Kuzma.

• GCMD likes this

#202 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 02, 2017 - 11:02 AM

Randle has legit competition.  Kuzma could take his spot and it wouldn't even be controversial or surprising.

This offense and pace does benefit Randle, like I figured it would, but he's got to make sure he's doing the little things off the ball.  If he does, the ball will find him in scoring position.

Still needs to set HARD screens to get guards open.

Still needs to roll harder to the rim until he's a legit 3pt threat.

Still needs to focus on man-, help- and post D (basically just DEFENSE).

He's a guy that's easy to get offense fouls called on if the defense is set (against Bully Ball) but he will live at the line if he catches and finishes on the move.  That's one of the biggest changes I expect for him within this offense.

Just preseason...not making too much of anything or anyone until around the 20 game mark.  That's been a reliable guide post and marker in the past.

• Rekal likes this

tenor.gif

#203 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted October 02, 2017 - 11:07 AM

he looked very Summer League Zubac in that debut. Regressed.
It's only one game, but dang he didn't show the progress I wanted to see.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#204 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts

Posted October 02, 2017 - 11:35 AM

he looked very Summer League Zubac in that debut. Regressed.
It's only one game, but dang he didn't show the progress I wanted to see.

Randle's progress won't likely come from individual skills, which is why I made this thread.

Randle's progress will be a result of the style and pace we play at and the effect it will have on the rest of his game.  He needs to be in a system that gets him easy scores without him having to create them.  He needs to be in a system where he can react instead of THINK.  He needs to be in a system that continually stimulates him.

Anyone expecting Randle to come in shooting 35-40% from 3 or handling the rock like Draymond or defending like Kawhi is in for a rude awakening.  He's not that type of player.  He's a FB or MLB - straight-line smash and crash, not a skat-back or hybrid LB/DB like a Nickel.

We have to stop pretending Randle's ceiling or logical skill progression includes finesse.  He's a hammer, jack-hammer type tool that is best in SPECIFIC applications and within a certain system with well defined variables.  He's not a guy that's going to change the game for you by playing at multiple levels and multiple roles.  That's not who he is.

He's a scorer who doesn't have the skills to create his own shot outside of Bully Ball and straight-line drives.  Let's accept that move on to how best to utilize his strength and speed to his and our benefit.

tenor.gif

#205 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,085 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 03, 2017 - 07:30 AM

I wonder if the Lakers might try to move JR as soon as this week with Kuz looking so minutes ready and in need of playing time

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#206 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 261 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 03, 2017 - 07:59 AM

Their not moving Randle without getting a good player in return. Period. Case closed.

Running left handed skyhook against Denver, pow!

I can't recall off the top of my head the last time I saw that from him. So... things are looking up I say lol

#207 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,852 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted October 03, 2017 - 08:03 AM

Not impressed with Randle so far. He is the same as he has always been. juust a little bit lighter on his feet

• GCMD likes this

#208 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,563 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted October 03, 2017 - 08:40 AM

Their not moving Randle without getting a good player in return. Period. Case closed.

Running left handed skyhook against Denver, pow!

I can't recall off the top of my head the last time I saw that from him. So... things are looking up I say lol

I'd ship out Randle for a mid-low first rounder right now. 

• GCMD likes this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#209 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,085 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 08:43 AM

I dont hate Randle at all.

Seems pretty clear to me he's a 15/10 guy.

How many of those in the league are there? Less than 7 i'd guess.

The question is could Kuzma be more valuable as soon as this season by being a versatile do everything player (like we are hoping Ingram will turn into)

• UKUGA and K-Kris like this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#210 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,213 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted October 03, 2017 - 08:46 AM

would love if we give him some time early the season but then trade him if he really hasnt done any progress by then

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#211 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,559 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 03, 2017 - 10:06 AM

Before people bash this guy too much i think it's worth noting that the guy has been pretty productive in these couple of games and putting up good numbers in 20-some minutes.

He's put up close to 18-11 on 50% shooting if he played 30 mins. Now, he stil has his bad habits and for some reason they're taking away his greatest strength which is running the floor, but once Lopez comes back and helps spread the floor a bit i think Randle will thrive.

• UKUGA and androsays like this

#212 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,085 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 10:30 AM

I'd say its better than even money he has a better overall season than BI.

• UKUGA and Rekal like this

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#213 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,540 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 03, 2017 - 11:21 AM

Kuzma is not rebounding or passing or defending

#214 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,398 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 11:46 AM

With Randle it's not about production for me. I mean he has talent as a scorer and rebounder. It's all eye test for me in terms of how he plays team basketball. Sure if I was picking guys to play one on one from our roster then Randle would probably be first on the list. He's a very adept ISO scorer and he's a pretty damn good athlete with a nice skill set

Problem is in 5 on 5 it's almost like he's a chemistry issue. There's something off about him on the floor. I won't go as far as to say ball stopper, but it's like when he's out there at the 4 the spacing is terrible, he ends up driving in or standing around.

His off the ball movement is terrible. He's pretty much located where he'll be for the entirety of the possession from the beginning
  • GCMD likes this
Posted Image

#215 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,809 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted October 03, 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hold off on your assessments of Julius til he's starting next to Brook.

Also, Kuzma coming of the bench with Bogut could be very nice. I think Nance will be the odd man out.
  • DanishLakerFan likes this

2div

#216 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,220 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted October 03, 2017 - 02:26 PM

Its truly hard to really get an idea of this team without Lopez and Bogut on the court nevertheless if Kuzma keeps this up, cutting the cord w Randle is imminent. 

• GCMD likes this

#217 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,398 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 04:02 PM

Hold off on your assessments of Julius til he's starting next to Brook.

Also, Kuzma coming of the bench with Bogut could be very nice. I think Nance will be the odd man out.

I'm willing to give Randle a chance next To Lopez, but I think kuzma even moreso next to Lopez would make ball and ingrams life easier
  • GCMD and LACAS like this
Posted Image

#218 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,941 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted October 04, 2017 - 10:06 AM

I'd say its better than even money he has a better overall season than BI.

truest truths

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#219 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,941 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted October 04, 2017 - 10:31 AM

Kuzma is not rebounding or passing or defending

Kuz fan too but you are right. If he can be as consistent as Randle in those areas then he should start. Not giving up on Randle, still think he’s solid(can’t help where he was drafted). I’d even start him at the 3. Years ago the kid passed my “live game” eye test. I didn’t see the last game but a few highlights. Loving how quick JR looks. Hope he shoots more 3’s can’t be scared. Looking forward to more triple doubles this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#220 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,540 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 04, 2017 - 02:12 PM

Ennis
Kcp
Brewer