Photo

Windhorst: LeBron has replaced Jordan in the eyes of young players

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,369 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 07, 2017 - 02:26 PM

http://www.espn.com/...kes-jordan-role

James was part of a generation of young players inspired by Jordan. He wears it on his chest with the No. 23 each night. But now that James is 15 seasons in with three championships and four MVP Awards, he has moved into the Jordan role.

The crop of young players entering the league now grew up watching James, playing his role in video games and pretending to be him on their driveways, just as James used to do with Jordan.

Do you folks think this is true? He's basing this article on comments from Lonzo Ball, Lauri Markkanen, and Nik Stauskas.

Yet he completely ignores that (to name a few) Durant, Westbrook, Paul George, Kyrie, Devin Booker, Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, Dwayne Wade, and Wiggins all basically said that Kobe Bryant/Jordan were their role models

Edited by Jackson, November 07, 2017 - 02:27 PM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#2 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,406 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 07, 2017 - 02:41 PM

Idk maybe for kids that is the case. I don't really know any 20 year olds so can't really speak on it lol
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#3 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,554 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 08, 2017 - 09:00 AM

I do find it interesting that he basically skipped a half-generation.  In between Mike and Lebron, there was Kobe.

But let's face it:  Lebron is Windhorst's meal ticket.   And Windhorst's meals are pretty big. 

• Busty Bluth and lakerfan98 like this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#4 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,271 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted November 08, 2017 - 10:36 AM

He will NEVER be on the MJ level. He doesn’t have the heart or killer instinct required. These kids grew up watching Kobe, Lebron that’s why they are the role models now. Lebron is an all time great so I’m not trying to take anything away. But Jordan is the Babe Ruth of Basketball. When I hear NBA I think Michael Jordan. Still. Worldwide. Not just young players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • MaceWindu likes this

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#5 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,336 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 08, 2017 - 01:14 PM

Actually, he most likely will be on same level.

Its thisclose now.

LBJ moves ahead of Kobe all time this year.

Case can be made.

Laker fans don't like it, but fans of every other team probably have Bron above kobe now

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#6 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,183 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 08, 2017 - 08:44 PM

To Brian Windhorst Lebron has always been better than MJ, and number one in his heart lol

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#7 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,590 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 08, 2017 - 08:52 PM

It's Windhorst lol. He would've said this LeBron's rookie year.

Comes down to age. Lonzo was 6 when Jordan RETIRED. Almost no one in the current generation watched Wilt or Kareem play, you won't see any of their names in these guys top 5.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,661 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 09, 2017 - 12:50 AM

As much as i hate to admit it, i think Lebron at this point is close to being on par with MJ and when it's all staid and done, he'll be #1.

He's been to 7 straight finals and already is 7th on all-time scoring list, 12th in assists, 18th in steals and he still has a case as the best player in the world.

The guy could play until he's 40 and would likely break the all-time scoring record by a wide margin as well as being 3rd in assist and steals.

#9 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,271 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted November 09, 2017 - 07:43 AM

As much as i hate to admit it, i think Lebron at this point is close to being on par with MJ and when it's all staid and done, he'll be #1.

He's been to 7 straight finals and already is 7th on all-time scoring list, 12th in assists, 18th in steals and he still has a case as the best player in the world.

The guy could play until he's 40 and would likely break the all-time scoring record by a wide margin as well as being 3rd in assist and steals.

His impact on the game will never eclipse Jordan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#10 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,212 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 09, 2017 - 04:43 PM

There is a lot of truth to the statement. A kid thats 18-20 has never ever seen MJ play in his prime or even in his 2nd go round.  Looking up history just isn't enough.  I started watching the NBA in 94-95 and Penny was my first favorite player.  I've never seen Magic live in his prime.  So when older heads say stuff like Magic was the best ever or Kareem or even put players like Bird over Lebron I can't disagree with them.  

Michael Jordan has more than just bball accomplishments on his side.  He was the biggest commercial athlete of all time.  He changed the game in that regard.  

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#11 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,212 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 09, 2017 - 04:57 PM

Most of those aren't younger players.  Only 2 on that list and its D Book and Wiggins.  PG, Kawhi and Westbrook are all LA guys.  

Kobe was caught between eras as well.  When Kobe was young AI was the most popular player in the league.  Kobe gained most of his new fanbas that wasnt based out of LA after he became the Black Mamba.  I guarantee you more of the recent class guys are Lebron fans just simply due to age.  Dwyane is older than Lebron as well.  So not sure why you mentioned him.  

http://www.espn.com/...kes-jordan-role

Do you folks think this is true? He's basing this article on comments from Lonzo Ball, Lauri Markkanen, and Nik Stauskas.

Yet he completely ignores that (to name a few) Durant, Westbrook, Paul George, Kyrie, Devin Booker, Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, Dwayne Wade, and Wiggins all basically said that Kobe Bryant/Jordan were their role models

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#12 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,336 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 10, 2017 - 06:10 PM

To me, and i've been watching basketball a while there have been maybe a dozen generational talents.

The latest being LeBron.

Kobe and Shaq before him

Jordan before them

Magic and Bird before MJ

Dr J and Kareem 

Its tough to like the non lakers more than the Lakers being a laker fan.

But i've really enjoyed Bron's career and being able to watch all of it.

Just not as much as MJ.

But its so close i put them both above Kobe now.

And LBJ will eventually supplant MJ in a lot of people's minds that have seen both.

Even more of those that saw little of MJ

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users