Photo

Lakers waive David Nwaba; hope he clears waivers to re-sign him

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,316 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:25 AM

However, this move isn’t just about giving more money to Caldwell-Pope, and it hopefully won’t be the end of Nwaba’s time with the Lakers, either. In a series of tweets that are now looking prophetic, Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report explained the options available to the Lakers with Nwaba being waived: 

I have Lakers with $17.2 in space, cutting Nwaba drops them by $1.3 mil but then they have empty roster charge of $815k, so basically $500k 

— Eric Pincus (@EricPincus) July 12, 2017 

So KCP can get $500k more or 17.7 roughly if Lakers cut Nwaba, that would allow Lakers to sign Bryant via cap for 3 or 4 years 

If Nwaba clears waivers can re-sign. So more $ for KCP + longer potential deal for Bryant and shot of inking Nwaba back on 2yr, if he clears 

Essentially, waiving Nwaba is a calculated gamble. He was one of the feel-good stories of last season for Los Angeles after going undrafted in the D-League and clawing his way onto the D-Fenders, where he caught the eye of their parent club. An opposing team can now claim Nwaba if they choose. 

However, if this gamble pays off, not only will the Lakers free up the room to give Caldwell-Pope the money he wants, but they could also use the cap space created to give a long-term, team-friendly deal to impressive 42nd-overall pick Thomas Bryant, then add Rajon Rondo with the room exception, and then resign Nwaba. It’s a bit complicated, but this could be a painless move if Nwaba goes unclaimed. 

It’s a risk but hopefully one that will pay off.

Let's hope this pays off and he clears waivers.  If not, he will have a great opportunity elsewhere too!  So either way, wishing the best for Nwaba, but hope he'll clear waivers and be back with us. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#2 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,586 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 12, 2017 - 11:19 AM

I agree, hoping he'll be back with us.

#3 dazz

dazz

• 1,199 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:58 PM

I don't understand this.

In basketballinsiders.com Pincus has all 3 of our first rounders taking up a 120% of the rookie scale, which is the maximum they can be signed for.

But the cap hold is just the rookie scale amount. For all I know teams usually wait until the end of the offseason to sign their 1st rounders to keep some extra cap flexibility.

If the above is true, we'd have enough money to give KCP up to 18.5M without waiving Nwaba

hsl17b.jpg

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,222 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:59 PM

They already signed their rookies

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#5 dazz

dazz

• 1,199 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 01:11 PM

They already signed their rookies

Thanks, so looks like all 3 1st rounders have already signed their contracts. Not sure why they didn't wait, makes no sense to me

hsl17b.jpg

#6 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,233 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 13, 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thanks, so looks like all 3 1st rounders have already signed their contracts. Not sure why they didn't wait, makes no sense to me

I think had they not been signed, the rookies wouldn't have participated in Summer League action.

• dazz likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users