529 replies to this topic

#161 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 394 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 07, 2017 - 07:44 AM

Randle was guilty of getting nervous when he's not doing his same go-to moves, never leaving his comfort zone, and completely stopping the flow of that offense last season just to get his same shot. His strength is getting shots in stride, like, give it to him when he's cutting towards the basket. But it's to the point where that's all he awkwardly wants to do. He can't do a normal post up at all. In games he doesn't even try. Give it to him in the post and he freezes up. It's like a guard that doesn't want to work on going left just as often as going right.  Develop some sort of passable sky hook and post up Randle!

#162 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 07, 2017 - 08:12 PM

Randles goes left and right.  It's finishing right that he was adapting to last year and finishing right after going right instead of bringing it back to his left. 

Randle has no issues going left and right as he's gone both comfortably, it's the hand he finishes with that they wanted to work on. 

This off-season however he's put in a lot of time into his right hand and has been using it much more often on his finishes.  Especially when it makes the most sense to do so. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#163 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 07, 2017 - 10:15 PM

Randles goes left and right.  It's finishing right that he was adapting to last year and finishing right after going right instead of bringing it back to his left. 

Randle has no issues going left and right as he's gone both comfortably, it's the hand he finishes with that they wanted to work on. 

This off-season however he's put in a lot of time into his right hand and has been using it much more often on his finishes.  Especially when it makes the most sense to do so. 

You have made the same post for the past 3 years...definition of "insanity"?

tenor.gif

#164 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 08, 2017 - 01:07 AM

If he's a Laker this time next year, then he either evolved into an unlikely superstar, or our free agency plans fell apart.

The more likely scenario is the one I fear. 

I agree.

But imo he's one of the few guys who at least has a chance to develop into a star which is something i dont see at all with Clarkson, Nance, Zu, Thomas and Hart. Maybe Kuzma.

The biggest problem though is that the Lakers might have to make a decision on Randle before the trade deadline. They cant go into the offseason with Clarkson and Deng on the books, so if they cant be moved by the deadline, they pretty much have to move Randle to aquire asset that'll help move the other guys.

• UKUGA likes this

#165 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,345 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 08, 2017 - 04:31 AM

I still don't get why lefties get crap for not being good with their off hand.

While Rightys don't.

Are there available stats on this and who among the leagues scores can be counted on either hand (those at 16+ points per)...Offhand (pun intended) i'd say at most offhand only accounts for maybe 2 points a game for even the most adept players at using them.

I think its ok to stay with your dominant hand and get the foul and head to the line vs trying to shoot with your awkward hand and rushing a terrible looking shot at the rim.

Guys like Lonzo and Ingram are different in that they have a smooth off hand, but most guys in the league don't.

I'd say conservatively 90+% stink with their off hand and rarely if ever use it

Edited by kball, September 08, 2017 - 04:34 AM.

• Majesty likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#166 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,554 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 08, 2017 - 10:53 AM

I still don't get why lefties get crap for not being good with their off hand.

While Rightys don't.

Are there available stats on this and who among the leagues scores can be counted on either hand (those at 16+ points per)...Offhand (pun intended) i'd say at most offhand only accounts for maybe 2 points a game for even the most adept players at using them.

I think its ok to stay with your dominant hand and get the foul and head to the line vs trying to shoot with your awkward hand and rushing a terrible looking shot at the rim.

Guys like Lonzo and Ingram are different in that they have a smooth off hand, but most guys in the league don't.

I'd say conservatively 90+% stink with their off hand and rarely if ever use it

It's simple.  It stands out because A) they only make up about 1/10 of the players in the league (maybe smaller), and 2) Lefties have a natural "awkwardness" that makes them odd to watch.

For whatever reason, the two sides of the the human body, even if symmetrical in design, function differently from one another.  It's apparently tied to the part of the brain that uses them, as functionally, there should really not be much, if any difference, in how the two sides operate. 

Sure, you can train yourself to do the exact same things with both side of your body, but in general, things tend to look different when using your off-hand/side.   A major league hitter's batting stance won't necessarily mirror itself when standing on the other side of the plate.   Watch the way the swing goes through the zone.  The left-handed swing looks different.

My brother is left-handed.  Always had a special knack for making shots at odd-angles that looked like they couldn't go in.  He couldn't explain it.  It was just natural.  And while he was a great shooter, his shot looked awkward enough, that at times, people thought he was shooting with the wrong hand.

People need to stand-up for lefties.  I condemn and disavow all criticism directed at lefties. 

• GCMD likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#167 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 12:18 PM

I'm a lefty.  I taught myself to shoot...and I can shoot with both hands.  As a lefty, you have a major advantage because people natural tendencies are to force you left on defense...they all have a hard time negotiating the crossover from right to left while getting faster going to the left...it's a killer.  I remember shooting with my right hand during warmups and switching to my left during games...threw people off.

The reason lefties get dinged for not going right is simple:  Most people are right handed and they can't understand why shooting with your right isn't the easiest thing in the world.  It's really NOT easy unless you work on it.

When I coached AAU, we taught our kids to work on both hands using the "C" drill and emphasized layups with both left and right hands as young as 8-10 y/o...my son has been training his left hand forever and now he can palm the ball with either hand...but for guys who didn't play AAU, it's hard to pick up their off hand as you get older.  Dexterity develops easier the younger you are.

I ding Randle for not having a right hand because he's a PROFESSIONAL.  There is NO EXCUSE for him to not be able to LAY-UP with his right-hand...I felt the same with LO.

But just so you know, I also ding right handed players who are SCORERS for not being able to layup with their left...most can.

Anyone one who gets PAID to play basketball should be able to layup and shoot the floater with either hand.  No excuse to not work on perfecting your craft.

• UKUGA likes this

tenor.gif

#168 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 07:49 PM

DJ0M-r0VYAAOPE1.jpg

DJ0M_TNUQAANjKJ.jpg

DJ0NAA9UQAA75ha.jpg

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#169 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 07:51 PM

trainao Do you have your ball on a string? @juliusrandle30 showing off his right here from DEEP. .
As a shooter the best place to hit is inside BACK rim. If you can consistently make shots and hit the back of the rim, the ball should come back to you. Try it out from the free throw line. Shoot til 5 come back. Then try to get 5 in a row. Then make it more challenging.

GT Interview with Julius Randle's trainer Amoila Cesar on all they've worked on, etc (great listen) 

https://soundcloud.c...at-amoila-cesar 

Speaking of GT, he's recently been invited to Lakers Media Day.  So great for him!! 

https://www.reddit.c..._news_with_you/

Edited by Majesty, September 15, 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#170 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 11:58 PM

Cant wait to see if Randle's offseason work will pay off. I think it will.

• Majesty likes this

#171 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,252 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 16, 2017 - 12:22 AM

new jerseys look so sick!!!!!!

• Majesty likes this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#172 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 03:46 PM

Alright so I was hearing on the Lakers snapchat and online yesterday that Randle seems to have gotten taller, and when next to Blake Griffin(whom is 6'10) that they seemed more or less the same height or that Jules was taller.  So I went looking for some evidence of that as I don't have the Lakers snapchat, luckily I found this on reddit from the event yesterday, 

ubzo7bnvj7mz.jpg

:o 

• Olabebeh likes this

#173 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 06:31 PM

Alright so I was hearing on the Lakers snapchat and online yesterday that Randle seems to have gotten taller, and when next to Blake Griffin(whom is 6'10) that they seemed more or less the same height or that Jules was taller.  So I went looking for some evidence of that as I don't have the Lakers snapchat, luckily I found this on reddit from the event yesterday, 

ubzo7bnvj7mz.jpg

:o

Shoes and one person is looking down and the other with their head up.  I slouch and people think I'm at least 3 inches shorter than what I am.  When I stand straight up, people don't recognize me.  Please, quit reaching.

tenor.gif

#174 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 04:28 AM

Blake's eyes are about at Randle's nose.  But alright let's play that game GCMD.

They aren't "slouching" here.  

DJzx9fvVYAAT8l1.jpg

Seems they're more or less the same height now. 

I know you don't want to believe it cause it's something positive about Randle, but that's far from a reach. ;)

But I know your answer

Edited by Majesty, September 20, 2017 - 04:38 AM.

#175 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 10:46 AM

Blake's eyes are about at Randle's nose.  But alright let's play that game GCMD.

They aren't "slouching" here.  

DJzx9fvVYAAT8l1.jpg

Seems they're more or less the same height now. 

I know you don't want to believe it cause it's something positive about Randle, but that's far from a reach. ;)

But I know your answer

You're quite the card.

I guess you include hair in someone's height.  If you don't, you see that BG is about 0.5-1" taller than Randle, which is where they have always been listed.

I STARTED this thread.  I WANT to have a positive outlook on Randle and I think he will improve this year.

The difference is he's going to improve because of the different style of play and tempo, not because he's suddenly become more skilled or added to his game.  You want to believe this (Randle is suddenly more talented) because it validates what you have been predicting and what you have been preaching for the past 3 years...conformational bias at it's best.

You have no rebuttal outside of calling me a hater.  I have asked you over and over to give me one post move or one go to move Randle has in the paint or on the perimeter outside of Bully Ball and you have yet to give me an answer.  I have asked you to provide me with one skill Randle has gained or one move he's acquired since being in the NBA...you ignore the question.

We ALL know that Randle has a very good natural scoring mentality and is good at physically dominating 1 defender 1-on-1...but that doesn't help the team unless every play leads to Randle going 1-on-1...especially when he lacks the ability to spread the floor, he's not a good passer, he doesn't set off ball screens and he doesn't understand the concept of moving without the ball.  

Enjoy the fact that he's going to be in a system and pace that will allow him to maximize some of his natural tendencies.  PLEASE stop trying to re-invent Randle with your "Alternative Facts"...

ezgif.com-add-text%20%281%29.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

#176 dazz

dazz

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 12:09 PM

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

Enjoy the fact that he's going to be in a system and pace that will allow him to maximize some of his natural tendencies.  

So all of a sudden he's now a good fit! Glad to hear that!

LMAO

• Majesty likes this

hsl17b.jpg

#177 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,215 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 21, 2017 - 05:46 PM

I dont care what kind of fit Randle is this year.  I hope he balls out but barring then missing out of Paul George it's likely he's not brought back or he is traded mid season depending on his improvement or lack thereof.  

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#178 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,598 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 21, 2017 - 09:00 PM

https://www.instagra.../p/BZU_RGPB0wK/

#179 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 10:44 PM

trainao My guy (@juliusrandle30) is focused this offseason. He isfrom the corner three right here.

Speaking of corner, training camp is around the corner!! Who is excited for the season to START? 

@shotanalysis #shotanalysis #shooting#lakers

Edited by Majesty, September 21, 2017 - 10:45 PM.

• DanishLakerFan likes this

#180 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 10:55 PM

One thing is hitting open 3s in practise without having anyone guard you, another is to do it in a game when someone is closing out.

But for Julius, i think being able to hit an open 3 will change his game completely because it forces the other team to defend him differently.

I'm so damn excited to see what Julius brings this season.

Hopefully he's hitting 3s at a clip that the other team wont allow him to shoot undefended.

Hopefully his physical transformation will improve his effectiveness on the defensive end.

Hopefully Bogut can help him to be a better defender and screen setter.

Hopefully some of Lonzo's ability to move the ball early will rub off on Julius as well.

• Majesty likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users