• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 07, 2017 - 07:34 AM

Lakers FO have made it clear over the years they will never try to save money in the sake of the team. 

Not sure what you're saying but the Lakers have made it clear they will sacrifice talent to get better and shave MONEY off the salary.  See D-Russ/Moz trade for expiring Lopez/27th pick.

Not sure why, with that as a precedent, you claim they wouldn't buyout Deng to save money.

I do agree that they'd rather trade him for an expiring.  Better option for all involved.  Doesn't mean it's possible or probable.  Also doesn't make a buyout a bad option, just not as good.

If the Lakers can buyout Deng for half what they owe him (54M over the next 3 years, this year included), that's huge.  Would it be enough of a saving?  Not sure.  Would Deng agree to it?  LOL...seriously doubt it.

Is a buyout likely?  No...but not because the Lakers wouldn't agree to it.

• LakerGeezer likes this

tenor.gif

#22 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,336 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 07, 2017 - 07:47 AM

Tough to stomach Deng is more a vet minimum type impact player for another squad.

Ouch

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#23 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,063 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 07, 2017 - 07:50 AM

Not sure what you're saying but the Lakers have made it clear they will sacrifice talent to get better and shave MONEY off the salary.  See D-Russ/Moz trade for expiring Lopez/27th pick.

Not sure why, with that as a precedent, you claim they wouldn't buyout Deng to save money.

I do agree that they'd rather trade him for an expiring.  Better option for all involved.  Doesn't mean it's possible or probable.  Also doesn't make a buyout a bad option, just not as good.

If the Lakers can buyout Deng for half what they owe him (54M over the next 3 years, this year included), that's huge.  Would it be enough of a saving?  Not sure.  Would Deng agree to it?  LOL...seriously doubt it.

Is a buyout likely?  No...but not because the Lakers wouldn't agree to it.

The lakers might save money themselves but it doesn't effect cap room. Lakers will still get the full contract agaisnt the cap. So buyout really doesn't do anything for the team other than save the franchise actual money but it would guarantee the lakers could never trade Deng and his contract will always go agaisnt the cap. 

Also these buyouts rarely save the team that much. Deng would still get at least 14 mill a year for the remaining. Thats maybe 6 mill in savings.

I still think Deng will be a very tradable asset in his last year as a expiring contract. 16 mill expiring contract is valuable. Best to just keep him on the roster till then and get what you can out of him. Even if its a 2nd rounder that still worth keeping him. 

• dazz likes this

#24 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,063 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 07:54 AM

What's Deng's cap hit if we waive and stretch him?

I would not want to lose another young piece as the cost of getting rid of him. 

Deng would still be a 7-8 mill cap hit for another 5 years after this season if we stretch. Probably better to just hold him. 

#25 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,063 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 08:01 AM

We’ve made numerous money saving moves.
Hell we amnestied Ron Artest.
This organization won’t penny pinch when it comes to building a contender but, we will when it comes to bad investments.

All money saving moves were for cap room. Buying Deng out does not help our cap room. His contract will still fully go against the cap. If anything it hurts it because it prevents the lakers from trading him at that point. Amnestying MWP was a cap saving move because it actually takes the players money off the cap. I can't think of a single time in the past 10 years where the lakers made a money saving move that hurt their team without helping the cap. 

#26 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 07, 2017 - 08:12 AM

As much as I'd love to see him moved and I suggested tagging Randle onto a deal, I don't really want to see that happen.  Randle seems to have accepted his bench role and is flourishing.  Messing with team chemistry when its headed the right way and we are no where near contention may not be wise.  Best option may be to just maintain status quo on Deng until the huge contract becomes an asset as an expiring deal. 

That said, I would like to see him play a little.  It certainly couldn't hurt his trade value.  I trust Magic and Pelinka to make the correct long term play on this.  They have done more in 6 months to build an exciting, talented roster than the last regime did in several years.

#27 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,669 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 07, 2017 - 08:33 AM

All money saving moves were for cap room. Buying Deng out does not help our cap room. His contract will still fully go against the cap. If anything it hurts it because it prevents the lakers from trading him at that point. Amnestying MWP was a cap saving move because it actually takes the players money off the cap. I can't think of a single time in the past 10 years where the lakers made a money saving move that hurt their team without helping the cap. 

It spreads out the cap hit...I guess you could call it "cap neutral" unless the Lakers were able to negotiate a settlement on the buyout.

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#28 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 08:49 AM

The lakers might save money themselves but it doesn't effect cap room. Lakers will still get the full contract agaisnt the cap. So buyout really doesn't do anything for the team other than save the franchise actual money but it would guarantee the lakers could never trade Deng and his contract will always go agaisnt the cap. 

Also these buyouts rarely save the team that much. Deng would still get at least 14 mill a year for the remaining. Thats maybe 6 mill in savings.

I still think Deng will be a very tradable asset in his last year as a expiring contract. 16 mill expiring contract is valuable. Best to just keep him on the roster till then and get what you can out of him. Even if its a 2nd rounder that still worth keeping him. 

Are you claiming a buyout doesn't change the amount of salary that counts against the cap?

The CBA disagrees with your claim.  If he agrees to alter/reduce the guaranteed amount remaining, only the reduced amount counts vs the cap.

http://www.cbafaq.co...larycap.htm#Q63

See Q63, Q64, Q65, Q66, Q67...

Edited by GCMD, November 07, 2017 - 08:50 AM.

• kray28 and Rekal like this

tenor.gif

#29 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,406 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 07, 2017 - 08:52 AM

If the right deal comes along that doesn't involve having to ship out multiple young assets / picks then sure.  If not then I wouldn't do something drastic like buy out or stretch his contract.  If it looks like we're legitimately going to land 2 stars this summer then you gotta do what you gotta do to get rid of him but if not I say hold onto him until 2019.  Bucks just got Bledsoe for Monroe's expiring and a lottery protected pick so....

#30 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 08:53 AM

As much as I'd love to see him moved and I suggested tagging Randle onto a deal, I don't really want to see that happen.  Randle seems to have accepted his bench role and is flourishing.  Messing with team chemistry when its headed the right way and we are no where near contention may not be wise.  Best option may be to just maintain status quo on Deng until the huge contract becomes an asset as an expiring deal. 

That said, I would like to see him play a little.  It certainly couldn't hurt his trade value.  I trust Magic and Pelinka to make the correct long term play on this.  They have done more in 6 months to build an exciting, talented roster than the last regime did in several years.

If you want to keep Randle, shipping him out with Deng would be the best case scenario to get him in the summer.  Subtract Deng's contract completely and we can offer Randle a Clarkson-type deal outright AND possibly sign 2 max slots, assuming we move Clarkson (possible) and don't retain Lopez or KCP...

Keeping Deng means we are NOT likely to keep Randle this summer...just won't have the money.

Edited by GCMD, November 07, 2017 - 08:54 AM.

• LakerGeezer likes this

tenor.gif

#31 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,063 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:00 AM

Are you claiming a buyout doesn't change the amount of salary that counts against the cap?

The CBA disagrees with your claim.  If he agrees to alter/reduce the guaranteed amount remaining, only the reduced amount counts vs the cap.

http://www.cbafaq.co...larycap.htm#Q63

See Q63, Q64, Q65, Q66, Q67...

Ah I suppose thats true. But still would require Deng to give up the money. I doubt he will for "The love of the game" like he said. 

• GCMD likes this

#32 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,250 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:07 AM

can someone of you  sexy fellas can explain to me how a buyout works?

does the player basiclly buys himself out of his contract and the franchise has to sit on his money until the contract expires ?

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#33 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,466 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:14 AM

Buyout not happening, market for him doesn't exist. Deng will retire as a Laker. Thank you Jim and Mitch, thank you very much.

#34 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:24 AM

If you want to keep Randle, shipping him out with Deng would be the best case scenario to get him in the summer.  Subtract Deng's contract completely and we can offer Randle a Clarkson-type deal outright AND possibly sign 2 max slots, assuming we move Clarkson (possible) and don't retain Lopez or KCP...

Keeping Deng means we are NOT likely to keep Randle this summer...just won't have the money.

Good points, I didn't see that angle.  However I don't think trading a player away and then re-signing him is likely.  I can recall a few times it has happened,  It all boils down to whether the FO thinks we have a legit shot at 2 max players.  If we do, then a Randle/ Deng package now makes some sense I guess.

• GCMD likes this

#35 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,336 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:25 AM

Ah I suppose thats true. But still would require Deng to give up the money. I doubt he will for "The love of the game" like he said. 

Neither would I.

Would you?

Love the game.

Love the money more

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#36 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,336 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:29 AM

Looks to me like Lopez is making a bit of a case to keep him as the 5 going forward.

Am i alone in feeling it may just be a very good scenario in doing so?

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#37 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,931 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:42 AM

it would be about 7.4 or 7.6 years if the Lakers buy him out and then that would be stretched out for 5 years or 7, i think.

think Gilbert A.... that money ain't ever coming off. LOL

#38 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:49 AM

Neither would I.

Would you?

Love the game.

Love the money more

All depends on whether he wants to play soon.

#39 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,733 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:59 AM

I wish we had just one more expendable prospect ro trade deng with

I wish we could just pay him 45-60 million to retire
Posted Image

#40 KidRN

KidRN

Superstar

• 8,342 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 07, 2017 - 11:32 AM

A buyout is highly unlikely. Deng would have to take a pretty huge cut in pay for this to be beneficial to the Lakers but why would he agree to that?

Trading Randle probably results in him never being a Laker again. He will be a RFA and it makes no sense for a team to take on Deng's contract if they dont intend on resigning Randle.

Most realistic outcomes are that Deng remains a laker and our FO pretty much ignores him or we attach an asset to him for a trade resulting in a loss of talent but more cap room in the Summer.

Edited by KidRN, November 07, 2017 - 11:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users