Photo

There are reasons to get excited about Julius Randle this year

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#141 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 21, 2017 - 01:28 AM

Julius Randle working on his jumpshot PART 4

Have fun! 

• K-Kris likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#142 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 21, 2017 - 12:40 PM

LOL...

tenor.gif

#143 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,981 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted August 21, 2017 - 02:30 PM

have fun with what?

• GCMD likes this

#144 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,437 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted August 21, 2017 - 05:19 PM

Lmao
  • GCMD likes this

#145 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,550 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 05:24 PM

Has anyone seen Julius Randle and Majesty in the same room at the same time? Just sayin.
  • GCMD, AnnoyingCustomer and KidRN like this

#146 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,706 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 27, 2017 - 10:53 PM

Good read

http://hoopshype.com..._source=twitter
  • dazz likes this

#147 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted August 28, 2017 - 08:27 AM

Very good read....if you're trying to get a rookie GM to take him or if you're trying to drive up his trade value.

Just like you can find a million things that D'Angelo Russell did before anyone else his age, you can do the same for Randle...but that doesn't change the fact that there are severe deficiencies in his game and skillsets.

My optimism for Randle has more to do with a change in circumstances and teammates than any change in Randle himself.  I wish people would get over the expectation of some mythical explosion of Randle's talent/skills and just accept that his growth will have to come from refocusing towards his strengths instead of re-inventing him as a player.

Find the role he's best suited for then allow his game to expand at a natural rate.   That's the only way the explosion can happen later.

Edited by GCMD, August 28, 2017 - 08:27 AM.

tenor.gif

#148 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,706 posts

Posted August 29, 2017 - 06:03 AM

^^Always glass-half-empty with you.

To me its about having a guy who has a lot of raw talent, whose shown a lot of improvement from year 1 to year 2.

• Majesty and Rekal like this

#149 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,550 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 04:12 PM

Alright...going to share a new video of Randle getting some shots up from today. These have been posted all summer and I've brushed them off, but this one stands out to me.

Mechanics are the biggest part of getting a good shot up. Randle's previous jumper was a two-motion release. It involved a hitch as he brought the ball up to the release point. There's nothing wrong with this release and it works for a lot of players (Kobe, LeBron among many). Great for fadeaway shots and contested midrange jumpers.

It looks like he's changed to a much more fluid one-motion jump shot (think Steph Curry or Harden). Everything is fluid and one motion. This is optimal for three point shots because it gives your shot a higher arc and it's quicker and smoother with it being one motion. Watch as he brings the ball up above his head. No more pausing, no more of a hitch. Its a good sign, and it's going to yield better in-game results.

Edit: Longer version

NOW I'm excited.

Edited by Massacre, September 04, 2017 - 07:41 PM.

• bfc1125roy, Majesty and dazz like this

#150 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,437 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted September 04, 2017 - 04:28 PM

Am I the only person that doesn't care about Randle?

Unless this guy goes 20 10 and becomes a top 5 PF in the NBA, he won't be on our team past next season.
  • GCMD likes this

#151 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,550 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 04:39 PM

Unless this guy goes 20 10 and becomes a top 5 PF in the NBA, he won't be on our team past next season.

I could see him being moved at some point this season, but I could also see us retaining him next summer if all we're able to get is PG. The market for RFA's is slowly dying down as teams don't want to throw out big offer sheets and tie up cap space. The Nets are desperate for a PF, so they do scare me however.

I've said this before, but I think the front office is higher on Randle than most fans and people on this forum. Not Ingram or Ball high, but I think Magic, and Luke especially still think he can be a part of this team moving forward.

We'll see what happens...but if the chance to get both Bron and PG is there, then he's out.

Edited by Massacre, September 04, 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#152 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 08:09 PM

Hello...remember me?  LOL.  Hoping against hope that he plays well this year because of this style and teammates are a better fit.  Still think there is little to no chance he's here this time next year.

• UKUGA likes this

tenor.gif

#153 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,671 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 04, 2017 - 09:41 PM

Luke loves Randle and i see him unless it strictly prohibits and Bron and George combo.

#154 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,706 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 12:30 AM

No, surely GCMD doesn't give a [expletive] about the guy either.

But you are right. Randle would have to make major strides forward in order to stick around next season given the FA targets the Lakers are looking at as well as the current depth at that position on the team.

At the same time, he has a lot of upside and i think he's the kind of player that could land us assets that'll help us move Deng.

#155 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 05, 2017 - 06:47 AM

So basically Blake Griffin and AD or bust?

Id rather see 17/12/5 and make the lakers think very hard about what they have. And what that may be worth in trade or retaining him.

I think its likely he has a better season than Ingram

Edited by kball, September 05, 2017 - 06:50 AM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#156 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,281 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 05, 2017 - 07:31 AM

Randle has been draining 3s for the past 3 offseasons.  Until we see it consistently in a game I'm not excited.  Hell, I saw Javale Mcgee raining 3s this week like butter. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#157 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 05, 2017 - 08:51 AM

Randle has been draining 3s for the past 3 offseasons.  Until we see it consistently in a game I'm not excited.  Hell, I saw Javale Mcgee raining 3s this week like butter. 

Did he do it on the right basket though?

Edited by kball, September 05, 2017 - 08:52 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#158 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,550 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 10:32 AM

Randle has been draining 3s for the past 3 offseasons. Until we see it consistently in a game I'm not excited. Hell, I saw Javale Mcgee raining 3s this week like butter.

I'm definitely excited he finally changed that terrible ass form. Hopefully we see some in-game results this time.
  • Majesty likes this

#159 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 05, 2017 - 10:10 PM

Alright...going to share a new video of Randle getting some shots up from today. These have been posted all summer and I've brushed them off, but this one stands out to me.

Mechanics are the biggest part of getting a good shot up. Randle's previous jumper was a two-motion release. It involved a hitch as he brought the ball up to the release point. There's nothing wrong with this release and it works for a lot of players (Kobe, LeBron among many). Great for fadeaway shots and contested midrange jumpers.

It looks like he's changed to a much more fluid one-motion jump shot (think Steph Curry or Harden). Everything is fluid and one motion. This is optimal for three point shots because it gives your shot a higher arc and it's quicker and smoother with it being one motion. Watch as he brings the ball up above his head. No more pausing, no more of a hitch. Its a good sign, and it's going to yield better in-game results.

Edit: Longer version

NOW I'm excited.

Nice analysis! 

• Massacre likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#160 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,577 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 06, 2017 - 06:58 AM

Hello...remember me?  LOL.  Hoping against hope that he plays well this year because of this style and teammates are a better fit.  Still think there is little to no chance he's here this time next year.

If he's a Laker this time next year, then he either evolved into an unlikely superstar, or our free agency plans fell apart.

The more likely scenario is the one I fear. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users