• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#181 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:08 PM

So all of a sudden he's now a good fit! Glad to hear that!

LMAO

Straw Man?

I made this thread with hope.  I didn't make a claim.  It's yet to be seen how he does but I HOPE he does well.  This offense will help him if he does the little things.  I've repeated them ad nauseam so I won't waste my time repeating them for you.

Your response will be un-original and spectacularly predictable.  Good Day.

tenor.gif

#182 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:16 PM

trainao My guy (@juliusrandle30) is focused this offseason. He isfrom the corner three right here.

Speaking of corner, training camp is around the corner!! Who is excited for the season to START? 

@shotanalysis #shotanalysis #shooting#lakers

I mean, seriously...how many of these are you going to post?

You are trying hard to convince YOURSELF of something you know isn't true.

If he improves 2%, you will use that as evidence for your stance.

If he doesn't improve, you will use that as evidence of your stance.

If he regresses, you will blame the conditioning and strength training for "throwing off his mechanics".

No one will take you seriously if there is nothing that will change your mind.  That's what happened to Democrats 4 years ago...they assumed everyone was essentially good and as a country, we'd vote Altruistically.  We are NOT.  We are territorial creatures of bias and habit that want to secure OUR success by any means necessary...

You don't care about the data.  Your mind is made up.  Stop wasting everyone else's time if you can't see both sides...which, you CLEARLY can't.

Or just keep going.  Doesn't matter to me.  You're a grown man.  If you want to spend your time hyping a guy that has done nothing to deserve it, go for it.

tenor.gif

#183 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:20 PM

One thing is hitting open 3s in practise without having anyone guard you, another is to do it in a game when someone is closing out.

But for Julius, i think being able to hit an open 3 will change his game completely because it forces the other team to defend him differently.

I'm so damn excited to see what Julius brings this season.

Hopefully he's hitting 3s at a clip that the other team wont allow him to shoot undefended.

Hopefully his physical transformation will improve his effectiveness on the defensive end.

Hopefully Bogut can help him to be a better defender and screen setter.

Hopefully some of Lonzo's ability to move the ball early will rub off on Julius as well.

I think we'll be running the offense a bit faster and reactionary this season.  I think Randle hitting from 32-33% in general from three this season would be enough to keep defenses honest on the perimeter which would open up things when he's chased off the line, either getting to the basket or finding KCP, Lonzo, Ingram or Lopez on the perimeter.  We'll have 4 capable perimeter threats on paper when Randle takes it to the basket in that scenario, if the defense rotates, one of them will be open.   

So it's very good in theory so we'll see how Luke decides he wants to utilize the 'pick your poison' weapons the team has on paper. 

• DanishLakerFan likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#184 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:32 PM

I think we'll be running the offense a bit faster and reactionary this season.  I think Randle hitting from 32-33% in general from three this season would be enough to keep defenses honest on the perimeter which would open up things when he's chased off the line, either getting to the basket or finding KCP, Lonzo, Ingram or Lopez on the perimeter.  We'll have 4 capable perimeter threats on paper when Randle takes it to the basket in that scenario, if the defense rotates, one of them will be open.   

So it's very good in theory so we'll see how Luke decides he wants to utilize the 'pick your poison' weapons the team has on paper. 

It's also likely that Nance shoots better from 3 than Randle...and Nance already sets better screens, moves better without the ball and, to be honest, has a higher basketball IQ.

Entirely likely that Kuzma shoots better than 33% from 3.  He's already shown that he's a perfect fit to this offense and has chemistry with Lonzo.  Moves well without the ball, plays inside and out and is a willing passer, cutter and screener.

Playing the "what if" game works for ALL PLAYERS, not just the ones you like.  Did you forget the 2 months of "what if" you played with Dante Exum before that draft?  How did it turn out?

Just be fair.  Randle has a chance to be better because the offense will be different.  If he shoots better, that's icing on the cake but let's not pretend that it is even likely...best to concentrate on things like DEFENSE and SCREENS and MOVING WITHOUT THE BALL...

But that's all TEAM stuff...and that "TEAM STUFF" is why Randle likely won't even be here this time next year.

tenor.gif

#185 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,555 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:48 PM

I agree.

• Majesty likes this

#186 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 06:02 AM

Laker Film Room: How Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, & Julius Randle Fit Together

Nice breakdown by GT as usual. 

• DanishLakerFan likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#187 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,538 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 22, 2017 - 10:12 AM

How is it unlikely that he improves as a shooter if he is practicing consistently.

How are jumpers evident of him not practicing defense?

Dumb argument

#188 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 797 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted September 22, 2017 - 11:52 AM

not long now before we start finding out who's right
  • GCMD likes this

#189 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 1,165 posts
  • Fan Since:Mid 80's

Posted September 23, 2017 - 06:59 AM

not long now before we start finding out who's right

GCMD can't be wong. He has all the bases covered: 

His problem with Randle used to be (or so he told us) that he's a bad fit in LAL and he can never change or improve, so he must go.

Obviously Randle  improved this season (better decision making, more sharing the ball...), but he just dismissed that because he gets to define improvement on the basis of some "skills" that of course, he gets to define too.

Now he's telling us that we should expect improvements from him this season, but just because Lonzo, the system, and other external factors. 

So he will argue for one thing and the opposite, and call any criticism of his inconsistency a "straw man". and since he thinks he gets to define improvement, he thinks his argument is watertight when in fact, he doesn't even have an argument at all

I mean he'll even have us believe that becoming a good outside shooter would do nothing for JR's game or the team's... ugh

• Busty Bluth, Majesty, Clutch Factor and 2 others like this

2lc8cvr.jpg

#190 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,062 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 23, 2017 - 08:40 AM

Hey dazz... i keep thinking ingram wants to tell ball to get his f'n ear out of his f'n eye in your bottom graphic

Edited by kball, September 23, 2017 - 08:40 AM.

• dazz likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#191 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 1,165 posts
  • Fan Since:Mid 80's

Posted September 27, 2017 - 10:46 AM

Hey dazz... i keep thinking ingram wants to tell ball to get his f'n ear out of his f'n eye in your bottom graphic

IKR. Look how Lonzo won't stop grinning despite of that. There's clearly a chemistry issue between Ball & Ingram

...so we need to trade Randle

2lc8cvr.jpg

#192 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 12:02 PM

GCMD can't be wong. He has all the bases covered: 

Of course I can be wrong.  This is, by definition, a straw man argument...

His problem with Randle used to be (or so he told us) that he's a bad fit in LAL and he can never change or improve, so he must go.

Sad because you conveniently leave out the fact that I also said that Randle needs to be on a team built around his STRENGTHS, not have a fanbase constantly claim that he CAN or WILL add a Jumper or become a better defender or a better passer!  

I qualified those statements.  You just CHOOSE to re-hash the part that sells your narrative...

ezgif.com-add-text%20%281%29.gif

Obviously Randle  improved this season (better decision making, more sharing the ball...), but he just dismissed that because he gets to define improvement on the basis of some "skills" that of course, he gets to define too.

Dismiss what?  Randle improved on what?  You have provided arbitrary statements as facts and then determine that any criticism/critique of them is EVIDENCE of HATE?  I'm supposed to take YOUR view and accept it as fact?

Here's an uncomfortable truth:

Julius Randle and Jordan Clarkson have about the same numbers across the board (except rebounding) per 36 and per 100 possessions.  People use those because Randle missed his first season and neither has been a consistent starter in their career.  Why is Clarkson viewed as trash and Randle viewed as a budding star?

https://www.basketba.../randlju01.html

https://www.basketba.../clarkjo01.html

Why?  Your arbitrary and subjective view of Randle as a player, not careful consideration of the numbers and fit.  I can produce rationale for my arguments.  You can not...and when you attempt to make a case, it FAILS MISERABLY under light scrutiny.

That's why you have a problem with that I'm saying... 

Now he's telling us that we should expect improvements from him this season, but just because Lonzo, the system, and other external factors. 

Yes, I am saying that...and it's consistent with what I've been saying all along.  Randle's natural tendencies need to be in a system that will allow them to flourish because he LACKS post skills and guard skills to be a go-to #1 option in the half-court.  WAYYYYY too easy to defend Bully-Ball if there isn't a team around him that spreads the floor or pushes the pace.

But you keep telling half-truths to support your lie.

So he will argue for one thing and the opposite, and call any criticism of his inconsistency a "straw man". and since he thinks he gets to define improvement, he thinks his argument is watertight when in fact, he doesn't even have an argument at all

Sad.  Someone needs to teach you something about debate and logic.  I have made the same claims for the past 3 years, supported those claims and presented evidence.  Factors have changed that have swayed me to believe something CAN change with Randle on this team and you want me to ignore that?

Why?  Because I have to be constrained to one side of the fence?

If Randle can help THE LAKERS win, I'm happy.  I don't have a personal grudge against him, despite you constantly saying I do.  I want him to succeed because that means he will have reached his potential, which I've also said is at All-Star level, on the right team in the right system.

YOU are the ones saying that every year, despite nothing changing, Randle will be different.  You bash me for saying that I'll believe it when I see it.  Is that not a logical stance?

But you have been proven to not even UNDERSTAND what "straw man" MEANS so it's not a shocker that you will mis-use the phrase over and over and lack the basic tools to have a logical debate.  Learn the vocab before slangin' it around, homie.

I mean he'll even have us believe that becoming a good outside shooter would do nothing for JR's game or the team's... ugh

You're such a liar...and I mean that as a statement, not as an insult.  You take everything I say out of context and present it as fact.  That's why you get abused in so many discussions around here.  You don't have the intellectual honesty to admit when you're wrong so you create false paradigms and argue them.  THAT'S how you present a "straw Man argument"...which you're an expert.

Good Day, Señor Straw Man...

tenor.gif

#193 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 12:19 PM

Mike Trudell‏Verified account @LakersReporter 

Walton said Julius Randle has been “flying around” defensively. It’s what they’d hoped for at exit interviews, helped by the shape he’s in.

• GCMD and dazz like this

#194 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 12:45 PM

Mike Trudell‏Verified account @LakersReporter 

Walton said Julius Randle has been “flying around” defensively. It’s what they’d hoped for at exit interviews, helped by the shape he’s in.

That's very positive news.  I think that's something he's capable of making major strides in this year.  If we want to play fast, defense is essential.  Having a 6'9 TANK who can rebound AND defend multiple positions will help a LOT.

My only concern is consistency.  If he's consistent on that end, good things will happen for us this year.

tenor.gif

#195 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,062 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 29, 2017 - 02:26 PM

Lots easier to fly around in summer than game 30+ in a long season of losing...

So not holding my breath until games, travel, losses, infighting etc

Edited by kball, September 29, 2017 - 02:26 PM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#196 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 04:26 PM

Lots easier to fly around in summer than game 30+ in a long season of losing...

So not holding my breath until games, travel, losses, infighting etc

All true.  Just have to hope the increased pace and ball movement motivates all of our players on the defensive end.

• erfolk likes this

tenor.gif

#197 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,123 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted October 01, 2017 - 04:45 AM

Randle just needs to STAY IN HIS LANE. He is physical freak. Rebound, play D, go strong to the basket and shoot when wide open

• GCMD, UKUGA and LACAS like this

#198 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,465 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted October 02, 2017 - 07:29 AM

I will die alone on Julius Randle Hill. The flaws are obvious: Randle can't protect the rim like a center, but he can't shoot as well the modern NBA requires from power forwards. I don't care. Teams need to think very hard before they give up on a big man who can handle and pass like this. Randle's in shape, and he has the goods to be an average defender if he goes all-out.

http://www.espn.com/...rankings-part-1

Don't feed the trolls. 

#199 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 261 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 02, 2017 - 07:57 AM

Randle still can't post, I don't know if it's something he's even been working on, but adding Lonzo and Kuzma has really benefited him because it suits his style of play more where he needs to be fed the ball cutting in transition. 

He fakes dribble left, drives right, jumps, uses his left shoulder to bump off, layup with his right hand.

Rinse and repeat, all game long. On occasion switch sides. 

I wish he wouldn't be so frightened of posting up. He is so scared to miss. It's like Shaq refusing to change the trajectory of his free throws to give it more arc. But hey, if we have Lonzo and he's going to make even more of his usual shots, he is a keeper. We absolutely shouldn't trade him unless we get a good player back, don't deal him for draft picks. 

He is in good shape, and is now putting in effort on the defensive end. And his jump shot could get better as the season progresses.

#200 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 261 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 02, 2017 - 07:59 AM

Randle can, at best, become a poor man's Shawn Kemp. I mean... a very poor man's... well... not that poor... you know what I meant.

Physically I don't see why he can't.

Danny Manning is another player that comes to mind.

C'mon Julius! We're all rooting for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users