#1 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 762 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 10, 2017 - 05:01 PM

The Oklahoma City Thunder are unlikely to continue with their current trajectory of an expensive roster and the luxury tax ramifications. The Thunder will have a luxury tax bill of approximately $25 million this season and it would be even higher in 18-19.

The Thunder signed Russell Westbrook to a $233 million extension in training camp while Paul George can sign a new deal this offseason.

"If we're being honest with ourselves, this is a one-year run with this team," said Wojnarowski on his podcast. "They have one chance with this team because they cannot bring back this team together next year. Even if Paul George re-signs and says 'I want to stay.' Financially, it is impossible for this team, I don't want to say remotely look the same, but the idea of Carmelo, Westbrook and George on the same roster withe Melo opting into his salary next year.

"This would be an incredible bill for the New York Knicks, the Lakers or Steve Ballmer to pay, nevermind Clay Bennett in a small market like Oklahoma City."

Wojnarowski, Royce Young and Bobby Marks talked about how their decision to decline the option on Josh Huestis as an example of how they're already making cost conscious moves.

https://basketball.r...er-Beyond-17-18
  • UKUGA likes this

#2 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,673 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted November 10, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Not really a bomb....I think others have anticipated this. 

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#3 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,663 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 11, 2017 - 02:35 AM

The Oklahoma City Thunder are unlikely to continue with their current trajectory of an expensive roster and the luxury tax ramifications. The Thunder will have a luxury tax bill of approximately $25 million this season and it would be even higher in 18-19.

The Thunder signed Russell Westbrook to a $233 million extension in training camp while Paul George can sign a new deal this offseason.

"If we're being honest with ourselves, this is a one-year run with this team," said Wojnarowski on his podcast. "They have one chance with this team because they cannot bring back this team together next year. Even if Paul George re-signs and says 'I want to stay.' Financially, it is impossible for this team, I don't want to say remotely look the same, but the idea of Carmelo, Westbrook and George on the same roster withe Melo opting into his salary next year.

"This would be an incredible bill for the New York Knicks, the Lakers or Steve Ballmer to pay, nevermind Clay Bennett in a small market like Oklahoma City."

Wojnarowski, Royce Young and Bobby Marks talked about how their decision to decline the option on Josh Huestis as an example of how they're already making cost conscious moves.

https://basketball.r...er-Beyond-17-18

There is obviously something to this since the notoriously cheap OKC might not want to pay all of these guys. At the same time, they could probably find a taker for the last year of Carmelo if need be.

#4 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,336 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 11, 2017 - 06:23 AM

How would it work w a Melo trade?

We know he ok'd a trade to okc in his NO TRADE contract, but does that give permission to okc to trade him also, or is there still some sort of binding clause that Melo has to ok it again?

Edited by kball, November 11, 2017 - 06:24 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#5 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,663 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 07:16 AM

^ Not 100% about it but i dont think he has a no-trade clause anymore, so OKC can essentially just trade him.

The problem is to find a team that is both willing to take on Melo and his 28M next season (he has a player option) as well as send out enough salary to make it work. Not sure who that is.

#6 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,554 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 11, 2017 - 09:58 AM

^ Not 100% about it but i dont think he has a no-trade clause anymore, so OKC can essentially just trade him.

The problem is to find a team that is both willing to take on Melo and his 28M next season (he has a player option) as well as send out enough salary to make it work. Not sure who that is.

Hmmm.  I thought a NTC was ingrained in the contract.  He waived it to allow the Knicks to trade him to OKC, but I don't think that means it has been waived permanently.   

Don't feed the trolls. 

#7 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,314 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted November 11, 2017 - 10:15 AM

If it’s true I’d trade George at the deadline. I’m not buying it so early. Donavan will get fired 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#8 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,314 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted November 11, 2017 - 10:17 AM

And we’d probably be dumb enough to trade for Mello thinking LeBron would want him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Rekal likes this

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#9 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,663 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 10:13 PM

Hmmm.  I thought a NTC was ingrained in the contract.  He waived it to allow the Knicks to trade him to OKC, but I don't think that means it has been waived permanently.   

I think he waived his no-trade clause that's all. Dont think that applies anymore, so the Thunder could theoretically trade him without asking him first. As for waiving him, normal rules apply.

#10 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,663 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 10:31 PM

I think Woj is correct in that the Thunder propbably wont want to pay both Melo and George going forward because that might be a very steep tax bill for next season.

But there's plenty of stuff they can do to avoid that tax bill.

I'm not sure if Melo still has a no-trade clause. If not, trading that expiring would be the easiest way to cut down the payroll.

If he has a no-trade clause, they could probably still try to trade him. Not a fan of Melo at all, but if they need to trade him its because they've signed Paul George. In that scenario, perhaps Melo can be a way to add Lebron?

#11 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,932 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 12, 2017 - 07:15 AM

OKC just did all that so Westbrook would resign. Lol. I'm just joking

#12 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,183 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 12, 2017 - 08:57 AM

It is no secret that OKC ownership is cheap and worries more about money than winning. We saw them let go of Harden over only 3 million dollars a year. Not a bomb, common sense. 

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#13 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 394 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted November 14, 2017 - 10:57 AM

We might be able to work something out for Paul George this season

Deng/Randle/pick

for George/pick

Something like that