#1 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 763 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 29, 2017 - 12:46 AM

"“That trade from the Lakers basically ended my career and purpose,” Odom told The Vertical. “I was never really myself ever again. Being in L.A., the structure, the people I knew, it hurt leaving. I had great memories with the Lakers, with Kobe and Pau. That was a special time in my life.

“I got traded the season after we lost to Dallas in the playoffs, and I had won Sixth Man of the Year for the team. To trade me after winning Sixth Man of the Year … what else do I got to do? Why?

“I think about it all the time, about how much I had left in the tank. I had issues going on. But barring injury, could I play in the NBA today? I could play. I should still be playing.”

Odom has been public about his issues with drug use, and he makes it clear that he’s blessed to still be living. He had a life-threatening drug overdose in a Las Vegas brothel in October 2015, when he suffered multiple strokes, kidney failure and was in a coma and on life support. Odom recently sat inside Sista Mary’s Soul Food, a restaurant he co-owns with his longtime friend, business partner and confidant Greg Nunn, and made it clear his priorities are his son and daughter now.

At some point, Odom will come full circle in Los Angeles, with plans being discussed for him to sign a contract to retire as a Laker in training camp.

“My family looks forward to me retiring as a Laker more than me,” Odom told The Vertical. “I’m not really emotional about being praised, about signing for a day. I’m shy at the end of the day. For my son, for my family, for my fans, they may enjoy that day. It’s for them.

https://www.yahoo.co...-222723332.html
  • Mr Terrific and DanishLakerFan like this

#2 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,674 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted August 29, 2017 - 04:46 AM

I'm not against the Lakers signing him and letting him retire....but the way he represents what happened to him is not quite true.

Lamar did get traded, but the trade was voided by Stern. He was a Laker again. He then threw a hissy fit and forced Mitch to trade him to Dallas for next to nothing (a trade exception). The last part didn't have to happen, and there were no winners in that deal. Lamar was never the same...but there were indications that he wasn't the same even before the trade.

• UKUGA likes this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#3 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,242 posts

Posted August 29, 2017 - 06:43 AM

*facepalm*

fXlFKv8.gif

#4 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,674 posts

Posted August 29, 2017 - 07:06 AM

*facepalm*

Hmm, was something I said not accurate? Do you remember things differently than I do?

pkray.png

#5 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,242 posts

Posted August 29, 2017 - 08:16 PM

Hmm, was something I said not accurate? Do you remember things differently than I do?

It was directed at the story, not you since I have not quoted your post.

fXlFKv8.gif

#6 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,674 posts

Posted August 29, 2017 - 09:33 PM

It was directed at the story, not you since I have not quoted your post.

Gotcha. It wasn't clear.

pkray.png

#7 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,554 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted August 30, 2017 - 08:57 AM

I remember Plaschke writing a story about how Lamar played badly every Sunday night, once "Khloe & Lamar" premiered.   That Kardashian mess was not helpful to him. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#8 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,183 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 30, 2017 - 12:54 PM

I remember Plaschke writing a story about how Lamar played badly every Sunday night, once "Khloe & Lamar" premiered.   That Kardashian mess was not helpful to him. 

I believe he recently said that when we traded him it was the down fall for him. He took it too personal. 

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#9 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,344 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted August 30, 2017 - 07:27 PM

Actually the downfall for Lakers too if you want to be fair

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#10 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,305 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 31, 2017 - 04:03 AM

The downfall of the Lakers began when the great Dr. Bus passed...

That said we are on our way back...

Bring back LO for a day and let him retire a Laker... seems like the right thing.

#11 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 980 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted August 31, 2017 - 08:55 PM

Does anyone believe he can still ball ? (Not that I or the Lakers should be interested)

#12 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 763 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 01:27 AM

Yes and no

Yes he can play for big 3
No he can't handle full regular season (82 games )

I love to bring him back for 1 game only for 5 min playing time (if we are winning by 30)

#13 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 394 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted September 29, 2017 - 07:20 AM

The attempted trade absolutely demoralized Odom and Gasol, which was really unprofessional of both of them.

You both are still getting paid $15M+ per season. If you are so asshurt over an attempted trade that it makes you intentionally under perform, act like a professional and tell your head coach and the GM that you want out, and you want out now. It's unfair to all of us that we are going to work to pay for our expensive Time Warner Spectrum to watch the Lakers yet the players are not giving the game their best effort and their still collecting paychecks. Look at Brandon Ingram. Jeanie and Magic wanted to trade him for Demarcus Cousins. That didn't pan out. Instead of throwing some juvenille pissy fit, he has been working his ass off over the offseason, has gone through another growth spurt, improved his jump shot, improved his game, and we now probably won't trade him for anyone in the league and if he puts up 20+ ppg this season he's due for a nice payday.

I'd absolutely be in favor of having some sort of "Odom Day" or something for him, but this locker room has already let being a Laker get to their head (even though their still losers as of right now), do you really want Lamar Odom introducing drugs to Jordan Clarkson, Lonzo Ball, and Julius Randle?

Edited by dbtbandit67, September 29, 2017 - 07:20 AM.

#14 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,344 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 29, 2017 - 07:35 AM

More worried about kardashians than drugs

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#15 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 980 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted September 29, 2017 - 10:03 AM

The attempted trade absolutely demoralized Odom and Gasol, which was really unprofessional of both of them.

You both are still getting paid $15M+ per season. If you are so asshurt over an attempted trade that it makes you intentionally under perform, act like a professional and tell your head coach and the GM that you want out, and you want out now. It's unfair to all of us that we are going to work to pay for our expensive Time Warner Spectrum to watch the Lakers yet the players are not giving the game their best effort and their still collecting paychecks. Look at Brandon Ingram. Jeanie and Magic wanted to trade him for Demarcus Cousins. That didn't pan out. Instead of throwing some juvenille pissy fit, he has been working his ass off over the offseason, has gone through another growth spurt, improved his jump shot, improved his game, and we now probably won't trade him for anyone in the league and if he puts up 20+ ppg this season he's due for a nice payday.

BI is still very unproven.
He was lackluster his first season has only done well in 1 summer league game.
Odom was a different dude. He needed structure and reassurance to keep him on the straight and narrow as a lot of addicts do.
BI is a young kid ... new to the league, new relationship ... not too attached.
Odom was struggling with emotions and his only foundation was NBA a career. When that started to not go as planned I figured he let his addiction / depression take over

#16 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 763 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 12:04 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users