514 replies to this topic

#21 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 20, 2017 - 12:30 AM

I know this is not popular and I completely understand but if LeBron makes it known to CLE he wants to come to LA, I'd be willing to trade Ingram for him in a heartbeat...wouldn't even flinch.  They'd probably want something like infinite picks but if they said they wanted Lopez/Ingram/2019 1st round pick for LeBron, done and done.

If we could give up Ingram+filler for Lebron, i guess we'd have to do it. But Ingram is key in terms of winning a title becuase he's cost controlled for a very long time at next to nothing.

IMO the best bet for the Lakers is to win games with the guys we have and do what we can to shed Clarkson and Deng.

If we had to make a move to help lure Lebron, perhaps we try to swing a deal for Wade, like recent rumors suggest here: http://www.lakersnat..._medium=twitter

Deng, Nance, Zu, 2020 1st and return of 2020 2nd for Wade would work, of course, but after signing KCP the fit with Wade isn't great and i'm not sure about who they'd keep either.

#22 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,916 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 20, 2017 - 01:01 AM

If we could give up Ingram+filler for Lebron, i guess we'd have to do it. But Ingram is key in terms of winning a title becuase he's cost controlled for a very long time at next to nothing.

IMO the best bet for the Lakers is to win games with the guys we have and do what we can to shed Clarkson and Deng.

If we had to make a move to help lure Lebron, perhaps we try to swing a deal for Wade, like recent rumors suggest here: http://www.lakersnat..._medium=twitter

Deng, Nance, Zu, 2020 1st and return of 2020 2nd for Wade would work, of course, but after signing KCP the fit with Wade isn't great and i'm not sure about who they'd keep either.

Wade can guard 2/3.  At this point, Clarkson is likely getting moved also so bringing in Wade fills that backup 2 spot nicely.

And Wade is still cool with LeBron.  Would definitely help keep LA on LeBron's mind.

tenor.gif

#23 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 20, 2017 - 01:40 AM

Wade can guard 2/3.  At this point, Clarkson is likely getting moved also so bringing in Wade fills that backup 2 spot nicely.

And Wade is still cool with LeBron.  Would definitely help keep LA on LeBron's mind.

That's not my point. Say we do trade for Wade. Do we bring him off the bench or start him at the 2 instead of KCP (unlikely) or at the 3 instead of Ingram (possible).

Also, if we are using Wade as a means to get Lebron i think we kinda have to re-sign him right. Does that mean KCP is gone or do we keep both KCP and Wade and then go after Lebron? Or what?  

#24 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,198 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 20, 2017 - 02:07 AM

Lebron is one of the best playmakers and facilitators of this generation... not sure how he would be a "STOPPER in the growth of the youth".

Pretty funny cause I'm 100% certain that the primary thing Lebron would do for our youth is accelerate their progression and development.

Bottom line is, do we have a shot at Lebron next year?  There's no doubt, I'd probably give us a 25-30% chance at the moment which can increase or decrease depending upon a multitude of factors such as how our young core plays this year, how far the Cavaliers get, as well as whom we are able to attract in next year's offseason.

as i said before, i think if the cavs struggle this season, the chances of getting lebron are becoming more and more higher by spring 2018

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#25 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,431 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 20, 2017 - 04:22 AM

I don't get why anyone WOULDN'T want him. We're not stacked with so much talent that we can't use LeBron. His IQ alone is worth everything to us and the coaching staff. His brand is worth ten fold what the Lakers pay him. It's a no brainer if he wants to come here.

BUT, we've seen this same [expletive]ing story every single time LeBron's been a free agent. Remember when Melo and LeBron were supposed to come play with Kobe? LeBron might leave Cleveland, yes. They're stuck in a cap mess moving forward and their current lineup isn't sniffing the Warriors. Still, there's zero reason for him to come play in the West.

I think people still misunderstand that no big star wanted to spend prime years playing with Kobe after the Achilles rupture. 

Those two were never "supposed" to come play with Kobe.  Carmelo considered it, while Lebron wouldn't take a meeting. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#26 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 04:41 AM

Giving up Ingram for, what, two years of Lebron's time? People must be going mad.

He will be 33 going 34 next year. 44,000 regular season minutes and 10,000 playoff minutes he will have played. (Quick reminder: That is 19 seasons of Kobe's career. Lebron will have done it in 4 less years)

And how many years will he give us playing at Top 10 player level? 1? 2? How many players will he accomodate playing next to him? 2?

fXlFKv8.gif

#27 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,121 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 20, 2017 - 04:43 AM

I think LeBron at the 4 just seems odd night in and out. Would love to have him but I don't see him doing all the grit and grime work. 

#28 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,431 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 04:53 AM

Giving up Ingram for, what, two years of Lebron's time? People must be going mad.

He will be 33 going 34 next year. 44,000 regular season minutes and 10,000 playoff minutes he will have played. (Quick reminder: That is 19 seasons of Kobe's career. Lebron will have done it in 4 less years)

And how many years will he give us playing at Top 10 player level? 1? 2? How many players will he accomodate playing next to him? 2?

You can't look at any single move in isolation.

Bringing in Lebron would be both about the talent upgrade and star power + the all important ability to attract more talent. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#29 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 05:11 AM

I will disagree with that. Not only that scenario presumes that Ball will have a healthy prolonged career as the designated franchise player for years to come, but also banking on Lebron to deliver at least 3-4 years of elite basketball. That risk is not worth giving up Ingram.

6'9 (6'10?) height, 7'3 wingspan and two-way ability does not come out of that door every draft.

Also, people must have missed that we can actually sign Lebron as a free agent. So I don't get this trade talk.

• Adam likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 05:21 AM

as i said before, i think if the cavs struggle this season, the chances of getting lebron are becoming more and more higher by spring 2018

Why would they struggle with the East being EVEN WEAKER now than ever?
  • UKUGA likes this

yo.

#31 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,431 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:10 AM

I will disagree with that. Not only that scenario presumes that Ball will have a healthy prolonged career as the designated franchise player for years to come, but also banking on Lebron to deliver at least 3-4 years of elite basketball. That risk is not worth giving up Ingram.

6'9 (6'10?) height, 7'3 wingspan and two-way ability does not come out of that door every draft.

Also, people must have missed that we can actually sign Lebron as a free agent. So I don't get this trade talk.

You can disagree, but it means you continue to fail to consider that this is about more than simply acquiring Lebron.  It's about building a team, with the potential to bring in as many as 3 (maybe even 4) max level guys. 

To do that, at some point, someone gets traded. 

If Cousins and George say to you:  "We will sign with you straight up, but only if you trade Ingram for Lebron", then you do it. 

If Lebron says to you, "I want you to use your cap room to sign these 2 guys, and then work out a S&T deal to bring me to LA," then you do it.

In isolation, do we trade Ingram for James?  I probably would, but you wouldn't, and that's you.  I'm not going to debate that point in isolation.

This is about building a team and doing what it takes to attract star power back to the Lakers, after years of being spurned.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#32 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,431 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:12 AM

Why would they struggle with the East being EVEN WEAKER now than ever?

Right.  They aren't going to struggle.

It's possible the Celtics beat them, but I doubt it. 

The big issue for Cleveland is being so capstrung that they can't effectively re-work their roster, so they may not be able to compete with the Warriors. 

Even their young star, Kyrie, is already getting paid.

In LA, OTOH, their two best players are Ball and Ingram, and they make a relative pittance.  That's why this has an opportunity to work. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#33 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:00 AM

You can disagree, but it means you continue to fail to consider that this is about more than simply acquiring Lebron.  It's about building a team, with the potential to bring in as many as 3 (maybe even 4) max level guys. 

To do that, at some point, someone gets traded. 

If Cousins and George say to you:  "We will sign with you straight up, but only if you trade Ingram for Lebron", then you do it. 

If Lebron says to you, "I want you to use your cap room to sign these 2 guys, and then work out a S&T deal to bring me to LA," then you do it.

In isolation, do we trade Ingram for James?  I probably would, but you wouldn't, and that's you.  I'm not going to debate that point in isolation.

This is about building a team and doing what it takes to attract star power back to the Lakers, after years of being spurned.

So you claim that you are considering that hypothetical trade in terms of "team building", but I'm not? Do you think I'm emotionally attached to Ingram or something?

Ingram has a rookie level contract until 2020 summer. Do you know the value of that in "team building"? Go ahead and find me a 20ppg 6rpg two-way player that will play for $5.7m next season and $7.5m the season after that. Not to mention the value he will have multiplied as he becomes a seasoned pro.

It is not Lebron vs. Ingram as I have said. We can acquire Lebron in FA anyway if he puts his mind to come here. Trading Ingram, the guy I just outlined in previous instances, would be a major slap in the face for "team building". You can look back the Celtics Big-3 era, Heatles Big-3 era and eventually current Warriors era that those constructed super teams do not last. The lifespan of that fantasized Cousins-PG-Lebron super team would be limited to whatever Lebron has left in the tank. Again, how many years does he have left in the tank?

On the other hand a core of Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram can last for 15 years. As those two stick together and age, the alure of LA will bring pieces together around them. That is much more valuable than any other short term plan we may have.

• Adam likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#34 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,022 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:04 AM

I think Lakers consider it WHATEVER the asking price is.

In a FA move its the biggest no brainer in the history of the league (top 3 for sure).

In a trade scenario...you probably end up doing it no matter what the ask is.

If you didnt know Bron's age, you wouldnt think for a second a player at that age is as dominating as he still is and how much he alone determines outcomes of so many games

• UKUGA likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#35 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:12 AM

Why are people talking about trading anything for Lebron?  If he comes to LA it's by free agency and he's the best free agent they'd have access to IF he's even interested.  A 33-35 year old Lebron is STILL better than ANY player available until like 2020.  Think about that.  The best version of Paul George is not even as good as regular season coasting Lebron right now.  

• lakersince75 likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#36 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:22 AM

Adding Lebron in 2018 summer, and Klay in 2019 summer >>>>>> any other scenario. I don't think Magic and Rob are stupid enough to not consider longer term plans. We don't have to reload this team in one summer. The meshing process usually takes longer than that anyway.

2018/19: Ball, Ingram, Lebron + Kuzma

2019/20: Ball, Ingram, Lebron, Klay + Kuzma

with or without Randle can be a force in West.

fXlFKv8.gif

#37 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,121 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:29 AM

Holy Crap!! LeBron for 2 years for Randle for 5 years. I'll take LeBron in 2018

#38 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:32 AM

I dont think Klay is going to be attainable via free agency tbh.  I believe after this year win or lose the Dubs trade him for a lottery pick to a team that's willing to max him out.  I like Klay but with the cap hikes finally over giving a guy thats best as a 3rd wheel a max is a bad idea.  

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#39 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,557 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:57 AM

I dont think Klay is going to be attainable via free agency tbh. I believe after this year win or lose the Dubs trade him for a lottery pick to a team that's willing to max him out. I like Klay but with the cap hikes finally over giving a guy thats best as a 3rd wheel a max is a bad idea.

They have no reason to do that. They've made it clear that they'll pay into the luxury to keep those 4 together at Golden State. They're not worried about he tail end of any contract if it's getting them multiple rings right now.

#40 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,431 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 08:01 AM

So you claim that you are considering that hypothetical trade in terms of "team building", but I'm not? Do you think I'm emotionally attached to Ingram or something?

Ingram has a rookie level contract until 2020 summer. Do you know the value of that in "team building"? Go ahead and find me a 20ppg 6rpg two-way player that will play for $5.7m next season and $7.5m the season after that. Not to mention the value he will have multiplied as he becomes a seasoned pro.

It is not Lebron vs. Ingram as I have said. We can acquire Lebron in FA anyway if he puts his mind to come here. Trading Ingram, the guy I just outlined in previous instances, would be a major slap in the face for "team building". You can look back the Celtics Big-3 era, Heatles Big-3 era and eventually current Warriors era that those constructed super teams do not last. The lifespan of that fantasized Cousins-PG-Lebron super team would be limited to whatever Lebron has left in the tank. Again, how many years does he have left in the tank?

On the other hand a core of Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram can last for 15 years. As those two stick together and age, the alure of LA will bring pieces together around them. That is much more valuable than any other short term plan we may have.

Your comments continue to highlight that you are too narrowly focused on an Ingram for Lebron swap.

I'm saying that while that move, in isolation, is debatable (if you want it to be), as a move that opens the door for other moves, there is no debate.

None.

If you really have a situation where other players are saying, "I will sign with you, if you do the Lebron deal," then you do it.   

If you are willing to risk bringing in other stars, because you love Ingram too much to trade for Lebron, then that is foolish.  FOOLISH.

You don't do that.

Now, if no one else is coming, and Lebron says, "I want to be a Laker";  of course you do not trade Ingram for him if you can sign him outright, and no one else is coming.  If you have the cap room and Lebron is willing to sign, then of course you sign him.  There's no question there.  

But, do you prevent yourself from putting together a star-studded team over Brandon Ingram?  Absolutely not.  

Edited by UKUGA, July 20, 2017 - 08:14 AM.

Don't feed the trolls. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users