Photo

Do the Lakers make the playoffs this year?

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#81 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,587 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 18, 2017 - 12:30 PM

Lakers aren't making the playoffs without playing any D, and we are alergic to that

We aren't making the play-offs, but I think the defense will be better.

Ingram improved + KCP will be a nice boost. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#82 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,291 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 05:49 PM

2015/16        Record   Ortg    #    Drtg    #

1. Wariors      73-9       114.5   1    103.8   6

2. Spurs         67-15     110.3   4     99.0    1

3. Thunder     55-27     113.1   2   105.6  13

4. Clippers     53-29     108.3   7   103.8    5

5. Blazers      44-38     108.8   6   108.0   20

6. Mavs         42-40     106.7  11   107.0  17

7. Grizzlies    42-40     105.4  19   107.8  19

8. Rockets    41-41     108.3    8   108.1  21

15. Lakers    17-65     101.6  29   111.6  30      

2016/17      Record   Ortg    #    Drtg    #

1. Wariors      67-15     115.6   1   104.0    2

2. Spurs         61-21     111.1   9   103.5    1

3. Rockets     55-27     114.7   2   109.0  18

4. Clippers     51-31     112.7   5   108.2  12

5. Jazz           51-31     109.6  12  105.3    3

6. Thunder    47-35     108.3  16   107.5 10

7. Grizzlies    43-39     107.7  18   107.1   8

8. Blazers      41-41     110.3  11   110.8  24

14. Lakers    26-56     106.0  24   113.0  30  

I don't know about the record, but considering how the WCF playoff teams played in last 2 years, I think we can make a significant jump in offensive/defensive performance. Offensively I have us ranked at Top 10-12 due to fast paced offense (which will rank at Top 3) and improved efficiency. Defensively it will be anywhere between 20-26. How much of that will translate to wins, we will see. Usually every season injuries and trades change the rankings.

Edited by Tensai, July 18, 2017 - 05:49 PM.

fXlFKv8.gif

#83 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,710 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 18, 2017 - 06:11 PM

Lakers aren't making the playoffs without playing any D, and we are alergic to that

We aren't making the play-offs, but I think the defense will be better.

Ingram improved + KCP will be a nice boost. 

Perimeter D, yes we might get better, but between Randle and Lopez down there I think we'll keep allowing easy buckets once they break the first line.

#84 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,559 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 06:43 PM

Lavar's got a point.

• LACAS likes this

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#85 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 10:47 PM

I'm going to go on record here and say if our guys play we think they can, I believe the Lakers will be in the playoffs. I make this assumption based on the following:

1. Lopez is a vastly improved option over Mozgov. Lopez has his weaknesses, namely rebounding, but he boxes out his man and that should create more opportunities for a player like Randle to get all those rebounds. Lopez will also be good for Randles game. Helps stretch the floor to give Randle more space to operate down low. 

2. KCP = Russel more or less offensively. Russel was slightly better and more varied on where he shot from, but for the SG role in this offense, catch and shoot is more preferred. 

3. KCP >> Russel defensively. Hands down, I don't think anyone can disagree with this. Ingram is supposed to be an emerging two-way player, so with improved defense from Ingram, Hart, Kuzma, and KCP, I think we can start to establish some kind of defensive identity and culture. We don't even one right now or even the last few years so the only place to go from here is up. 

4. Lonzo Ball. His passing is contagious and when players get more touches, they enjoy the game more. For those of us that play, doesn't matter what position 1-5. if you even suspect that the ball is going to come your way, you're more likely to be engaged. And that energy feeds the defensive effort. I've played the 4,5 growing up and it was very annoying how guards wouldn't pass the ball. They'd pound the rock and jack up the shot and then all the energy i spent posting up, slashing and cutting, etc would go to waste. 1, 2, 3 times and now my effort and intensity on the defensive end would wane a little. I'm a team player and i like to hang my hat on defense so i'd suck it up, but it wasn't fun. only way for me to get the ball was if i decided not to make the better pass. Lonzo Ball took a mediocre UCLA team from 15 wins to 31 wins with practically the same roster and same coaching staff. The team didn't magically get better. It was the same players just playing better. I expect to see that translate to this season. Disclaimer!! I know Lonzo has his weaknesses as well. His shot has been really bad so far but we don't need him to be taking shots. he's there to pass. the shot will come soon enough. One thing that is often overlooked, he took a mess load of 3s in college right. he shot them at a 40 some odd % clip. of those threes, about a third of them were from NBA range I believe and the other 2/3 would be a long jumper in the nba. So for those who say Lonzo can't shoot a midrange, sure his jumper is wack, but he has that range. so i expect his 10-18 field goal percentage to be pretty low, but 18+ will be much better. 

5. Ingram has improved. He was showing improvement after the all star break and he seems stronger, faster, better shot, more confident. Really excited to see his growth this season

6. Randle - contract year, best physical condition he's been in, strong body is even stronger, should come in with some kind of better shot. hopefully to the three point range. I don't expect him to take 5 threes a game, but i'm hoping he can take 2 a game and make em at even a 35% rate would be good for this year. just keep defenses honest. he likes to pound it down low and thats cool as long as it isn't his only move. he also needs a more reliable jumper. again, keep defenses honest. 

7. Improved bench - hart is a seasoned college player. won a championship so he should be able to handle the bright lights a little better. has some defensive chops as well. Kuzma - he's improved his jumper and three point shot from college already. we saw that in the combine and in the summer league games. has some defensive chops as well. was happy to see him trying. to that point - it doesn't even matter how good of a defender our guys our. we need that effort and intensity more than anything else. with the addition of KCP, clarkson gets moved to the bench. he's good as a firecracker off the bench. not a starting guard. he'll have a defined role and that stability will really help him out. he also doesn't want to get traded so he'll have to prove he belongs. 

8. We have to play at least 0.500 ball to even consider the 8th seed. We play each team in east twice (one home and one away) for 30 games. 4 games each against the teams in our division for a total of 16 games. and we play the 10 other teams in our conference 3 or 4 times for 36 games. The east getting even weaker means we should win more games against the east. And this is where it gets interesting. I feel a lot of people are thinking that oh my God, the west got even stronger!!! There are only so many games to win!! each of those teams can't win 60 games!! So i'm thinking that means the top teams in the west will hamstring each other by taking each other out. 

9. Combine all these factors together and I think the lakers sneak into the playoffs. Last year we started the first twenty games through december i believe 10-10 and then nick and russel got hurt and that messed up the rotations, etc, etc and we only won 15-16 games the last four months of the season. with good health, and absolutely no need to tank and all the incentive in the world to stick it to the sixers and the celtics, and to court some high level free agents, we're going to try and win as many games as possible. If this squad makes the playoffs, we'll definitely have everyones attention next summer.

What do y'all think?

Yes....45 wins and you heard it here first.

• LACAS and Adam like this

tenor.gif

#86 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 10:53 PM

Perimeter D, yes we might get better, but between Randle and Lopez down there I think we'll keep allowing easy buckets once they break the first line.

I think you will see a much better version of Randle both ways.  This is the offense he needs to be in because now, all of the little things we've been begging for him to do will lead DIRECTLY to him getting scoring opportunities.

P&R - Lonzo will find him

Off Ball Screens - Lonzo will find him

D Rebounding - he can now push with freedom because EVERYONE will spread the D by filling the lanes

Steals/Blocks - see D Rebounding

Randle is motivated by scoring...his chances to score will depend on him doing the little things.  He's my preseason pick for MIP (most improved player) and it's not even close.

• trips likes this

tenor.gif

#87 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 19, 2017 - 02:24 AM

I can see our defense being between 16-24 this year.  Which would be a vast improvement over 29 or 30 which it has been for the past 4 years. 

Edited by Majesty, July 19, 2017 - 02:24 AM.

• GCMD and LACAS like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#88 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 19, 2017 - 04:16 AM

No longer tanking should move us up a handful off spots alone.

• GCMD, LACAS and Adam like this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#89 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,389 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted July 19, 2017 - 06:19 AM

I think we'll be alright, Im not worried, its an exciting time... tell them Lavar!

• GCMD likes this

#90 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,796 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted August 17, 2017 - 05:43 AM

I' m concerned with Zo's D its vitally important that we stop guards Esp. in the WC being a rookie I will not expect him to be more than that his first year, alot is on the coaching staffs ability to teach and his desire to improve. During the season there just isn't time to do much. It's heads up we're running em outta da gym ! 40 wins would be superb, this will test our younger players late in games as the season progresses. Get ready for exciting ball again! Let's get em!!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, August 17, 2017 - 05:44 AM.

#91 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,796 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 05:46 AM

News flash we never tanked just played poorly. Or the last few games would have been losses.

#92 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,796 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 05:46 AM

[quote name="kball" post="1842230" timestamp="1500466592"]
No longer tanking should move us up a handful off spotsπŸ­πŸŽ‚πŸ°πŸ§πŸ¦for 🍾🍾🍾

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, August 17, 2017 - 05:47 AM.

#93 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 323 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 17, 2017 - 06:04 AM

9. Combine all these factors together and I think the lakers sneak into the playoffs. Last year we started the first twenty games through december i believe 10-10 and then nick and russel got hurt and that messed up the rotations, etc, etc and we only won 15-16 games the last four months of the season. with good health, and absolutely no need to tank and all the incentive in the world to stick it to the sixers and the celtics, and to court some high level free agents, we're going to try and win as many games as possible. If this squad makes the playoffs, we'll definitely have everyones attention next summer.

What do y'all think?

I had question about Russell's injury and I heard Luke question that also in some interview. I think that is what messed up the season. I believe went down hill not because injuries but because of power play in the locker room. I believe that may be one of the reason's why Russell was traded.  I believe locker room unease costed us last season. We shouldn't expect some of these things to come out because teams are trying to protect the stocks of their players. Russell free locker room is going to help alot this year. 

#94 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 323 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 06:09 AM

That is not true. Lopez is top 10 shot blocker in the league for the past 5 years. How is that not going to help us in interior D?

#95 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 323 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 06:14 AM

People think that is a joke. Right after our slump after out 10-10 start we move to tank mode. After our first losing streak we moved to tank mode. This year there will be not need to do that.

Going to be very interesting.  

• UKUGA likes this

#96 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,587 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 07:23 AM

I can see our defense being between 16-24 this year.  Which would be a vast improvement over 29 or 30 which it has been for the past 4 years. 

24 would not be a vast improvement over 29

Don't feed the trolls. 

#97 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,587 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 07:24 AM

That is not true. Lopez is top 10 shot blocker in the league for the past 5 years. How is that not going to help us in interior D?

It's going to be better than Mozgov hanging out at the rim with his arms up, backing away from the offensive player.

Randle has to bring it, though.  We know the 2 perimeter guys (Ingram and KCP) will do work. Randle has to keep his head in the game on this end, and this could be a pleasant bright spot. 

• GCMD likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#98 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 08:57 AM

I' m concerned with Zo's D its vitally important that we stop guards Esp. in the WC being a rookie I will not expect him to be more than that his first year, alot is on the coaching staffs ability to teach and his desire to improve. During the season there just isn't time to do much. It's heads up we're running em outta da gym ! 40 wins would be superb, this will test our younger players late in games as the season progresses. Get ready for exciting ball again! Let's get em!!

I'm not as concerned with Lonzo's D as a I was before we signed both KCP and Caruso.  Both of those guys are good on-ball defenders who can funnel the ball.  Lonzo is a VERY smart off-ball team defender who (like Nash and Curry) have quick hands and good instincts playing the passing lanes.

We do need an elite DEFENSIVE Assistant but I have a feeling we will be courting certain guys for this position all season with an eye of how the team will be constructed after next offseason.

It's going to be better than Mozgov hanging out at the rim with his arms up, backing away from the offensive player.

Randle has to bring it, though.  We know the 2 perimeter guys (Ingram and KCP) will do work. Randle has to keep his head in the game on this end, and this could be a pleasant bright spot. 

Everything about Randle screams "Small Ball 5".  Would be nice if he could hit the 3 but as long as he sets good HARD screens, I think he will be OK.  Defensively, he's faster and more agile than most Cs in the league while being just as strong.  Sliding him down also allows us to play Nance and Kuzma more with Ingram/Randle...

Ingram

Nance/Kuzma

Randle

That's a very fast and versatile 3/4/5 lineup.  Switching and help D should be no problem (at least, on paper).  Would allow us to front more, help-and-recover and dig into driving lanes to create more turnovers as a group.

Individually?  Absolutely no confidence that Randle will become a much better 1-on-1 defender.  Defense takes focus and effort.  Until he finds the proper role on offense, he's always going to give half-hearted effort and lack focus defensively.

• LACAS likes this

tenor.gif

#99 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,587 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 12:03 PM

I'm not as concerned with Lonzo's D as a I was before we signed both KCP and Caruso.  Both of those guys are good on-ball defenders who can funnel the ball.  Lonzo is a VERY smart off-ball team defender who (like Nash and Curry) have quick hands and good instincts playing the passing lanes.

We do need an elite DEFENSIVE Assistant but I have a feeling we will be courting certain guys for this position all season with an eye of how the team will be constructed after next offseason.

Everything about Randle screams "Small Ball 5".  Would be nice if he could hit the 3 but as long as he sets good HARD screens, I think he will be OK.  Defensively, he's faster and more agile than most Cs in the league while being just as strong.  Sliding him down also allows us to play Nance and Kuzma more with Ingram/Randle...

Ingram

Nance/Kuzma

Randle

That's a very fast and versatile 3/4/5 lineup.  Switching and help D should be no problem (at least, on paper).  Would allow us to front more, help-and-recover and dig into driving lanes to create more turnovers as a group.

Individually?  Absolutely no confidence that Randle will become a much better 1-on-1 defender.  Defense takes focus and effort.  Until he finds the proper role on offense, he's always going to give half-hearted effort and lack focus defensively.

I'm hopeful that Lopez can stretch the floor enough to prevent the need to have Randle also hang out at the three point line.  Unless he made a huge leap over the summer, I just don't like him out there.  If we have 4 other guys who can hit from three, then that should take some pressure off Randle to be a threat from there, as well. 

• GCMD and LACAS like this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#100 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,680 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 29, 2017 - 05:40 AM

If Luke is the coach we believe he can be.... and Lonzo can be a game changer from day 1....
Then i can envision a scenario where Randle,Brook and KCP score at high clip and efficiently
Meanwhile Ingram has enough to finish out hames effectively because his burden is lowered by Lonzo's generalship.

I can see a bench mob spearheaded by Clarkson Kuzma and Nance being an energetic punch inkecting even more energy in the team.

You have to have career years by everyone which is feasible.
Brook could be extremely focused in a contract year. He is a good shooter so Julius(also in a contract year) getting great looks from inside due to better spacing plus being in better shape ....Ingram just constantly improving and KCP entering his prime along with guys like Clarkson and Nance.

So you would have Lonzo at 8 6 8
KCP at 15 ppg 3 3s a game on 38 percent
Ingram at 17 shooting 42 overall. 35 from 3.
Randle at 12 10 4 shooting 52 percent.
Brook at 15 on 55 percent. 50 from 3. 2 makes per.

Bench leading leads in fastbreak points and steals
  • Adam likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users