Photo

There are reasons to get excited about Julius Randle this year

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#61 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 23, 2017 - 04:03 PM

Randle played at the Drew League today, used his right hand often and put up 28/18 and 5 Blocks. 

Someone dunked on him and then tried to dunk on him again, after that Randle went full beast mode and destroyed everyone 

Edited by Majesty, July 23, 2017 - 04:06 PM.

• DanishLakerFan likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#62 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,835 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 23, 2017 - 06:58 PM

Eh
  • GCMD likes this

#63 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 23, 2017 - 09:13 PM

Here's some highlights 

https://twitter.com/...326178225586176

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#64 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted July 23, 2017 - 09:24 PM

Until Randle shows it in the first 20 games or so, I'm not gonna get hyped for anything. Anything below 16-12-3 + 1 three fg and 1 block per game is a failure for him.

fXlFKv8.gif

#65 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,535 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 23, 2017 - 10:28 PM

I see almost a 0 scenarios where Randle is a Laker in 2018 unless he magically becomes an all star player next season.  

So many moving parts its tough to predict anything.

I think the most likely scenario is that that Randle is used as leverage in a Deng or Clarkson salary dump.

But if that doesn't happen or if he makes a big leap forward i could see us re-signing him by matching whatever (reasonable) offer he gets. At 12.4M his cap hold still makes it possible to add two max guys assuming Deng and Clarkson are gone.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#66 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,527 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 24, 2017 - 01:04 AM

So 13 11 and 2 wouldn't be good season with less than a turnovers hardly any 3s or blocks but 2 steals and improved defensive isn't enough?

Tbh. I don't think teams will be in a rush to max out a PF next season.

#67 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,091 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 24, 2017 - 02:58 AM

Randle needs to be an all star this season or he won't be a Laker for vey long.

I see no reason to dump Clarkson's salary. He's young, relatively cheap, and actually contributes. Even if we try to make a super team, you still need a bench.

#68 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,091 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 03:04 AM

some additional perspective on Randle.

Eye opening isn't it.

No this isn't eye opening at all for people that know the game of basketball!

Most of the F/C on that list are either trash, players that aren't known for their offensive ability, or players that rely heavily on outside shots. I'd expect my PF to finish at the rim better than my guards so that's also not surprising considering the fact that big men get easier shots at the rim.

Edited by kidpolean, July 24, 2017 - 03:08 AM.

• GCMD likes this

#69 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,018 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 24, 2017 - 04:07 AM

Until Randle shows it in the first 20 games or so, I'm not gonna get hyped for anything. Anything below 16-12-3 + 1 three fg and 1 block per game is a failure for him.

Seriously?

Was there ANYONE in the league last year that put up these numbers?

Without looking i'd say no.

Mostly because of the 12 boards.

Maybe KAT or AD did?

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#70 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,535 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 24, 2017 - 04:41 AM

Randle needs to be an all star this season or he won't be a Laker for vey long.

I see no reason to dump Clarkson's salary. He's young, relatively cheap, and actually contributes. Even if we try to make a super team, you still need a bench.

Clarkson has to go. He cant shoot or defend and he's overpaid. Some team would probably take a chance on the guy and if that's the case he has to go.

Seriously?

Maybe KAT or AD did?

16-12-3 is very much in the cards for Randle. He's already among the best rebounders in the league and grabbed 10.2 rpg in his first season playing alongside a non-rebounding C in Roy HIbbert. Playing next to BroLo on a team that might play at the fastest pace in the league will help him a lot in that regard.

Offensively Lonzo will help him get more shots and if he's improved his shooting over the summer we could easily see a bump in both percentages and overall ppg. I'm sure his shot selection could improve as well.

He's already at 3.6 apg, which is 5th among PFs, but i could see him drop close to 5 dimes per game.

I think he'll be at about 16-11-4 this season, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 20-12-5.

#71 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,091 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 05:37 AM

Clarkson has to go. He cant shoot or defend and he's overpaid. Some team would probably take a chance on the guy and if that's the case he has to go.

16-12-3 is very much in the cards for Randle. He's already among the best rebounders in the league and grabbed 10.2 rpg in his first season playing alongside a non-rebounding C in Roy HIbbert. Playing next to BroLo on a team that might play at the fastest pace in the league will help him a lot in that regard.

Offensively Lonzo will help him get more shots and if he's improved his shooting over the summer we could easily see a bump in both percentages and overall ppg. I'm sure his shot selection could improve as well.

He's already at 3.6 apg, which is 5th among PFs, but i could see him drop close to 5 dimes per game.

I think he'll be at about 16-11-4 this season, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 20-12-5.

Overpaid? Compared to who?

#72 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 1,160 posts
  • Fan Since:Mid 80's

Posted July 24, 2017 - 05:53 AM

2lc8cvr.jpg

#73 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 08:48 AM

Seriously?

Maybe KAT or AD did?

Idgaf.

He can do those things if he wants to. Enough with messing around.

fXlFKv8.gif

#74 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,897 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:19 AM

Jules has always had a harder time finishing inside, his size will always be an issue. Nothing new. All I really want to see is if he develops chemistry on the floor with Lonzo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#75 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 793 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted July 24, 2017 - 12:53 PM

Seriously?

Maybe KAT or AD did?

Thought the same.

#76 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 879 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted July 24, 2017 - 01:02 PM

Well, he will need something close to those numbers if he wants that extension. Can't quote anymore using tapatalk, I don't know wtf happened...

#77 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,135 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 24, 2017 - 02:57 PM

He's not getting an extension and I doubt LA resigns him

Well, he will need something close to those numbers if he wants that extension. Can't quote anymore using tapatalk, I don't know wtf happened...

• GCMD and kidpolean like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#78 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 879 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted July 24, 2017 - 04:59 PM

If Kuz shows that he can play like he did in SL and JR doesn't get a lot better (jumper and D), he should be used to unload Dengs contract, or maybe we could get a solid 2018 pick. I'm having a hard time picturing him as the PF we need. Someone like Kuz just feels right for our system. We'll see, there's no rush with this and everything can happend with the Lonzo effect.
  • GCMD likes this

#79 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,135 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 24, 2017 - 06:02 PM

Randle is about to be a RFA.  You can't use him to unload a terrible contract.  Taking him with Deng is essentially taking on like 40M a year.  Any team that trades for Randle HAS to pay him a long term deal.  At best if he improves substantially a team that wouldn't have the cap to sign him outright or make an offer sheet is going to have to trade for him.  If they can net a mid to late 1st maybe they can move that to someone for to move Deng.  Still a huge maybe.  

If Kuz shows that he can play like he did in SL and JR doesn't get a lot better (jumper and D), he should be used to unload Dengs contract, or maybe we could get a solid 2018 pick. I'm having a hard time picturing him as the PF we need. Someone like Kuz just feels right for our system. We'll see, there's no rush with this and everything can happend with the Lonzo effect.

• kidpolean likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#80 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,116 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 24, 2017 - 07:19 PM

The only scenario where you can unload Randle's contract alongside Deng is if he had a breakout year this year posting borderline All-Star numbers.  Ironically the only team that would probably be willing to consume Deng's contract in order to take on talent is the Nets.  With them already taking on Mozgov, that makes it even more less likely to occur.

Randle better play with a sense of urgency and have the same mindset that Ray Allen does.  Each of the 82 games during the season are essentially a tryout for a roster spot this point and will dictate the amount of money he'll be making the next few years as well as the jersey he will be wearing.

At the moment, I can't really picture him in a Laker uniform next year based upon the talent we've acquired via draft aswell as the overall direction that Magic and Pelinka clearly hope to take.  Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, July 24, 2017 - 07:20 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

JayTheGreat