#1 Jaime Quintanilla

Jaime Quintanilla

Redesign. Rebuild. Reclaim.

• Site Admin
  • 4,361 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 06, 2017 - 08:49 AM

@ZachLowe_NBA: The Lakers are hiring Jason Rosenfeld, the NBA's director of basketball analytics, to fill the same role in L.A., sources say.

Source: https://twitter.com/...317049525342208

• Mr Terrific and DanishLakerFan like this

#2 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted October 06, 2017 - 01:54 PM

Eh.

Don't know why the Lakers are all of a sudden getting caught up in this analytic's fad that these ESPN "analysts" were trying to force feed the public.

The NBA is a superstar driven league. You want to win the most games? Find a way to group as much NBA stars as possible, and you will win a lot of games. No magic to it.

Edited by Jackson, October 06, 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#3 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 06, 2017 - 02:02 PM

Analytics isn't about magic formulas man.  Yes it's a star driven league but putting quality pieces around your stars helps.  It also keeps your team from giving players like Mozgov 16M deals when other guys like Dedmon are on the market.  Nothing wrong with additional information.  This is how you find the Draymond's, Kuzma like guys that don't dominate at the college level like stars but can/do become integral parts of great teams. 

Eh.

Don't know why the Lakers are all of a sudden getting caught up in this analytic's fad that these ESPN "analysts" were trying to force feed the public.

The NBA is a superstar driven league. You want to win the most games? Find a way to group as much NBA stars as possible, and you will win a lot of games. No magic to it.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#4 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted October 06, 2017 - 02:11 PM

Analytics isn't about magic formulas man.  Yes it's a star driven league but putting quality pieces around your stars helps.  It also keeps your team from giving players like Mozgov 16M deals when other guys like Dedmon are on the market.  Nothing wrong with additional information. 

I think that legit comes down to common sense. The Mozgov and Deng deals were criticized as soon as they were signed. You don't need advanced stats to tell you that Mozgov shouldn't have been signed for 16M when no other team was offering anything close to that.

Analytics isn't about magic formulas man.  Yes it's a star driven league but putting quality pieces around your stars helps.  It also keeps your team from giving players like Mozgov 16M deals when other guys like Dedmon are on the market.  Nothing wrong with additional information.  This is how you find the Draymond's, Kuzma like guys that don't dominate at the college level like stars but can/do become integral parts of great teams. 

That' comes down to scouting. If you want to find the hidden gems, you scout better.The reason why guys like Draymond and Kuzma are slept on and fall in the draft in the first place is because they're crucified by these advanced stats that somehow determine they don't have the necessary skills/talent or they don't have the stats in college to back them up.

• FranklinPeanuts and LACAS like this

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 06, 2017 - 02:52 PM

It not always simply common sense.  You think these GMs are lacking sense?  I think Mitch had plenty of it.  There's more to analytics than simply bball stuff.  Im not in a front office to say what everything is but I work in the analytics world in finance.  Using analytics to sign players to quality contracts is a thing.  Why do you think minus Ryan Anderson Houston hasn't had any issue moving guys that were considered "overpaid".  Giving players tradeable contracts or team friendly contracts isn't simply based on common sense.  

Looking into things like injury history isn't just a Dr eye test.  You can use numbers and things to track trends and what not.  You can use this information to help shape your roster and what type of plays you run and are successful at. 

The Spurs have been using analytics for years.  It's not until it became a buzzword that people think it's simply some nerd [expletive].  Analytics is just INFORMATION.  

I think that legit comes down to common sense. The Mozgov and Deng deals were criticized as soon as they were signed. You don't need advanced stats to tell you that Mozgov shouldn't have been signed for 16M when no other team was offering anything close to that.

That' comes down to scouting. If you want to find the hidden gems, you scout better.The reason why guys like Draymond and Kuzma are slept on and fall in the draft in the first place is because they're crucified by these advanced stats that somehow determine they don't have the necessary skills/talent or they don't have the stats in college to back them up.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#6 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,195 posts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 08:04 PM

The league almost started and they are hiring a person to fill a need now? What were they doing in summer?

fXlFKv8.gif

#7 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,561 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted October 07, 2017 - 12:00 AM

The league almost started and they are hiring a person to fill a need now? What were they doing in summer?

That's not how this business works. Rosenfeld was the director of analytics for the god damn NBA. Just think of the magnitude of his job and understand that there's no way it could be filled quickly. It's likely that this offer was made a while back and couldn't be accepted until they found a replacement.

#8 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,195 posts

Posted October 07, 2017 - 01:36 AM

That's not how this business works. Rosenfeld was the director of analytics for the god damn NBA. Just think of the magnitude of his job and understand that there's no way it could be filled quickly. It's likely that this offer was made a while back and couldn't be accepted until they found a replacement.

I don't think you understood what I said. I'm looking at Lakers' perspective, not NBA. If there were no basketball analytics expert on the team, I don't know what they did all summer with a team that is to be rebuilt.

fXlFKv8.gif

#9 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,761 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 07, 2017 - 11:07 AM

I don't think you understood what I said. I'm looking at Lakers' perspective, not NBA. If there were no basketball analytics expert on the team, I don't know what they did all summer with a team that is to be rebuilt.

There was an analytics team but no director of analytics. Jason Rosenfield was the guy they wanted since May, so there was likely a spoken agreement back then. 

No point in rushing to sign someone during the summer when the final roster isn't known and there is no data or evidence of the team (especially the rookies) playing together. 

Now they have their guy, and the analytics will increasingly help as the team gets playing time together and Luke's system is implemented. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users