Photo

Is it time to start considering elite Defensive Assistant Coaches?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,918 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:14 PM

Luke is a really good offensive mind but I question the defensive side of our coaching staff.  Kerr keeps really good assistants around him with some former head coaching experience.

Is it time to start searching for an elite defensive coach for our bench?  Do you think we could find a proven guy to instill a good defensive gameplan who is fine sitting on the bench being Luke's 2nd in command?

• bfc1125roy likes this

tenor.gif

#2 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:27 PM

They need an Xs and Os guy on both sides.  The offense isn't as good as some might think.

• Busty Bluth, JGuez, Ventiquattro and 1 other like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#3 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,121 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:41 PM

What is Shaw's forte'?

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:57 PM

Not sure but I don't think he's much of a tactician.  I think they are likely great players coaches and help with good habits but still need an Xs and Os guy in the mix. 

What is Shaw's forte'?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#5 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,918 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 04:15 PM

They need an Xs and Os guy on both sides.  The offense isn't as good as some might think.

I disagree.  There were many reasons the X's and O's didn't work last year and it had more to do with the players and their fits than the actual plays.  One of the biggest factors in the failure of the plays is the lack of on and off ball screening.

It's impossible to get most plays to work when you can't execute basic basketball skills that make the plays work.  If the offense was P&R based, no play would work if we didn't have a guy that could set good on ball picks or roll to the basket OR space the floor (which none of our BIGS could).

On the defensive side, there were actual flaws in the gameplan, not just lack of talent.  IMHO, none of the defensive assistants have proven they can design or implement a defensive gameplan at the NBA level for a good team.  Luke has proven he can draw up plays and manage the egos of a good offensive gameplan.  

Please don't change the subject.

Do you think it's time to bring in an ELITE defensive Assistant?  If you don't have faith in Luke or his offense, that's for another thread.  This one is about defense.

• kray28 likes this

tenor.gif

#6 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,540 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 12, 2017 - 04:48 PM

We need a defensive assistant coach, yes. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, July 12, 2017 - 04:50 PM.

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:05 PM

JVG.

yo.

#8 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,520 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:07 PM

I wonder if the Lakers can call up Dan D'Antoni out of his contract.
  • Olabebeh likes this

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#9 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:08 PM

I don't know if they need defensive assistant but I can tell you they need a strategic assistant. Someone who could draw broader, more breadth plays that isn't ATO.

#10 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:29 PM

You all know the man already.

lakers-scott-basketball-3.jpg

• Olabebeh likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#11 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,918 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:45 PM

I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm trying to say here.

If you want to push the tempo, you have to be very good at 2 things:

1)  Forcing Turnovers

2)  Defensive Rebounding

The best way to force turnovers is to have a team defensive gameplan that's built around versatility, speed and help/recover.  You need to have a defensive system in place that everyone on the team understands and that isn't affected by substitution of a lesser quality defender as much as most man systems are.  An average defensive coach can build a good system with elite on ball defenders.  A GREAT defensive assistant can build a good system around a couple of elite on ball defenders and a lot of good TEAM defenders.

Randle will be our best rebounder, bar none.  He's also very capable of pushing the ball...that's a plus in this system.  If we can get Brook to just box-out, Ingram, Ball and KCP are very capable rebounders who can also push the ball up the court or get out in the wings.  I don't think we will see anyone but Randle dominate the D-Boards individually but as a team, we could be pretty elite in that category.

If we can get an elite defensive assistant in here soon, it serves dual purposes:  establishes a defensive identity early in these guys' careers and sends a message to the 2018 Free Agents that we are thinking about winning it ALL, not just being "flashy".

Edited by GCMD, July 12, 2017 - 09:47 PM.

• androsays likes this

tenor.gif

#12 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,807 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted July 12, 2017 - 11:40 PM

We need dat
  • GCMD and Biggums like this

2div

#13 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,918 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 09:00 AM

Are there any young, up and coming Defensive Assistants potentially available next offseason?  Preferably from the Popovich coaching tree?

tenor.gif

#14 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,208 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted August 18, 2017 - 05:14 AM

Ron-Ron.

#15 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 258 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 13, 2017 - 07:41 AM

Luke is a really good offensive mind but I question the defensive side of our coaching staff.  Kerr keeps really good assistants around him with some former head coaching experience.

Is it time to start searching for an elite defensive coach for our bench?  Do you think we could find a proven guy to instill a good defensive gameplan who is fine sitting on the bench being Luke's 2nd in command?

Great idea. I'm sorry but Jud Buechler and Mark Madsen aren't cutting it as assistants. We need an experienced defensive coordinator out of the NCAA.

And of course we can. There are lots of good defensive coordinators out there. It's not hard to find them just because the Lakers play worst defense than most high school teams lol

• GCMD likes this

#16 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,918 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 10:23 AM

Great idea. I'm sorry but Jud Buechler and Mark Madsen aren't cutting it as assistants. We need an experienced defensive coordinator out of the NCAA.

And of course we can. There are lots of good defensive coordinators out there. It's not hard to find them just because the Lakers play worst defense than most high school teams lol

There are also some former NBA players and former head coaches that would make good defensive assistants.  I'm worried because, like I said in another thread, at this point, there is a much higher chance that Luke becomes the next George Karl or even Mike D'Antoni (potent offense, porous defense) than the next Phil Jackson (win a lot despite not teaching or coaching D).

No one knows what the future holds but I'd rather pay attention to that end now than construct an elite offensive team and ignore the other side of the court.  Not saying Luke is ignoring it...just that none of the defensive assistants come from a tree that inspires confidence.

No matter what people think about Mark Jackson's offense, they can't deny that he prepared GSW to be elite defensively.  I believe Kerr inherited that.  Luke didn't in LA.  We need someone to build that foundation to take the next step.  Doing so will greatly increase the chance this team becomes a contender, not an uptempo team that wins a bunch of regular season games and gets trounced in the playoffs.

Edited by GCMD, September 13, 2017 - 10:23 AM.

tenor.gif

#17 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 506 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted September 13, 2017 - 10:56 AM

The problem with our current asisstant coaches is that they are too friendly. I know that Luke is trying to have a win and have fun culture, but i think when all of your asisstants are too friendly that's a problem, especially for our defense and authority of Luke. People would come and say Steve Kerr bla bla bla... have you seen him when he is hot? When he is hot, he is burning everyone including his star players. Just google it, he is kinda hilarious :D

I think Jud can stay, but i am done with Mad Dog and Shaw. No bad feelings whatsoever, but we need more disciplined and defensive minded asisstants to complement Luke. And i am absolutely fine with having former head coaches as defensive asisstants and mentors generally. Mike Brown is much more better as an asisstant than as a head coach. So guys like JVG would be great for our team.

• GCMD likes this

#18 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,918 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:35 PM

The problem with our current asisstant coaches is that they are too friendly. I know that Luke is trying to have a win and have fun culture, but i think when all of your asisstants are too friendly that's a problem, especially for our defense and authority of Luke. People would come and say Steve Kerr bla bla bla... have you seen him when he is hot? When he is hot, he is burning everyone including his star players. Just google it, he is kinda hilarious :D

I think Jud can stay, but i am done with Mad Dog and Shaw. No bad feelings whatsoever, but we need more disciplined and defensive minded asisstants to complement Luke. And i am absolutely fine with having former head coaches as defensive asisstants and mentors generally. Mike Brown is much more better as an asisstant than as a head coach. So guys like JVG would be great for our team.

I agree 100%.  I don't think any of the guys (assistants) we have now have the pedigree or chops to lead us defensively.  I could be wrong but I just don't see a lot changing until we get really good defensive players across the board or we get an assistant that can instill a legit defensive gameplan.

tenor.gif

#19 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,431 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 14, 2017 - 08:18 AM

I think it's a good idea.  One possible theory, though, for waiting, is that it may be important to for Luke to establish himself as the head coach of the team, before bringing in a defensive guru who has head coaching credentials.   After last season's debacle, Luke should want a defensive expert, but he might benefit this season simply from having better defensive talent (Lopez, KCP, improved Ingram).

There's also the reality, that in addition to the roster having turned over a fair amount since last season, there is a good chance that happens again next year, as well (2 of those guys mentioned above, have a very good chance of being gone).

Do I think he should have a legitimate defensive-expert assistant?  Yes.   Is it necessary to have him in here right now?  Maybe not. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#20 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,208 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted September 14, 2017 - 09:48 AM

Coop-Coop-Coop.... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users