82 replies to this topic

#41 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 20, 2017 - 11:10 AM

After Summer League I'm not a fan of Zubac going forward and T Bryant is still too green.  If Bogut manages to give the team 60 games around 15-20mpg it's a win

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#42 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,117 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 20, 2017 - 11:29 AM

I like the Bogut signing.

However, if Zubac has shown some major flaws and minimal growth since last season, I think it's time the Lakers make an attempt to cash in on his potential and flip him for a pick or if some miraculous scenario where he can be dumped with Deng.  I was a fan of Zubac, but the guy was completely out of shape and form in Summer League.  He has lots of finesse for a big man, but he's not the type of guy that will flourish in this current system and with Lonzo.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, September 20, 2017 - 11:30 AM.

• GCMD likes this

#43 LAkerFan85

LAkerFan85

Rookie

• 235 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted September 20, 2017 - 11:47 AM

Ivica......Zu-bust ?

How can he be a bust? Wasn't he a second round pick? It's only going to be his second year in the league

• MaceWindu likes this

#44 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,548 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted September 20, 2017 - 11:56 AM

How can he be a bust? Wasn't he a second round pick? It's only going to be his second year in the league

hahaha. People complaining for the sake of complaining or getting a kick off being passive aggressive.

• Rekal likes this

#45 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 20, 2017 - 12:03 PM

only question is how long can he stay healthy...

either way, i'm all for having cheap veterans on a young team, even if they're not playing.  

Posted Image

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 04:30 PM

I don't see anybody giving up anything of significance for Zubac right now.  He's a fan favorite no doubt but he's done nothing outside of be that.  

I like the Bogut signing.

However, if Zubac has shown some major flaws and minimal growth since last season, I think it's time the Lakers make an attempt to cash in on his potential and flip him for a pick or if some miraculous scenario where he can be dumped with Deng.  I was a fan of Zubac, but the guy was completely out of shape and form in Summer League.  He has lots of finesse for a big man, but he's not the type of guy that will flourish in this current system and with Lonzo.

• LakeShow1o1 likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#47 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 20, 2017 - 07:09 PM

I think Zu will be a fine player.

Who cares if its not by tomorrow.

Folks always too impatient around here, even with late draft choices making peanuts.

Wake up and let guys develop when it matters. Not summer league

He should get lots of chances with Boguts injury history.

Edited by kball, September 20, 2017 - 07:10 PM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#48 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted September 20, 2017 - 09:17 PM

I don't see anybody giving up anything of significance for Zubac right now.  He's a fan favorite no doubt but he's done nothing outside of be that.  

I like Zubac but given the current depth we have in the front court - Randle, Deng, Nance, Kuzma, Lopez, Bogut, Zu and Bryant its hard to see him getting all that many minutes. Not all that impressed with him at summer league either, but its summer league so who cares.

I would use him as leverage to move Clarkson for an expiring deal. Clarkson + Zubac to Atlanta for Marco Belinelli's expiring contract. I know Laker fans belive Clarkson can get back a pick or something, but his value really isn't high around the league. Moving those two gives us all the leverage we need next summer in terms of cap space.

#49 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,212 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted September 21, 2017 - 02:40 AM

Zubac is a young 2nd round center entering his 2nd year. Have patience with him. I'll be satisfied if he just shows some improvement from his rookie season.

#50 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 794 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted September 21, 2017 - 02:56 AM

Exactly

#51 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 07:03 AM

I think Zubac can be a good player but I think people think he has Marc Gasol potential based on a few aesthetic similarities.  Zubac has real limitations that will likely always be there.  I've suggested this some time ago and guys scoffed at it.  He's going to be a good offensive big with serious defensive limitations when teams force him to defend in space. 

I know some people think "small ball" is a fad but bigs are becoming more versatile by the year.  If Zubac can't step out on the perimeter, switch on to a wing and not get killed everytime he's never going to be a full time starter unless we have other players that can do so. 

Even still he'd be limited.  As good as Bogut was at rim protecting he could only give them 20-24 minutes MAX. 

#52 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,918 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 21, 2017 - 09:47 AM

I think this is less about Zubac being bad and more about him not being ready.

If Zubac is moved, I seriously doubt we move him with Clarkson.  More likely for a late pick.  Little moves to add assets.  That will give us more options to make the other moves we need to make.

tenor.gif

#53 Magic Chiongson

Magic Chiongson

Rookie

• 192 posts
  • Fan Since:I was a Laker fan before a Kobe fan
  • Fav. Laker:Buck, Diesel,Big Game James

Posted September 21, 2017 - 10:47 AM

Zubac was a early 2nd round pic (32) but the previous lakers fo didn't see him as a 2nd rounder if you recall zubac stock dropped noticeably as he was projected to go as high as 12-20 1st round that is why he was sitting in the green room with his family.Maybe other gm's around the league knew something mitch and jim didn't know about zubac and yet they were thrilled getting him at 32 as if he was a steal.Fan favorite or not zubac best shape up or ship out don't matter his 2nd year or not look at d'lo. This is a knew era for lakers youth as well as their new regime and we tryna win now...go lakers!

#54 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,918 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:02 AM

Zubac was a early 2nd round pic (32) but the previous lakers fo didn't see him as a 2nd rounder if you recall zubac stock dropped noticeably as he was projected to go as high as 12-20 1st round that is why he was sitting in the green room with his family.Maybe other gm's around the league knew something mitch and jim didn't know about zubac and yet they were thrilled getting him at 32 as if he was a steal.Fan favorite or not zubac best shape up or ship out don't matter his 2nd year or not look at d'lo. This is a knew era for lakers youth as well as their new regime and we tryna win now...go lakers!

Zubac is the same age as Ingram.

Post players take a little longer to develop than perimeter players...body has to fully mature.  You can see that Zubac still has baby fat on him.  Until his body completely fills out, he will struggle because he's not a great athlete.  Needs another year of weightlifting and cardio.  

Once Zubac resculpts his body, he's going to be a beast.  He's already a very skilled player.  Good passer, good post moves, good basketball IQ.  He just needs to focus on getting stronger and his footwork.

All that said, hardwork is a skill also.  If he doesn't have the desire to put in the work, he won't be a serviceable NBA player.  No reason to believe he won't...at least, not yet.

tenor.gif

#55 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:03 AM

I think this is less about Zubac being bad and more about him not being ready.

If Zubac is moved, I seriously doubt we move him with Clarkson.  More likely for a late pick.  Little moves to add assets.  That will give us more options to make the other moves we need to make.

I agree with the first part. Zubac is still young and has upside, but will he reach that upside - or does he get the chance to show it - before he's up for an extension? I'm not so sure about that.

Right now the only move we NEED to make is to shed Clarkson and if we can use Zubac to get that done and maybe get back an expiring player that isn't complete crap, then i think that's the right move.

#56 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,540 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:21 AM

We as a fanbase have the tendency to overhype younger players. Ebanks, Goudelock ("Mini Mamba"), Sacre, Upshaw etc. Zubac may turn into a serviceable big but we can't depend on that. Even if Bogut gives us 30 games it's a good signing. And he can tutor the other bigs on some defensive stuff (e.g. Lopez, Bryant, Zubac...) 

Edited by bfc1125roy, September 21, 2017 - 11:22 AM.

#57 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,200 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted September 21, 2017 - 01:24 PM

you always screw european guys

i seriously hate that on some american sports fans because sometimes they are sooooooooooooooo naive!!!

Just give this kid a chance.. zubac is still sooo [expletive]ing young!! MY GOD DAMN...

• GCMD likes this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#58 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 05:42 PM

Stop crying. Plenty of europeans excelling at the NBA level.  Zubac just isn't one of them.  If he gets better he can shut us up.  Europeans dont have [expletive] to cry about anyway.  

you always screw european guys

i seriously hate that on some american sports fans because sometimes they are sooooooooooooooo naive!!!

Just give this kid a chance.. zubac is still sooo [expletive]ing young!! MY GOD DAMN...

#59 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 21, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Europe faces more terrorism and poverty ( in some parts) than America

#60 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 10:00 PM

Europeans dont have [expletive] to cry about anyway.  

Not sure what exactly you mean by that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users