#41 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 323 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 06, 2017 - 08:59 AM

Ball and Julius is like mixing Chocolate ice cream with onions ... they just don’t go together.
The offense just deflates as soon as Julius touches the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

You made me laugh hard!!!

#42 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,547 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted October 06, 2017 - 10:18 AM

Guys are we still making the playoffs this year? Winning 35+ games? Will LeBron or George want to leave winners(with proven talent) just to play in LA? Zero point zero

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Jackson likes this

#43 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted October 06, 2017 - 10:58 AM

Guys are we still making the playoffs this year? Winning 35+ games? Will LeBron or George want to leave winners(with proven talent) just to play in LA? Zero point zero

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All those pre-season expectations are going to come down crashing. They'll be crashing really hard. People forgot just how really bad the Lakers were last season, and adding more rookies meant that team progress was going to be stalled, if any.

Edited by Jackson, October 06, 2017 - 11:00 AM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#44 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,063 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 06, 2017 - 11:46 AM

Pre-season doesn't mean a lot to any team.  Totally different circumstances in all respects.

I have no idea why this lesson simply is ignored every damn season.

I've never said the Lakers will be good this coming season or anything like that.  But there has yet to be a pre-season for any team that is completely indicative of their performance during the regular season.

• GCMD likes this

#45 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 06, 2017 - 11:48 AM

Not to mention Bogut sustaining an injury around game 5 if he's even playing by then.

I think Lopez, KCP and Randle will be pretty solid game in game out.

Everyone else is literally a crapshoot of inconsistency, lack of minutes, overpaid, or inexperience.

Edited by kball, October 06, 2017 - 11:49 AM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,288 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 06, 2017 - 01:45 PM

Every preseason is different but at some point the more experienced young players SHOULD look better.  There should have been some improvements in certain areas.  About the best thing that's happened this preseason is that we know Kuzma has some serious game.  There is still a lot that can only be answered once Brook Lopez, Bogut and a more consistent rotation is in place but overall things are not looking good. 

I think the whole "we are gearing up for 2018" plan is also creating a panic lowkey.  If these guys look bad this year how does that effect their plan? 

Pre-season doesn't mean a lot to any team.  Totally different circumstances in all respects.

I have no idea why this lesson simply is ignored every damn season.

I've never said the Lakers will be good this coming season or anything like that.  But there has yet to be a pre-season for any team that is completely indicative of their performance during the regular season.

• Jackson and LACAS like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#47 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 02:15 PM

Every preseason is different but at some point the more experienced young players SHOULD look better.  There should have been some improvements in certain areas.  About the best thing that's happened this preseason is that we know Kuzma has some serious game.  There is still a lot that can only be answered once Brook Lopez, Bogut and a more consistent rotation is in place but overall things are not looking good. 

I think the whole "we are gearing up for 2018" plan is also creating a panic lowkey.  If these guys look bad this year how does that effect their plan? 

The new FO bet everything/tried to sell everyone on 2018 when they shouldn't have. They should've continued what Mitch and Jim were trying to do in building through the draft which was amassing young talented players and hoping they eventually become something. The current FO is repeating the same mistakes that Mitch and Jim made from 2013-2015.

#48 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,547 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted October 06, 2017 - 02:36 PM

Definitely

#49 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,288 posts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 02:45 PM

Everything about 2018 rest on the back of Lonzo and Ingram.  If they aren't the engine of the team then guys aren't going to be interested.  If Brook Lopez and guys like KCP are the reasons they win 40 games they are just getting swapped out anyway.  

Or they could have rode the young develop wave.  Until they sign Paul George and another quality player I'll die on the Lonzo, DLo, Ingram and whoever else that was a good young piece hill.  Looking at DLo in BKN him and Lonzo with Kuzma would be like peanut butter and jelly right now. 

• Jackson and LACAS like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#50 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 08:10 PM

Everything about 2018 rest on the back of Lonzo and Ingram. If they aren't the engine of the team then guys aren't going to be interested. If Brook Lopez and guys like KCP are the reasons they win 40 games they are just getting swapped out anyway.

Or they could have rode the young develop wave. Until they sign Paul George and another quality player I'll die on the Lonzo, DLo, Ingram and whoever else that was a good young piece hill. Looking at DLo in BKN him and Lonzo with Kuzma would be like peanut butter and jelly right now.

I've been secretly watching BKN games and I can say that DLO would've been fantastic besides Ball. He's going to be a sorely missed asset this season.

#51 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,078 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted October 07, 2017 - 12:11 AM

I've been secretly watching BKN games and I can say that DLO would've been fantastic besides Ball. He's going to be a sorely missed asset this season.

Well we got Kuzma and Lopez and dumped Mozgov. Im good with the trade
  • GCMD and LACAS like this

#52 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 07, 2017 - 12:33 AM

Well we got Kuzma and Lopez and dumped Mozgov. Im good with the trade

Easily prefer Kuzma and his fit to Lonzo over Russell.

Keeping Russell means we would have had to keep Mozgov...no-go for me.

Edited by GCMD, October 07, 2017 - 12:33 AM.

• LACAS likes this

tenor.gif

#53 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 07, 2017 - 03:57 AM

Watch us have to trade Kuzma to unload Deng

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#54 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 420 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted October 07, 2017 - 07:07 AM

There are some valuable basketball lessons to be learned from what we are witnessing from this year's Lakers. Valuable information with regards to team chemistry and how some talent complements itself and naturally meshes, and how sometimes it does the exact opposite. When you introduce a dynamic playmaker like Lonzo Ball to a new team and he immediately acts as a catalyst and makes everyone seem better - it becomes easy to assume that if you put Lonzo on a team with even better talent, NBA starting level talent, and that team will also become that much better. 

Not so. 

What worked at UCLA and also in Summer League was that Lonzo had a bunch of catch and shoot guys around him who knew their roles. They let Lonzo make the plays and set them up, and then hit wide open shots. Ironically, one of the Summer League guys who didn't is here in training camp (Vander Blue).Later in Summer League, Blue calmed down a bit and played within the offense and did much better. 

The Lakers starters are in a similar position as Blue in Summer League. They aren't taking advantage of Lonzo setting them up...instead they are ball stopping and trying to ISO in halfcourt, which is what they're used to doing. The biggest offenders are Randle, Ingram, Deng, and to some extent Clarkson. These guys need to learn how to play through Lonzo, and to some extent, Lonzo needs to start reining them in.

I think I'll simplify it for you brochacho:

The Lakers offensive sets are too complex for them and cherry picking doesn't work in the NBA. 

How many of those summer league points, and UCLA, and Chino Hills, came from an immediate outlet pass out to someone streaking down court? The conditioning of the players in the league is so good they can exert a full effort on offense and still sprint back down defensively. So No Lavar, the solution isn't more cherry picking.

I know that anything more than drawing a double team and kicking it out to an open man is too much for Lonzo to handle right now, but if all your running is that exact same play every time, every NBA team from the beginning of the season will adjust to it. 

The biggest thing they need to remember is to attack the rim, close out screens don't just stand there, and to stop hoisting up contested 3s as the shot clock is running down. I am so tired of seeing that [expletive]. Their better off letting the shot clock run out. Take it to the [expletive]ing rim, all of you.

Edited by dbtbandit67, October 07, 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#55 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 420 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted October 07, 2017 - 07:14 AM

D'angelo Russell is looking a lot better in Brooklyn, he looks like a competent NBA player now who is still horrible on defense but not for lack of effort anymore he's just genuinely that bad.

But being on the Lakers was a distraction for him, I don't think we'd see the same productivity from him that he's giving in Brooklyn as we would if he stayed on the Lakers. He's attacking the rim in Brooklyn. In LA he just kept chucking up shots.

#56 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,788 posts

Posted October 07, 2017 - 09:29 AM

Russell looks the same he did here just with slight improvements as he naturally progresses as a young player
  • BasketballIQ likes this
Posted Image

#57 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts

Posted October 07, 2017 - 11:23 AM

We probably would have been able to draft Kuzma even if we didn't get the 27th pick. We still had the 28th pick (which would mean no Hart or Bryant). If Kuzma was not on anyone's radar, then we possibly could have had Kuzma and one of Hart or Bryant. 

The main benefit of that trade was getting rid of Mozgov's contract. But if we fail to get Paul George in 2018 (well technically George AND LeBron which is Magic's plan which I doubt happens), the trade's value dips.

Of course if Brook Lopez stays healthy and contributes big, that plays a role in the long-term outlook of the trade as well. 

• Jackson likes this

#58 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 816 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5

Posted October 07, 2017 - 12:19 PM

exactly!!!

#59 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,288 posts

Posted October 07, 2017 - 12:41 PM

I disagree.  I think Kuzma is still there at 27 considering the Nets weren't going to draft another big and Kuzma was highly slept on.  I also still think Russell can be the 2nd best player in the 2015 draft and with Lonzo the fit would be better than anything we've seen now. 

• Jackson likes this

#60 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,248 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 07, 2017 - 01:53 PM

I'm certain Kuzma would still have been on the board at #28 when evaluating the Net's roster.  They likely would have prioritized drafting a guard in my opinion if they hadn't acquired Russell.

Lonzo, Russell, Ingram, Kuzma, and a big would have been something very fun to watch.  Decent amount of speed at the two forward positions, better perimeter spacing, and another player whom can create his own shot/for others.  The Russell/Ball combo will always be something I wish I could have witnessed considering their games would have meshed quite well.

It's evident that Lonzo needs capable shooters and scorers around him, Lopez will help, but Russell would have been nice long term.

• Jackson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users