Photo

Do the Lakers make the playoffs this year?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,141 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted July 14, 2017 - 01:23 PM

if we finish at 9-11 id be glad

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#42 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,848 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 14, 2017 - 02:50 PM

Maj..Pels with 50 wins?

Seems high given how many good west teams

My feeling is 3-4 teams in the 42-47 win area

(Maybe not even top 4 all win 50?)

....and no way Sac finishes in basement.

Cant see that at all

Edited by kball, July 14, 2017 - 02:52 PM.

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#43 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,452 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 02:51 PM

Sooo, the Thunder are winning 61 games (most in franchise history, more than they ever did with KD and a complete team)?

Wow, you must really want PG to stay there.
  • GCMD,     and MaceWindu like this

#44 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 8,165 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 07:05 PM

We can make the playoffs.

• DeeZee likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#45 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,141 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted July 14, 2017 - 10:13 PM

Sooo, the Thunder are winning 61 games (most in franchise history, more than they ever did with KD and a complete team)?

ahahahahahahahaha thats what i also thought

insane people

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#46 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:09 PM

PG13 to the Lakers next year, even without a super-star team-up, justifies the Moz-Lopez deal.

That takes the wind out of the sails of all of the Magic-Pelinka Opposition Party.

"We didn't get 2 superstars" is a much weaker argument than "why trade Russell now"...that's what they are afraid of - being proven wrong for over-reacting.

tenor.gif

#47 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 835 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:26 PM

PG13 to the Lakers next year, even without a super-star team-up, justifies the Moz-Lopez deal.

That, and don't forget about pick 27. What if Kuzma turns out to be a really good prospect after his first season? Still, I think we could have got another pick from the Nets in that trade.
  • GCMD likes this

#48 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:31 PM

I will reserve my playoff prediction until the season starts.  We don't even know if some of the players on this team will be on this team in Oct/Nov.

Based on this current roster, I think we could theoretically get a max of 42 wins if we played at the highest pace in the NBA and didn't sink below 20th defensively.  This team is built to put a LOT of points on the board.  We could see this team go up by 20 in over half of our games and blow the lead later in the games due to inexperience.

First 10 games will be crucial.  Even if we lose 7-8 of the first 10, if the culture changes and we show steady improvement, we will have a chance.

tenor.gif

#49 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:33 PM

That, and don't forget about pick 27. What if Kuzma turns out to be a really good prospect after his first season? Still, I think we could have got another pick from the Nets in that trade.

Kuzma vs Russell?  LOL...they wouldn't acknowledge that at all...that would hurt entirely too much to think a guy drafted late 1st round could help justify trading a former #2 pick...never gonna happen.

tenor.gif

#50 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 835 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted July 15, 2017 - 12:25 AM

Kuzma vs Russell?  LOL...they wouldn't acknowledge that at all...that would hurt entirely too much to think a guy drafted late 1st round could help justify trading a former #2 pick...never gonna happen.

I mean Kuzma + sign PG13, that was my point

#51 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,848 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 02:56 AM

I mean Kuzma + sign PG13, that was my point

This would justify trade of D'Lo as is, it can at least be argued.

But what possibly makes it a better deal from Lakers side is if all the extra minutes that Lonzo gets early on help accelerate the games of BI and even Randle that much quicker.

Either by upping their trade value sooner or making them foundational pieces for years to come in Laker gear.

Having said that, i think winning may be more a factor in their growth as players...and i'm less certain of that with such a brutal conference to deal with

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

#52 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,268 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 15, 2017 - 03:52 AM

Make it 59 or 58 if you want. They're still gonna be the 2nd or 3rd seed imo and really, that doesn't change the other teams in the top 8. 

I saw Westbrook carry that team to 47 wins, a 10 win improvement isn't out of the question with George added. So imo they're anywhere from 57-61 wins next year. Still top 2-3 so whether you switch/flip them or the Spurs it doesn't matter. 

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2017 - 03:55 AM.

• Ventiquattro likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#53 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,452 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 03:27 PM

I'll make it 55-57 wins.

They could very likely end up being the 4th seed. There's very little separation, if any, between them SAS, and HOU. The Carmelo trade will change that, however.

I understand you don't want them to fall to #4, cause then they'd play the Warriors in round 2, lose in 5, and George would waltz on over to the Lakers. But the good news is that unless George wins a championship or comes close to doing so + OKC improving their roster, he'll likely be a Laker anyway.

There's no realistic amount of wins or success you can give OKC that will kill the PG to LA hype.

#54 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,848 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 04:04 PM

I'll make it 55-57 wins.

They could very likely end up being the 4th seed. There's very little separation, if any, between them SAS, and HOU. The Carmelo trade will change that, however.

I understand you don't want them to fall to #4, cause then they'd play the Warriors in round 2, lose in 5, and George would waltz on over to the Lakers. But the good news is that unless George wins a championship or comes close to doing so + OKC improving their roster, he'll likely be a Laker anyway.

There's no realistic amount of wins or success you can give OKC that will kill the PG to LA hype.

Now if we can just figure out a way to get Donovan to give PG plenty of rest during the season

#55 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,101 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 15, 2017 - 04:10 PM

It sucks that Minny and Philly more than likely will make the playoffs before us

#56 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,848 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 04:14 PM

Why?

Minny with longest playoff drought in NBA.

Give them a break

#57 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,268 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 04:29 PM

I'll make it 55-57 wins.

My personal feelings on George using the Lakers name was because he wanted to be traded, and if he kept putting it out there he was gonna go to the Lakers or that any team would be a one year rental, it ensured if he was traded that team wouldn't gut their roster for him.  

The reason he/his agent also put it out there that he didn't want the Lakers to give up any pieces for him.  That's a league wide message.   

That essentially meant any team that traded for him, wasn't gonna give up the barn for him and he'd still be on a strong roster. 

Look what came of that. OKC got him by giving up Oladipo and a rookie Sabonis. 

So he's now on a top tier playoff team with the MVP that averaged a triple double last season and carried that team to 47 wins.  Great situation for him, and other teams (such as Boston, Portland,San Antonio, Houston, Lakers, Clippers) are still going to be there in the off-season to try to sign him and without gutted rosters.  He lowered his value enough to ensure that kind of outcome and it's worked. 

OKC is considered a perfect spot because nobody expects them to make the WCF this year and think that's the only way that George stays but they instantly think that if George leaves OKC that he's going to the Lakers.   We're gonna have a lot of competition for him.  It's gonna be us, vs Boston, Portland, San Antonio, OKC, Houston, Clippers for the chance at getting him.  So our best chance of nabbing him is by either having an "on the verge of breaking through" season, or another max free agent committing to us first before he does (Like LeBron or Cousins).  George has essentially said as much now that he's in position to. 

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2017 - 04:30 PM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#58 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,452 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 04:51 PM

You're wrong. Your personal feelings on what George was doing are wrong, and you're wrong about pretty much everything else as well.

PG (this past Thursday in the Woj pod) on whether or not he expected the Lakers to trade for him:
You know I did, especially knowing my ties to LA and my outreach of wanting to play home. I thought so but it didn't happen.

And no, Boston, Portland, and Houston won't be in the running to sign George because that have no cap space and can't clear any without a major move that breaks the core. Look at the cap situation for 2018 and comment on this again. The Clippers and Spurs will have space, but I have no reason to believe George will entertain going there if he hasn't done so all summer.

And lastly...no, George is not going to stay if the Thunder make the WCF. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to grasp...he's not going to throw LA down the drain because he went to the WCF and lost to the Warriors in 5.

Edited by Massacre, July 15, 2017 - 04:51 PM.

• LACAS likes this

#59 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,268 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 08:16 PM

You're wrong. Your personal feelings on what George was doing are wrong, and you're wrong about pretty much everything else as well.

PG (this past Thursday in the Woj pod) on whether or not he expected the Lakers to trade for him:
You know I did, especially knowing my ties to LA and my outreach of wanting to play home. I thought so but it didn't happen.

And no, Boston, Portland, and Houston won't be in the running to sign George because that have no cap space and can't clear any without a major move that breaks the core. Look at the cap situation for 2018 and comment on this again. The Clippers and Spurs will have space, but I have no reason to believe George will entertain going there if he hasn't done so all summer.

And lastly...no, George is not going to stay if the Thunder make the WCF. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to grasp...he's not going to throw LA down the drain because he went to the WCF and lost to the Warriors in 5.

But he'll come here to lose in 4 to the Warriors in the first round 8th seed vs 1st seed matchup? 

If the thunder make the WCF it will be very hard for him to walk away from.  I wouldn't treat it as an absolute that he'd leave if they make the WCF.   

George also said he wants to win, because he hasn't been a winner in his career as of yet so he isn't leaving a WCF team that lost in 5 for a first round team that will lose in 4 till Lonzo and Ingram are about 2-3 more seasons in.   

I doubt he feels he owes anything to the Lakers tbh and that loyalty stuff really doesn't matter in today's NBA anymore.   These max level free agents in their late 20s/early 30s want to win and make money. And will go to the best combination of winning + money they can find, we can only offer one of those things, till Lonzo and Ingram are ready to take that next step, and rookie/2nd year isn't that time.   I also really aren't on the "But Paul George promised!" train either, he doesn't owe us anything and is gonna make the best choice for moving forward in his career, not backwards. 

I guess people will assume Paul George will feel like he owes us anything even if we aren't offering him his best chance at winning. But he won't if he feels that we aren't the best place for him to win at. Especially with the West getting tougher, he'll go for what's best for him, not us. Then again everyone said I was crazy when I said KD was going to the Warriors because they'd have the money to get him, preached that the majority of the season and was crucified for it and the reasoning's behind it. But look what happened. It's not a fairytale, it's about money +  winning. If it was about anything else Aldridge would have stayed in Portland, KD would have stayed in OKC, and Hayward would have stayed in Utah, but that also helped us because IF Hayward had stayed in Utah, we wouldn't have KCP right now.    So that actually helped us big time, and Ainge sending Bradley to Detroit in order to make the space for Hayward is what caused them to renounce KCP and we got him in free agency.   So there's even positives to this kind of thing happening. 

Paul George will choose what's best for Paul George, not the Lakers. At the end of the day that will be what matters most. 

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#60 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,452 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 08:35 PM

First of all, you can reference KD all you want and pat yourself on the back for it, but you weren't even the first one on this board to mention it iirc. Not sure why you're referencing being right about a crazy situation where KD surprised the entire league and decided that he needed to join a super team to win a ring. But hey congrats, I know you like proving to others you're right about stuff.

Anyways, you're really as clueless as can be on this PG situation. George has been interested in the Lakers for months now, but you want to suddenly spin it to him only wanting to play for a winner. Other things matter. I'm not sure why this idea is so difficult for you to understand. Does he want to win, yes...who doesn't, but he's a local dude who has a lot to gain from coming here off the court, and he sees THAT as what's best for him, regardless of whatever narrative you want to push. My reasoning is based on facts and actual reports from the game's trusted reporters and PG himself saying he thought the Lakers would trade for him and he hoped they would. Yours is based on what exactly?

I understand you're pissed at the current regime, and don't want them to succeed or land any free agents, but you're entire line of thinking on this PG situation is delusional. Actually, I'm just going to stop typing and ignore your fantasy take on this from here on out.
  • bfc1125roy likes this

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users