick from a talent/potential standpoint.  He also wasn't considered a reach at 2 at the time but Euro scare, LA going after a big man in FA and Russell having a bit of swagger in his game making him marketable played a factor IMO.  From reading about Porzingis workouts teams were super intrigued.  I believe I read somewhere that Hinkie wanted Porzingis but ownership was trying to move out of the "tanking" phase and wanted a for sure name.  Porzingis would have raised too many questions with "fans".  

The issues Russell had went beyond scouting.  Like his work ethic and maturity.  Those things I dont think can easily be sniffed out.  

I was speaking in hindsight. I disagree that Porzingis wouldn't have been a reach. I dont think there was a team in the nba at the time that would have drafted him with the 2nd pick. I also dont remember any mock drafts that had him going 2nd either. Okafor and Russell were both viewed as having better potential than he did.

#44 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,709 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 26, 2017 - 05:43 PM

I vividly remember him being in the conversation.  There was even talk that LA would consider him at 2.  I think Okafor was the odd man out lowkey and the only reason he was chosen at 3 was due to pressure from the PHI ownership.  

https://www.sbnation...-against-no-one

https://www.foxsport...orzingis-060816

Byron said they passed on KP b/c he looked out of shape lmao.  I take anything he says with a grain of salt. 

I was speaking in hindsight. I disagree that Porzingis wouldn't have been a reach. I dont think there was a team in the nba at the time that would have drafted him with the 2nd pick. I also dont remember any mock drafts that had him going 2nd either. Okafor and Russell were both viewed as having better potential than he did.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users