• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#81 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 07:43 PM

I think the front office and Luke love Randle much more than what's believed. I don't see him getting an extension, and I don't know if he'll be back, but in the scenario where the Lakers get 1 max FA (George for example), then I wouldn't be surprised to see him back. Assuming nobody offers him a ridiculous offer sheet (looking at the Nets).

The RFA market dried down this season, aside from Otto Porter. Teams are reluctant to tie up that cap space for multiple days, knowing offer sheets will be matched.

Edited by Massacre, July 24, 2017 - 07:44 PM.

#82 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,551 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:38 PM

Overpaid? Compared to who?

He's being paid like a quality starter and he's best as a back-up 1 or 2 / 3rd or 4th guard on a decent team.

• Julien likes this

#83 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,551 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:41 PM

I think the front office and Luke love Randle much more than what's believed. I don't see him getting an extension, and I don't know if he'll be back, but in the scenario where the Lakers get 1 max FA (George for example), then I wouldn't be surprised to see him back. Assuming nobody offers him a ridiculous offer sheet (looking at the Nets).

The RFA market dried down this season, aside from Otto Porter. Teams are reluctant to tie up that cap space for multiple days, knowing offer sheets will be matched.

I actually agree with this.

Would love to see us run out Lonzo - KCP - Ingram - Randle - Boogie in 2018/19 and try to win with that.

• Adam likes this

#84 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:52 PM

Would love to see us run out Lonzo - KCP - Ingram - Randle - Boogie in 2018/19 and try to win with that.

You don't TOUCH DMC unless LeBron is the leader on this team.

DMC is a cancer...he's the opposite of what you want as the "best player" on your team and NONE of those other players come CLOSE to challenging him there.

I'd rather stand pat with Brook Lopez than add DMC to this YOUNG squad by himself.  NO...BAD Danish, BAD.

• DanishLakerFan and Jody Smokes like this

tenor.gif

#85 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,551 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:53 PM

NO...BAD Danish, BAD.

Lol. That's a first.

• GCMD likes this

#86 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,551 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:56 PM

DMC would be nice though and if he could buy into the Lonzo-style of moving the ball, i think he'd be the ideal 5 to have.

• androsays likes this

#87 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:58 PM

Oh my...Luke has his work cut out for him...

Same defense.

Same handles.

Same conditioning.

Let's hope Lonzo is the key to unlocking more from Randle...if not, we should move him, like, N-O-W.

• LACAS likes this

tenor.gif

#88 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,197 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 11:00 PM

Randle is the cheapest way to attain superstar big. That is why motivating him to become one & believing in him for the rest of the season is must, which is what the FO and Luke is trying to accomplish.

From earlier, here are the players that have averaged 15+ ppg 10+ rpg 3+ apg & 1+ 3pfg per game:

16/17 - DeMarcus Cousins (27ppg 11rpg 4.6apg 1.8 3pfg with 1.4 spg & 1.3 bpg)

16/17 - Russell Westbrook (31.6ppg 10.7rpg 10.4apg 2.5 3pfg with 1.6 spg & 0.4 bpg)

15/16 - DeMarcus Cousins (26.9ppg 11.5rpg 3.3apg 1.1 3pfg with 1.6 spg & 1.4 bpg)

13/14 - Kevin Love (26.1ppg 12.5rpg 4.4apg 2.5 3pfg with 0.8 spg & 0.5 bpg)

97/98 - Antoine Walker (22.4ppg 10.2rpg 3.3apg 1.1 3pfg with 1.7 spg & 0.7 bpg)

96/97 - Charles Barkley (19.2ppg 13.5rpg 4.7apg 1.1 3pfg with 1.3 spg & 0.5 bpg)

94/95 - Charles Barkley (23.0ppg 11.1rpg 4.1apg 1.1 3pfg with 1.6 spg & 0.7 bpg)

Randle should be among that group with his body of work. Rebounding has been there since college. We are not asking him to score much. He improved on his passing so assist is there too. So only thing he has to add this offseason consistent 3-point shooting (at least one field goal per game) and defensive stats. If he does these things, to hell with Cousins or Paul George.

Edited by Tensai, July 24, 2017 - 11:01 PM.

• Adam likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#89 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 11:12 PM

I'm very interested in what you think makes Randle interesting to Luke and Magic...

He can't spread the floor like the offense needs...

He would eat up part of the cap in 2018 Offseason making it hard to land 2 max Free Agents.

I have high hopes for Randle but there is very little chance he's here Training Camp 2018...my optimism is based on the pace and Lonzo Ball, not Randle...

tenor.gif

#90 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,551 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 11:40 PM

I'm very interested in what you think makes Randle interesting to Luke and Magic...

He would eat up part of the cap in 2018 Offseason making it hard to land 2 max Free Agents.

I have high hopes for Randle but there is very little chance he's here Training Camp 2018...my optimism is based on the pace and Lonzo Ball, not Randle...

Here we go again.

Randle spreading the floor: We dont know whether he develops a 3 or not. Until the last few months of last season, shooting 3s weren't a part of his game, but for march and april at the end of the season, when he started actually shooting 3s, he was hitting about 31.4% (the same exact number Clarkson shot as a rookie). Now we dont know if that was an outlier and he's really a 25% shooter, which would suck, or if he coulud bump his accuracy a little bit to about 35% which is league average.

The fact of the matter is that you cant say for certain that he wont be able to spread the floor. But the fact that he ended the season shooting the way he did and that he's working on his 3pt shot during the summer are good signs.

2018 offseason. Randle's cap hold is 12.4M so if we can shed Deng and Clarkson we can sign two max guys and still keep Randle. If we shed Clarkson and stretch Deng, we can still make it to 60M in cap space, which should be enough for two 30%-max guys as well. IMO the main objective is to shed both Clarkson and Deng to give us the extra flexibility we need to make moves.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#91 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 12:00 AM

What makes Randle interesting to Luke and Magic is the addition of Lonzo. Both have been on record this summer saying they expect Randle to have a breakout season (their exact words), and that they're excited to see him run the floor with Lonzo and get out in transition.

He's been the most highly talked of Laker outside of Ingram and Ball.

We'll see what happens. I'm not big on his fit here, but if his shot improves, they might consider him worth keeping.
  • GCMD likes this

#92 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,220 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 25, 2017 - 03:52 AM

Oh my...Luke has his work cut out for him...

Same defense.

Same handles.

Same conditioning.

Let's hope Lonzo is the key to unlocking more from Randle...if not, we should move him, like, N-O-W.

I was thinking the same thing, I kept asking myself "am I not seeing something?"

I watched the Drew League videos and I didn't see anything new or different, looks the same minus some body fat.

• GCMD likes this

#93 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,059 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 25, 2017 - 04:07 AM

Randle is the cheapest way to attain superstar big. That is why motivating him to become one & believing in him for the rest of the season is must, which is what the FO and Luke is trying to accomplish.

From earlier, here are the players that have averaged 15+ ppg 10+ rpg 3+ apg & 1+ 3pfg per game:

16/17 - Russell Westbrook (31.6ppg 10.7rpg 10.4apg 2.5 3pfg with 1.6 spg & 0.4 bpg)

15/16 - DeMarcus Cousins (26.9ppg 11.5rpg 3.3apg 1.1 3pfg with 1.6 spg & 1.4 bpg)

96/97 - Charles Barkley (19.2ppg 13.5rpg 4.7apg 1.1 3pfg with 1.3 spg & 0.5 bpg)

94/95 - Charles Barkley (23.0ppg 11.1rpg 4.1apg 1.1 3pfg with 1.6 spg & 0.7 bpg)

Randle should be among that group with his body of work. Rebounding has been there since college. We are not asking him to score much. He improved on his passing so assist is there too. So only thing he has to add this offseason consistent 3-point shooting (at least one field goal per game) and defensive stats. If he does these things, to hell with Cousins or Paul George.

Was that a reference to a post earlier of needing 16/12/3/1/1 from Randle or cutting him loose?

Was that a threshold no one has been able to reach then?

Randle may not even want to be here longer. Who knows?

I'm not sure i care about him being a 3 point savant if he's a beast everywhere else and makes a difference in game outcomes.

I think he impacted games on an irregular basis last season, and if he just evens out his effort and turns up his motor, i think he can be a really good complimentary piece to a winning team.

Having said that i know he's been firing up a ton of 3's this offseason, but i have my doubts that will translate to him becoming a good shooter.

I'd be thrilled if he's among lead leaders in rebounds, points in the paint, fg% and hits free throws at 80% this season.

Edited by kball, July 25, 2017 - 04:07 AM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#94 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,220 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 25, 2017 - 04:21 AM

How about some hard nose D and big man screens?

• GCMD, Olabebeh and Adam like this

#95 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,059 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 25, 2017 - 04:32 AM

Yeah. Those.

Should go talk with Rick Mahorn a little.

That dude could set a pick 

• GCMD and LACAS like this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#96 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,153 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 25, 2017 - 06:20 AM

Win what? Boogie and Randle front line?  No thanks. 

• GCMD, kidpolean and Olabebeh like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#97 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,197 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 06:36 AM

Was that a reference to a post earlier of needing 16/12/3/1/1 from Randle or cutting him loose?

Was that a threshold no one has been able to reach then?

Randle may not even want to be here longer. Who knows?

I'm not sure i care about him being a 3 point savant if he's a beast everywhere else and makes a difference in game outcomes.

I think he impacted games on an irregular basis last season, and if he just evens out his effort and turns up his motor, i think he can be a really good complimentary piece to a winning team.

Having said that i know he's been firing up a ton of 3's this offseason, but i have my doubts that will translate to him becoming a good shooter.

I'd be thrilled if he's among lead leaders in rebounds, points in the paint, fg% and hits free throws at 80% this season.

Other than 12 rpg, which is his career average per36, those categories are simply what must happen for him for next season. I mean, what is the holdout? We are talking about Nance Jr. and Kuzma stealing his bread ffs. It is not like his competition is Paul Millsap.

And he has to shoot 3s. It is not an option. If you watched the summer league team, you would see how Travis Wear and Kuzma spread the floor with Ball dishing it out, and it clicked whole another level. In NBA you have to be able to punish what the defense gives you, and lucky for him in his contract season the teams will probably leave him open on a lot occasions because of his past struggles. If he takes care of the business now, he can go to next level. Personally I would want a big that can do bit of every thing on the floor like Odom did back in the day. Ironically though, Kuzma looks to be that guy and not Randle, which pisses me off more.

fXlFKv8.gif

#98 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 1,164 posts
  • Fan Since:Mid 80's

Posted July 25, 2017 - 06:51 AM

Lonzo loves to go after defensive rebounds to get the offense going A.S.A.P. I can see that having a significant impact on Randle's rebound average

• GCMD likes this

2lc8cvr.jpg

#99 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 09:05 AM

We have very different definitions of "Superstar"...

Here we go again.

Randle spreading the floor: We dont know whether he develops a 3 or not. Until the last few months of last season, shooting 3s weren't a part of his game, but for march and april at the end of the season, when he started actually shooting 3s, he was hitting about 31.4% (the same exact number Clarkson shot as a rookie). Now we dont know if that was an outlier and he's really a 25% shooter, which would suck, or if he coulud bump his accuracy a little bit to about 35% which is league average.

Shrink the sample size to whatever you need to fit what you want to believe.

He CAN'T shoot...just like I don't know if that will change, neither do you.  I'm working off best evidence, not extrapolation using a selective sample out of a reasonably sized data set...and again with the Clarkson comparisons...every time someone brings up Randle (#7 pick), you bring up Clarkson (#46 pick)...why is that?

The fact of the matter is that you cant say for certain that he wont be able to spread the floor.

Oh, no...I CAN say that as of right now, he's not a good shooter.  Doesn't matter what he does in practice or 1-on-none...there is NO GAME TAPE that shows him being proficient over a reasonably sized data set.  Your "end of the season" is proof of nothing, much like Lonzo's Summer League 3pt % was was not large enough to negate the larger sample size of an entire college season.

You want me to prove a negative?  I don't have to.  You can't prove that anything WILL change...and that's the true burden of proof.

But the fact that he ended the season shooting the way he did and that he's working on his 3pt shot during the summer are good signs.

If that's the case, Kuzma is DEFINITELY a better shooter than Randle and will DEFINITELY steal his minutes...all based on SL.  If you want to use truncated data, so can I.

2018 offseason. Randle's cap hold is 12.4M so if we can shed Deng and Clarkson we can sign two max guys and still keep Randle. If we shed Clarkson and stretch Deng, we can still make it to 60M in cap space, which should be enough for two 30%-max guys as well. IMO the main objective is to shed both Clarkson and Deng to give us the extra flexibility we need to make moves.

Both are under contract past this season...Randle is a TO.  We can't control if another team will take Clarkson/Deng.  We can control if we give Randle the QO.

Again, Clarkson.  You can't seem to separate those 2.  They are not related or connected.  Renouncing Randle is easier and he's not going to be worth anywhere near what it will cost to keep him.  1 year of even average player will get him 16-22M/yr...I'd be cautious paying ANY young player that has been that inconsistent based on 1 year.

What makes Randle interesting to Luke and Magic is the addition of Lonzo. Both have been on record this summer saying they expect Randle to have a breakout season (their exact words), and that they're excited to see him run the floor with Lonzo and get out in transition.

He's been the most highly talked of Laker outside of Ingram and Ball.

We'll see what happens. I'm not big on his fit here, but if his shot improves, they might consider him worth keeping.

He's also been talked up to drive up his trade value.  If they can use him to move Deng for cap space, they will do it in a heartbeat.

On the court, Randle is like Derrick Rose as far as his fit, based on his career until now.  Not a good shooter, needs the ball to create, stops the flow to create his own shot, not the best decision maker.  I believe there is a better chance Randle buys in this year because he needs to if he wants to get paid.  Lonzo and Luke will help but if Randle doesn't change his approach, he will be moved ASAP.

tenor.gif

#100 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,159 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 25, 2017 - 12:08 PM

Win what? Boogie and Randle front line?  No thanks.

The guards won't ever touch the ball lol
  • LACAS likes this

11 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

kray28, Google (1), ChichoGarcy, UKUGA