#21 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,030 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 23, 2017 - 05:58 PM

RW was must see tv last year.

Now i'm looking forward to the team even more.

Spurs need to make a move or 2 imo to stay among league leaders, but they always over achieve so who knows

• Busty Bluth likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#22 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 23, 2017 - 05:59 PM

Not a huge fan of melo. NY had a lot of problems but he didn't make anything easier. Also he's very injury prone so we'll see how well that goes. This isn't the eastern conference where you can cruise to the playoffs. You need 45+ wins just for a 8th seed and I'm sure they will be shooting for a top 4 seed which will require over 50 wins. Melo just doesn't strike me as someone who is hungry to win. I think he was just sick of NY and wanted to go somewhere that could carry him. 

• Mr Terrific likes this

#23 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,541 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 23, 2017 - 06:21 PM

OKC is becoming the place to trade a disgruntled star.

Won't send them to their preferred destination so off to the Thunder. 

#24 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 23, 2017 - 06:47 PM

Not a huge fan of melo. NY had a lot of problems but he didn't make anything easier. Also he's very injury prone so we'll see how well that goes. This isn't the eastern conference where you can cruise to the playoffs. You need 45+ wins just for a 8th seed and I'm sure they will be shooting for a top 4 seed which will require over 50 wins. Melo just doesn't strike me as someone who is hungry to win. I think he was just sick of NY and wanted to go somewhere that could carry him. 

Carmelo Anthony is now the 3rd option on a roster and Paul George is the 2nd. 

Both places a lot of people feel they'd excel better at.  So I don't see much reason to assume that they won't thrive. 

I remember how those of us that wanted Carmelo with Kobe used the example of their chemistry on the Olympic team.   "Olympic Melo".  To be honest, that argument would be about as relevant now as then when it comes down to OKC's dynamic.  It will now be Melo shooting open shots from three instead of Oladipo, and it will be Paul George on the wing instead of Roberson.    They have a nice setup, up to them to see where they take it. 

• Busty Bluth and bfc1125roy like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#25 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,030 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 07:48 PM

20 more wins than lakers this year for comparison would be my guess

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#26 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,195 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 08:10 PM

I don't like this deal for OKC because it has "0" future planning. Melo is 33. What is realistic expectation from him?

fXlFKv8.gif

#27 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,540 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 23, 2017 - 09:22 PM

The Thunder really improved over the summer.

Last season their most used lineup (by far) were Westbrook, Oladipo, Roberson, Sabonis and Adams.

Imagine how much better their spacing will be now with George and Melo instead of Oladipo and Sabonis. Defensively, they can run out some pretty impressive lineups as well.

I dont think this has too great an effect on Paul George though.

#28 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,201 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted September 24, 2017 - 12:26 AM

congratulations westbrook

• Busty Bluth likes this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#29 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 24, 2017 - 09:10 AM

So 2nd round exit still? I think so. 

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#30 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,540 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted September 24, 2017 - 09:19 AM

So 2nd round exit still? I think so. 

Yeah, i agree.

I think they'll end up as the 4th seed, which means probably Utah or Clips in the first round and GS in the second.

#31 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts

Posted September 24, 2017 - 09:37 AM

Yeah, i agree.

I think they'll end up as the 4th seed, which means probably Utah or Clips in the first round and GS in the second.

I mean they traded for a punchers chance against GS, but only if their is injuries on GS do they actually have a chance. Other than that they are gonna have a 34 yr old Melo at the end of the year and not look enticing to George or Westbrook, but they had to take the shot. 

#32 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,117 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted September 24, 2017 - 10:31 AM

I don't like this deal for OKC because it has "0" future planning. Melo is 33. What is realistic expectation from him?

Keeping Enes Kanter whom would be making $17 million this year and $18 million next year would have been far worse.  They got rid of a productive role player on a relatively steep contract and replaced him with a very solid shooter/scorer that will help open the floor for Westbrook.  Melo also has another year on his deal following this season upwards of $27 million which is certainly an excess amount of cash for a guy of his age and caliber, but the Thunder seem as though they want to compete for a chip and build a competent roster that will influence Westbrook and PG13 to stay.

At the end of the day, if the Thunder can get George and Westbrook to commit longterm following this season, they're future is pretty set in stone.  

• Busty Bluth and Jackson like this

#33 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted September 24, 2017 - 10:44 AM

Keeping Enes Kanter whom would be making $17 million this year and $18 million next year would have been far worse.  They got rid of a productive role player on a relatively steep contract and replaced him with a very solid shooter/scorer that will help open the floor for Westbrook.  Melo also has another year on his deal following this season upwards of $27 million which is certainly an excess amount of cash for a guy of his age and caliber, but the Thunder seem as though they want to compete for a chip and build a competent roster that will influence Westbrook and PG13 to stay.

At the end of the day, if the Thunder can get George and Westbrook to commit longterm following this season, they're future is pretty set in stone.  

Don't forget the high 2nd rounder that they will be getting from the Bulls.

#34 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,783 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted September 25, 2017 - 05:53 AM

Melo wants a chip and I think he has a shot at it if those three manage to share the spotlight and the ball. It's gonna be very hard though .. 

#35 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted September 25, 2017 - 08:16 AM

If they play like a team then anything is possible

ap1.png

#36 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,230 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted September 25, 2017 - 09:09 AM

They ll be the 2 second best team in the West.
  • bfc1125roy likes this

#37 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 08:26 AM

That's a mighty big IF. Westbrook has recently come out and said OKC is where he wants to be, but has yet to touch the pen to sign that huge extension. If you ask me that does not bode well. He wants to see what George is going to do, and how good Melo makes this team. This team will most likely have some growing pains, and they need to get it together fast to sway Westbrook to sign on the dotted line.

#38 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,030 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 12:22 PM

OKC, if they can, should try and get PG and RW to sign ON THE SAME DAY AND AT THE SAME TIME whenever they do.

If they do.

It would be a huge F you to KD and announce to the NBA OKC means business again for the next few years 

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#39 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 26, 2017 - 03:01 PM

While he continues to compete for rings and likely win this year

OKC, if they can, should try and get PG and RW to sign ON THE SAME DAY AND AT THE SAME TIME whenever they do.

If they do.

It would be a huge F you to KD and announce to the NBA OKC means business again for the next few years 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#40 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 26, 2017 - 04:39 PM

I believe this team is easily better than the Spurs.  Spurs record will likely be better but they just brought back a 37 year old Pau and didn't resign Dedmon.  That front line is shot the [expletive] out. 

I don't see why some people are hating on this trade, it's a great deal for OKC and in my opinion Melo is almost an ideal fit.

We all know that the biggest issue with the Thunder was there lack of consistent perimeter offensive output.  Now with guys like Paul George, Melo, and even Patrick Patterson towards an extent, they have a well balanced offensive approach.

Melo, albeit a donut on the defensive end, is still a very great shooter/scorer and will thrive playing off of PG and Westbrook.

I expect them to either be the 3rd of 4th best team in the West.  They may even steal that 2nd seed from the Spurs considering the decline in Aldridge's performance.  I like the deal for OKC, but hate it as a Laker fan cause who knows, it may change Paul George's mind.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users