448 replies to this topic

#401 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,036 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted September 11, 2017 - 04:27 PM

Rings are a team accomplishment though. KG never saw past the 1st round but once in his entire Minny career and most of those series' they didnt have a chance in hell of winning. Should that truly be a reflection of him? Karl Malone was the MVP of the league and like top 3-4 players in his best days but lost in the Finals to the all time Bulls. Both of them are better than Pau Gasol was. Pau has 2 rings.

Pau wasn't as talented as either of those guys. It's clear that they were better. KG was better on both ends of the court.

Those aren't even close. I specifically said that it only works when they are on the same level talent wise, as well as playing a similar role within their teams.

Make an argument for a PF being better than Duncan and it will get immediately crushed because of his ring count. Duncan is so talented that he's easily one of the best. Once you throw in his rings, it's almost impossible to come up with a logical argument for picking another PF over him. If Duncan had 0 rings his place in history would be much different.

Edited by kidpolean, September 11, 2017 - 04:40 PM.

• GCMD likes this

#402 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,918 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 11, 2017 - 05:27 PM

The Ring argument gets mucked up further by dominant team/teams controlling an era.

In the 80's The Lakers hogged 5, celtics 3.

Thats an 8 year period where only sixers broke thru.

And represents a pretty good chunk of an NBA career if you're on the 20 odd other teams.

Same in the 90's and 2000's with the dominant teams in that era.

Ok Kid...how about this one.

James Worthy vs Vince Carter?

Most Laker fans would pick Worthy,

But not me. 

Who would you pick from those guys?

Worthy with many more rings obviously.

Vince with many bigger seasons and a much longer career

Edited by kball, September 11, 2017 - 06:24 PM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#403 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,108 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted September 12, 2017 - 07:00 AM

I disagree. Rings are a good way to seperate two players that are very close talent wise. There is no way an argument could be made that a player with no rings is better than Jordan.

There were guys in prison better than Jordan. Sooooo????????  And I know Iknow. How would you know they were better than Jordan, Blah Blah Blah. Ask Mike and many players that were in the league and they'll tell you the same thing. Rings are cool but they mean nothing when talking about who was the better player Apples to Apples. It's funny how that didn't mean anything when Magic kicked Birds butt in college and then won a championship. No Rookie of the year award

Edited by lakersince75, September 12, 2017 - 07:21 AM.

#404 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,108 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted September 12, 2017 - 07:01 AM

The Ring argument gets mucked up further by dominant team/teams controlling an era.

And represents a pretty good chunk of an NBA career if you're on the 20 odd other teams.

But not me. 

Worthy had to share the ball with alot of guys in his prime. Anyone with Magic on their team wasn't going to get the ball all the time. Even Steven with Magic at the point. But how about this one Patrick Ewing and Pau Gasol or Kenny Smith and Mark Jackson. The ring thing is total BS. Rodman Vs David Robinson. And Rodman did it with two different teams. I could go on for days. What if LeBron had no rings and went to 13 straight finals ??? Oh. Now he wouldn't be mentioned in the GOAT conversation because ????????  There is no question that John Stockton is a top 3 PG of all times. Where are the rings??? I guess a prime Nash and Wilkins are beneath Steve Kerr and Scottie Pippin. Yeah right. This post is more pointed towards the post above yours

Edited by lakersince75, September 12, 2017 - 07:14 AM.

#405 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,059 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 12, 2017 - 07:03 AM

I don't know how anyone could watch games with Worthy and then Vince and come to the conclusion that Worthy was as better basketball player

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#406 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,036 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 07:24 AM

Worthy had to share the ball with alot of guys in his prime. Anyone with Magic on their team wasn't going to get the ball all the time. Even Steven with Magic at the point. But how about this one Patrick Ewing and Pau Gasol or Kenny Smith and Mark Jackson. The ring thing is total BS. Rodman Vs David Robinson. And Rodman did it with two different teams. I could go on for days. What if LeBron had no rings and went to 13 straight finals ??? Oh. Now he wouldn't be mentioned in the GOAT conversation because ???????? There is no question that John Stockton is a top 3 PG of all times. Where are the rings??? I guess a prime Nash and Wilkins are beneath Steve Kerr and Scottie Pippin. Yeah right. This post is more pointed towards the post above yours

You guys are completely ignoring the criteria that I posted. All of your comparisons are of players that aren't even close to each other.

Rodman vs Robinson is a joke and rings don't even need to be mentioned.

Rings can be used to seperate two equally talented players...thats the last time I'm going to say that

If LeBron has 0 rings, his spot in history would be much lower. Nobody would dare compare him to Jordan or Kobe.

Give me an argument for a player with no rings being better than Kobe, Magic, Duncan, or Jordan

Edited by kidpolean, September 12, 2017 - 07:34 AM.

• Wilt Chamberneezy likes this

#407 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,036 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 07:25 AM

But not me. 

Please read my post again. I'm not sure why you guys are picking completely one sided comparisons.

#408 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,918 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 07:44 AM

You guys are completely ignoring the criteria that I posted. All of your comparisons are of players that aren't even close to each other.

Rodman vs Robinson is a joke and rings don't even need to be mentioned.

Rings can be used to seperate two equally talented players...thats the last time I'm going to say that

If LeBron has 0 rings, his spot in history would be much lower. Nobody would dare compare him to Jordan or Kobe.

Give me an argument for a player with no rings being better than Kobe, Magic, Duncan, or Jordan

Thats impossible. Maybe Malone over Duncan but the other 3 wont get any argument from almost anyone (except maybe boston fans who downgrade kobe and magic outside the top 8 players but...

If you take the top 30 of all-time you can make a strong case over those that haven't won over some that have.

Dominique Wilkens, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Elgin Baylor off the top of my head

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#409 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,036 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 07:51 AM

Thats impossible. Maybe Malone over Duncan but the other 3 wont get any argument from almost anyone (except maybe boston fans who downgrade kobe and magic outside the top 8 players but...

If you take the top 30 of all-time you can make a strong case over those that haven't won over some that have.
Dominique Wilkens, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Elgin Baylor off the top of my head

Those guys are positioned that way because of RINGS!

If Duncan had 0 rings, Malone and KG would be valid arguments for being better than he was.

Jordan wouldn't be considered untouchable if he wasnt 6-0 in the finals.

If LeBron had 0 rings you'd put him over Kobe?

There is no valid argument for a guy with no rings and nearly equal talent being better than a #1 option with multiple rings assuming that the era's they played in aren't too far off. And I only mention era because the difference in athleticism and the way that the game is played.

Please try to find me one that fits that criteria...Ill give you a damn near 40 year window. Give a comparison of two #1 options that played between 1980-now in which one player has 0 rings and the other has multiple rings. Then argue why the one with no rings is better.

Edited by kidpolean, September 12, 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#410 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,059 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 12, 2017 - 08:24 AM

Tony Parker has 4 rings and at the end of the day CP3 is still better than him IMO.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#411 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,036 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 08:50 AM

Tony Parker has 4 rings and at the end of the day CP3 is still better than him IMO.

TP isn't as talented nor was he a #1 option like CP3 was.

I never said rings are the sole reason to put a player above another player. I said that after considering talent and role on their individual teams, if both players are really close, rings can be used as the tie breaker.

You guys keep comparing players that talent levels and roles aren't comparable which shows that what I'm saying is logical. Its hard to come up with a legit argument that follows my criteria.

Hakeem was almost an exception if Jordan had never retired but he would have been the only one that I can think of.

Edited by kidpolean, September 12, 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#412 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,918 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 09:40 AM

George Gervin comes to mind as ringless and maybe the best player in the league when Magic broke in.

He dominated the league for years

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#413 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,806 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 12, 2017 - 11:37 PM

What happened to this thread?

tenor.gif

#414 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,036 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:00 AM

There isn't much else to discuss about Bron coming here. We have to wait a year and see what happens.

#415 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,918 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:07 AM

HA!

Like Lakers these last few seasons...UNRECOGNIZABLE 

• GCMD likes this

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#416 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,806 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 10:45 AM

There isn't much else to discuss about Bron coming here. We have to wait a year and see what happens.

Are you sure?

https://twitter.com/...779194813161472

http://usatodayhss.c...lebron-james-jr

DJkUXb_UEAAGICy.jpg

Those rumors were rejuvenated on Tuesday when LeBron was sited on campus at Sherman Oaks Notre Dame, the prestigious prep school which is roughly 20 minutes from James’ Beverly Hills mansion. Thirty minutes in the other direction from James’ mansion is the UCLA Health Training Center, the Lakers’ practice facility. You don’t have to read too closely between the lines to see what the James gang might have been doing on the campus.

There’s just one issue with that alleged explanation: according to Los Angeles Times prep sports reporter Eric Sondheimer, James was just on campus at Notre Dame for a workout while in Los Angeles.

Whether or not that leaked explanation is actually true is another question entirely. In defense of the conspiracy theorists, consider this: NBA training camps open between Sep. 23 and Sep. 30, and after that LeBron will be in season with the Cavs until June (barring a massive collapse that keeps them out of the playoffs). If he and wife Savannah Brinson wanted to have their sons’ school selected before a potential future move to L.A., now would be the time to check them out and get a feel for the atmosphere with classes back in session.

Who was that alongside James on Tuesday in a photo taken on the Notre Dame campus? It sure looks more like Brinson than James’ mother, Gloria Marie James.

Edited by GCMD, September 13, 2017 - 10:49 AM.

tenor.gif

#417 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,806 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 10:47 AM

No one wants to talk about LeBron and his wife being seen scouting LA private High Schools?

tenor.gif

#418 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,918 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 11:45 AM

Man, i grew up about 4 blocks from ND High School but didn't attend there.

Went there every weekend to play tennis for about 2 years when i was 15.

Brings back good memories. Thanks for posting that!

I agree that workout story is probably bs. Not much around there that would interest LeBron. Its all residential...

Well, Ventura blvd has its charm at times

Edited by kball, September 13, 2017 - 11:46 AM.

• GCMD likes this

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#419 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,036 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 12:19 PM

No one wants to talk about LeBron and his wife being seen scouting LA private High Schools?

I think that as long as we aren't terrible this year and Ball plays like we think he will, LeBron will be a Laker next season. I think it's more likely than not at this point.
  • GCMD likes this

#420 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,806 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:27 PM

I was thinking about this last week and I said to myself "if LeBron and his Wife start shopping for high schools in LA, it's a wrap".  

Well folks, that's all she wrote.

I thought they'd start looking in April or May at the latest...IMHO, LBJ and SB aren't even TRYING to be in CLE THIS year...LOL.  

If CLE asked for Ingram for LeBron, how many of you would say no?

tenor.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users