• Please log in to reply
562 replies to this topic

#521 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 18, 2017 - 11:12 PM

I love Boogie but he has a point.  He's talented enough to get buckets on offense but a team based around a high usage volume scoring big that isn't extremely efficient is normally not very good.  Being able to create your own offense as a big is a luxury but for the team to perform at a high level great and easy buckets should be created for them.  Boogie has avg nearly 4 TOs a game in his entire career.  That's pretty poor as a C. Dwight in wasn't far behind him but in his highest TO years he played much more minutes than Boogie did.  One season Boogie avg 30mpg and avg like 3.9 TOs lol.  

I haven't seen enough good from Luke and his staff to suggest that Boogie could be harnessed correctly here.  Only with Lebron would I trust it.  Maybe Paul George but that would mean Lonzo would have to have a huge leap as a player.  

We haven't even touched on his deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball. 

Thank you...you said everything I was trying to say...but better.

It disturbing that I can't disagree with a player's fit anymore without someone saying I have a personal grudge against him.

Cousins can be a bad fit no matter what I think of him.  People should just look at the merits of the point and stop attacking the poster to discern his "motives".  You can't have meaningful discussion like that.

Alvin Gentry is running a similar offense with more established role players and BETTER STARS right now in Cousins/AD...if he can't Cousins and AD to fit this system, there is a very good chance Luke won't be able to get Cousins (as the best player and only star) to fit with a bunch of "kids".

tenor.gif

#522 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 11:19 PM

Two things:

I think one of Luke's biggest strengths is to connect with the players so if anyone could get Boogie in check i think it would be Luke. But of course, having George or Lebron would be important as well.

The only way to beat the Warriors is if you have a guy like Boogie, because trying to beat them at their own game is not going to work.

If you have LeBron, sure.

Without LeBron, it's an exercise in futility.  How many teams does a guy have to be on and not win as the best player before everyone realizes that he's not a guy you want to build around?  He's a weapon, sure.  But much like Pau, if he's not the gun in the holster of a GREAT PLAYER like LeBron or Kobe, he's not getting your TEAM success.  No one disputes he can put up numbers but if that's all you want, there are other players with MUCH LESS baggage and headaches available for less.

tenor.gif

#523 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 19, 2017 - 12:12 AM

Without LeBron, it's an exercise in futility. How many teams does a guy have to be on and not win as the best player before everyone realizes that he's not a guy you want to build around? He's a weapon, sure. But much like Pau, if he's not the gun in the holster of a GREAT PLAYER like LeBron or Kobe, he's not getting your TEAM success. No one disputes he can put up numbers but if that's all you want, there are other players with MUCH LESS baggage and headaches available for less.

Examples?

#524 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 03:28 AM

Examples?

Of?  Be Specific...

tenor.gif

#525 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 03:34 AM

Of?  Be Specific...

"other players with MUCH LESS baggage and headaches available for less"

#526 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,345 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 19, 2017 - 04:45 AM

Without LeBron, it's an exercise in futility.  How many teams does a guy have to be on and not win as the best player before everyone realizes that he's not a guy you want to build around?  He's a weapon, sure.  But much like Pau, if he's not the gun in the holster of a GREAT PLAYER like LeBron or Kobe, he's not getting your TEAM success.  No one disputes he can put up numbers but if that's all you want, there are other players with MUCH LESS baggage and headaches available for less.

I get what you're saying, but every team can't have generational talent.

Not enough talent. Too many teams.

And you can sight plenty of examples of AMAZINGLY TALENTED players who didn't get to the promised land let alone a lower bar like team success (which i would define as deep playoff runs over several years.

Boogie for sure is one (Was he even in playoffs before last year?)

How about AD?

CP3?

Blake?

Harden? (one of the 5 best last 3 years)

Westbrook? (maybe the best last 3 years)

KD before GS?

LaMarcus in SA? (Weird fit and they just gave him 75 mill)

Many others throughout history

Most people who disagree with you would argue you take a top player in the league if you can get him, hopefully an all-star side kick too and CHANGE YOUR SYSTEM to best fit around them.

Plenty of HOF'ers too

T-Mac

Barkley

Ewing

Probably a list of 25 guys who had spectacular careers that didn't win.

Mostly because 1 or 2 teams seem to dominate during that players career and not much you can do about it

Edited by kball, October 19, 2017 - 04:48 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#527 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts

Posted October 20, 2017 - 09:04 PM

Crickets

#528 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,554 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted October 26, 2017 - 11:28 AM

https://www.si.com/t...akers-cavaliers

Survey says:  Lakers

Don't feed the trolls. 

#529 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,345 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 08:17 AM

Ha!

People hashtagging

#LEBRONZO

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#530 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 11:12 AM

"other players with MUCH LESS baggage and headaches available for less"

Like I said in another thread, this is a waste of time for both of us.  If you wanted an example, I'd say throw a stone at PFs in the NBA...you'll find a lot...but you don't want an example.  You want me to provide you with something to refute or tear-down.

This is more about you wanting to win a point than have meaningful discussion.

I decline your invitation to participate in a meaningless debate for the sake of debate.   The average PF is more comfortable defending the perimeter, no?  Most of them have little baggage relatively, no?  If you refute either of those statements, agree to disagree.  Continuing in this direction yields no progress nor meaningful conversation.

tenor.gif

#531 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 11:53 AM

Like I said in another thread, this is a waste of time for both of us.  If you wanted an example, I'd say throw a stone at PFs in the NBA...you'll find a lot...but you don't want an example.  You want me to provide you with something to refute or tear-down.

This is more about you wanting to win a point than have meaningful discussion.

I decline your invitation to participate in a meaningless debate for the sake of debate.   The average PF is more comfortable defending the perimeter, no?  Most of them have little baggage relatively, no?  If you refute either of those statements, agree to disagree.  Continuing in this direction yields no progress nor meaningful conversation.

Why is it a waste of time. I said i wanted us to chase Boogie, you didn't because he doesn't fit the system and would chase other players with MUCH LESS baggage and headaches available for less.

Interestingly you'd chase a PF? That's weird considering its our deepest position.

I had hoped you would back up these claim of yours, but expected you wouldn't.

#532 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,738 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 01:01 PM

Cousins is someone I'd only want here if lebron James was here to keep him in his place. I don't want that guy anywhere near here if we don't have a guy like lebron here
  • GCMD likes this
Posted Image

#533 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 01:12 PM

Why is it a waste of time. I said i wanted us to chase Boogie, you didn't because he doesn't fit the system and would chase other players with MUCH LESS baggage and headaches available for less.

Interestingly you'd chase a PF? That's weird considering its our deepest position.

I had hoped you would back up these claim of yours, but expected you wouldn't.

I asked you to be specific.  You gave a generic description of what you wanted.  I'm not playing this game.

If you don't know of a player that can score/rebound who would be available this summer for less than 30M/y and isn't a knucklehead, I can't and won't help you out.  I question your motives because the answer to that question seems pretty easy.

Cousins isn't a player you want to put on a young team nor is he a player you want to base your re-build on.

SAC

NOP

That's my evidence for it not being a good idea.  Still waiting on you to provide ANY substantial evidence that supports a claim of Boogie, as your best player, being a winner or making your team better than the sum of it's parts.  Spoiler: it doesn't exist.

Edited by GCMD, October 27, 2017 - 01:13 PM.

tenor.gif

#534 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 07:56 PM

I asked you to be specific.  You gave a generic description of what you wanted.  I'm not playing this game.

If you don't know of a player that can score/rebound who would be available this summer for less than 30M/y and isn't a knucklehead, I can't and won't help you out.  I question your motives because the answer to that question seems pretty easy.

Cousins isn't a player you want to put on a young team nor is he a player you want to base your re-build on.

SAC

NOP

That's my evidence for it not being a good idea.  Still waiting on you to provide ANY substantial evidence that supports a claim of Boogie, as your best player, being a winner or making your team better than the sum of it's parts.  Spoiler: it doesn't exist.

Specific? Why be specific? You were the one making the claim, snowflake. That there would be other players with MUCH LESS baggage and headaches available for less. That's pretty general imo, so all i want is that you elaborate. But all you do is backpedal.

My case for Cousins is simple: he's a top 3 big man in the nba and he's in his prime. Among the few guys that will get a max next summer, he's one that is clearly worth it. I honestly dont care about his 23 game stint with the Pellies - not sure how you can say anything after 23 games - and i might care less about his time in Sac. They've been the most dysfunctional franchise in the nba for a long time and went through 6 [expletive]ing coaches during his time there.

#535 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,598 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 28, 2017 - 01:23 AM

Big men i rate ahead of Cousins

Davis
Towns
Jokic
Marc
Draymond
Embiid

#536 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,345 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 06:28 AM

Davis
Towns
Jokic
Marc
Draymond (wait what?)
Embiid

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#537 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 09:06 AM

Davis
Towns
Jokic
Marc
Draymond
Embiid

But these guys aren't hitting free agency next summer.

Right now Boogie is putting up 33ppg, 14.2rpg, 4.8apg, 2.8bpg, 1spg. Against the Kings he dropped 41-23-6. That's pretty good.

Anyone who wants to beat the Warriors should look to acquire Boogie rather than try to think you're going to beat them playing their style.

#538 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,738 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 09:16 AM

With cousins it's not about his stats. You have to look how he plays. He plays just like Randle. Gets the ball up top, holds it and tries to dribble a bunch or takes an inefficient jumper

He doesn't play good basketball. He puts up stats totally based on his pure basketball talent but he plays bad basketball. And unlike Randle who's recently taken a different approach and is utilizing his talents more as an energy guy and therefore has become more effective. Cousins has made 0 growth as a team player.

If cousins adjusted his game to play more off his teammates then you'd see by far a more efficient and winning player. His teams lose constantly, why? Because he stagnates offense and plays inefficiently.
Posted Image

#539 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 09:37 AM

With cousins it's not about his stats. You have to look how he plays. He plays just like Randle. Gets the ball up top, holds it and tries to dribble a bunch or takes an inefficient jumper

He doesn't play good basketball. He puts up stats totally based on his pure basketball talent but he plays bad basketball. And unlike Randle who's recently taken a different approach and is utilizing his talents more as an energy guy and therefore has become more effective. Cousins has made 0 growth as a team player.

If cousins adjusted his game to play more off his teammates then you'd see by far a more efficient and winning player. His teams lose constantly, why? Because he stagnates offense and plays inefficiently.

There's truth to that, sure. But i wouldn't say that his team losing is because of him. I mean which good players did he ever play with in Sac? They essentially let him dictate things and went through crappy players, bad decisions and 6 coaches and was a complete dysfunctional franchise for his entire time there. He's done well in NO for the few games he's been there (24-ish).

#540 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,481 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted October 28, 2017 - 09:46 AM

LeBron playing for the Lakers, the starting five on the floor, final minutes of the game, they don't get back in transition. Luke throws all of them to the bench, for teaching reasons. Including LeBron. Yeah, right... I totally see that happening...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users