Photo

Do the Lakers make the playoffs this year?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,547 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 15, 2017 - 08:50 PM

Summer League semi finals :D

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#62 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 15, 2017 - 09:03 PM

First of all, you can reference KD all you want and pat yourself on the back for it, but you weren't even the first one on this board to mention it iirc. Not sure why you're referencing being right about a crazy situation where KD surprised the entire league and decided that he needed to join a super team to win a ring. But hey congrats, I know you like proving to others you're right about stuff.

Anyways, you're really as clueless as can be on this PG situation. George has been interested in the Lakers for months now, but you want to suddenly spin it to him only wanting to play for a winner. Other things matter. I'm not sure why this idea is so difficult for you to understand. Does he want to win, yes...who doesn't, but he's a local dude who has a lot to gain from coming here off the court, and he sees THAT as what's best for him, regardless of whatever narrative you want to push. My reasoning is based on facts and actual reports from the game's trusted reporters and PG himself saying he thought the Lakers would trade for him and he hoped they would. Yours is based on what exactly?

I understand you're pissed at the current regime, and don't want them to succeed or land any free agents, but you're entire line of thinking on this PG situation is delusional. Actually, I'm just going to stop typing and ignore your fantasy take on this from here on out.

Like I said, you can keep assuming it's an absolute, like he owes us something. He's going to pick what's  best for him, not the Lakers, and if they don't coincide, he won't care.  He doesn't owe us anything. 

It's not about 'want' it's about depending on more than 'hope' and actually using the evidence of what free agents have went with the past 5 off-seasons in terms of their best interests. I'd love to land Paul George and LeBron in the same off-season.  However the last 5 free agencies that show what the interests are in free agents I don't see LeBron leaving his "easy Finals every year" and George leaving a good situation or finding a better situation when your other two best players are two 19 year olds.    If that free agent wants to win.  Which George said he has. So I'll go with that instead. 

LaMarcus Aldridge said he wanted to retire a Trailblazer, went to the Spurs the next off-season.  George doesn't owe us anything cause of what he said a year in advance, and I won't convince myself he does.   Having this kind of perspective doesn't mean I wouldn't love if it happened, but going off the evidence of the past 5 off-seasons and free agencies I've yet to be convinced.  And it's gonna take more than "Well he said/promised.." to convince me.   

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2017 - 09:10 PM.

• DaSmoothOperator likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#63 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,121 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 16, 2017 - 04:03 AM

Like I said, you can keep assuming it's an absolute, like he owes us something. He's going to pick what's  best for him, not the Lakers, and if they don't coincide, he won't care.  He doesn't owe us anything. 

It's not about 'want' it's about depending on more than 'hope' and actually using the evidence of what free agents have went with the past 5 off-seasons in terms of their best interests. I'd love to land Paul George and LeBron in the same off-season.  However the last 5 free agencies that show what the interests are in free agents I don't see LeBron leaving his "easy Finals every year" and George leaving a good situation or finding a better situation when your other two best players are two 19 year olds.    If that free agent wants to win.  Which George said he has. So I'll go with that instead. 

LaMarcus Aldridge said he wanted to retire a Trailblazer, went to the Spurs the next off-season.  George doesn't owe us anything cause of what he said a year in advance, and I won't convince myself he does.   Having this kind of perspective doesn't mean I wouldn't love if it happened, but going off the evidence of the past 5 off-seasons and free agencies I've yet to be convinced.  And it's gonna take more than "Well he said/promised.." to convince me.   

What if a 210lb 2018 - 19  Ingram goes off? Why would you need a 30 mil PG at the same position?

#64 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted July 16, 2017 - 04:16 AM

What if Ingram averages 20ppg this season, and Ball adds to that 14ppg 9.5apg 6rpg. Will we seriously talk about this FA, or that FA come next summer?

If you think about it, it is not that far-fetched scenario. We can create our own superstars in the nick of a time.

• Majesty, ChichoGarcy and LACAS like this

fXlFKv8.gif

#65 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,198 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 16, 2017 - 05:31 AM

ingram WILL Average 20,0 ppg

• MaceWindu likes this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#66 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,204 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 16, 2017 - 05:41 AM

For some reason Ingram averaging 20ppg wouldnt shock me... I think this is his year!

• MaceWindu likes this

#67 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,022 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 16, 2017 - 05:53 AM

What if Ingram averages 20ppg this season, and Ball adds to that 14ppg 9.5apg 6rpg. Will we seriously talk about this FA, or that FA come next summer?

If you think about it, it is not that far-fetched scenario. We can create our own superstars in the nick of a time.

If this happens, i'd think Laker priorities would be LBJ, followed by Boogie, followed by PG.

And it still might be in that order regardless.

Could be wrong though.

I'm at least more excited about this season after 3 (4 if you count brook) developments.

- Ball looks like the real deal

-KCP signing out of nowhere

-Kuzma looking like an absolute steal! who i have no problem with taking minutes from GAME 1 from Deng and Nance

• UKUGA, MaceWindu and LACAS like this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#68 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted July 16, 2017 - 06:03 AM

If this happens, i'd think Laker priorities would be LBJ, followed by Boogie, followed by PG.

And it still might be in that order regardless.

Could be wrong though.

I'm at least more excited about this season after 3 (4 if you count brook) developments.

- Ball looks like the real deal

-KCP signing out of nowhere

-Kuzma looking like an absolute steal! who i have no problem with taking minutes from GAME 1 from Deng and Nance

Your signature may eventually come true this season.

fXlFKv8.gif

#69 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 16, 2017 - 10:01 AM

What if a 210lb 2018 - 19  Ingram goes off? Why would you need a 30 mil PG at the same position?

if Ingram has a great season, then we may want to consider our options. 

if Ingram has a true breakout season alongside Lonzo and Randle, then we may want to change course and go the OKC route and continue building around them as they get better and lead us to more victories.  

Our youngsters having a breakout season also creates an easier selling point to free agents about us potentially breaking through, but at the same time if Ingram came out next season and put up something like 18/6/4 then we should probably invest in that instead of trying to throw all our monkeys into a basket with George.   

It may even signal a different free agent to go after like at a weaker position. 

If Randle and Ingram go off next year and Lonzo has a solid rookie season we should probably look to fill the void at shooting guard if we lose KCP or our center role if we lose Brook Lopez. Which would be DeMarcus Cousins though people have their reservations, this is the season for Cousins to prove what he can do on a talented roster and how his attitude will be. So we'll see. 

But if Ingram and Randle have breakout seasons, and Lonzo has a very solid rookie year. Then our free agent target priority should be a combination of DeMarcus Cousins and Avery Bradley perhaps. Randle would probably be huge in trying to recruit Cousins to get here anyway considering how close they are and the fact that after seeing Randle's results that Cousins hired the same guy that transformed Randle's body and they seem to work out on the same days and Cousins is seeing very strong results now. 

So considering what attitude/success Cousins brings this year to New Orleans and in general, if Ingram and Randle have breakout seasons, Cousins may and should take priority over George if that's the case. 

The benefit however is that if no one does come in 2018 and we have to re-sign Lopez and KCP, the good news is that our young core at youngest are 19 and at oldest are 23 and had breakout seasons already, so more would be coming and other free agencies such as 2019 and 2020 would offer other opportunities to nab a max free agent, and due to the talent of our young core, we can have more victories leading into those free agencies and thus a bigger and better selling point. 

• MaceWindu likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#70 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,092 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 16, 2017 - 10:13 AM

if Ingram has a great season, then we may want to consider our options.

if Ingram has a true breakout season alongside Lonzo and Randle, then we may want to change course and go the OKC route and continue building around them as they get better and lead us to more victories.

Our youngsters having a breakout season also creates an easier selling point to free agents about us potentially breaking through, but at the same time if Ingram came out next season and put up something like 18/6/4 then we should probably invest in that instead of trying to throw all our monkeys into a basket with George.

It may even signal a different free agent to go after like at a weaker position.

If Randle and Ingram go off next year and Lonzo has a solid rookie season we should probably look to fill the void at shooting guard if we lose KCP or our center role if we lose Brook Lopez. Which would be DeMarcus Cousins though people have their reservations, this is the season for Cousins to prove what he can do on a talented roster and how his attitude will be. So we'll see.

But if Ingram and Randle have breakout seasons, and Lonzo has a very solid rookie year. Then our free agent target priority should be a combination of DeMarcus Cousins and Avery Bradley perhaps. Randle would probably be huge in trying to recruit Cousins to get here anyway considering how close they are and the fact that after seeing Randle's results that Cousins hired the same guy that transformed Randle's body and they seem to work out on the same days and Cousins is seeing very strong results now.

So considering what attitude/success Cousins brings this year to New Orleans and in general, if Ingram and Randle have breakout seasons, Cousins may and should take priority over George if that's the case.

The benefit however is that if no one does come in 2018 and we have to re-sign Lopez and KCP, the good news is that our young core at youngest are 19 and at oldest are 23 and had breakout seasons already, so more would be coming and other free agencies such as 2019 and 2020 would offer other opportunities to nab a max free agent, and due to the talent of our young core, we can have more victories leading into those free agencies and thus a bigger and better selling point.

lol Dude we are going after PG regardless of what anyone does on this team next season.
  • bfc1125roy likes this

#71 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 16, 2017 - 10:45 AM

Why?
Minny with longest playoff drought in NBA.
Give them a break

Exactly. And Philly last successful season was Iverson vs Shaq

#72 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,696 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 17, 2017 - 09:27 AM

Never lower your possible expectations Lakers could win 40 games, depends on health chemistry and closing out games. Jmtc

#73 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,696 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 09:27 AM

Famous double post move

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, July 17, 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#74 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,696 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 09:56 AM

on what your true goals are fillingvseats or a chip

#75 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 88 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted July 18, 2017 - 08:40 AM

After watching all of summer league, I'm very excited for the next round of games starting September 30th. Lakers vs Minnesota. The second or third game will be versus the Denver Nuggets. Two teams we will need to do better than to make it to the playoffs. 

I think this team is already much improved since last season. 

- Lopez >> Mozgov - neither are elite rebounders but Lopez spreads the floor and Randle is a rebounding beast and Lonzo rebounds very well for a guard. Lopez also makes the game easier for Randle

- Randle - he's in the best shape of his life, contract year, better fit in this offense with this roster. he got engaged last summer. had a kid in december. his family is settled in LA rn. doubt he wants to move em. he knows his situation relative to the teams salary cap next year. Front office already said they're looking to add two max free agents. he knows he can potentially nab one of those max slots if he balls out. I'll say it right now, i agree with majesty that if lonzo, ingram, randle, kuzma, kcp, lopez all ball out, we should pay our own guy ala OKC. Paul George is an amazing player, but if Ingram and Co. have breakout seasons or near breakout seasons, who would 30 million be better spent on? Paul George? DeMarcus Cousins? some are talking about LBJ but i'm not counting on him rn. Maybe we re-sign our own guys and save some cap space for the '19 free agency class or even the '20 class. we got options now and aren't as beholden to a free agent to right the ship and save us

- KCP >= JC, Russell, NIck Young, Lou. KCP also brings that defensive intensity. Make what you will of his declining numbers - I'll say it was the nagging shoulder injury and not the best usage (heavy minutes etc) - he'll do much better with this lakers squad

- KCP also gives JC a more defined role off the bench. every team needs that sparkplug off the bench and JC can be that guy for us. he has his flaws sure, but they're not as offensive when he comes off the bench. 

- Lonzo >> Russel as a point guard. Lonzo is what we need. We don't need 25+ ppg from him, we need a leader, someone to effect the culture, elevate his teammates. Just from summer league play alone we can see he's already doing that.

- Kuzma!! wow, he's simply played amazing. He's not going to be able to sustain a 48% from 3pt range, but we can reasonably expect him to shoot around 40%, +/- 3%. he runs the floor well, decent defender, passes well, shoots well, doesn't slack off. we got our stretch-4. some lineups we'll want lopez to stretch the floor and randle to work it down low. sometimes we'll go small ball and have randle down low and kuzma stretching the floor. he gives us more options. very versatile player. 

- Brandon Ingram is much improved. Looks bigger and stronger. more confident. He's always been a skilled player, we've just been waiting for his body to catch up. I think he'll have a breakout season. expect 20+ ppg from him. 

- more defined roles for everyone, another year together, half the starters on contract years, and lonzo creating a pass first culture. idk if y'all saw the game last night (SL championship game vs blazers), but there was one sequence of events in the second quarter i think. it was in transition. kuzma misses a shot right in the paint. it hits the rim. kuzma jumps out of bounds and tips it a slashing caruso to the basket. he takes one dribble to the left or spins/turns to the left and brings the attention of two defenders. no look behind the back bounce pass to kuzma. on ball and weak side defender crash on him. Kuzma only touches it for like one second before he already passed it to a matt thomas for a corner three. could have been travis wear not sure. whole thing took like three seconds. what impressed me the most was that kuzma or caruso could have easily tired to force a shot in that situation but our guys have been looking to pass the ball. Vander freaking blue had like four or five assists against the mavs i think. and he came in to summer league taking every chance to pound the rock and was a ball stopper. 

so taking all this together, i no longer think we'll be sneaking into the playoffs. I think we have a legit chance to be in the playoffs. not saying we're going to the WCF, but i don't think it's as much as a stretch as it was before (to make it to the playoffs, not the WCF. that only happens in my dreams). The two games versus the T'wolves and Nuggets on September 30th and October 1st will be very telling. Really looking forward to those games. 

•    , Majesty and Olabebeh like this

#76 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 758 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted July 18, 2017 - 08:48 AM

Good analysis and well thought out points Adam.

See old forum peeps. People with less that 2000 posts are also able to form opinions ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Adam likes this

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#77 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 88 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 10:10 AM

These are the teams battling it out for the fifth through eight seeds in the playoffs this year: 

T'wolves, nuggets, pelicans, grizzlies, blazers, clippers, jazz.

We need to be better than three of them. I'm calling the jazz, clippers, and i'll take the grizzlies to be worse than the nuggets this year. 

T'wolves and Pelicans fight for the 5th and 6th seed.

Lakers, Blazers and Nuggets fight for the 7th and 8th seed. 

warriors, rockets, thunder, and spurs take the top four seeds.

jazz, clippers, and grizzlies will be in no-mans land.

suns, kings, and mavs will be in the basement this year.  

The Clippers and Jazz won 51 games last year. The clippers lost CP3 and the Jazz lost Hayward and Hill. They both have great pieces in Blake Griffen + DeAndre Jordan and Rudy Gobert, but I honestly believe the Lakers can be better than them. And I'm not saying that as a Laker fan. The Clippers basically replaced half their team in the CP3 trade. They'll need to make some adjustments. Blake Griffen is unfortunately almost always getting injured and they're going to be using him a lot more now that CP3 is gone. Danilo Galinari is a good player but how much does he really move the needle for them? 

The Grizzlies won 43 games last year. They're a year older. They lost Zach Randolph. Tony Allen will be 35 1/2 when he starts the season. 36 in January. Tony Allen vs Father Time. I think he'll be good but not as good this year. How much more can Marc Gasol do? He added a three point shot to his game last year. He's always been a good passer. Good jumpshot. Great defender. '14-15 they won 55 games. '15-16 they won 42 games. '16-17 they won 43 games. I think they win 35-45 games this year. an 8 game drop off sounds steep but in a stacked western conference, someone's gotta lose...They beat the nuggets 3-0 last year, i expect 1-2 this year. they best the twolves 3-1 last year. I expect 1-3 this year. The grizzlies were 1-2 last year against the lakers. i'm calling the lakers 3-0 against the grizzlies this year. the lakers know we have to play 120% especially against the teams fighting for a playoff berth. that's a negative 5 win differential for the grizzlies right there alone. 

Nuggets won 30, 33, and 40 games in the '14-15, '15-16' and '16-17 seasons respectively. They've shown steady improvement each year and they have a young and exciting team. I don't think they've maxed out the potential on their roster like the grizzlies so I think they have some room to grow. Going to have to watch out for them.

They were 6-10 NW, 8-10 PW, 5-13 SW in '14-15. 11-19 vs the East

They were 4-12 NW, 7-11 PW, 7-11 SW in '15-16. 15-15 vs the East

They were 6-10 NW, 12-6 PW, 6-12 SW in '16-17. 16-14 vs the East. 

- The nuggets are part of the NW which has the Jazz 3-1 (2-2 last year), OKC 1-3 (2-2 last year), Portland 2-2 (1-3 last year), and T'wolves 1-3 (2-2 last year. all the games were very close. Jimmy butler gives them the edge this year). 

-Pacific West - PW has Clippers 4-0 (3-1 last year, and the only game they lost was when the clippers were on fire last year), Lakers 1-2 (2-1 last year), Kings 3-1 (2-2 last year), Suns 4-0 (4-0 last year), Warriors 1-2 (1-2 last year). 

-Southwest - SW has Spurs 1-5 (0-6 last year, all of them were blowout losses except the win by the three points), Rockets 0-4 (0-4 last year), Grizzlies 2-1 (0-3 last year), Pelicans 2-2 (3-1 last year, some close games), and Mavs 3-1 (3-1 last year). 

- +0 NW, +1 PW, +2 SW. Total of +3 wins in the west. 2 of those wins against the grizzlies as well. 

- how much weaker can the east have gotten? 

The T'wolves won 31 games last year and added jeff teague, taj gibson, and jimmy butler. oh they also got rid of rubio. he can pass the ball but he can't keep the defense honest because he can't shoot. that's definitely a +12 win improvement. we don't have to look for reasons why they'll make the playoffs, but rather, reasons why they won't. that's an important distinction, because we're looking at reasons why the lakers will make the playoffs, why the nuggets will make it, why the clippers wont, why the jazz wont, why the grizzlies wont. The t'wolves are going to the playoffs this year. too much talent not too. 

If someone can do some number crunching for how the lakers did against the teams fighting for a playoff spot last year and how they expect them to do this year against those teams, i'd appreciate it. we're not tanking anymore, we have a much better team, and we play 20-24 games against the t'wolves, blazers, nuggets, grizzlies, pelicans, and the grizzlies. that's a lot of room for us to make some moves and climb up the standings. based off the number crunching i've done so far + eye test, i believe the lakers can make a 15-20 win improvement this season. 

#78 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,022 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 18, 2017 - 11:31 AM

These are the teams battling it out for the fifth through eight seeds in the playoffs this year: 

T'wolves, nuggets, pelicans, grizzlies, blazers, clippers, jazz.

We need to be better than three of them. I'm calling the jazz, clippers, and i'll take the grizzlies to be worse than the nuggets this year. 

T'wolves and Pelicans fight for the 5th and 6th seed.

Lakers, Blazers and Nuggets fight for the 7th and 8th seed. 

warriors, rockets, thunder, and spurs take the top four seeds.

jazz, clippers, and grizzlies will be in no-mans land.

suns, kings, and mavs will be in the basement this year.  

The Clippers and Jazz won 51 games last year. The clippers lost CP3 and the Jazz lost Hayward and Hill. They both have great pieces in Blake Griffen + DeAndre Jordan and Rudy Gobert, but I honestly believe the Lakers can be better than them. And I'm not saying that as a Laker fan. The Clippers basically replaced half their team in the CP3 trade. They'll need to make some adjustments. Blake Griffen is unfortunately almost always getting injured and they're going to be using him a lot more now that CP3 is gone. Danilo Galinari is a good player but how much does he really move the needle for them? 

The Grizzlies won 43 games last year. They're a year older. They lost Zach Randolph. Tony Allen will be 35 1/2 when he starts the season. 36 in January. Tony Allen vs Father Time. I think he'll be good but not as good this year. How much more can Marc Gasol do? He added a three point shot to his game last year. He's always been a good passer. Good jumpshot. Great defender. '14-15 they won 55 games. '15-16 they won 42 games. '16-17 they won 43 games. I think they win 35-45 games this year. an 8 game drop off sounds steep but in a stacked western conference, someone's gotta lose...They beat the nuggets 3-0 last year, i expect 1-2 this year. they best the twolves 3-1 last year. I expect 1-3 this year. The grizzlies were 1-2 last year against the lakers. i'm calling the lakers 3-0 against the grizzlies this year. the lakers know we have to play 120% especially against the teams fighting for a playoff berth. that's a negative 5 win differential for the grizzlies right there alone. 

Nuggets won 30, 33, and 40 games in the '14-15, '15-16' and '16-17 seasons respectively. They've shown steady improvement each year and they have a young and exciting team. I don't think they've maxed out the potential on their roster like the grizzlies so I think they have some room to grow. Going to have to watch out for them.

They were 6-10 NW, 8-10 PW, 5-13 SW in '14-15. 11-19 vs the East

They were 4-12 NW, 7-11 PW, 7-11 SW in '15-16. 15-15 vs the East

They were 6-10 NW, 12-6 PW, 6-12 SW in '16-17. 16-14 vs the East. 

- The nuggets are part of the NW which has the Jazz 3-1 (2-2 last year), OKC 1-3 (2-2 last year), Portland 2-2 (1-3 last year), and T'wolves 1-3 (2-2 last year. all the games were very close. Jimmy butler gives them the edge this year). 

-Pacific West - PW has Clippers 4-0 (3-1 last year, and the only game they lost was when the clippers were on fire last year), Lakers 1-2 (2-1 last year), Kings 3-1 (2-2 last year), Suns 4-0 (4-0 last year), Warriors 1-2 (1-2 last year). 

-Southwest - SW has Spurs 1-5 (0-6 last year, all of them were blowout losses except the win by the three points), Rockets 0-4 (0-4 last year), Grizzlies 2-1 (0-3 last year), Pelicans 2-2 (3-1 last year, some close games), and Mavs 3-1 (3-1 last year). 

- +0 NW, +1 PW, +2 SW. Total of +3 wins in the west. 2 of those wins against the grizzlies as well. 

- how much weaker can the east have gotten? 

The T'wolves won 31 games last year and added jeff teague, taj gibson, and jimmy butler. oh they also got rid of rubio. he can pass the ball but he can't keep the defense honest because he can't shoot. that's definitely a +12 win improvement. we don't have to look for reasons why they'll make the playoffs, but rather, reasons why they won't. that's an important distinction, because we're looking at reasons why the lakers will make the playoffs, why the nuggets will make it, why the clippers wont, why the jazz wont, why the grizzlies wont. The t'wolves are going to the playoffs this year. too much talent not too. 

If someone can do some number crunching for how the lakers did against the teams fighting for a playoff spot last year and how they expect them to do this year against those teams, i'd appreciate it. we're not tanking anymore, we have a much better team, and we play 20-24 games against the t'wolves, blazers, nuggets, grizzlies, pelicans, and the grizzlies. that's a lot of room for us to make some moves and climb up the standings. based off the number crunching i've done so far + eye test, i believe the lakers can make a 15-20 win improvement this season. 

Clips lost more than CP3 right?

Also JJ

Their starting 3 Mbeh luc bmeh or something (cant spell his name w/o looking it up)

(so 3 starters)

And J Crossover,

Mo Speights probably

Bass?

That team will look very different.

Still make playoffs though imo (either 6 or 7....minny at 5?)

Edited by kball, July 18, 2017 - 11:32 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#79 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 88 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 11:40 AM

I actually forgot about JJ. just knew the team had a lot of new players. CP3 was a huge part of their success (JJ too) and i don't think blake griffen will be enough to get em to the playoffs. I know the nuggets were 3-1 against the clippers last year. it'd be interesting to see how they fared against the other playoff hopeful teams. 

i think the t'wolves and pelicans make the best case for 5th and 6th seed. Anthony davis + Cousins. Best power forward and center playing together. not getting in each others way. both rebound very well. decent defense by cousins and elite defense by davis. both can spread the floor and shoot threes. and jrue holiday at the point. idk how strong their bench is but that's a very solid starting five no matter whose at the 2 and 3. The t'wolves have towns (whose quickly making a case for best center), wiggens (not the best shooting guard  or forward but still very good) and butler. one of the best two way players in the league rn. they have a solid team. strong defense with the ability to put points on the board. best combination. 

Clips lost more than CP3 right?

Also JJ

Their starting 3 Mbeh luc bmeh or something (cant spell his name w/o looking it up)

(so 3 starters)

And J Crossover,

Mo Speights probably

Bass?

That team will look very different.

Still make playoffs though imo (either 6 or 7....minny at 5?)

#80 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 880 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 18, 2017 - 11:51 AM

Lakers aren't making the playoffs without playing any D, and we are alergic to that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users