88 replies to this topic

#41 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,336 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 07, 2017 - 11:48 AM

A buyout is highly unlikely. Deng would have to take a pretty huge cut in pay for this to be beneficial to the Lakers but why would he agree to that?

Trading Randle probably results in him never being a Laker again. He will be a RFA and it makes no sense for a team to take on Deng's contract if they dont intend on resigning Randle.

Most realistic outcomes are that Deng remains a laker and our FO pretty much ignores him or we attach an asset to him for a trade resulting in a loss of talent but more cap room in the Summer.

What asset?

No way lakers package Ingram, Kuzma or Ball with him do they?

That leaves Hart, Nance, or Randle.

What team wants any of those players enough?

This will be some serious Houdini chit if Lakers can pull it off without losing Ball, Ingram, or Kuzma

I honestly see Brewer, Clarkson and Randle all gone before Deng

Edited by kball, November 07, 2017 - 11:50 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#42 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,209 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 07, 2017 - 11:54 AM

Unless LA comes off a huge asset Deng is most likely getting stretched at the end of the year.  A rebuilding team wants a young or future good asset for him, a contender isn't moved by his level of play at this stage for his price.  LA is stuck.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#43 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 07, 2017 - 11:55 AM

Looks to me like Lopez is making a bit of a case to keep him as the 5 going forward.

Am i alone in feeling it may just be a very good scenario in doing so?

Possible but I'm also liking Randle as a small ball 5.  If the choice is Randle or Lopez, I think it comes down who takes what we have left after signing 2 max slots.  Not opposed to either, at this point.  Lopez would likely be a bigger draw to PG13 or LeBron and he's a much more stable alternative to Cousins.

Ah I suppose thats true. But still would require Deng to give up the money. I doubt he will for "The love of the game" like he said. 

Not probable at all.  If anything, it allows us to sell Deng as a lower cap hit to another team.  If a team wants Kuzma, Ingram, Clarkson or Randle, we can now claim that if they take Deng, he will take less than his guaranteed to leave their squad...

Again, not likely but possible.

tenor.gif

#44 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,502 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 11:57 AM

Deng for Ajinca and Asik.

Asik same years, less money...less of a hit if you stretch. Ajinca expires in 2 years, can be moved in the off-season as an expiring.

Edited by Massacre, November 07, 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#45 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,336 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 07, 2017 - 11:58 AM

The only other carrot lakers may have is to offer Deng some sort of lifetime employment contract (scouting, player development, assistant to Magic, etc) to take a substantially smaller buyout.

But even if they decide to offer something like that (on the lowdown) I can't see the players union being thrilled about a heavily discounted buyout.

Do we even get to know those buyout numbers?

Edited by kball, November 07, 2017 - 12:00 PM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#46 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 12:00 PM

The only other carrot lakers may have is to offer Deng some sort of lifetime employment contract to take a substantially smaller buyout.

But even if they decide to offer something like that (on the lowdown) I can't see the players union being thrilled about a heavily discounted buyout.

Do we even get to know those buyout numbers?

HIGHLY illegal...LOL.

If you thought the $500K was bad, wait til the league gets finished with us after that...

tenor.gif

#47 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,590 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 07, 2017 - 12:51 PM

HIGHLY illegal...LOL.

If you thought the $500K was bad, wait til the league gets finished with us after that...

Meh, Dirk and Timmy got that for all the paycuts they took for their squads back in the day and no one gives a [expletive].

The 500k was because we were the Lakers and it was easy. Most execs were outraged it happened because it's literally never enforced.

#48 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 01:16 PM

Meh, Dirk and Timmy got that for all the paycuts they took for their squads back in the day and no one gives a [expletive].

The 500k was because we were the Lakers and it was easy. Most execs were outraged it happened because it's literally never enforced.

Doesn't mean we won't get fined.  

Like using the "everyone else was going faster" excuse to try to get out of a speeding ticket.  If you're wrong, you're wrong.  You can complain about it being fair but you can't complain about it being right...

tenor.gif

#49 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,590 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 07, 2017 - 01:37 PM

Doesn't mean we won't get fined.

Like using the "everyone else was going faster" excuse to try to get out of a speeding ticket. If you're wrong, you're wrong. You can complain about it being fair but you can't complain about it being right...

Don’t care much about being fined, it ain’t my money lol

Anyways nothing is likey gonna happen here with the Deng situation. If we start to suck and someone wants to take Randle in order to get his rights in RFA, that could happen. If we keep playing with this sort of intensity, they’ll wait until the summer to re-evaluate their options.

If we’re getting two max guys (I doubt), we can get rid of Clarkson pretty easily in the offseason and wait just one more year to stretch/trade Deng.

Only way Deng really becomes an issue in our long term plan is if Clarkson becomes untracdable and Randle demands a max or near max that he’s well-deserving of. I don’t see either of those happen, but I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world if Randle turns out great and we only have to go after one max guy this summer to put us in playoff contention zone.

#50 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 07, 2017 - 01:55 PM

Don’t care much about being fined, it ain’t my money lol

Anyways nothing is likey gonna happen here with the Deng situation. If we start to suck and someone wants to take Randle in order to get his rights in RFA, that could happen. If we keep playing with this sort of intensity, they’ll wait until the summer to re-evaluate their options.

If we’re getting two max guys (I doubt), we can get rid of Clarkson pretty easily in the offseason and wait just one more year to stretch/trade Deng.

Only way Deng really becomes an issue in our long term plan is if Clarkson becomes untracdable and Randle demands a max or near max that he’s well-deserving of. I don’t see either of those happen, but I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world if Randle turns out great and we only have to go after one max guy this summer to put us in playoff contention zone.

What is Randle's max, $150m/ 5 years?  If so, I'm just not seeing it.

• GCMD likes this

#51 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 962 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted November 07, 2017 - 02:28 PM

What is Randle's max, $150m/ 5 years? If so, I'm just not seeing it.

will randle get a max offer from us or anyone?

#52 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white🍞& an 🍊

• 8,758 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted November 07, 2017 - 02:36 PM

Trade for a a truck full of Mountain Dew.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#53 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,368 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 07, 2017 - 02:39 PM

Randle shouldn't be getting the max. He's too inconsistent.

• GCMD likes this

#54 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 962 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 03:57 PM

Trade for a a truck full of Mountain Dew.

can even be an S10

#55 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,659 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 07, 2017 - 11:10 PM

What is Randle's max, $150m/ 5 years?  If so, I'm just not seeing it.

Randle's max is 5yrs, 150M. But he's not getting that much.

will randle get a max offer from us or anyone?

Not from us or anyone else, because they can't offer the 5 years. 

IMO Randle is worth right around 15M/yr.

I could see a team with cap space offering him a short-term max - e.g. 2yrs, 50M - which would make it tough for Lakers to match.

#56 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,591 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 07, 2017 - 11:36 PM

Can Bron play the type of D Randle has shown recently.

If he continues this play... i rather add Avery Bradley and keep Julius and let Ingram and Kuzma and Lonzo be our building blocks.

#57 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,502 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 12:01 AM

Can Bron play the type of D Randle has shown recently.

If he continues this play... i rather add Avery Bradley and keep Julius and let Ingram and Kuzma and Lonzo be our building blocks.

Randle could play D like Draymond and I'm still not passing on LeBron.

Edited by Massacre, November 08, 2017 - 12:01 AM.

• GCMD, KidRN and Olabebeh like this

#58 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 962 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 01:41 AM

Randle's max is 5yrs, 150M. But he's not getting that much.

Not from us or anyone else, because they can't offer the 5 years.

IMO Randle is worth right around 15M/yr.

I could see a team with cap space offering him a short-term max - e.g. 2yrs, 50M - which would make it tough for Lakers to match.

That’s what I’m thinking 15

#59 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 05:13 AM

The lakers might save money themselves but it doesn't effect cap room. Lakers will still get the full contract agaisnt the cap. So buyout really doesn't do anything for the team other than save the franchise actual money but it would guarantee the lakers could never trade Deng and his contract will always go agaisnt the cap. 

Also these buyouts rarely save the team that much. Deng would still get at least 14 mill a year for the remaining. Thats maybe 6 mill in savings.

I still think Deng will be a very tradable asset in his last year as a expiring contract. 16 mill expiring contract is valuable. Best to just keep him on the roster till then and get what you can out of him. Even if its a 2nd rounder that still worth keeping him. 

This would also assume we don't value 2 max contracts this summer over players we currently have...that's the only way we feel it's not worth it to move Deng if we could, which would be with another young asset.

tenor.gif

#60 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 05:16 AM

Randle could play D like Draymond and I'm still not passing on LeBron.

LOL...yep.  No way, no how.

tenor.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users