Photo

WCF vs ECF disparity

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted September 30, 2017 - 12:48 PM

I know it's been mentioned a lot on these boards but this needs to be discussed as it's becoming a REAL problem.

The talent difference between the Western conference and the Eastern conference is ridiculous. I'm surprised the NBA board of governors did not talk about it.

Western Conference 1st tier:GSW, OKC, Spurs, Rockets,

Then 2nd tier teams like: Portland, Clips, Pelicans, Twolves.

Even 3rd tier teams like: Lakers, Utah, Suns will make some noise.

The 1st and 2nd tier teams would smother the 3-8 seeds from the Eastern conference and would really challenge the Cavs/Celtics. All the Western conference teams have a realistic chance of contending for a championship if the Warriors were not on steroids.

The NBA needs to switch over to a NFL-esque playoff system based on win totals. It's unfair that the West teams have to slug it out in the playoffs after 82 regular season games, and the East teams get to have a cake walk. I'm sure fans want to see the best teams challenge each other instead of sub-500 teams going at it.

Edited by Jackson, September 30, 2017 - 12:59 PM.

•     likes this

#2 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 30, 2017 - 01:03 PM

Big Whoop.

Lakers w shaq and kobe 2000-2002 went

4-2

4-1

4-0

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#3 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts

Posted September 30, 2017 - 01:13 PM

Big Whoop.

Lakers w shaq and kobe 2000-2002 went

4-2

4-1

4-0

What are you implying

#4 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts

Posted September 30, 2017 - 04:40 PM

What are you implying

I guess i'm saying I have no problem with conference imbalance.

And actually prefer it that the western conference is so much more stacked.

I watch basketball to see great players and good teams. Lakers play WC opponents way more than eastern opponents so i get to see a lot more games where Lakers are playing very good teams as opposed to teams with no one im interested in seeing.

Add in 3 rounds of WC playoffs of teams worth watching before the final round where the one or 2 good eastern teams await

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#5 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 2,196 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted October 01, 2017 - 12:52 PM

Think about the All-Star game, last year, Damian Lillard didn't even make the all star team in the West. This year the West has added Paul George, Carmelo Anthony, Jimmy Butler, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague, etc. Only All-Star the West lost was Gordon Hayward. West is going to be stacked this year. 

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#6 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 258 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 02, 2017 - 07:52 AM

The disparity is going to get even worse next season.

It's getting to the point where, if you are looking to restart your career and start fresh somewhere, getting offered a big deal from an eastern conference team is appealing. Let the West destroy each other and come out on top in the aftermath.

Edited by dbtbandit67, October 02, 2017 - 07:52 AM.

#7 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 03, 2017 - 11:12 AM

Lol they had to change the all star game

NBA announces new All-Star game format: No longer East vs. West. Two captains will pick teams without concern for conference.

#8 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 03:58 PM

Lol they had to change the all star game

NBA announces new All-Star game format: No longer East vs. West. Two captains will pick teams without concern for conference.

Bam. Superstar driven league and if the East stars are going to be steam rolled in the All star game to the point there needs to be a change, then so should the playoffs.

•     likes this

#9 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,839 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 04, 2017 - 12:15 PM

it should be the best 16 team records versus how it is right now

•     and Jackson like this

#10 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 12:36 PM

Maybe they could start by having Bulls and Pels switching conferences.

Maybe theres a couple others that make sense?

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#11 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 05, 2017 - 10:41 AM

Grizz

#12 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 01:56 PM

it should be the best 16 team records versus how it is right now

Trust me if this happens, I will watch every single NBA playoff game -- the same way NFL fans watch every single playoff football game.

Edited by Jackson, October 08, 2017 - 03:21 PM.

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#13 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts

Posted October 08, 2017 - 03:20 PM

NBA is now looking into it!

Adam Silver says that possibility of reseeding in playoffs depends on 'balanced schedule'

NBA commissioner Adam Silver acknowledges that the league will "continue to look at" the possibility of reseeding teams 1-16 in the playoffs, regardless of conference affiliation.

In the wake of changes to the All-Star Game earlier in the week, in which players will be selected by captains and will be selected in a pool of the 12 best East All-Stars and the 12 best West All-Stars, regardless of conference loyalties, Silver says the league will consider the playoff idea.

"Reformatting the playoffs is something we'll continue to look at," Silver said before a preseason game between the Golden State Warriors and the Minnesota Timberwolves at Mercedes Benz Arena. "I think though it would require revisiting the regular-season schedule as well. As I've said before, we don't play a balanced schedule now, as I'm sure you know. And for those that don't, that means that teams in the East play each other more than they play teams in the West. And our feeling is, if we were going to seed 1-16, we would need to play a balanced schedule to make it fair for everyone if we were going to seed 1-16 in the playoffs. It may be that as we continue to experiment with the number of days over which we can schedule 82 games that it will create more of an opportunity for a balanced schedule."

http://www.espn.com/...ayoff-reseeding

• FranklinPeanuts and bfc1125roy like this

#14 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,485 posts

Posted October 08, 2017 - 03:24 PM

It'll never happen. Every single Eastern Conference owner is going to vote against it.

#15 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 03:58 AM

Sounds to me like Silver is considering both the seeding, and maybe an increase in the amount of times east teams play west teams (at the expense of fewer within conference games)

I'm not sure how they would do that even taking travel out of the equation. 

I suppose you could play each team 3x and increase the number of games to 87 from 82?

Then the next season the team you play at home once the previous season you play twice at home the next?

But thats a huge switch.

Maybe theres a better way, but thats what came to my mind initially

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#16 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,761 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 11:33 AM

No way they increase the number of regular season games. If anything, there have been complaints of the 82 game regular season and players and some management wanting to shorten the season. 

I'm perfectly fine with keeping the conferences (at least initially) for the regular season to ease the traveling barriers, but they have to a #1-#16 format to make the Playoffs more competitive. 

#17 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,540 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted October 11, 2017 - 08:33 AM

NBA is now looking into it!

Adam Silver says that possibility of reseeding in playoffs depends on 'balanced schedule'

http://www.espn.com/...ayoff-reseeding

This is how it should be, LBJ gets to pick up easy wins against bottom feeders in the East. 

#18 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 794 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted Yesterday, 06:16 PM

This is how it should be, LBJ gets to pick up easy wins against bottom feeders in the East.

20 years from now ... “they had to change the playoff structure because Lebron was making it to the finalss too easily”

Edited by Rekal, Yesterday, 06:16 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users