Photo

Kuz Had Dinner With Kobe Last Night

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• LN Staff
  • 11,176 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted November 15, 2017 - 08:29 PM

Rookie Kyle Kuzma ‘in awe’ after dinner with Lakers legend Kobe Bryant

By BILL ORAM | boram@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: November 15, 2017 at 8:10 pm | UPDATED: November 15, 2017 at 8:12 pm

LOS ANGELES — Kyle Kuzma stared at the figure across the table from him on Tuesday night and unleashed a steady stream of questions.

About mentality, about approach, about success.

What else do you talk to Kobe Bryant about?

Kuzma spent the evening quizzing the retired legend at a West Hollywood steakhouse; a young Lakers star getting acquainted with an old one.

“Just work,” Kuzma said. “That’s cliché, but that’s what he stands for, that’s what he values. That’s what I value. So that was really the message.”

Kuzma said he reached out to Bryant to forge a relationship and that their discussion was very detail-oriented, focusing on “a lot of little things within basketball that go a long way.”

Since late in his career, Bryant has established himself as a mentor for players throughout the league.

Bryant retired after 20 seasons with the Lakers in 2016, but found a new link to the organization when Magic Johnson hired his long-time agent, Rob Pelinka, as general manager last spring. Pelinka and Bryant still communicate frequently.

“He’s just really enjoyed the way Kyle’s attacked his rookie year,” Pelinka said. “The mentality he’s played with. For him to grab dinner with him, swap war stories, is invaluable. And I think Kyle was in awe by everything he heard.”

Pelinka said he helped facilitate the dinner, but that it was initiated by Kuzma.

So far, the meeting between Bryant and Kuzma is unique among young Lakers. Bryant has not met with second overall pick Lonzo Ball, sources said.

“I want to be good,” Kuzma said before Wednesday’s game against the Philadelphia 76ers. “Why not learn from one of the best? So I took that approach. Of course, it was cool. But I had a lot of questions and I was really excited just to get to know him, meet him, learn from him.”

Naturally, Pelinka got reports from both sides after the dinner concluded.

“Kyle said he heard stories he could have never imagined,” Pelinka said. “And Kobe just said Kyle’s got an edge and a spirit about him, and he’s going to be one of those alpha dog players for this team, for sure.”

The 27th pick in June’s draft, Kuzma has found early popularity and success in a city that bequeaths one and craves the other. Entering Wednesday he ranked third on the team with 14.9 points per game and tied for second with 6.8 rebounds.

“He was one of my favorite players for sure,” he said, breaking into a grin. “He’s one of the greatest players of all time.

“He’s Kobe Bryant.”

More in link...

• JEN,     and Olabebeh like this

#2 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 467 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 15, 2017 - 08:43 PM

Good stuff from Kuzma, seeking mentoring from the best...

• JEN,     and Olabebeh like this

• 43,948 posts

Posted November 15, 2017 - 10:12 PM

He had that mamba mentality tonight. Good feces.

yo.

#4 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,928 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 16, 2017 - 05:23 AM

One of his best games. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#5 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 467 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 06:54 AM

Real question, do the Lakers really need to go after PG13?  I think Kuzma will be better than him and we are stacked at that spot.

#6 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,852 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted November 16, 2017 - 08:58 AM

Real question, do the Lakers really need to go after PG13?  I think Kuzma will be better than him and we are stacked at that spot.

Its still too early to make that assumption but I must admit I have had the same thought at times... time will tell.

#7 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,357 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 16, 2017 - 12:05 PM

If this is a real question that is stirring in your mind... you should seek professional help.

Kuzma could win rookie of the year and average 20+ points per game this season and I'd still chase PG13.

#8 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 467 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 12:15 PM

If this is a real question that is stirring in your mind... you should seek professional help.

Kuzma could win rookie of the year and average 20+ points per game this season and I'd still chase PG13.

Why would I need to seek a professional help?

Edited by BORNINLA, November 16, 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#9 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,357 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 16, 2017 - 12:26 PM

Why would I need to seek a professional?

Something up there is malfunctioning.

Considering the Lakers having the 2nd most cap space in free agency next year, there's no reason to not go after one of the most versatile 2 way players in the league in Paul George.  Kuzma has been a pleasant surprise and probably one of the best offensive players on our team this year, but regardless of the amount of success he may have this year, there's no reason to pass up on the opportunity of acquiring PG13...

#10 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,862 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 16, 2017 - 12:42 PM

Something up there is malfunctioning.

Considering the Lakers having the 2nd most cap space in free agency next year, there's no reason to not go after one of the most versatile 2 way players in the league in Paul George. Kuzma has been a pleasant surprise and probably one of the best offensive players on our team this year, but regardless of the amount of success he may have this year, there's no reason to pass up on the opportunity of acquiring PG13...

PG13 has put up huge games this season on a team with a score first point guard. He would be bonkers on the current Lakers squad. Kuzma and George are both versatile and could easily play at the same time. George should be the Lakers number one priority this offseason and since the Thunder are trash it should be easy to sign him.
  • LACAS likes this

#11 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,852 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 01:06 PM

Considering the Lakers having the 2nd most cap space in free agency next year, there's no reason to not go after one of the most versatile 2 way players in the league in Paul George.  Kuzma has been a pleasant surprise and probably one of the best offensive players on our team this year, but regardless of the amount of success he may have this year, there's no reason to pass up on the opportunity of acquiring PG13...

As much as I agree with you, some in here dont believe PG will move the needle much... Im starting to think that if Magic and Rob dont land Bron there are going to be some really unhappy folks in here.

Im already on record saying I would prefer spending 4 years of max dollars on PG rather than Bron and it has zero to do with who is better today but more so who I believe has more left to offer, again I may not be right and thats perfectly fine, its my opinion.

IMO it would be an awesome summer if we come out with PG and Boogie... and as I mentioned elsewhere if I cant get PG, Im turning to Avery Bradley. 

Edited by LACAS, November 16, 2017 - 01:06 PM.

#12 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,259 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 16, 2017 - 01:15 PM

PG has been wanting to play more SG lately. They could easily play together. He would replace KCP at this point. 

• BORNINLA and LACAS like this

#13 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,852 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 03:46 PM

Maybe Lonzo needs a dinner date with the Mamba....

#14 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,820 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted November 16, 2017 - 05:53 PM

no go Lavar said he doesn't need kobe or anybody else during the summer. Dude needs to ax his dad and get his head straight first and for most
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#15 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 467 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 12:57 PM

PG has been wanting to play more SG lately. They could easily play together. He would replace KCP at this point. 

Makes sense, I would not mind that at all.

Lonzo/PG13/Cousins/Kuzma/Ingram

• LACAS likes this

#16 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 434 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kyle Kuzma

Posted November 17, 2017 - 03:23 PM

We can have Kuzma AND Paul George since they both play interchangeable positions.

The real question is why isn't Lonzo Ball and the sad look on his face the one having dinner with Kobe Bryant and ask him how to stop feeling sorry for himself and play tough defense every minute he's out there and how to lift weights in between games and focus less on a rap career.

#17 Magic Chiongson

Magic Chiongson

Rookie

• 222 posts
  • Fan Since:I was a Laker fan before a Kobe fan
  • Fav. Laker:Buck, Diesel,Big Game James

Posted November 17, 2017 - 03:46 PM

Better yet maybe the black mamba should hit this light skinned brotha connection wannabe upside his head and tell Lonzo your not playing like a #2 pick nor a #27 but more like a #60th pick who barely got drafted because of hype imo.

#18 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 467 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 04:18 PM

We can have Kuzma AND Paul George since they both play interchangeable positions.

The real question is why isn't Lonzo Ball and the sad look on his face the one having dinner with Kobe Bryant and ask him how to stop feeling sorry for himself and play tough defense every minute he's out there and how to lift weights in between games and focus less on a rap career.

Lavar says that is a no go.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users