Photo

Do the Lakers make the playoffs this year?

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#161 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 02, 2017 - 05:24 PM

^

Maybe...I certainly don't want to see Ball shooting more until he proves that he's not a horrible shooter/free thrower.

He's stinking it up.

Making BI rookie shooting look good and thats saying something (something bad)

I agree with Jody.

Lonzo creating a shot of the dribble is not the same as Lonzo catch and shoot from LeBron or PG13 creating for him.  With his feet set, he was pretty good in college from 3, if I remember correctly.  I could be wrong.

tenor.gif

#162 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,209 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 02, 2017 - 06:29 PM

Keep shooting is really the only way to solve that.  I want him getting more spot up looks than creating his own looks for 3 though.  

^

Maybe...I certainly don't want to see Ball shooting more until he proves that he's not a horrible shooter/free thrower.

He's stinking it up.

Making BI rookie shooting look good and thats saying something (something bad)

• GCMD likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#163 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 04, 2017 - 02:12 AM

His shooting will come.  His court vision and leadership is far beyond even Russell.

tenor.gif

#164 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,659 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 04, 2017 - 07:26 AM

9% chance to make the playoffs according to: https://projects.fiv...ba-predictions/

#165 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,765 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 04, 2017 - 07:33 AM

56b29fe055e352745c6cc8848f41506f8711d003

• Adam likes this

#166 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 761 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted November 04, 2017 - 10:57 AM

If they play near .500 ball they’ll be in the conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#167 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,368 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 04, 2017 - 12:30 PM

Gonna need Brook Lopez to drop 20-25 a night for us to have a chance. That's the only way the Lakers have been competitive the past couple of games.

Edited by Jackson, November 04, 2017 - 12:31 PM.

#168 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,591 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 04, 2017 - 12:39 PM

Been competitive every game but 1. Lonzo or KCP might play better next game. Team built on depth not 1 person

#169 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,779 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted November 04, 2017 - 01:23 PM

I like that the defense is improved but need better shot selection and free throws just sayin'

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, November 04, 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#170 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,368 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 04, 2017 - 01:48 PM

Been competitive every game but 1. Lonzo or KCP might play better next game. Team built on depth not 1 person

When Brook plays like [expletive], the Lakers are automatically at a disadvantage. The rest of the team gets theirs regardless.

Edited by Jackson, November 04, 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#171 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,336 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 04, 2017 - 02:02 PM

I like that the defense is improved but need better shot selection and free throws just sayin'

Another theory of mine why lonzo doesn't want contact driving to the hoop.

He's not much better than Shaq free throwing currently

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#172 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,665 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 04, 2017 - 02:44 PM

If we were in the East, we'd make the playoffs.

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#173 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,729 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 02:46 PM

I think with kuzma in the starting 5 you'll see more offensive consistency from everyone

People underrate spacing and what it does for everyone. Starting 5 had no spacing. Now it does and it's making everyone's lives easier

Also the dribble drive of kuzma makes life easier for Lopez as it frees him up more often

nance did some things well but his lack of offensive ability hurt Lopez, ball and Ingram offensively. Kuzma adds such a dynamic that everyone around him has an easier time playing basketball.

Right now we have 2 guys who can legitimately shoot the ball in Lopez and kuzma, and we have 4 guys who can get to the rim and pass the ball well

This is the lineup that can make a dent moving forward this season. I'm not sure playoffs are in the cards but I'll say that developmentally I think this starting 5 will see major growth from the youth because

Lopez
Kuzma
Ingram
KCP
Ball

Fits like a glove offensively

Edited by last stand 2.0, November 04, 2017 - 02:47 PM.

• kball likes this
Posted Image

#174 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,665 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 02:47 PM

Another theory of mine why lonzo doesn't want contact driving to the hoop.

He's not much better than Shaq free throwing currently

Lonzo hasn't shot enough of them for us to have a sufficient sample at this point. You know who is a surprisingly poor free throw shooter though? Ingram. And he takes a bunch of them too.

pkray.png

#175 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,729 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 02:47 PM

If kuzma starts the rest of the year and we stay healthy I wouldn't be shocked if we went 38-44 which would be enormous
  • kray28 likes this
Posted Image

#176 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,665 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 02:50 PM

If kuzma starts the rest of the year and we stay healthy I wouldn't be shocked if we went 38-44 which would be enormous

We've been competitive and within striking distance in almost all our games so far...so I can see it too. Assuming health and improving chemistry as time goes on, yeah, we look good.

pkray.png

#177 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,729 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 02:52 PM

Lonzo hasn't shot enough of them for us to have a sufficient sample at this point. You know who is a surprisingly poor free throw shooter though? Ingram. And he takes a bunch of them too.

It's actually a huge problem with Ingram because if you pay attention to him he's getting pretty consistent at getting GREAT looks in the lane and mid range. He actually is getting all star looks offensively in that he's getting to great spots and looks at the basket that the nbas best scorers get

But what's the difference? Connection. He misses a ton of good looks. In my personal viewership of basketball I can't remember a player getting as good of looks under the 3 point line and having equal difficulty connecting

And then you add the free throws. Which is also a huge problem because his ability to get into the lane at will is being marred by being a poor feee throw shooter.

So you have a guy averaging 15ppg. And yet he's not making his free throws or connecting like he should. The question is will that improve because if it does Ingram won't have a problem at all putting up 20ppg. He could be doing that now in a young season but he's that bad at the free throw line and hitting his actual shots

Edited by last stand 2.0, November 04, 2017 - 02:54 PM.

Posted Image

#178 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,336 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 04, 2017 - 04:21 PM

Lonzo hasn't shot enough of them for us to have a sufficient sample at this point. You know who is a surprisingly poor free throw shooter though? Ingram. And he takes a bunch of them too.

Right.

And while i agree, my point is that poor FT shooting is affecting Lonzo's overall game.

While Ingram also needs to up his FT average, its not keeping him from attacking and getting buckets or opening up the defense for others to roll or open shots from the floor

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#179 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,659 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 05, 2017 - 10:33 PM

Looking at the standings and win-margin numbers following the Memphis win.

Based on wins and losses, the Lakers are tied with the Jazz, Pellies and Nuggets for the 8th spot. That's great.

Win margin:

Suns, Kings and Mavs clealy suck (-9.9 to -12.0)

GS, Rockets, OKC, Portland, Clippers, Grizzlies all are good (+12 to +3.7).

The Lakers are grouped with Minny, Nuggets, Jazz, Pellies and Spurs with a win-margin between -0.1 and -0.8.

FiveThirtyEight have bumped the Lakers' odds of making the playoffs to 12%.

Unfortunately, the model they use project the Lakers to win 33 games, which is 9 games less than the next team in the West which is the Grizzlies at 42 wins.

We probably wont make the playoffs, obviously, but the fact that we're 10th in defensive efficiency and really have been right there in just about all of the games we've played tells me that it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

• martin90 likes this

#180 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 962 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted November 05, 2017 - 10:58 PM

next ten are ...

Celtics
Wizards