13 replies to this topic

#1 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,685 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 19, 2017 - 07:29 AM

I think I saw Matt Thomas miss one shot when I watched him play in Summer League this year. Everything else was a swish. Shooters like this do not grow on trees. For me, not only is he a camp invite and two-way contract recipient, but we need to design sets to get this guy open looks in the offense. He's that impressive.

The one downside that might be trotted out is defense...but to be honest, I was impressed with his defensive effort. He more than held his own out there....and I don't think this is weakness for him in the same way it is for Blue or some of the other other guards.

• dazz and LACAS like this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#2 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,720 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 19, 2017 - 07:39 AM

Wouldn't hurt he played good the last couple games
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#3 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,685 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 07:45 AM

He didn't just play good, he was 14/16 from three point range in the last three games. His percentages are insane.

• MaceWindu likes this

pkray.png

#4 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,252 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 07:49 AM

He shot 17/28 (60.7%) from perimeter in summer league. Most (if not all?) were catch-and-shoot.

The sample size is small, but I agree that he deserves to be training camp invitee at the very least. I'm pretty sure South Bay Lakers will sign him even if we use the 2nd two-way contract for someone else. Between him and Vander Blue, we can have a good option to pick from if one of our guys go down.

• kray28 and MaceWindu like this

fXlFKv8.gif

#5 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,807 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 19, 2017 - 07:52 AM

He shot 17/28 (60.7%) from perimeter in summer league. Most (if not all?) were catch-and-shoot.

The sample size is small, but I agree that he deserves to be training camp invitee at the very least. I'm pretty sure South Bay Lakers will sign him even if we use the 2nd two-way contract for someone else. Between him and Vander Blue, we can have a good option to pick from if one of our guys go down.

because Lonzo and the contagious passing

#6 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,807 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 19, 2017 - 07:54 AM

I think Wear can shoot just as well and actually be a better fit with what the coaches need.

#7 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,252 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 19, 2017 - 09:23 AM

i swear, you speak out of my mind

i thought about starting a topic on thomas but then i was like "NAAAH, IT WILL BE CLOSED"..

but yeah thomas is a good kid, hope he and vander get shots!

• kray28 likes this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#8 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,591 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 19, 2017 - 03:41 PM

Did everyone already forget about Hart? Just cause he was injured and couldn't showcase in summer league doesn't mean he's out of the picture. I still think he may be a wonderful prospect moving forward. 

He definitely chose the right time to get hot. Someone will give him a camp invite. We'll find out in the next week or two how loaded we're looking at the guard position cause we might be about 7 deep already. It might be wiser to invest time in a wing or a big if that's the case.

As far as the guards, we have Lonzo, KCP and Clarkson who are guaranteed tons of minutes.

There are question marks on Ennis, Brewer, Hart and Caruso. We don't know how much time Hart and Caruso will spend in the G-League and on the actual roster, we don't know if Ennis is staying or going, we don't know if Brewer will take minutes away from anyone.

The good thing about Matt is that he shot almost 45% from 3 for Iowa St. and shot about 6 threes a game for them. That's huge in the NCAA. It seems like he's had zero trouble adjusting to the NBA three point line in summer league. He's listed at 6'5 some places, 6'4 others, I'm guessing he's a bit shorter than both of those. Couldn't find his verified measurements anywhere. It's gonna be up to his size and strength whether he could make it in the league. Everyone knows he can shoot, but there's a ton of shooters waiting for their turn in the G-League but can't find their way in because they don't have the strength to bang with NBA bodies.

• MaceWindu likes this

#9 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,591 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 03:42 PM

i thought about starting a topic but then i was like "NAAAH, IT WILL BE CLOSED"..

Out of curiosity, how often does this happen to you everyday?

• manaro90 and MaceWindu like this

#10 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,685 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 06:16 PM

Did everyone already forget about Hart? Just cause he was injured and couldn't showcase in summer league doesn't mean he's out of the picture. I still think he may be a wonderful prospect moving forward. 

He definitely chose the right time to get hot. Someone will give him a camp invite. We'll find out in the next week or two how loaded we're looking at the guard position cause we might be about 7 deep already. It might be wiser to invest time in a wing or a big if that's the case.

As far as the guards, we have Lonzo, KCP and Clarkson who are guaranteed tons of minutes.

There are question marks on Ennis, Brewer, Hart and Caruso. We don't know how much time Hart and Caruso will spend in the G-League and on the actual roster, we don't know if Ennis is staying or going, we don't know if Brewer will take minutes away from anyone.

The good thing about Matt is that he shot almost 45% from 3 for Iowa St. and shot about 6 threes a game for them. That's huge in the NCAA. It seems like he's had zero trouble adjusting to the NBA three point line in summer league. He's listed at 6'5 some places, 6'4 others, I'm guessing he's a bit shorter than both of those. Couldn't find his verified measurements anywhere. It's gonna be up to his size and strength whether he could make it in the league. Everyone knows he can shoot, but there's a ton of shooters waiting for their turn in the G-League but can't find their way in because they don't have the strength to bang with NBA bodies.

I did get to see Hart play before he got hurt. He wasn't bad....but seemed more like a slasher than a shooter.

pkray.png

#11 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,591 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 07:38 PM

I did get to see Hart play before he got hurt. He wasn't bad....but seemed more like a slasher than a shooter.

Hart was the top scorer on one of the best teams in the nation, I've gotten to see him play plenty. He shot the 3 ball at over 40% his senior year and took more 3's than Thomas did. Overall he's a much better prospect because he already has the ability to do more with the basketball and is much more athletic and longer.

#12 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,940 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 19, 2017 - 08:19 PM

Ideas actually pleasantly surprised on Thomas and Wear. And I was dogging then the first few games. Didn't want them to play.. they can shorthand was hustling out there. Summer League or not, they earned a preseason invite.

#13 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,252 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 19, 2017 - 08:51 PM

Out of curiosity, how often does this happen to you everyday?

not everyday actually...

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#14 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,667 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 20, 2017 - 12:40 AM

I'd say sign him. I dont know what he is defensively, but he's a sniper from beyond the arc, which we desperately need.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users