--Hey Brother!--

• 28,264 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted January 11, 2018 - 10:24 AM

Send Luke back to GS. 

Javalle and the rat tail for Lukas.

#402 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 11, 2018 - 12:01 PM

The FO should go to Walton and tell him, that he needs better assistants that are strong in the things he's weak at, like X's and O's cause and effect, defense, adapting, etc etc etc. 

Basically that he needs a Ron Adams and Gentry on his staff. Or assistants like that, if the team is going to do anything with him there. 

They need to give Luke the option to fire his assistants and go and search for those types of hires especially if the FO has a few people in mind. 

Now if Luke gets that information and says no, that he wants to stick with the staff he has. Then the Lakers need to fire him. 

This was what happened to Mark Jackson in Golden State. The FO went to him and told him that he needed better assistants(like Gentry and Adams) and Mark Jackson said no, he already had the best assistants in the league as far as he was concerned. 

So the FO fired him, got Kerr, whom hired Adams and Gentry, and the Warriors took off. 

The current FO needs to give Luke the same ultimatum. If Luke says yes, great, we can get two assistants like that on our bench it could save his job. 

If Luke says no, then he needs to go. 

That's where I currently stand on this.

There is no better example of Walton needing some assistants that will actually challenge him/ reel him in, particularly on the things he doesn't know than the evidence of our starting lineup.  

Anyone remember this from a few months ago

Lakers are a better Offensive & Defensive team with Randle or Kuzma next to Lopez than they are with Nance doing so

4m0jtztmjl101.png

https://www.reddit.c...sive_team_with/

Wonder what Luke's gonna run with now that the falsity that we're a better defensive team with Nance starting has been put to bed.

Well the main thing was that we needed a bigger sample size.  Because even though the Ball / KCP / Ingram / Randle/ Lopez lineup was one of our best, and the best one in differential we needed the bigger sample size.  But ultimately Luke after testing it out briefly went back to what he was doing before. 

Well now, since the Ball / KCP / Ingram / Randle / Lopez starting lineup has happened, the Lakers have apparently been 2nd in the league in Defensive Efficiency.   

Now.. this is both fantastic, but it is also maddening that it took so long for us to get this lineup and that it took so long for Luke to finally go to it despite the evidence being very in front of his face and very obviously and likely given to him by our new analytics team.  Luke just ultimately decided not to listen. 

But had he listened, or went with the very obvious lineup from the start of the season, it makes you wonder what our record could have been. 

Shoudla, woulda, coulda, on what Luke should have done.  But to me this is very apparently how behind Luke is on X's and O's and listening to analytics.  This is one of the biggest reasons why he needs to be surrounded by assistants whom will challenge him, and push him, and also work on the things he is weak at. 

There was a very good thread on reddit not too long ago that puts the importance of this kind of thing into perspective, ESPECIALLY with a young coach. 

I posted this in the game thread but I figured I’d post it here as well for some discussion.

I was reading an article on nfl.com about Sean McVay: http://www.nfl.com/n...ams-his-own-way

Here’s a little background on McVay.

McVay is the 31 year old head coach of the LA Rams. He was hired a year ago and became the youngest head coach in modern NFL history. He was considered a rising star and offensive genius when he was the offensive coordinator with the Washington Redskins for three seasons before being hired with the Rams.

The LA Rams are the 3 seed in their conference’s playoffs and went from 4-12 a year ago to 11-5 in McVay’s first year. They also made the playoffs for the first time since 2003 and first winning record since that year as well.

The team also went from the lowest scoring offense last season to the highest this season which has never been done in NFL history.
Key players were added but no superstars and his two stars on offense this season (Goff and Gurley) had rough seasons the previous year.

But anyway, there’s a tidbit that caught my eye. Chris Cooley, who is a former tight end with McVay and the Redskins, is being interviewed:

Many incoming coaches talk about culture changes; actually effecting one is a tricky proposition. McVay adeptly sold his principles (shared ownership, accountability, constant competition) to a receptive audience; first, however, he did several very smart things.

It started with the staff. Right away, McVay landed 69-year-old Wade Phillips, a former head coach of the Broncos, Bills and Cowboys, as his defensive coordinator. He brought in accomplished veteran assistants like Olson, Aaron Kromer (offensive line), Bill Johnson (defensive line) and Barry. He retained a pair of highly regarded assistants, John Fassel (special teams) and Skip Peete (running backs), from Fisher's staff. His choice for offensive coordinator: LaFleur, a highly regarded strategist who'd been the quarterbacks coach in Atlanta under offensive coordinator (and newly hired 49ers coach) Kyle Shanahan, Mike's son.

“There's a lot of diversity on that staff," Cooley says. "He did a brilliant job of putting it together. A lot of young coaches make the mistake of [only] hiring guys they know. Sean didn't." “He also showed emphatically that, unlike some young coaches, he was secure enough to hire experienced, highly regarded assistants without feeling threatened.”

Isn’t this the opposite of what Luke did? He hired all of his buddies. Steve Kerr has Mike Brown(formerly Alvin Gentry). Billy Donovan has Mo Cheeks. These guys hire guys with NBA head coaching exp because they don’t feel threatened and can learn as relatively new NBA head coaches themselves.

via Ron-S
https://www.reddit.c...coaching_staff/

People keep saying that Luke is young and needs time to learn...So why didn't he at least try to surround himself with people to learn from?

These are very apparent problems, but they were apparent with Byron too.  

Unfortunately I think Luke shares Byron's 'old school mentality' of ignoring analytics and going strictly on favoritism and feel until he's forced to have to make a decision far past when he should have. 

What I think Luke needs is assistants that don't share his 'old school' mentality towards analytics, and are also far better than he is at X's and O's.  If he surrounds himself with people like that, it can help mask some of his errors and weaknesses as a coach and focus on what he does best while letting the other assistants handle the rest. 

Similar to what Phil did with Tex Winters, and what Kerr did with Gentry and Ron Adams.   It was Mark Jackson's refusal to do so with surrounding himself with those kind of assistants that got him fired.  Luke should be given the same ultimatum.   

That is where I stand on this right now. 

Edited by Majesty, January 11, 2018 - 12:03 PM.

• UKUGA likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#403 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,071 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 11, 2018 - 12:40 PM

That is where I stand on this right now. 

So where do you stand? ;)

#404 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,845 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 11, 2018 - 11:15 PM

Up on deck SAC, SAS and DAL... we should be able to build off last nights W and Zo's return and win 2 out of 3 if not all 3... SAS should be without Kawhi.

lol go buy a lottery ticket.
couldn’t hurt

next two games are winnable.

Edited by Rekal, January 11, 2018 - 11:17 PM.

• LACAS likes this

#405 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,071 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 04:26 AM

Up on deck SAC, SAS and DAL... we should be able to build off last nights W and Zo's return and win 2 out of 3 if not all 3... SAS should be without Kawhi. 

Edited by LACAS, January 12, 2018 - 04:29 AM.

• GCMD likes this

#406 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,071 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 04:28 AM

lol go buy a lottery ticket.
couldn’t hurt

next two games are winnable.

LOL.... Im simply not as down on these kids as some are, thats all.

Edited by LACAS, January 12, 2018 - 05:18 AM.

• Rekal likes this

#407 Olabebeh

Olabebeh

Off The Bench

• 1,491 posts
  • Name:Rafael
  • Fan Since:92
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant / Magic Johnson

Posted January 12, 2018 - 12:58 PM

It seems Lakers are eyeing David Fizdale http://www.slamonlin...OUXaBmkhuMZ7.97

#408 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,845 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 12, 2018 - 12:59 PM

Woah

#409 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,556 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 12, 2018 - 01:22 PM

It seems Lakers are eyeing David Fizdale http://www.slamonlin...OUXaBmkhuMZ7.97

I called it. Fizdale is a good coach.
  • Olabebeh likes this

#410 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,150 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 01:39 PM

It’s just speculation. Windhorst has no Laker sources.
  • Olabebeh likes this

#411 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,848 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 12, 2018 - 03:00 PM

It seems Lakers are eyeing David Fizdale http://www.slamonlin...OUXaBmkhuMZ7.97

Windhorst doesn't have any sources. Probably bs. 

• Majesty and Olabebeh like this

#412 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 647 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 12, 2018 - 04:33 PM

If it is true and it happens prepare yourself for 24/7 "LaVar Ball runs the Lakers".   

• Rekal and Olabebeh like this

#413 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,727 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 12, 2018 - 07:43 PM

With 3 years left on Luke's deal, I cannot see it happening

#414 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,264 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted January 12, 2018 - 08:11 PM

Goodbye HTJ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#415 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,014 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 12, 2018 - 10:32 PM

Fred-Savage-Hell-Yes.gif

• bfc1125roy and LACAS like this

tenor.gif

#416 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,402 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 13, 2018 - 12:43 AM

Great that we're finally considering getting rid of this clown.

Fizdale is a good coach who actually has plays to run. Finally we won't rely on purely PnR offense anymore. 

#417 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,478 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 13, 2018 - 01:15 AM

Luke is a clown?

Based on what?

#418 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,402 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 13, 2018 - 01:29 AM

Luke is a clown?

Based on what?

Fact that he doesn't run an offense despite being an NBA coach.

#419 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,478 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 13, 2018 - 12:05 PM

You pathetic

#420 Toe Sucker

Toe Sucker

I suck my own toes.

• 11,743 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 12:48 PM

#StayLuke4

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users