6 replies to this topic

#1 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,675 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 13, 2017 - 01:50 PM

Magic just talks too much for his own good. Some things you just need to keep to yourself.

In an in-game interview last week, Magic told an NBA sideline reporter that he "didn't have any expectations", and that he was just "looking for the team to develop and get better". This was a mistake.

Stuff like this is so cliche that it essentially goes without saying. Obviously, you want them to grow/gel/develop....but to say even before the season starts that you have no expectations is the wrong move on every level. Basically, you are removing the pressure to win, the pressure to be accountable for any of the mishaps to come....even before they come.

It sends the wrong message to a young coach like Luke that winning isn't going to be used as a barometer for success....when Luke has shown that he is very much susceptible to coaching mistakes that sometimes lead to losing. 

it sends the wrong message to a player like Lonzo who was introduced as the "face of the franchise" by Magic, and has been saying that his goal is to try to make the playoffs. Whether or not that goal is realistic is another convo, but Magic just preemptively undercut it with his "no expectations".

It sends a mixed message to young players like Ingram who have been set up as future cornerstones, but are also seeing messages in the media that management doesn't expect much...especially in light of preseason struggles. All in all, I don't think Magic is helping here. 

Edited by kray28, October 13, 2017 - 01:54 PM.

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#2 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,345 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 13, 2017 - 05:46 PM

Well, the thing about making statement like Magic did, is that once the season gets rolling, he can (and should) make new statements.

Which i'm sure he will.

Either to light a fire beneath their likely underperforming behinds.

Or to keep the pressure on if they somehow over perform out of the gates.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#3 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 394 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted October 14, 2017 - 07:39 AM

I get it but I think you're overthinking things and having anxiety as a result of the pre-season.

Magic turned the Dodgers around, he'll turn this Lakers team around too.............................. eventually

As far as being asked on expectations, did you really want Magic to say, "Our goal is to make playoffs" or even a much more modest goal like "More wins this season than last season" and then watch the millennial snowflakes on our team get absolutely crushed when it doesn't happen. Prime Kobe has retired, there's no more brute forcing wins and championships through the sheer force of the Dark Side, all witness the power of Darth Kobe.

What we have instead are a bunch of well-intentioned athletic young players with a lot of potential that genuinely don't get what their doing wrong.

I do think we'll technically get more wins this season from last season................... It's progress

#4 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 226 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 18, 2017 - 02:05 PM

If the players have to be lied to or patronized in order for them to be motivated to win, then their future is nowhere to begin with. They'll want to win. Luke will want to win. They know Magic wants them to win, but his expectations are for them to work hard towards improvement. Working hard is working to win. You can't divorce one from the other. Fans' expectations may be out of whack, though, so I'd bet the message Magic is sending via the media is not to his coaches and players.

#5 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,779 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted October 18, 2017 - 02:46 PM

Complain complain complain his job had to do with media and maybe the question shouldn’t have been asked more the blame the the response imo

#6 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,605 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted October 18, 2017 - 04:15 PM

I think he's scaling back his comments after his hype about Ingram proved to be counterproductive in the preseason. 

• GCMD likes this

#7 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 18, 2017 - 11:34 PM

I think he's scaling back his comments after his hype about Ingram proved to be counterproductive in the preseason. 

Yep...was the right thing to do, even if it's not what we want to hear.

tenor.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users