Photo

Do the Lakers make the playoffs this year?

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#101 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 08, 2017 - 12:32 PM

I think the breakneck speed and versatility of this team will lead to wins against teams we should beat and upsets against some teams we shouldn't.  See Denver under George Karl.

My only worry is holding onto leads.  Leadership and execution at the end of games will determine whether we are a playoff team or a lottery team.

Edited by GCMD, September 08, 2017 - 12:32 PM.

• LACAS likes this

tenor.gif

#102 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,215 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 08, 2017 - 02:03 PM

We don't really have a real halfcourt scoring threat outside of Brook.  I firmly believe if they were able to land PG this offseason they would be a playoff team.  Lonzo is going to be great off the bat but when teams force them to slow it down and execute in the halfcourt I have serious concerns. 

I think the breakneck speed and versatility of this team will lead to wins against teams we should beat and upsets against some teams we shouldn't.  See Denver under George Karl.

My only worry is holding onto leads.  Leadership and execution at the end of games will determine whether we are a playoff team or a lottery team.

• BleedPurple&Gold likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#103 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,238 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted September 08, 2017 - 03:23 PM

Unless Brandon Ingram has a breakout year and he becomes the scoring threat we all think he can become.
  • GCMD likes this

#104 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted September 08, 2017 - 10:35 PM

Last season the Memphis (7th) won 43 games. Portland (8th) won 41. Not sure if those teams will improve. SA, LAC and Utah will take a small step back. NO, Min and Den should improve but the amount of wins needed to make the playoffs might not be much higher. I.e. around .500.

Lakers won 26 while tanking like crazy. Had we actually tried to win every game we could have won 30 games i think.
We've made massive upgrades on 2 starting positions with KCP and Lopez and we should see big improvements from our young guys - particularly Randle and Ingram. How many wins does that get us? Not sure but it could be between 5-10 games which would put us within a couple of games of the 8th seed.

We likely wont make it, but its not impossible.
  • LACAS likes this

#105 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,345 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 09, 2017 - 03:47 AM

^

Sounds about right to me.

My preference is that while we're more than likely to miss them, not being eliminated mathematically until maybe March would be a welcome change.

Would love to be bunched up in the 7-10 spots most of the season to keep it interesting and attract FA's and fans that have bailed on team.

Add in Lonzo maybe winning ROTY, Ingram possibly coming out of nowhere to win MOST IMPROVED, and id call that a pretty successful season with a brighter future

• LACAS likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#106 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,307 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted September 09, 2017 - 05:08 AM

Lets roll!

#107 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 394 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 10, 2017 - 07:50 AM

If we do, it'll be somewhere between the 6-8 seed... That's a very big IF.

I saw maybe 30 games to completion last season. The only problem with their offense is that their not looking to score enough points inside the paint.

Their defense is so painfully bad, there are high school teams that play better defense than them. The utter lack of fundamentals is mind boggling and really discouraging. They don't do the simplest things. Example: Damian Lillard walks it down the court, and has a screen set for him. Randle doesn't shout out the pick, and he sort of just stands there as Lillard will blow by everyone and get an easy bucket. Completely uncontested. And then he looks so angry when the assistants get on his case about it, as if his offensive game justified it (it did not last season).

And what's sad is that it doesn't even have to be someone as good as Lillard. Pretty much any guard that has screens set for him will get wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open uncontested shots. The Lakers do not close out at all. And I don't know if it's because of lack of effort or they genuinely don't know what defense is.

• GCMD and Adam like this

#108 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted September 10, 2017 - 10:48 PM

We don't really have a real halfcourt scoring threat outside of Brook.  I firmly believe if they were able to land PG this offseason they would be a playoff team.  Lonzo is going to be great off the bat but when teams force them to slow it down and execute in the halfcourt I have serious concerns. 

I'm not a big believer in building an offense around ONE guy who can score in the half court.  Too easy to defend unless they are generational talents.  I believe that Luke wants to build the offense around ball movement and sharing so that instead of one pass that gets the ball to a player to execute elite ball handling or post moves, you have elite court vision, basketball IQ and passing that finds every player in position to make BASIC, fundamental basketball plays.

Great passing, ball movement and team work trumps elite 1-on-5 basketball, IMHO.

Luke, IMHO, is a lot like Phil in his philosophy:  mediocre players who "think" the game at an elite/other-worldly level.  See BOS and Brad Stevens.  IMHO, Luke would rather have a team full of players that just want to play the game the right way over a stacked team of me-first players.

I saw maybe 30 games to completion last season. The only problem with their offense is that their not looking to score enough points inside the paint.

Their defense is so painfully bad, there are high school teams that play better defense than them. The utter lack of fundamentals is mind boggling and really discouraging. They don't do the simplest things. Example: Damian Lillard walks it down the court, and has a screen set for him. Randle doesn't shout out the pick, and he sort of just stands there as Lillard will blow by everyone and get an easy bucket. Completely uncontested. And then he looks so angry when the assistants get on his case about it, as if his offensive game justified it (it did not last season).

And what's sad is that it doesn't even have to be someone as good as Lillard. Pretty much any guard that has screens set for him will get wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open uncontested shots. The Lakers do not close out at all. And I don't know if it's because of lack of effort or they genuinely don't know what defense is.

Screens also.  Allowed a lot of 1-on1 play because we couldn't figure out how to do the little things to help each other out.  I think we added 6 players who just exemplify Team Work and who just flat out get it.

Lonzo

KCP

Kuzma

Lopez

Hart

T Bryant

Caruso

All of these guys just want to make a difference and are willing to do the little things to help the TEAM be better.  IMHO, these guys appear to be more coachable in demeanor and less egocentric than the guys we lost (Russell, Young, Lou).

If we can get Randle to buy in, this team will overachieve by a LOT.  If he doesn't, that's what trades are there for.

tenor.gif

#109 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,345 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 03:09 AM

One thing for sure, pretty much no way this team ends the season with all 4 (Randle, Nance, Kuzma, Deng) on it.

One for sure has to go. Maybe even 2. And you can argue a case for moving 3 (just keeping Kuz)

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#110 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,664 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted September 11, 2017 - 03:42 AM

One thing for sure, pretty much no way this team ends the season with all 4 (Randle, Nance, Kuzma, Deng) on it.

One for sure has to go. Maybe even 2. And you can argue a case for moving 3 (just keeping Kuz)

I agree to some degree.

I think they'll find minutes early on for the guys they would like to move so i'd expect Clarkson, Deng and Randle to get plenty of mintues. As a result i think guys like Zubac and Bryant will struggle to find minutes, whereas Deng/Kuz will get mintes at the 3 and Randle/Nance will get mins at the 5.

#111 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,554 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 11, 2017 - 05:26 AM

It's like they never tried to play defense.   This became pretty clear after Russell got hurt and the losing began (and then never ended).

It seemed like there was clearly no attempt to turn things around by turning up the defense.    It landed them Lonzo. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#112 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,598 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 11, 2017 - 12:21 PM

Lol. Keep Kuz and get rid of Nance and Randle

#113 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,345 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 01:06 PM

Lol. Keep Kuz and get rid of Nance and Randle

If LA is going after LeBron why not?

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#114 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,675 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted September 11, 2017 - 03:49 PM

They'll be better, but no playoffs yet. For the playoffs they'll need to be able to defend. 

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#115 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 12:44 AM

They'll be better, but no playoffs yet. For the playoffs they'll need to be able to defend. 

Not necessarily.  

To win in the playoffs, yes, you need to be able to defend.

To get to the playoffs, you need to be able to score and score a lot. 

That's the reason George Karl had only missed the playoffs around 5 times before agreeing to coach DMC in SAC.  His teams played fast and loose and routinely just outran and outscored the other teams.  They weren't bad defensively...just not great.  That's also why George Karl hasn't had a whole lot of success in the postseason.

Running on makes and sharing the ball will account for more wins than individual play based on our current experience and talent level at each position.  That's why I'm not betting against playoffs this year.

• UKUGA and kray28 like this

tenor.gif

#116 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,554 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 06:30 AM

Not necessarily.  

To win in the playoffs, yes, you need to be able to defend.

To get to the playoffs, you need to be able to score and score a lot. 

That's the reason George Karl had only missed the playoffs around 5 times before agreeing to coach DMC in SAC.  His teams played fast and loose and routinely just outran and outscored the other teams.  They weren't bad defensively...just not great.  That's also why George Karl hasn't had a whole lot of success in the postseason.

Running on makes and sharing the ball will account for more wins than individual play based on our current experience and talent level at each position.  That's why I'm not betting against playoffs this year.

That's a pretty good take on Karl.  As a coach, he recognized that most teams won't bring it every night.  If you do, there are cheap wins to gain a long the way, quite a few of them.

He was also the first head coach to lose to a #8 seed in the play-offs.  So, there. 

• GCMD likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#117 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,252 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted September 12, 2017 - 11:46 AM

check this out

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#118 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 11:41 PM

That's a pretty good take on Karl.  As a coach, he recognized that most teams won't bring it every night.  If you do, there are cheap wins to gain a long the way, quite a few of them.

He was also the first head coach to lose to a #8 seed in the play-offs.  So, there. 

His teams were ALWAYS fun to watch (until DMC and SAC).  He took players and built offenses around their strengths while getting his entire team to play as one.

You're not going to like this but I think Luke has a chance to be the next George Karl...IMHO, that's more likely than him becoming the next Phil Jackson.  That's why I'm worried we don't have a legit defensive guru on staff.

Edited by GCMD, September 12, 2017 - 11:42 PM.

tenor.gif

#119 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,554 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:39 AM

His teams were ALWAYS fun to watch (until DMC and SAC).  He took players and built offenses around their strengths while getting his entire team to play as one.

You're not going to like this but I think Luke has a chance to be the next George Karl...IMHO, that's more likely than him becoming the next Phil Jackson.  That's why I'm worried we don't have a legit defensive guru on staff.

I thought something similar the first few weeks of last season when we were actually winning games.   The team played hard and had fun.  The no defense showed that we wouldn't be competitive in the play-offs, but we were definitely sneaking up on teams.

First step, I'd like to get that November '16 enthusiasm back. 

• GCMD likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#120 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 10:36 AM

I thought something similar the first few weeks of last season when we were actually winning games.   The team played hard and had fun.  The no defense showed that we wouldn't be competitive in the play-offs, but we were definitely sneaking up on teams.

First step, I'd like to get that November '16 enthusiasm back. 

No doubt and that's why I believe we will contend for that 8th spot.  If a few things go our way (injuries, trades, players and Luke overachieving), I believe we sneak into the playoffs.  But that's not good enough, IMHO.  We need to be thinking about laying the foundation for contention.

It's too late to talk about doing that now...season is right around the corner.  I'd love to see them start to interview guys to come on as The Assistant Head Coach / top Defensive Assistant.  I'd love to see them bring in Larry Brown as the "Tex Winters" for the defensive side, a consultant that helps them instill an elite, suffocating defensive gameplan while not actually being an on-court coach.  Maybe even bring Mark Jackson in as a consultant or camp assistant to teach defensive principles that WORK...LOL.

I have NO PROBLEM with MWP being a defensive player development type guy but I'm not ok with the keys to the entire defense being handed to him...not yet.  If Larry Brown was the consultant and MWP acted as the on-court executor for him, sure. 

Point being, we will have to address this issue eventually.  Luke's a great offensive mind...that's what got him the job.  He will eventually get it done on that end.  But will it be enough to contend?  Or just sell tickets?

• UKUGA likes this

tenor.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users