1261 replies to this topic

#1241 DLN

DLN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,495 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 18, 2018 - 11:06 PM

I wonder what's going through Julius Randle's mind right now?  I think he earned more money here compared to his worth at the beginning of the season but does he see himself as a top 5 or top 10 Free Agent?

Is Randle trying to recruit for the Lakers or is he being recruited by other players for a new team (Dallas?)?

He's probably trying to figure out where the tipping point is in terms of wanting to stay with the Lakers and getting his next big contract. He probably would love to get paid in LA, but he knows perfectly well that George and Lebron are the main FA targets right now.

Another thing is whether or not he's even getting an offer from someone else. Dallas have been rumored as a potential destination, but they're likely going to draft a player in the top end of the lottery. With Dennis Smith they're not going to pick Trae Young and i'm not sure where Randle fits along all the bigs that are available (Ayton, JJJ, Bamba, Carter and Bagley).

• GCMD likes this

#1242 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,875 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 19, 2018 - 01:38 AM

Does anyone else here believe that alot of Randle's success has to due with the role, position, and type of play that Luke has allowed/provided for him?

I personally believe it would be very difficult for Randle to post up number close to what he did if placed on a team like Dallas or other option.

• GCMD, bfc1125roy, Jody Smokes and 1 other like this

#1243 DLN

DLN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,495 posts

Posted April 19, 2018 - 03:00 AM

Does anyone else here believe that alot of Randle's success has to due with the role, position, and type of play that Luke has allowed/provided for him?

I personally believe it would be very difficult for Randle to post up number close to what he did if placed on a team like Dallas or other option.

To some degree.

But he's been starting and come off the bench as both a 4 and a 5 this season in both low and high minutes, so he'll probably be fine as long as he is actually used as shot-creator/maker in the offense, and not just a roleplayer.

#1244 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted April 19, 2018 - 05:37 AM

RE: Randle, I don't think there are as many suitors and as much cheddar as some may think and I think Julius has to know this.

#1245 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,342 posts

Posted April 19, 2018 - 11:26 PM

bTM0io8.png

The paint area has become Randle's bread and butter and will continue to be so. 62% on lay-ups and 48% on hook-shots are NBA-elite numbers, even better than some notable bigs such as Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins. We have done several mistakes in developing him, and one of them was to push him off the painted area and wanting him to become a consistent jumper - which in retrospect sounds ridiculous considering his ineffectiveness on his jumpers and effectiveness on other areas. We call that bully ball, but he's made a name for himself in Kentucky just for that. He carried that team to NCAA Finals just doing that. And continuing to grow his body and adding muscle, he's become as much effective in NBA as he was in his lone freshman year. And he is still 23. I believe sky is the limit for Randle. If he can work on his post-up game and try to add some crafty moves (watch McHale's clips Randle please), then he can be a superstar.

I really hope we keep him.

• UKUGA likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#1246 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,178 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 21, 2018 - 12:13 PM

This is one of the only offenses that allows Randle to play small ball 5 almost exclusively.  Lopez's 3 spaces the floor for Randle well.  The speed we play gives him a HUGE advantage vs most 5s in the open court.

Can Randle be a star in other systems?  Sure...but he will need a LOT of shooters surrounding him and the offense needs to feature Randle's post game...

IMHO, Randle is worth 15M/yr to us.  To other teams?  He's likely a Faried/Dieng type impact role player.

Edited by GCMD, April 21, 2018 - 12:13 PM.

• bfc1125roy and LACAS like this

tenor.gif

#1247 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,156 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted April 21, 2018 - 05:03 PM

I think that probably fits most good role players or fringe all stars to some degree.  He definitely could get numbers but the team would be total [expletive] if Randle is the feature player.  

• GCMD, LakeShow1o1 and lakerfan98 like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#1248 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,996 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted April 21, 2018 - 05:49 PM

Yea you see it in football more imo with a player not being able to play at his previous level with a new coach, system, role but it def happens in basketball. Randle with Jordan, Whiteside, Howard, Drummond would be painful to watch. Pre-injury Boogie, Towns, Porzingis, AD are nice complimets. Or Wall Mart versions like Lopez and Olynyk lol
  • GCMD and Jody Smokes like this

#1249 dazz

dazz

• 1,309 posts

Posted April 23, 2018 - 06:10 AM

The paint area has become Randle's bread and butter and will continue to be so. 62% on lay-ups and 48% on hook-shots are NBA-elite numbers, even better than some notable bigs such as Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins. We have done several mistakes in developing him, and one of them was to push him off the painted area and wanting him to become a consistent jumper - which in retrospect sounds ridiculous considering his ineffectiveness on his jumpers and effectiveness on other areas. We call that bully ball, but he's made a name for himself in Kentucky just for that. He carried that team to NCAA Finals just doing that. And continuing to grow his body and adding muscle, he's become as much effective in NBA as he was in his lone freshman year. And he is still 23. I believe sky is the limit for Randle. If he can work on his post-up game and try to add some crafty moves (watch McHale's clips Randle please), then he can be a superstar.

I really hope we keep him.

It may sound ridiculous... in retrospect, but hindsight is 20/20.

The way I see it, it made sense to try to develop his jumper (and it probably still does). Randle wasn't great at the rim his first season. Not bad but not great either. He happened to improve there to the point of becoming an elite finisher down low, while remaining a poor shooter. Well, fine, it's doesn't look like all those shooting drills payed off much, but they also didn't hinder his overall development.

Shooting is something everybody not named Shaq needs to work on, even if it's only to make FTs at a decent clip. 71% is not good enough

2s6lb11.jpg

#1250 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,178 posts

Posted April 23, 2018 - 10:27 PM

Randle is just now getting back to what he did at UK.  He regressed in most aspects of the game for his first 3 NBA seasons.

The notion that this year's production - which is similar in most aspects to his college production/efficiency - means "the sky's the limit" is not accurate.  If anything, it should indicate that Randle has a specific role that he will excel at and that should be his focus until he can perfect it.

Randle and his supporters have been missing the point - stay on the horse you rode in on.  He was a lottery pick because of his strength and his bully ball, not his 3 or his passing.  He has a MUCH better chance of reaching his potential that way.

I hope everyone can NOW agree that Randle was not OK before this year.  H Snkc Xnt Rn...

• bfc1125roy likes this

tenor.gif

#1251 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted April 24, 2018 - 03:26 PM

Every time i see these words together i think back about 10 years ago to that What-the-hell-did-she-just-say moment in the miss teen USA pageant. When some blond was asked a question and her answer kept getting worse and worse to the point of cringe and horror.

Miss South Carolina

Edited by kball, April 24, 2018 - 03:27 PM.

• GCMD and Busty Bluth like this

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#1252 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted April 24, 2018 - 03:30 PM

BTW really liking the strong posts of Tensei like the one above.

Tensei strings many good ones together.

And every once in a while the occasional head scratcher

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#1253 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,178 posts

Posted April 25, 2018 - 01:00 PM

Every time i see these words together i think back about 10 years ago to that What-the-hell-did-she-just-say moment in the miss teen USA pageant. When some blond was asked a question and her answer kept getting worse and worse to the point of cringe and horror.

Miss South Carolina

Yeah...definitely was an embarrassment to me and 99% of South Carolina.

tenor.gif

#1254 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted April 25, 2018 - 08:15 PM

Yeah.

I also think Brook Lopez really helped out Randle. Brook being able to play away from the basket allowed Randle to be a PF while having the paint by himself.

I think Lopez should be brought back if Randle is brought back.

#1255 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,342 posts

Posted April 25, 2018 - 10:15 PM

Brook is underrated as hell. He is one of the best offensive big man in the league. Elite extraordinaire even.

kU7jcvw.png

Edited by Tensai, April 25, 2018 - 10:17 PM.

• Adam likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#1256 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,861 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 26, 2018 - 07:40 AM

Brook is underrated as hell. He is one of the best offensive big man in the league. Elite extraordinaire even.

kU7jcvw.png

His game completely turned around when they started using him more in the post like they did in Brooklyn.

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#1257 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,861 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 26, 2018 - 07:44 AM

#1258 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 462 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted June 25, 2018 - 10:20 PM

yo!! anyone have any news about what randle has been up to so far this off season? 

Last year there were all sorts of stuff; especially about his conditioning. Haven't heard anything really so far

#1259 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 797 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted June 25, 2018 - 11:02 PM

it's weird, lakers staff really isn't mentioning julius this offseason. all the focus is on kuz, hart, BI, and zo. i think randle is gone in a s/t to unload deng, once PG and LBJ sign.

yo!! anyone have any news about what randle has been up to so far this off season? 

Last year there were all sorts of stuff; especially about his conditioning. Haven't heard anything really so far

Edited by MambaMentality, June 25, 2018 - 11:02 PM.

#1260 dazz

dazz

• 1,309 posts

Posted June 25, 2018 - 11:21 PM

Apparently we'll get to see Bonga in action in the summer league

https://www.cbssport...-summer-league/

2s6lb11.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)