562 replies to this topic

#461 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,609 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 25, 2017 - 04:18 PM

LeBron quoted as saying he wants to finish his career in CLE.

We may have to roll with Ingram and Ball guys. 

#462 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted September 26, 2017 - 04:28 AM

i think us getting any of them is starting to look dark

#463 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 04:57 AM

Only so much you can save to get others.  Unless Lebron is going to play for 10M a year not really worth it.  They should be able to sign Lebron and Paul George w/o losing the key guys they'd want with them.  Everyone else just needs to play their role.  What you want is guys like Josh Hart, Nance, Lonzo and Ingram to outplay their contracts with big contract guys like Bron/PG in house. 

I guess everyone is still looking to get Curry lucky

#464 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 04:58 AM

If Lebron signs, would fans be cool with him wanting to trade Ball or Ingram for stars?

For a couple of chips? Yes

• UKUGA likes this

#465 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,583 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 26, 2017 - 05:28 AM

A lot is going to happen over the next 9 months.  Just leave it at that.  Everyone saying the right things now.  Even the Lakers talk about wanting to make the play-offs - in September.

Have to wait and see how things unfold in the coming months. 

• GCMD likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#466 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,783 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 10:09 AM

Yeah I think people get way too absorbed in what players say to the media

1. Is lebron at Cleveland cavaliers media day going to say "well let's see what happens" or "I'd like to try new things"? No because he's not a moron.

2. To start a season all players being the humans they are have no earthly clue where they'll be the following season when their contract is up. Some obviously have a better idea than others but things happen. For example. Does Kevin Durant stay in golden state if Stephen curry and klay Thompson both tear their Achilles heals? Obviously an incredibly unlikely scenario but my point stands

I think what fans need to do is forget about 2018 completely. Go all in on ball and Ingram and then when the time comes for 2018 we will have by far a better idea of the direction we're headed than now

I mean if ball is a budding superstar and Ingram shows all star potential this season. Everything changes with having enough cap room to sign 2 max guys.
  • GCMD, UKUGA and Rekal like this
Posted Image

#467 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 954 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted September 26, 2017 - 08:19 PM

I don't believe this to be the case at all.  I also don't think this LA team is going to completely mortgage the future.  Lebron is a win now player that can mesh with good young players and still make a contender.  Kyrie is evidence of this.  Kid wasn't leading CLE anywhere as it's best player.  Ball, specifically has a game that can thrive under Lebron while being able to develop other key attributes w/o hurting the team.  

I believe LeBron would make us a playoff contender, not a championship contender. Ball and Ingram are too young to lead us anywhere with LeBron just yet. I don't know what these guys can give yet. Kyrie headed in his 4th year before Bron was an all star. How long until LeBron breaks down due to wear and tear. His first year here would most likely be him carrying this team. Each year we don't end up in the finals is another added year for Bron's age. If we get LeBron, it is likely we go all in.

#468 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,286 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 27, 2017 - 08:24 AM

Some truth there but by next year Ingram will be in his 3rd year and if he's as good as he we hope they'll be fine.  This is also considering them getting Paul George as well. 

I believe LeBron would make us a playoff contender, not a championship contender. Ball and Ingram are too young to lead us anywhere with LeBron just yet. I don't know what these guys can give yet. Kyrie headed in his 4th year before Bron was an all star. How long until LeBron breaks down due to wear and tear. His first year here would most likely be him carrying this team. Each year we don't end up in the finals is another added year for Bron's age. If we get LeBron, it is likely we go all in.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#469 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 27, 2017 - 11:12 AM

Unless Melo completely changes his game, adding him to OKC increases the chances PG13 leaves, IMHO.  I think they got him as insurance if PG13 does still want out, to give them leverage to sell RW on re-signing.

We can't worry about 2018 Free Agency.  If our guys play well, it will take care of itself.  

The Mental Health of the Lakers Front Office will also be an important factor to Free Agents.  If they are cohesive and on the same page both publicly and privately, that's a win.

Just gotta commit to the style Luke and Lonzo want to play...it will be entertaining and fun for players.  Free Agents will have to decide if that's worth the gamble of signing here...and if Luke is the type of coach we saw at GSW or if he can only get it done with the best players in the world in someone else's system.

One last factor to consider:  The Lakers have to show they aren't afraid to make a deal and shake things up if they want LeBron.  He's gonna want to see aggressiveness with moves, not standing pat.  Look to see at least 1 bold trade this season.  JR, JC, LNJ, Kuzma, Hart, even INGRAM may be on the move by the trade deadline.  Don't get too attached to anyone.

The ball is quite literally in our court.  We can do more to put ourselves in position to sign Free Agents next year than other teams can do to keep their Free Agents.  Anything short of an NBA Championship or breaking the 73 win record of GSW isn't likely to be enough to keep any Max Player (LeBron. Westbrook, PG13, DMC) who hasn't signed an extension from giving us a good hard look.

• UKUGA likes this

tenor.gif

#470 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted September 27, 2017 - 01:59 PM

OKC is going to succeed, they're going to win a lot of game, and they will be legitimate championship contenders. The same with the Cavaliers. The chances any of these teams star players leaving are very slim at the moment.

Time to ignore 2018 and focus on the current Lakers squad and hopefully one of the young guys shows serious star potential.

#471 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,446 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted September 27, 2017 - 05:06 PM

OKC is going to succeed, they're going to win a lot of game, and they will be legitimate championship contenders. The same with the Cavaliers. The chances any of these teams star players leaving are very slim at the moment.

Time to ignore 2018 and focus on the current Lakers squad and hopefully one of the young guys shows serious star potential.

Players want rings and OKC has nowhere to go but down because of the salary cap. Unless they are a legit threat to GS, their players would have no reason to stay. I think GS sweeps that team and PG looks elsewhere in offseason.

Edited by kidpolean, September 27, 2017 - 07:31 PM.

• GCMD and Jody Smokes like this

#472 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted September 27, 2017 - 08:49 PM

Players want rings and OKC has nowhere to go but down because of the salary cap. Unless they are a legit threat to GS, their players would have no reason to stay. I think GS sweeps that team and PG looks elsewhere in offseason.

there is a pretty good chance that OKC would crash and burn.  Melo, Westbrook, and PG13, they are going to need 3 basketballs on the court to be effective, unless 2 of those are willing to play 2nd fiddle to Westbrook.  Which i don't see happening.

• Xinxin likes this

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#473 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,711 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted September 28, 2017 - 03:00 AM

Its going to be a one-year thing for OKC as they likely wont be able to afford giving out money to all of these guys. Can they actually contend for a title, sure. If your win-total is in the mid-50s i think there is a chance.

#474 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,609 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 28, 2017 - 12:37 PM

there is a pretty good chance that OKC would crash and burn.  Melo, Westbrook, and PG13, they are going to need 3 basketballs on the court to be effective, unless 2 of those are willing to play 2nd fiddle to Westbrook.  Which i don't see happening.

People said the same thing about Miami.

• Jackson and Rekal like this

#475 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,583 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 28, 2017 - 12:48 PM

You can always find somebody who said something, even if it's wrong.

• GCMD and lakerfan98 like this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#476 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,286 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 28, 2017 - 01:48 PM

Miami was the closest thing to GS.  Lebron and Wade were top 5 players when they linked up. 

• GCMD likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#477 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts

Posted September 28, 2017 - 03:13 PM

For every reason people believe that OKC/Cavs will not succeed, there is a reason that they will. It's 50-50. However, the Cavs and OKC are composed with great, smart players. It's likely that they will both be very impressive -- a lot more impressive than the Lakers. They will put up tough challenges for the Warriors.

These 2018 threads will likely start to die out during the season.

Edited by Jackson, September 28, 2017 - 03:14 PM.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#478 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,446 posts

Posted September 28, 2017 - 03:32 PM

People questioned the "fit" in Miami not the teams overall talent. OKC isnt talented enough to even make the finals in the West, nobody ever said that for Miami.

#479 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,446 posts

Posted September 28, 2017 - 03:41 PM

For every reason people believe that OKC/Cavs will not succeed, there is a reason that they will. It's 50-50. However, the Cavs and OKC are composed with great, smart players. It's likely that they will both be very impressive -- a lot more impressive than the Lakers. They will put up tough challenges for the Warriors.

These 2018 threads will likely start to die out during the season.

It is not 50-50. With the cap space issues that OKC will face next offseason, they only have 1 season to determine their future. Unless you think that they are beating GS, that team will be dismantled after one season. That is the only logical thing to do from the individual player's perspectives, as well as OKC's front office perspective. I expect GS to be better this season and easily beat any team in the West.

Edited by kidpolean, September 28, 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#480 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts

Posted September 28, 2017 - 04:37 PM

It is not 50-50. With the cap space issues that OKC will face next offseason, they only have 1 season to determine their future. Unless you think that they are beating GS, that team will be dismantled after one season. That is the only logical thing to do from the individual player's perspectives, as well as OKC's front office perspective. I expect GS to be better this season and easily beat any team in the West.

If OKC nearly gets to the finals, the OKC owners will pay the lux tax to keep the team together. Depends on the players if they want to bring it back or not and there's no telling right now how the players will feel in a year.

People talk about the GSW as if they can never be beaten. In 2015, the series between the Cavs was a lot closer than it looked. the Cav's played without Kyrie and Love. In 2016, they blew a 3-1 lead. In 2017, they were a wide open Kyle Korver 3 pointer from being tied 2-2. This team was also down 20 to the Spurs before Kawhi got injured. The Warriors are a great and are always rightfully favored, but they will be challenged and can be beat.

Edited by Jackson, September 28, 2017 - 04:39 PM.

• bfc1125roy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users