#1 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,783 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 20, 2017 - 01:04 PM

How's it going fellas ? Any OG fans who remember this game ? I've been a Lakerfan all my sentient life and I've never seen or heard of this game, besides the miraculous tip in of Kobe to tie the game at 90. This is '99, Kobe's third year. The Lakers are down BIG going in the 4th quarter. To top all that, Shaq gets into an altercation and gets ejected in the 3rd. This sets the table for a great comeback by the purple and gold. The Lakers are known for some tough comebacks, but this is one of the most satisfying to watch. Young baby 'fro Kobe goes off in the 4th, scoring tough 3's AND playing defense. Other guys join the party as well - Glen Rice, Robert Horry and even a rookie Tyron Lue score some clutch baskets. Oh yeah and a guy called MJ watches from the stand. Crazy game for sure. This may not be appropriate for its own thread, but mods please let that one slide OK ? :D Enjoy the vid

• Olabebeh likes this

#2 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,548 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted September 20, 2017 - 01:58 PM

Yeah. I remember. I also remember how I used to cringe every time Glen Rice shot a three.

#3 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 20, 2017 - 03:26 PM

Cringe? Glen Rice was considered an elite shooter at that time.  He didn't fit long term though. 

Yeah. I remember. I also remember how I used to cringe every time Glen Rice shot a three.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#4 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,548 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 03:38 PM

Cringe? Glen Rice was considered an elite shooter at that time.  He didn't fit long term though. 

Yes. Cringed. He was an elite shooter but just remember the bricks he shot as a Laker and thinking where was the real Glen Rice.

• pkflyers and Busty Bluth like this

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 20, 2017 - 03:39 PM

I guess.  Numbers show he was pretty productive as a Laker.  Long term he wouldn't have fit as the 3rd wheel though.  

Yes. Cringed. He was an elite shooter but just remember the bricks he shot as a Laker and thinking where was the real Glen Rice.

• MaceWindu likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#6 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 20, 2017 - 04:16 PM

I cant recall a good 3rd wheel in laker history that lasted more than a couple seasons.

Odom maybe comes closest? (Worthy seemed over qualified for 3rd wheel status but i guess he was one too)

I liked Rice back then but he was on decline for sure

Edited by kball, September 20, 2017 - 04:17 PM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#7 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,548 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 04:52 PM

I forgot JR Reed was on the team. hahaha

#8 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,431 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 21, 2017 - 06:35 AM

Yes, I remember the game.  Also remember that I did not watch it.  IIRC, it was a weekday game, like a Tuesday night.

That 1999 season was a such a mess.  Lakers were considered the favorites to win it all.  50 game season.  Felt like they were playing nearly every day. Then, we added Rice (and Reid) in a swap for Eddie Jones/Elden Campbell.   I remember we had a handful of Sunday afternoon games on NBC where we played awful then Kobe would play amazing and we'd lose close at the end.  (One against Indiana stands out. Reggie Miller tried to come up and console Kobe on the loss/great effort, and Kobe didn't want to talk to him).

Lakers fired Del Harris in like the first 2-3 weeks of the season.  He cried. Said he had dedicated the season to his parents, both of whom had died in the off-season.   Ouch.

Rambis did okay, but I don't think Shaq ever respected him.  He fell in Love with Lue, presumably because he played hard.  I remember Shaq coming off the court once (perhaps in the play-offs) and yelling at Rambis to put Fisher back in the game.

We signed Rodman just after we hired Rambis.  Buss apparently made the deal as West was reluctant.  Rodman joins the team and we win 10 straight (2 against the Clippers).  It seemed like good times were here.  Then, within a couple of weeks, the Lakers put Rodman on waivers.  He shows up to practice without his shoes - says he can't find them.

Another weird deal with Rodman.  He and Carmen Electra announced their separation/divorce during the season.  Watching/listening to Peter Vescey report details of their final rendezvous at a Los Angeles hotel on live TV made everyone's skin crawl.

Kobe almost single-handedly beat the Rockets in the first round.  He made Scottie Pippen look old. 

Round 2, it looked like Lakers might steal game 2 in the Alamo Dome.  Kobe made a huge 3 with under a minute left.  Spurs scored, then fouled Kobe, who missed 2 free throws.  Another ouch.

Spurs swept LA and closed the Forum.  (Fitting that the Lakers closed the Alamo Dome 3 years later). 

Season over.  Enter Phil.   Rest=History

• Busty Bluth and lakerfan98 like this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#9 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 21, 2017 - 07:18 AM

Yes, I remember the game.  Also remember that I did not watch it.  IIRC, it was a weekday game, like a Tuesday night.

That 1999 season was a such a mess.  Lakers were considered the favorites to win it all.  50 game season.  Felt like they were playing nearly every day. Then, we added Rice (and Reid) in a swap for Eddie Jones/Elden Campbell.   I remember we had a handful of Sunday afternoon games on NBC where we played awful then Kobe would play amazing and we'd lose close at the end.  (One against Indiana stands out. Reggie Miller tried to come up and console Kobe on the loss/great effort, and Kobe didn't want to talk to him).

Lakers fired Del Harris in like the first 2-3 weeks of the season.  He cried. Said he had dedicated the season to his parents, both of whom had died in the off-season.   Ouch.

Rambis did okay, but I don't think Shaq ever respected him.  He fell in Love with Lue, presumably because he played hard.  I remember Shaq coming off the court once (perhaps in the play-offs) and yelling at Rambis to put Fisher back in the game.

We signed Rodman just after we hired Rambis.  Buss apparently made the deal as West was reluctant.  Rodman joins the team and we win 10 straight (2 against the Clippers).  It seemed like good times were here.  Then, within a couple of weeks, the Lakers put Rodman on waivers.  He shows up to practice without his shoes - says he can't find them.

Another weird deal with Rodman.  He and Carmen Electra announced their separation/divorce during the season.  Watching/listening to Peter Vescey report details of their final rendezvous at a Los Angeles hotel on live TV made everyone's skin crawl.

Kobe almost single-handedly beat the Rockets in the first round.  He made Scottie Pippen look old. 

Round 2, it looked like Lakers might steal game 2 in the Alamo Dome.  Kobe made a huge 3 with under a minute left.  Spurs scored, then fouled Kobe, who missed 2 free throws.  Another ouch.

Spurs swept LA and closed the Forum.  (Fitting that the Lakers closed the Alamo Dome 3 years later). 

Season over.  Enter Phil.   Rest=History

Thankfully Rodman got his $#!t together since then.

*cough*

Edited by kball, September 21, 2017 - 07:19 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#10 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,897 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted September 21, 2017 - 10:57 AM

I definitely remember this game. Watched it on KCAL. Iconic Kobe game. Definitely a glimpse into the future after Shaq. Didn’t Kobe have some good games with Jordan watching?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#11 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted September 22, 2017 - 05:48 AM

sure do!  lakers were fun to watch those years leading into the 2000 championship

Posted Image

#12 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,509 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted September 22, 2017 - 06:41 PM

I was still pissed that Eddie got traded. Rice had a rocky start with the team and that didn't help matters. To boot Golden State was a doormat, and they were killing is in the first half...I think it was some guy named Bimbo Coles doing a lot of the damage. 

Kobe coming through at the end was great, but the game shouldn't have been close.

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users