562 replies to this topic

#61 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,609 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 20, 2017 - 01:45 PM

You try hard to keep Ingram. Reason being, we don't want to sacrifice a potential all star unless we really have to. Could come back to bite us in the ass. Cavs made that same mistake years ago trading Wiggins for Love, a guy they could quite frankly use right now. 

However if it really comes down to it, yes you trade Ingram in an S&T for LeBron. But I wouldn't until all other options are exhausted, or he plays like garbage this year.

Edited by bfc1125roy, July 20, 2017 - 01:45 PM.

• UKUGA likes this

#62 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,729 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 20, 2017 - 04:23 PM

I would not give ingram to the man who mastermind the CP3 trade decline. He can take s&t for randle clarkson and a future pick

Edited by Miggs, July 20, 2017 - 04:24 PM.

"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#63 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,589 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 20, 2017 - 04:36 PM

Adam,

You didn't follow much of what was said. 

It's possible i missed some stuff. 

Pretty much everybody understands that Ingram cannot be traded for Lebron straight-up.  Ingram would be a (center-)piece of the deal. 

My contention with this is trading ingram. doesn't matter what pieces are involved. Lebron will be a free agent next year. absolutely no need to trade him when we can sign him and keep a future all-star. 

And again, you don't trade Ingram away if you have cap room.  I think everyone gets that.  And it keeps being said over and over, yet people keep feeling the need to point it out.

What you do consider, however, is trading Ingram if you have other guys coming on board, and hence, your cap room gets used up.

tbh i keep seeing ingram-lbj without any mention of cap space so yeah, i can see why we keep repeating ourselves. also, this makes it seem like ingram is being used for salary cap relief which is beyond dumb. almost impossible to get a player with his upside and production for less than 6 million through 2020. ingram would be the last piece used to make some room, even if we have bonafide all-stars and superstars trying to sign with us. 

Whether that is trading Ingram in a deal for Lebron, or for Cousins, or for George, or for Wall, it doesn't matter.    Even if you free up cap room to sign 2 max players, if a third guy wants to come and your only option is a sign and trade, then Ingram is on the table. 

in a vacuum this makes sense but the reality is no where close to that. Lebron, cousins, George, and Westbrook haven't signed their extensions yet and will all be free agents next year. you could say that one of those players would rather be in a sign and trade so we get their bird rights but no combination of players is worth giving up ingram to get their bird rights. if they want to form that superteam and win in LA, they can't have their cake and eat it too. and if you're going to pick up three all stars from free agency, wouldn't you rather, and wouldn't they also want to play with a fourth all-star in ingram? he's not there yet but the writing is on the wall. it's only a matter of time now. finally, if a third guy comes, how/why would our only option be a sign and trade? do a sign and trade to go over our cap? why not have those three guys take a small paycut to form that superteam like every other super team has done, to get em all in. cap is going up and if we can lose clarkson, deng, that's an additional 28-30 million. 

Especially if you are talking about Lebron being one of the pieces.  

If is 100% fathomable that a player (through his agent) communicates to LA a willingness to sign with them, if they acquire (whether through a sign and trade, or signing a player outright) certain other players.  This stuff happens pretty regularly.  It's complicated, which is why it doesn't happen all the time, but it's still discussed.

agreed

Even though the history gets distorted, some of you will remember that part of Carmelo's interest in signing with LA, was the prospect that Lebron would come, too.  Lebron, though, didn't take a meeting.   Melo re-signed with the Knicks.

yeah

You do what it takes to bring in the best talent available.  true

The principle is the same - if you have a chance to former a super-team, you can sacrifice Ingram.  If you don't have to, then you don't.   But, if it comes down to getting to player #3 (or #4) and we need to do a S&T to bring him in, I personally think it is foolish to hold onto Ingram if he can be turned into Lebron, or Cousins, or George, or Wall - especially if it means those other guys back away because we don't pull it together.    We need to quit pretending like Ingram is something he is not.  If he becomes what some of you are making him out to be in this thread, then we probably don't have to worry about George.  And presumably, Lebron and everyone else would see this.  But, so far, he's a guy who played one ho-hum season.   

Plus, don't forget about Ball.  He's the real prize and attraction here, at this point.

And one aside, and people forget this, but Miami did sign and trade for Lebron - they just didn't send back any real talent.   When push came to shove, in order to put that team together, they did have to give up some assets.   Could they have signed both Bosh and James in free agency?   Yes, they could.   Were players willing to take paycuts?  Yes, they were.   But, at the end of the day, in order to pull it all together, Miami needed to make a trade.    

http://www.nba.com/c...ade_100710.html

"The Cleveland Cavaliers agreed to a sign-and-trade deal with the Miami Heat to acquire the rights to five future draft picks and receive a traded player exception for free-agent forward LeBron James, Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant announced today. Per team and league policy, terms of the contract were not released.

If we can put together a team of Lebron/Cousins/George along with Ball or Ingram, I think it's silly to be afraid of sacrificing one of those last two.

We have been terrible.   Two of our 4 lotto picks have underwhelmed by almost any measure, and yet, some are afraid of trading the third one - the #2 pick in a weak draft - for the greatest player of all-time.   Have fun with that.  

• kball likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#64 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,768 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted July 20, 2017 - 05:24 PM

I was discussing this with my son. Both of us quickly agreed that we do not want LeBron to join the Lakers. Let's get back on top by building our own talent. We don't need LeBron or to be a prop in his agenda. 

Edited by kray28, July 20, 2017 - 06:09 PM.

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#65 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,589 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 20, 2017 - 05:45 PM

or to be prop in his agenda.

That would be my biggest concern.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#66 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,710 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 20, 2017 - 09:01 PM

I was discussing this with my son. Both of us quickly agreed that we do not want LeBron to join the Lakers. Let's get back on top by building our own talent. We don't need LeBron or to be a prop in his agenda. 

That would be like any fans dream (I would be 100% on board), but also the long road to success, and seems to me that this FO doesn't want to go that way. I mean, D-Lo's trade painted a pretty clear picture of what they want and how they want to get there.

#67 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,715 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 20, 2017 - 10:21 PM

That would be like any fans dream (I would be 100% on board), but also the long road to success, and seems to me that this FO doesn't want to go that way. I mean, D-Lo's trade painted a pretty clear picture of what they want and how they want to get there.

Adding Lebron would be fantastic, but if we could add Boogie, George and keep KCP or Randle that would be even better.

#68 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 20, 2017 - 10:25 PM

Adding Lebron would be fantastic, but if we could add Boogie, George and keep KCP or Randle that would be even better.

Adding one of those 3 is a long shot, now imagine adding all three.

Lakers fans should not go down this path again and should just trust the process and watch our youth develop. The process is all we got.
  • LACAS likes this

#69 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,715 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 20, 2017 - 11:04 PM

Lakers fans should not go down this path again and should just trust the process and watch our youth develop. The process is all we got.

I think its probably going to be all or nothing. 

We obviously dont know what George, Lebron, Boogie, Westbrook etc. will do, but i'm sure Pelinka will have a pretty good idea right now since he's talked to some of the agents that represent these guys. And all it takes is one of these guys for some of the other guys to follow.

Say Paul George isn't interested in re-signing with the Thunder, which seems more than likely, i think the Lakers is a very good landing spot for him given the team, market, flexibility and assets we have. And of course because he's expressed a desire to be in LA.

Now, if he's the first domino to fall i think LA suddently becomes VERY interesting for the other guys.

• UKUGA likes this

#70 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,710 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 12:49 AM

I feel exactly the same way as you, but the decision has been made by Magic and Rob. They are going all or nothing in the 2018 FA, and if the result is nothing, they will try again in 2019. There's nothing we can do to change that.

#71 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 21, 2017 - 05:42 AM

There is nothing better than adding Bron. Bron is far better than every player in the NBA except for MAYBE KD.

Even if Bron declines during his contract, he's gonna give you all star numbers. I could see a declining LeBron putting up 18 8 10 type numbers when he's not the number 1 scoring option anymore.
  • GCMD and LACAS like this

#72 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 323 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong

Posted July 21, 2017 - 05:52 AM

I will take a free agent LeBron anyday. But i will not give up any of our young core for him for him. I does not make sense what so ever. Lets just keep our eyes open for any free agent who will like to join the band. 

#73 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 21, 2017 - 05:55 AM

I will take a free agent LeBron anyday. But i will not give up any of our young core for him for him. I does not make sense what so ever. Lets just keep our eyes open for any free agent who will like to join the band.

Why are we discussing trading for Bron? There is absolutely no way Cleveland would trade Bron to begin with.
  • LACAS likes this

#74 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,287 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 21, 2017 - 06:41 AM

Yep a team that's 4 years into the lottery doesn't need great basketball players

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#75 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,546 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted July 21, 2017 - 12:02 PM

Is Ingram Randle and Clarkson enough to trade for lebron?

#76 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,710 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 12:25 PM

WTF????5f82bc498c02e4e9ea87418f2454abf5.jpg
  • Jackson likes this

#77 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,272 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 21, 2017 - 01:23 PM

WTF????5f82bc498c02e4e9ea87418f2454abf5.jpg

welp.. can we get kyrie? not lebron...

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#78 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,063 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted July 21, 2017 - 01:29 PM

You wouldn't want to add the best player in the game (James) to a developing team while losing NOTHING towards that same development or assets to the team?  I am truly baffled at how a misguided dislike for a player can totally skew some fans' want to win.

It's insane.

• GCMD,     and Julien like this

#79 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,710 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 01:29 PM

Kyrie is not for LA right now

#80 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,768 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted July 21, 2017 - 02:13 PM

Yep a team that's 4 years into the lottery doesn't need great basketball players

It doesn't need great basketball players that are on their last legs, will eat up a max slot, and also force the Lakers to potentially miss out on younger prospects who need growth and development.

Even if you add LeBron and PG13 in a stacked West, I don't think that team gets past the Warriors.

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users