• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,918 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 15, 2017 - 12:19 PM

I mean REAL bad.  I could see them going 4-16 in their 1st 20 games...that would not shock me.  Too many new pieces and too many changes.  3 new starters that weren't on the roster last year and 2 guys who didn't start the entire season last year.

This offense will take time.  

The turnovers will be high.  

Chemistry and timing will not be there yet.  

A LOT of people questioning Ball, his shot and our fast pace.  

People claiming Russell would have been a better fit than KCP.

People either throwing Ingram under the bus or claiming he's the TRUE face of the Franchise.

People calling for Lopez to be traded, like ASAP.

People wanting to start Kuzma after 3 games and play Randle at the 5 (not a bad idea, actually - LOL).

It will be wild but it will be Ok.  Just wanted to prepare you guys for the sky falling early on.  Don't expect the starters to look like the Summer League guys.  Don't expect our starters to play as fast as the Summer League guys.  Don't expect to see Showtime right away (or at all within the first 30 games).

Expect the Worst.

Hope for the Best.

tenor.gif

#2 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 15, 2017 - 12:21 PM

Smh. Manaro?
  • Tensai and Jody Smokes like this

#3 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,117 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 15, 2017 - 12:25 PM

I actually think the opposite.

While I don't expect them to come out of the gates with a significant win streak or even be at .500 following 20 games, it's not that farfetched to see these guys over-achieve.  Reason being is we have alot of fresh new talent, a good mixture of veteran and youth, and most importantly, a bunch of players on contract years looking to fetch big money next season.

Lopez

Randle

Pope

All 3 players whom are on contract years, all 2 starters, and 3 looking to cash in next season.  With a creator and facilitator such as Lonzo running the point, I can see all of them having close to career numbers. 

• JGuez and LACAS like this

#4 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,548 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 15, 2017 - 01:29 PM

Meh, there's always a learning curve. I just hope we're competing and getting after it.

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 01:51 PM

I don't blame your perspective nor mentality too much since I myself often take this approach in life on so many things and situations. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst (depressing for some, but works for me), but in this case specifically, I do think you're overreacting/exaggerating just a bit, but we shall see.

yo.

#6 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 15, 2017 - 01:59 PM

I mean REAL bad.  I could see them going 4-16 in their 1st 20 games...that would not shock me.  Too many new pieces and too many changes.  3 new starters that weren't on the roster last year and 2 guys who didn't start the entire season last year.

This offense will take time.  

The turnovers will be high.  

Chemistry and timing will not be there yet.  

A LOT of people questioning Ball, his shot and our fast pace.  

People claiming Russell would have been a better fit than KCP.

People either throwing Ingram under the bus or claiming he's the TRUE face of the Franchise.

People calling for Lopez to be traded, like ASAP.

People wanting to start Kuzma after 3 games and play Randle at the 5 (not a bad idea, actually - LOL).

It will be wild but it will be Ok.  Just wanted to prepare you guys for the sky falling early on.  Don't expect the starters to look like the Summer League guys.  Don't expect our starters to play as fast as the Summer League guys.  Don't expect to see Showtime right away (or at all within the first 30 games).

Expect the Worst.

Hope for the Best.

Bruh if we start 4-16, it's season cancel and a LOL @ all the 35 win predictions. This team is going to have to perform from the start of the season or else it'll be a guaranteed bad season.

Remember last years Lakers started off really well and we were like 6th in the west at one point. Bada bing bada boom, teams figured us out quite easily and our guys naturally regressed. We would've been a 20 win team had we not went on a 5 game winning streak to end the season.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#7 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 412 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 15, 2017 - 02:00 PM

Given that I expected them to be bad ALL season, this is pretty good news. Always appreciate the optimism.

Edited by MambaMentality, July 15, 2017 - 02:01 PM.

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 02:26 PM

Luke on Zach Lowe's podcast discussing some of what he expects from this coming season:

http://m.espn.com/ge...553&src=desktop

yo.

#9 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 15, 2017 - 04:01 PM

It'd be nice to see the schedule before making pronouncements. 

Maybe you're right.

Maybe you're not.

• Busty Bluth likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#10 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 05:33 PM

Luke on Zach Lowe's podcast discussing some of what he expects from this coming season:

http://m.espn.com/ge...553&src=desktop

Zach Lowe is an absolute favourite. Only journalist I follow consistently.

Funny what Luke said about Russell, " I really hope he kick our butts"

Couple of possible interpretations.

#11 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 506 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted July 15, 2017 - 05:35 PM

I expect a similair start 10-10 for the first 20 games. From there, it depends on the team situation. If they buy into what Coach tries to implement AND show at least a little effort on defense, i think we are safe to win 32-35 games, which i would consider a success. And if Jazz, Clippers and Grizzlies struggle more than i thought meanwhile Blazers, Nuggets and Kings does not overachieve, we may even sneak into play-off! But i know this is too much ifs and i don't believe it will happen :)

#12 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 05:40 PM

How in hell can you guys determine the record when we don't even know the schedule ? Lol.
  • JGuez likes this

#13 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 05:46 PM

It is like manaro and Majesty had babies and GCMD was born.

• nikolatesla likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#14 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 05:47 PM

It is like manaro and Majesty had babies and GCMD was born.

😂😂

#15 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 758 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted July 15, 2017 - 05:55 PM

How in hell can you guys determine the record when we don't even know the schedule ? Lol.

Haha actually lol'd at that one too.

Wouldn't you have to look at who they're playing, how they fared against them last year, who teams added or lost, number back to backs etc. Hard to analyze that and spit our some objective data without knowing who they are even playing.

4-16 is a fourth of the season and that projects to winning 17 games? A little low, but who am I to say. I guess if you set expectations so low you can never be disappointed. So I'll say they open up 0-20!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#16 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:17 PM

The Lakers will be better now with the KCP because the roster has more shooting.  I do still wonder how they will function in the half court with Ball as the playmaker.  He still has not looked good in the halfcourt.  KCP will likely initiate more of the halfcourt sets until Ball and Ingram can grow in this area but that's not ideal long term.  Getting Bron and/or PG in 2018 will take care all of that though. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#17 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 16, 2017 - 07:02 AM

Haha actually lol'd at that one too.

Wouldn't you have to look at who they're playing, how they fared against them last year, who teams added or lost, number back to backs etc. Hard to analyze that and spit our some objective data without knowing who they are even playing.

4-16 is a fourth of the season and that projects to winning 17 games? A little low, but who am I to say. I guess if you set expectations so low you can never be disappointed. So I'll say they open up 0-20!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thinking is there are 2 issues more importan than who theyre even playing.

1. Small sample size (easier to predict whole season than a portion of it)

2. In early season contests teams havent been scouted much so theyre both harder to prepare for, and can surprise stronger teams before they are taken more seriously as the season wears on.

For these reasons i think Lakers just as likely to come out of the gates better than expected as they are worse than.

Also agreeing with GCMD is just wrong on principal for me in many cases.

(not to be disrespectful or anything) 

• MaceWindu likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#18 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,200 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 16, 2017 - 10:32 AM

Smh. Manaro?

not funny...

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#19 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,783 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:09 AM

I don't think anyone really expects a great start from the Lakers. It really depends on the schedule.

#20 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,431 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 17, 2017 - 03:55 AM

The Lakers have been bad for years. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users