#461 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 5,442 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 22, 2018 - 08:54 PM

Sometimes a little tough love goes a long way but Luke is not Byron. Unlike Byron, Luke is aware his players aren't motivated by the same things so he handles each one differently. I for one think he's done a great job in dealing with Randle. They seem to have a different kind of relationship with a different way of communicating. 

• Rekal likes this

#462 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,653 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 22, 2018 - 10:08 PM

I don't think you understand the context in which my comment was delivered. Luke's criticism of Kuzma's poor performance on defensive assignments is not what is wrong about what Luke said. For a coach to be vocal about his players and be communicative brings openness about whatever issues they might have. However, it is the tone and action of Luke when he spoke to media is what worries me. If the players that played over Kuzma in remaining minutes deserved playing time because they played good defense, then shouldn't they be the focus? Doesn't highlighting Kuzma's bad performance overshadow the win and the good performance by other players? and worse, isolate Kuzma from his peers? It is the conviction in which Luke spoke is what bothers me.

A good leader would not highlight the bad publicly, instead he would take it to Kuzma and ask him if he is OK, and if there are anything he could do to help Kuzma. Everyone has bad days, and they might not put in the desirable performance but in the end it is the journey that matters, not result or destination. For a rookie to be criticized publicly by his own coach leaves a bad impression. You might remember, we have been through this in D'Angelo's rookie year when Byron Scoot took every opportunity to bash D'Angelo and Julius in media sessions. And that didn't turn out too well for all parties involved.

Leaders are not in charge of their followers, they are responsible for people who are in their charge. There is a difference.

I get your point, but i think you're overreacting a little bit with the "throw Kuzma under the bus on media? *facepalm* Horrible leadership"-comment.

All he said was he took him out because of defense and didn't put him in because other guys were getting the job done. That is an absolutely correct description of what happend and not really a slight on Kuzma, much less "throw Kuzma under the bus on media? *facepalm* Horrible leadership". It's not like he questioned his toughness or his ability or anything.

#463 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,803 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 22, 2018 - 10:31 PM

Players were playing on both ends of the floor. You know how rate it is for Luke to leave players that are doing good in't he game to close it out? Lol j/k

You have to ride with what works and Luke did that. The team was playing both ends of the floor. No need to put the kid back in
  • Rekal likes this

#464 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,988 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 10:03 PM

Looks like my prediction of us not winning 20 games might hold true.

Where are the haters now? Let the record show I saw this before all of you.

Hey big boy, so are the lakers going 2-33 the rest of the season. Man you REALLY saw this before all of us

Phew good thing we have you on here to spread the word. Any more predictions? Vikings winning the Super Bowl?
  • AnnoyingCustomer, MaceWindu and Rekal like this
Posted Image

#465 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,803 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 10:28 PM

Lol... Not even half the season is up yet.. already have a better record thsnast season. I though most folks here had them in the 20's. Correct me if I'm wrong
  • GCMD likes this

#466 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,154 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 23, 2018 - 10:33 PM

We need defense fo sho, and sometimes getting benched sends the message louder than words!

#467 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,154 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 10:34 PM

If he picks up his D he’d be a complete player, this is a long term solution.

#468 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,392 posts

Posted January 24, 2018 - 04:38 AM

Crickets
  • FranklinPeanuts and GCMD like this

#469 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,231 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 24, 2018 - 07:29 AM

We need to start hitting our FT's... its atrocious!

#470 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 5,442 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 24, 2018 - 08:16 AM

Crickets

Luke has silenced the critics  :D

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#471 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,408 posts

Posted January 24, 2018 - 09:28 AM

Luke isn't perfect and may not even be the perfect coach for this team but the idea that he's a "bad coach" is just plain wrong.

• LACAS likes this

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#472 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,101 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 24, 2018 - 10:23 AM

I think it pretty safe to say that Luke's job is not in any kind of danger. 

Bottomline: Luke can't do anything from the sideline which can help these guys make their damn freethrows. 

• MaceWindu and LACAS like this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#473 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,622 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 24, 2018 - 03:18 PM

Luke’s job will start being heavily evaluated starting next season

ap1.png

#474 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,154 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 03:20 PM

Let’s not jump the gun here certainly we all wish for more wins but I don’t see any reason to even consider his removal as yet.

#475 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,803 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 08:27 PM

Plain and simple. They lose.. folks want his head.. they win... they on hush mode until they lose again

#476 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,602 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted January 25, 2018 - 10:00 PM

Plain and simple. They lose.. folks want his head.. they win... they on hush mode until they lose again

Not true lol. We still think he sucks. I just really enjoy them winning more than [expletive]ing about Luke. Winning cures all.
  • MaceWindu and Rekal like this

#477 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,988 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 11:02 PM

Luke’s far from a perfect coach. But he’s not bad. He has his team much improved from last season. He’ll at this point if they go 14-21 the rest of the way they’ve improved 15 games over last season and if they go a measly 9-26 they’ve improved by 10

And most impressively they’ve went from last to top 15 In defense

He’s the first lakers coach to in this era of suckage to make good on his promise of defensive improvement

I look at him similarly to our young players. He’s given time to grow, and as long as he shows upward trend he gets to continue to grow. And by the time the roster starts shaping up through additions and growth you start to cut the fat

If he’s part of the fat slowing us down you shed him

If he’s part of the upward trend still you keep him
Posted Image

#478 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,988 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 11:09 PM

I mean for example the Timberwolves have Towns and Wiggins two guys who are supposedly better prospects than anything we have (Towns obviously is, don’t think much of Wiggins) and they made a trade for butler (the type of trade so many want on here)

And they’re what 8 games less in the loss column?

They’re maybe going to win low 50s high 40s

It’s not easy to rebuild. That’s why I want the lakers to build the right team. I don’t want them to formulate this roster of talented poor fits and be stuck in mediocrity. I want them to find the right guys. And then evaluate luke from there
Posted Image

#479 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,223 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 26, 2018 - 05:09 AM

Agreed. Plus having his dad, fine coaching at Arizona, Phil, Kobe,Kerr and many more players and asst coaches and basketball people around him, he's not out of touch and won't be.
Love how he empowers the players that are passive naturally ( Zo, Ingram, Nance) and reins in the naturally aggressive players like Kuz and Clarkson and Julius.
Fans may get frustrated but it drives the defense of this team.
  • FranklinPeanuts likes this

#480 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,803 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 09:10 AM

Luke is not all bad. He does well for what he has on this roster. Improved defense and has these kids competing.
  • MaceWindu likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users