Photo

There are reasons to get excited about Julius Randle this year...

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2017 - 12:24 PM

None of them have to do with Draymond Green or his Jumper.  Let's make that clear.  I don't think he's going to drastically change his skillset but if you have paid attention to my stance on Randle for the past 3 years, you know that I don't believe he has to nor should he be expected to change a whole lot.

I want to preface this post with this: based on the cap space they are trying to achieve next offseason, there is a 60/40 chance Randle starts the season as a Laker (closer to 50/50) and a 25/75 chance he's a Laker after the trade deadline this year.

Here's some of the reasons I believe you can go ahead and "buy" Randle's stock this year:

1)  Lonzo Ball.  I started with this because it's the most important reason.  He will make Randle more efficient because Randle is a downhill player when he's at his best.  Having a PG who finds you in the right spots to continue fluid movement instead of stopping with the ball and having to start again against a set D will make Randle much harder to guard.

2)  Randle is a finisher, not creator.  As we've seen with Kuzma, if you run and make yourself available, you will get the ball in position to score.  I believe we will see this x5 with Randle.  He has a high motor when motivated...and scoring motivates him.  I'm not saying he can't create just that he won't be at his best if he's trying to force that aspect.  It should be organic, within the flow of the offense, not something he feels he must showcase.  He won't be Draymond but he'll be MUCH better than Faried.  Just keep the ball moving and it will come back to you.

3)  Speed and tempo mismatch.  Randle's faster and stronger than most PFs.  His ability to fill the lanes combined with Ball's ability to find him will force BIGs to have to change ends quickly, which isn't likely.  This should lead to a lot of easy run-outs for Randle.

4)  Rebound and Push.  Add in that Randle can also act as the rebound a push guy to players that will be looking to play fast, it's not hard to see him averaging 4apg off transition plays alone.  If you want to play fast, you must force turnovers and rebound the ball well on the defensive end.  I can see Randle INCREASING his rebounding because he knows that this will lead to passes and scores for him and others.  Passes to teammates who are now sprinting down the court.  Scores for him because the floor will be spread due to defenders having their backs turned trying to sprint down the court to cover Randle's teammates.  Randle doesn't have guard handles but downhill, I don't think there are many BIGS who will strip him once he's gotten a head of steam or he sees a lane open up.

5)  Brook Lopez.  Offensively, he will handle most of the skilled BIG duties for us.  Good outside shooting BIG but underrated passer.  Randle isn't much of a spacer but he could be deadly setting off ball screens.  Those lead to mismatches down low and I believe Brook will find Randle.  I've said before that Randle's best position in this offense is actually the 5 and with Lopez, that's now possible.  I also believe that the added spacing will allow Randle more room to operate in the mid-range off selective ISO Face-up action.  Not too much of this as it's a very inefficient play but it's one of those go-to plays that, given the right matchup and situation, Randle can execute as a primary option in the half court.  That play may not be there every night but when it is, it adds another dimension to our half court to augment scoring in transition when teams go small (defensively).

6)  He doesn't have to change.  People have been calling on Randle to add a 3pt shot (unnecessary) and to play like a Point Forward (why?) but that's not his game.  Can he make basic passes?  Sure.  Can he hit an occasional outside shot?  Maybe (I hope so).  When motivated (and in shape), he's a high energy guy that's built to rebound and utilize his speed and strength to stay in attack-mode.  That's Randle at his best.  Don't try to change him.  Don't try to force him to be someone he isn't.  This team has space for his natural tendencies as long as he's willing to sacrifice on-ball creating to act as a finisher.  Downhill players (like Randle) need to be put in a position to keep pressure on the D.  Changing his focus is a mistake because shifting gears isn't his strength.

Keep it simple, stupid.  Don't try to re-invente the wheel.  There are a lot of reasons to get excited about Randle this year but it's not about what you WANT to see him change/add (skillset).  It's about who he is and how that fits with who we are becoming.

I've been a HUGE critic of Randle (understatement) and honestly, he's deserved every bit of it.  Every year, he tried to "add" something to his game.  He tried to show things that weren't compatible with his strengths.  He didn't fit our previous roster.  He didn't fit our previous offenses.  Now?  If he buys in, he can be a monster.  He has a legit chance to prove that he was worth the #7 pick.  He has a PG and Coach who play/think the game the right way.  He has teammates that make sense alongside him.  

The only things I pray Randle changes is his awareness and effort leveldefensively and off ball (offensively).  Do the little things that don't show up in the stats like using his speed to be aggressive on P&R Blitzes (defense) and putting in effort to set BONE-JARRING screens to free up shooters off the ball.  Be VOCAL on DEFENSE and set the tone with his speed in the open court.  

I'm high on his potential with this group as long as he doesn't try to change his skillset mid-stream.  I think he's got enough to offer that he should solidify the basics before trying to add to his game.  Find a winning role and perfect that.  That's absolutely possible and the reason we should all be excited about Randle.

Edited by GCMD, July 14, 2017 - 12:29 PM.

• M.X.M.,    , bfc1125roy and 5 others like this

tenor.gif

#2 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 835 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted July 14, 2017 - 12:53 PM

Valid points, all of them. I'm not high on Julius, not at all, but if Lonzo really changes the way this team runs offensively plus Lopez spacing the floor... Who knows, maybe this will be his season. What I'm not buying is that improved jumper, I just don't believe he can achieve that (would be amazing).

Edited by ChichoGarcy, July 14, 2017 - 12:53 PM.

• GCMD, M.X.M. and MaceWindu like this

#3 Olabebeh

Olabebeh

Rookie

• 581 posts
  • Name:Rafael
  • Fan Since:92
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant / Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2017 - 12:53 PM

I've also been a huge critic of Randle specially because of his lack of defensive effort but i haven't give up on him yet, i think he will have a breakout season this year, Ball and Lopez will help him immensely, i agree with all the reasons you pointed out in your post, excellent read GCMD.

• GCMD and ChichoGarcy like this

#4 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,101 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 14, 2017 - 01:36 PM

I've also been a huge critic of Randle specially because of his lack of defensive effort but i haven't give up on him yet, i think he will have a breakout season this year, Ball and Lopez will help him immensely, i agree with all the reasons you pointed out in your post, excellent read GCMD.

I don't think he gives bad defensive effort I think he just doesn't know how

Edited by lakersince75, July 15, 2017 - 03:26 AM.

• Olabebeh likes this

#5 Olabebeh

Olabebeh

Rookie

• 581 posts
  • Name:Rafael
  • Fan Since:92
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant / Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2017 - 02:06 PM

I don't thie he gives bad defensive effort I think he just doesn't know how

It could be, but his behaviour and facial expression on the courts tells me otherwise, maybe i'm wrong and it's just his frustations of not being able to finish in the offensive end sometimes that translates to the defensive one.

#6 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 02:10 PM

It could be, but his behaviour and facial expression on the courts tells me otherwise, maybe i'm wrong and it's just his frustations of not being able to finish in the offensive end sometimes that translates to the defensive one.

Some players are energized defensively by how engaged they are offensively.  I think Randle is that type of player.  If he can find a way to be productive offensively (like we think he can with Lonzo), he will be flying all over the court defensively because it will lead to MORE scoring opportunities.

• Olabebeh likes this

tenor.gif

#7 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,433 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2017 - 03:09 PM

If we can't move Randle before the season starts, it stands to reason that playing him with Lonzo could serve as a showcase which boosts his trade value enough to make him the sufficiently enticing carrot that helps take Deng off our books. 

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#8 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,433 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2017 - 03:11 PM

No Deng = two max deals!  :D

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#9 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 772 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted July 14, 2017 - 03:34 PM

had to read that SN twice.
I agree he should be highlighted this year.
I think we'll all be happily impressed by Randle this year.

#10 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 1,123 posts
  • Fan Since:Mid 80's

Posted July 14, 2017 - 03:46 PM

Mrs. Randle? Is that you?

• Rekal likes this

3520itw.jpg

#11 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,556 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 03:48 PM

Lol guys chill.. He's been hacked...

#12 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:19 PM

Lol guys chill.. He's been hacked...

LOL...why would you think that?

But seriously, everyone who has actually listened to my complaints about Randle's game will recognize all of these points.  I haven't changed my stance on who he IS.  I have changed my stance on his fit AS IS (minor mental/approach adjustment).  Lonzo is a true floor general.   If he can't find a way to make you look good, you're a very bad basketball player.  Randle's natural gifts will make him a good target for Lonzo and increase his efficiency...only changes needed have nothing to do with skillset...

This offense under Lonzo could be a thing of beauty.  As long as the culture changes quickly and Randle buys in (more reason to believe he will because of Lonzo), there is room in the offense for Randle and I think Luke can make that happen.

I haven't been opposed to Randle because I hate him, as others try to claim.  I've been opposed to the idea of changing Randle into a player he isn't.  Let him be who he is, find his role and expand his game from there.  Until we see the REAL Randle, we can't truly assess his max potential.  If the REAL Randle is a poor fit, we must accept that and move on.  I think this is the first time since he's been a Laker that the Coach, Offense and Roster makes sense around him.  No morphing into Draymond Green or anyone else necessary.  I'm excited about that.

Edited by GCMD, July 14, 2017 - 11:20 PM.

• bfc1125roy likes this

tenor.gif

#13 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,532 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 15, 2017 - 05:38 AM

1) Contract

2) Year

It's pretty simple.

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,994 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:12 AM

Lopez might be the best big next to Randle made available to LA.  This is his chance for a serious breakout year.  

• GCMD and LACAS like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#15 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,101 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:32 AM

Lopez might be the best big next to Randle made available to LA.  This is his chance for a serious breakout year.  

Very True, that's because most bigs suck. They have for almost a decade now. I am referring to True Centers. Could you imagine these centers having to play between 1985 and 2000. Some of these so-called All stars would have to search for a team to even start. Could you imagine Gasol having to see Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson, Malone and Shaq etc. on a regular basis?? 

#16 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 460 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:35 AM

Gasol had/has some skill to offer, so he might have held his ground but he won't be as effective for sure.

BUT

Roy Hibbert was an all-star! I cry for him when i think him matched up against Hakeem :D

#17 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,131 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:38 AM

Agreed... what would be considered a breakout year for Lopez? Offensively he's pretty sound... an increase in rebounds and commitment to D?

#18 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,994 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:49 AM

Everyone of those true Centers you mentioned could play today.  Most of the time people think of these guys are pure post guys when in reality those mostly attacked with a face up game.  Hakeem is known for post moves but he wasn't some back to the basket guy.  He did just about everything except shoot 3s and David Robinson pre back injury was probably a bit better all around than Hakeem was.  He even shot 3s well at super low volume.  

Embiid is a bit David Robinson light right now.  If he stays healthy.  

Very True, that's because most bigs suck. They have for almost a decade now. I am referring to True Centers. Could you imagine these centers having to play between 1985 and 2000. Some of these so-called All stars would have to search for a team to even start. Could you imagine Gasol having to see Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson, Malone and Shaq etc. on a regular basis?? 

Edited by Jody Smokes, July 15, 2017 - 07:49 AM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#19 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,994 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:50 AM

Lopez has already had many years of great scoring. Doubt he has a breakout year and defensively he's still going to have to see limited minutes.  I think he easily leads the team in scoring and scores between 20-23 a game though

Agreed... what would be considered a breakout year for Lopez? Offensively he's pretty sound... an increase in rebounds and commitment to D?

#20 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,101 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 08:43 AM

A breakout year would be staying healthy and some added nastiness

• LACAS likes this

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)