Photo

There are reasons to get excited about Julius Randle this year

• Please log in to reply
629 replies to this topic

#101 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 25, 2017 - 01:24 PM

Randle has less than a 13M cap hold just for the record. 

And I knew GCMD would be the one that overreacted to the Drew League video. :D 

If you're judging drew league on defense identity then you haven't been paying attention.  NBA guys always go half speed at Drew League, it's the people they play against that try to go full bore at them.  But when NBA guys turn it up slightly you see the skill gap.

If we're gonna take that so seriously we may as well assume Randle is gonna get 5 blocks a game next season as well, as he got 28/18 with 5 blocks that game after he turned it up a little after the guy tried to dunk on him twice.   That guy was the same guy that tried to fight Metta last year in Drew League, so he makes habit of goading/pissing off NBA players.   Prior to trying to dunk on Randle a 2nd time, for 3 quarters Randle played at about half speed, like Young and Derozan also were, and the other team got brave.   

But after he dunked on Randle and then tried to do it a 2nd time, Randle replied back with a big block at the other end, and Derozan and Young and Randle turned it up, and wound up winning, with them dominating the 4th quarter and winning the game. 

The guy who huffed and puffed his chest, proved to be a determent for him and his team because Randle turned it up a little, dominated and mean mugged the guy whenever he got the chance, Derozan and Young followed suit, and that guys team got beat. 

It's best to not poke the bear, especially with the skill gap. 

Edited by Majesty, July 25, 2017 - 01:38 PM.

• K-Kris and Rekal like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#102 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 25, 2017 - 07:23 PM

Why are we analyzing Drew league games lol

• FranklinPeanuts, Majesty, K-Kris and 3 others like this

#103 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,548 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 07:46 PM

Why are we analyzing Drew league games lol

Yeah lol, this is kind of worse than SL...at least everyone is a first or second year player competing against their peers. I'm not going to waste my time analyzing legit NBA players against D2 fallouts and other scrubs.

Edited by Massacre, July 25, 2017 - 07:46 PM.

• Majesty likes this

#104 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 761 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted July 25, 2017 - 08:58 PM

Next up: we analyze NBA players playing Horse at Venice beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Majesty likes this

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#105 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 25, 2017 - 09:08 PM

Randle has less than a 13M cap hold just for the record. 

And I knew GCMD would be the one that overreacted to the Drew League video. :D 

If you're judging drew league on defense identity then you haven't been paying attention.  NBA guys always go half speed at Drew League, it's the people they play against that try to go full bore at them.  But when NBA guys turn it up slightly you see the skill gap.

If we're gonna take that so seriously we may as well assume Randle is gonna get 5 blocks a game next season as well, as he got 28/18 with 5 blocks that game after he turned it up a little after the guy tried to dunk on him twice.   That guy was the same guy that tried to fight Metta last year in Drew League, so he makes habit of goading/pissing off NBA players.   Prior to trying to dunk on Randle a 2nd time, for 3 quarters Randle played at about half speed, like Young and Derozan also were, and the other team got brave.   

But after he dunked on Randle and then tried to do it a 2nd time, Randle replied back with a big block at the other end, and Derozan and Young and Randle turned it up, and wound up winning, with them dominating the 4th quarter and winning the game. 

The guy who huffed and puffed his chest, proved to be a determent for him and his team because Randle turned it up a little, dominated and mean mugged the guy whenever he got the chance, Derozan and Young followed suit, and that guys team got beat. 

It's best to not poke the bear, especially with the skill gap. 

Yes, because I have NEVER seen Randle play before...?

Everyone who thinks I would conclude everything about Randle from those clips, you need to stop right there...that's stupid.  And I don't care how it sounds, it's STUPID.

I've been tracking Randle since high school (via my son).  The idea that we can't see a difference in Randle's game (with over 5 years from high school to NBA) because it's DREW LEAGUE is stupid.  A change in his game is most likely apparent in ANY setting...

In FACT, Drew League would be the PERFECT PLACE for Randle to showcase skills he was working on for the NBA.  The lower competition means he should and would look BETTER, not the same...which is what I said - Same, Same, Same.

Edited by GCMD, July 25, 2017 - 09:11 PM.

tenor.gif

#106 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 10:25 PM

yes and in GCMD's mind 28/18 and 5 blocks against Drew League competition isn't looking "better" against lower competition.  Now I see why I decided to never discuss Randle with you.  Anyway moving on.  For the record he showcased a right hand plenty of times and hit a few jumpers as well, but I doubt that'd be enough to sate you.  If Randle had hit 4 threes you'd likely say "yeah against Drew League competition, let's see how it works against NBA competition.  I Know you want to believe..but I just don't see it.".  So no point in getting into it with you when it comes to Randle.   Moving on now however to better news. 

Edited by Majesty, July 25, 2017 - 10:30 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#107 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 10:33 PM

Shot Analysis & Julius Randle - Training Session (Official Recap) 

How Julius Randle’s improved conditioning could jumpstart upcoming Lakers’ season 

The game looked easy for Julius Randle, as he bullied his opponents with drives to the basket at one end of the court and blocked shots at the rim at the other. 

Granted, Randle performed these duties in recent pickup games at the Drew League, the L.A. pro-am league that features assorted players from the NBA, overseas and college teams. After devoting his offseason to conditioning drills, usually three times a day, though, Randle believes he can show the same kind of speed and mobility wearing a Lakers uniform. 

“I’ll be able to move and not have to think about it,” Randle said. “It will be effortless.” 

That’s because Randle said he currently weighs 243 pounds at 6 percent body fat after playing last season with a 258-pound frame at 13 percent body fat. Randle said he focused more on following through on the Lakers’ request that he improve his conditioning than worrying about them including him in the failed Paul George trade proposals. 

“That stuff is not in my control,” Randle said. “What happened and what didn’t, I don’t know. But at the end of the day, all I can control is just me working on my game and get prepared for the next season.” 

To do that, Randle teamed up with personal trainer Amolia Cesar and “completely changed my lifestyle.” Randle respectfully declined to state his goals for his fourth NBA season, but he sounded optimistic because he’s “just locked in.” 

Randle, who started all of last season, also believed the Lakers can “do a lot of damage” with several options at the power forward spot. That includes Randle, third-year forward Larry Nance Jr., rookie forward Kyle Kuzma and possibly veteran forward Luol Deng. 

“Trying to play positionless basketball,” Randle said. “We’ll all be able to work together.” 
http://www.ocregiste...-lakers-season/ 

Good news! 

• Michaelyumm,     and K-Kris like this

#108 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,699 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 25, 2017 - 11:22 PM

We have very different definitions of "Superstar"...

Shrink the sample size to whatever you need to fit what you want to believe.

He CAN'T shoot...just like I don't know if that will change, neither do you.  I'm working off best evidence, not extrapolation using a selective sample out of a reasonably sized data set...and again with the Clarkson comparisons...every time someone brings up Randle (#7 pick), you bring up Clarkson (#46 pick)...why is that?

Oh, no...I CAN say that as of right now, he's not a good shooter.  Doesn't matter what he does in practice or 1-on-none...there is NO GAME TAPE that shows him being proficient over a reasonably sized data set.  Your "end of the season" is proof of nothing, much like Lonzo's Summer League 3pt % was was not large enough to negate the larger sample size of an entire college season.

You want me to prove a negative?  I don't have to.  You can't prove that anything WILL change...and that's the true burden of proof.

If that's the case, Kuzma is DEFINITELY a better shooter than Randle and will DEFINITELY steal his minutes...all based on SL.  If you want to use truncated data, so can I.

Both are under contract past this season...Randle is a TO.  We can't control if another team will take Clarkson/Deng.  We can control if we give Randle the QO.

Again, Clarkson.  You can't seem to separate those 2.  They are not related or connected.  Renouncing Randle is easier and he's not going to be worth anywhere near what it will cost to keep him.  1 year of even average player will get him 16-22M/yr...I'd be cautious paying ANY young player that has been that inconsistent based on 1 year.

He's also been talked up to drive up his trade value.  If they can use him to move Deng for cap space, they will do it in a heartbeat.

On the court, Randle is like Derrick Rose as far as his fit, based on his career until now.  Not a good shooter, needs the ball to create, stops the flow to create his own shot, not the best decision maker.  I believe there is a better chance Randle buys in this year because he needs to if he wants to get paid.  Lonzo and Luke will help but if Randle doesn't change his approach, he will be moved ASAP.

I’m not shrinking the sample size at all. The was a significant uptick in 3pt attempts the two last months of the season where he started shooting close to 2 per game and it makes a lot of sense to look at those numbers instead of those before, where he didn’t shoot regularly. I’m not sure why you would argue otherwise.

I’ve never argued that Randle will be a good shooter, but looking at the numbers suggest that he has a chance to be a good – or passable – shooter. You’re saying he won’t be based on the fact that he isn’t right now, which imo is the wrong way of looking at things. Not sure why you think Clarkson’s draft position is relevant.

Discussing this [expletive] with you really gets tiring, since you’ve proven time and time again, that you hold a grudge against the guy. I mean, if Blake Griffin is a “sniper” like you suggest, then it’s tough to take you seriously.

Regarding the offseason. Randle is a RFA, not a team option. There’s a difference since we can use his 12.4M cap hold if we want to be able to match whatever offer he gets. In my opinion the best chance we have to make a splash in free agency in 2018 is if we work hard towards moving both Clarkson and Deng this season because that gives us the most options.

• Busty Bluth and Majesty like this

#109 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,529 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 26, 2017 - 12:40 AM

Next up: we analyze NBA players playing Horse at Venice beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the day we used to play 'Whores', instead of Horse.

Lot funnier, sounded same, and 1 extra letter!

Ahhh, good times

Edited by kball, July 26, 2017 - 12:41 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#110 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 02:47 AM

Julius Randle working on his Jumpshot 3

Enjoy! :) 

• K-Kris likes this

#111 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,263 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted August 04, 2017 - 06:23 AM

congratulations julius randle 4 marriage

• Majesty likes this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#112 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,246 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 04, 2017 - 09:02 PM

Something that I still find strange in Randle's shot is that he rarely if ever squares up his feet towards the basket.  Both of his feet are usually pointed at a 50-60 degree angle towards his right side which I kind of have mixed feelings about.  I know there are a good amount of shooters whom don't square towards the hoop, but most of the best and consistent shooters do an excellent job of doing so.

#113 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,548 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 09:04 PM

It irritates me when players nonchalantly go through drills. Practice how you play.
  • GCMD likes this

#114 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,556 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 10:51 PM

It irritates me when players nonchalantly go through drills. Practice how you play.

That's why D'Angelo Russell was traded.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#115 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,378 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted August 05, 2017 - 04:12 AM

That's why D'Angelo Russell was traded.

This cant be good for Randle...

#116 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted August 05, 2017 - 03:01 PM

Video of KCP Casually shooting threes

Response: HE'S GONNA BEAST NEXT YEAR! GET IN THAT WORK!! 

Video of Randle Casually shooting threes

Response: WHY IS HE GOING SO SLOW?!? PRACTICE AT GAME SPEED!!! 

:D

Edited by Majesty, August 05, 2017 - 03:02 PM.

• Rekal likes this

#117 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,980 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted August 05, 2017 - 03:04 PM

AGREE 1000000%

Edited by FranklinPeanuts, August 05, 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#118 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 809 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5

Posted August 05, 2017 - 04:35 PM

Video of KCP Casually shooting threes

Response: HE'S GONNA BEAST NEXT YEAR! GET IN THAT WORK!!

Video of Randle Casually shooting threes

Response: WHY IS HE GOING SO SLOW?!? PRACTICE AT GAME SPEED!!!

:D

😂😂😂

#119 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,437 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted August 05, 2017 - 05:20 PM

We see videos of Randle shooting every season.
  • GCMD likes this

#120 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 05, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Every year we say the same thing... we should be excited for this coming year coz of him and we end up with inconsistent work...
  • GCMD likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users